Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-12-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5-year contract could net Allen $100.5 million

5-year contract could net Allen $100.5 million

By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter

Contrary to published reports, the Sonics have no intention of trading Ray Allen, their leading scorer and co-captain, and are working on a deal that will keep him in Seattle through the 2009-10 season.

General manager Rick Sund began conversations with Allen's agents about a five-year contract extension that could pay the four-time All-Star shooting guard as much as $100.5 million.

Sund characterized the discussions as "philosophical talks" that both sides intend to use as a guideline for what could be a lengthy and potentially cantankerous negotiation process.

Allen's agent, Lon Babby, is expected to fly to Seattle in two weeks to meet with the Sonics and exchange contract proposals.

"We're hopeful we can sit down and talk with Ray and get some type of extension done before next season," said Sund, who added there's no timetable.

According to a source familiar with the negotiations, the Sonics are willing to commit more than $70 million to Allen, who turned 29 last month, but the team is unsure if he's deserving of a maximum contract ($100.5 million).

Thirty-one of the roughly 410 players in the NBA have maximum contracts, but that number is dwindling as teams become more cost conscious.

Since the 2003-04 season concluded, free agents have collected close to $1 billion, but no one other than Kobe Bryant has been given a maximum deal that compares to what Allen could receive.

"You're going to see less and less of those $100 million contracts being thrown around," said a Western Conference GM. "Unless you're one of the handful of guys competing for the MVP (award), then (teams) have to ask themselves, is he worth it?"

Allen, who turned 29 last month, will earn $14.5 million next season. Since arriving in Seattle in a trade that shipped Gary Payton to Milwaukee in 2003, Allen averaged 24.5 points in 29 games two seasons ago and 23.0 points last season.

Because the collective bargaining agreement expires after the 2004-05 season, the uncertainty of the new agreement may push Allen to opt for the security of a guaranteed contract rather than a potentially more lucrative contract as an unrestricted free agent.

With an extension, Allen also wouldn't have to worry about a possible injury decreasing his value on the free-agent market. Last year, he missed 25 games because of ankle surgery.

The Sonics, with just $21 million in guaranteed salaries next season, would benefit from a deal because they would have a clearer definition of the team they're trying to build.

If the sides are unable to work out an agreement, then expect the Sonics to shop Allen near the trading deadline. If he were to finish the season in Seattle without an extension, then the team would have roughly $24 million in salary-cap money.

Still, the chances of those scenarios coming to fruition hinge upon the negotiations.

The recent trade rumors, such as a report in the Toronto Sun last week that quoted an unnamed source saying that Allen was interested in joining the Raptors, will have no bearing on the contract talks.

"As far as I can tell that's all interesting speculation," he said. "It's not based on anything that we're doing or that Ray's doing."

Babby, who also represents Luke Ridnour, said he has an amicable relationship with Sund. The two negotiated deals for Grant Hill and Jerome Williams when Sund was an executive with the Pistons.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of
Default RE:5-year contract could net Allen $100.5 million

Christ... does he worth SO much?
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: 5-year contract could net Allen $100.5 million

He's not worth it. No other 2 guard is worth it except Kobe and TMac because they're both in their mid-20s. He would end up like Finley. Even though he's still above average, he won't be worth the contract.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:23 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I don't know if anyone is worth $100 million over 5 years for just playing basketball. Certainly a player with Allen's age and abilities isn't. He's a really good and still has a few good years left in his prime. However, no way is he worth that.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 PM   #5
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

allen shouldn't be making more than 10-11 mill...it's amazing when you compare nba salaries to nfl salaries though..a premier running back is lucky to make 6 or 7 mill per year and their contracts aren't even guaranteed

if this extension goes through, seattle will be bitching about cap space in 2 years when ray allen starts missing games with knee problems

all seattle really needs at this point is a rebounding and shot blocking big man..like the mavericks..erick dampier fits the description but they don't have any pieces to give up for him
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 PM   #6
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I don't think Ray Allen is that special a player.. sure, he can jack it up 25 times a game and score 20 points, but does he bring ANYTHING else to the table? He's pretty blantant about how much of a ballhog he is.

He's a good example of a player that would rather dance in the spotlight with high scoring efforts and lucrative merchandising deals. I honestly think he would rather lead the league in scoring than win an NBA title.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 02:07 AM   #7
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

OVERPAID
Old 08-13-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Allen is one of the most overrated players in the league....good shooter/average defender at best/average passer/average rebounder......remind me, what makes this guy worth anything more than an average salary??? Oh, because hes in the three point shoot out every year!!!! *sheesh*

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote