Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Expect Daniels to be gone, too

I have been a little pessimistic with my post the last couple of days because I was expecting Suns to offer Nash 5 year $60+ contract and it appears they have.

I now expect Daniels to be gone as well. Why? We still need a legitimate center and we will need an experienced veteran PG if we expect to go anywhere this year. And it will take the MLE to get one if not both of those players.

If by some chance we end up with Shaq in 60 days then we can leave with Harris at the PG because Shaq and Dirk will make up for some of his rookie mistakes.

But I am more pessimistic about Shaq than I was a week ago.

At one point I would have been willing to go with Ostertag at center this year if we had retained Nash and Daniels. Now, we I believe we will need a decidedly upgrade over Ostertag at center. That is going to take a big chunk if not all of the MLE. We can find a stop gap veteran PG for a year with either the vet minimum or the LLE.

The only other option is to trade for the vet PG and C.

As a fan of the Mavs, I have to be realistic and realize that we will not be in on Dampier. We will have far more competition for Dampier than we will for Shaq.

When you start to look at the other available centers via trade we are back to the Usual Suspects.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 08:30 PM   #2
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Expect Daniels to be gone, too

I expect Daniels to stay. Nash leaving gives him more playing time and the Mavs have done everything right for this young man. I doubt that any club will offer significantly more money and no one will offer more playing time. Plus the Mavs will be in the playoffs and the other clubs in the running for Daniels won't be anywhere near the playoffs for awhile.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
uberfan
Golden Member

I'll stand by reasoning above.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I don't think either position that you listed (legitimate center and experienced veteran PG) can be acquired by the MLE. Who do you think is going to help the club that will sign for so little money?

Trades using our expiring contracts is how we will fill those holes.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 PM   #5
uberfan
Golden Member

Who are you going to trade for, Moochie Norris and Motumbo? There are not that many centers with huge contracts that other teams want to trade not named Shaq. Any other center that is available via trade is no better than what is availalbe as a FA. Most of the available FAs will probably be signed at the MLE since most teams are limited to that amount. (Blount, Foyle, etc)

Old 07-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

at Daniels age you go for the money....but I still dont think he gets more than the 5 mil that the Mavs have to offer......but his playing time will go up since Nash is gone

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Daniels will stay because he'll be the starting pg.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:56 PM   #8
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Daniels won't be the PG. He will be the 2 guard. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stefansson start at PG with Daniels at 2.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:24 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
Daniels won't be the PG. He will be the 2 guard. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stefansson start at PG with Daniels at 2.

Mavs are doomed if the above happens. BTW, why wouldn't Harris or Daniels start over Steffanson?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:23 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: uberfan
I don't think either position that you listed (legitimate center and experienced veteran PG) can be acquired by the MLE. Who do you think is going to help the club that will sign for so little money?

Trades using our expiring contracts is how we will fill those holes.
MP was right?

Oh wait, I was thinking of MT.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:59 AM   #11
Lonely PSU Mavs Fan

Lonely PSU Mavs Fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose

WHy on Earth would Stefansson start? We Drafted Harris to be our point guard, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is better than stefansson.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #12
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

If someone offers Daniels more than $5Mil a year I'd be surprised.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Expect Daniels to be gone, too

I really like what I saw from stefansson last year in the few times I saw him. Not that he had a lot of experience but his handles were out of this world and he was very quick.

I've never seen harris, but jon did make an impression on me.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote