Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-17-2004, 05:49 PM   #1
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default A strange scence.......Yao actually gets angry

If anyone doesn’t know, Yao got upset with his Chinese teammates and threatened to retire from international competition after a frustrating 83-58 blowout loss to Spain a few days ago.

Since then, the Chinese media has been claiming that Yao has become "Americanized," just like one Wang Zhi Zhi, who left the CNT high and dry.

Today, Yao came out angry.....and literally took his frustrations out on New Zealand, Karl Malone style. Yao threw numerous Karl Malone-esqe elbows and initiated tons of contact on an undersized NZ team....virtually picking on them like he was the neighborhood bully.

If that wasn’t enough, he apparently got tired of one New Zealander (#10 Dillon Boucher) talking trash and threw him to the floor.

Who knew this chap had it in him....

BTW....he also scored 39 points, leading his team to victory. He was the only player in double figures for CNT.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Basketball: China's Yao Takes Anger Out on New Zealand

By Alan Crosby

ATHENS (Reuters) - An angry Yao Ming took his frustrations out on New Zealand at the Olympic men's basketball tournament on Tuesday, pouring in 39 points as China beat the Kiwis 69-62.

The 23-year-old Yao, who at 2.29 meters (7 ft 6 in) is the tallest man in Olympic history, was so disappointed when China lost their opening match to Spain that he threatened to retire from international play.

But Tuesday's performance, which included 13 rebounds, should go a long way to changing the feelings of the Houston Rockets' all-star.

"He's not going to retire. When you interview a player right after a very bad performance, not giving him time to rest a bit, he might say something he doesn't really mean," said coach Del Harris, a NBA veteran who was brought in to prepare the Chinese team with an eye on the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Forward Phillip Jones led New Zealand with 23 points but the team as a whole had a poor effort from the field, hitting only 23 of 66 shots.

"Too much Yao, not enough outside shooting," said San Antonio Spurs forward Sean Marks.

Story Link....

A pic....seconds before Yao throws Dillion Boucher to the floor

Old 08-17-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:A strange scence.......Yao actually gets angry

Well it's about fricking time!
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road

Yao's starting to not look like that skinny chap a few years ago. T-mac and Yao is looking scary.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road

the league might be in trouble. I think he is ready to take over as most dominant center....at least in the west.

Does anyone think that he has a chance to be better than shaq NEXT year????????
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 AM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Yao's got size and he sure got game. But he's low on stamina. I haven't seen him being very effective against running teams in the 4th quarter. I haven't also seen him play consistently well late in the season or in the playoffs. Until he shows that he could do that for a year or two, I'm not nearly as concerned of him as I am of TD or KG.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 01:14 AM   #6
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Wow, Yao looks scary when mad. Watch out NBA

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:06 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

If I was 6'4" I wouldnt mess with a buff 7'6" monster. I'm 5'4" and I would piss myself if Yao even talked trash to me.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:12 AM   #8
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
If I was 6'4" I wouldnt mess with a buff 7'6" monster. I'm 5'4" and I would piss myself if Yao even talked trash to me.

I think this Boucher fellow should get some sort of "Idiot of the Year" nomination.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 04:26 AM   #9
NBAGnome

NBAGnome is on a distinguished road

Man what if Yao comes through with a large improvement this year, say 20/10 on 55% FG? I could see that happening...the thing that scares me about Yao is his offensive efficiency. The guy already shoots over 50% AND he makes 80%+ of his Free Throws...thats tough to handle.

AND he gets McGrady, whom has opted to skip the olympics and rest, whom is coming into this situation with lots of motivation, and whom by all reports has been working out very hard this summer in preparation.

Houston has some other decent pieces too, Jimmy Jackson a underrated veteran who is a good defender and shooter, Juwan Howard a decent PF. Thats 4 of the 5 starters as solid pieces. Point Guard is going to be undermanned, but hell you got McGrady the point guard doesn't need to be handling the ball much.

The West just is too loaded...you have the proven powerhouses and now all of these successful franchises that made major improvements and are poised to make a jump (Denver, Utah, Houston). I have no idea how the standings will go, it will certainly be interesting. I hope the mavs can make the step back to a powerhouse team as well.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #10
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Crouching tiger, hidden dragon.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 09:06 AM   #11
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: NBAGnome
Man what if Yao comes through with a large improvement this year, say 20/10 on 55% FG? I could see that happening...the thing that scares me about Yao is his offensive efficiency. The guy already shoots over 50% AND he makes 80%+ of his Free Throws...thats tough to handle.

AND he gets McGrady, whom has opted to skip the olympics and rest, whom is coming into this situation with lots of motivation, and whom by all reports has been working out very hard this summer in preparation.

Houston has some other decent pieces too, Jimmy Jackson a underrated veteran who is a good defender and shooter, Juwan Howard a decent PF. Thats 4 of the 5 starters as solid pieces. Point Guard is going to be undermanned, but hell you got McGrady the point guard doesn't need to be handling the ball much.

The West just is too loaded...you have the proven powerhouses and now all of these successful franchises that made major improvements and are poised to make a jump (Denver, Utah, Houston). I have no idea how the standings will go, it will certainly be interesting. I hope the mavs can make the step back to a powerhouse team as well.

On paper, Houston's a better team now than last year. But they haven't reached a level yet where they'd scare the rest of the league.
Detroit and SA are probably the only teams that I'd put ahead of us now. Every other team has holes in their roster and we all know Houston certainly got a few.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote