Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Shaq to Miami?

On Hoopshype.com there is a link to a Riverside newspaper saying a deal is being discussed to send Shaq to Miami for Grant and Odom + filler.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #2
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Shaq to Miami?

odom would be the perfect sidekick to bryant imo
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Grant and Medvedenko would make one heck of a 1,2 punch IMO.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 AM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

I think Miami is going to have to include Dwayne Wade to make it work. Wow! That trade makes LAL instant favorites again.

What if Miami ends up with Shaq, Payton, and Malone with Caron Butler at SF and Eddie Jones at SG. Sure they are much older again but become contenders in the East.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shaq to Miami?

Miami would not include Dwayne Wade.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Miami would not include Dwayne Wade.
They would be stupid to do so, btu don't be so sure. They would instantly be a favorite.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'll eat my shorts if they do. After what Dwayne did in the playoffs last year I just don't think they'd give him up. Plus, they're already short on depth, so I'm not so sure it would make them the fav's. If I'm Miami Wade's a deal-breaker.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #8
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I mentioned the article in the track a Shaq thread, but I guess if a whole thread is warranted fine.

Miami refuses to give up Wade, according to the article. I suspect it is much for the same reason as Dallas not giving up Dirk: Miami knows shaq alone can't get it done.

I looked at the numbers. I doesn't look like it works. Odom has a trade kicker, but I doubt it is enough make the deal work. If you added a sign and trade Samaki Walker or John Wallace to a 1 year minimum deal, it might work, but I don't know for sure.

If I am LA I am very tempted to do this deal. It depends on how much LA wants cap space in the future, which this deal offers none of. And how much they want to ship Shaq to the East.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:19 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Has Miami's ownership situation been formally resolved? I can't recall (and to be honest haven't really been that interested). What is Riley's role now?

I can see them doing it. Shaq would put butts in seats. Wade had a great playoff run and is undoubtedly a rising NBA Star, but he can't sell the season tickets like Shaq could. I can see them including Wade. I certainly see your point though.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bet money they don't include Wade.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Shaq to an eastern conference team, surrounded by scrubs (assuming they include Wade) is not a bad idea if we can't get him here.

What I found more interesting is that the article says LA has 5 or 6 offers on the table, pretty close to the number of teams Shaq said he'd go to. It also seems like they've come to the conclusion that they are going to trade him, and as an added bonus, Sacramento has backed out.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:30 AM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I'll bet money they don't include Wade.
I'd bet money that the Mavs wouldn't trade Dirk, but wouldn't be surprised if ultimately it happened.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:53 AM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'd bet money that the Mavs wouldn't trade Dirk, but wouldn't be surprised if ultimately it happened.
I'd be stunned.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:01 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
I'd be stunned.
I'd be pissed. I just wouldn't be surprised.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:04 PM   #15
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Mavs are going to get effed. No Shaq. Not even Dampier. And we're going to have to watch Stackhouse & Walker fight for the ball until February.

BTW - Nash's contract details from Chad Ford:

Speaking of the Suns, if you do the math, the team shouldn't be able to fit both Nash's five-year, $65 million deal and Q's six-year, $50 million deal into its existing cap room.

That's because we've been misreporting the Nash deal to a certain extent. According to a source who's seen the offer sheet, Nash's deal is guaranteed for six years at $60 million, not five years at $65. Year six is only partially guaranteed. Nash could get up to $66 million for six years if he reaches all of his incentives. But for cap purposes, it's six for $60 million, meaning his deal averages $10 million per. Suddenly, that doesn't sound quite as outrageous as Mark Cuban makes it sound.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #16
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Suddenly, that doesn't sound quite as outrageous as Mark Cuban makes it sound.
but suddenly, Cuban's offer doesn't look as bad as Steve wants us to think.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #17
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Quote:
Suddenly, that doesn't sound quite as outrageous as Mark Cuban makes it sound.
but suddenly, Cuban's offer doesn't look as bad as Steve wants us to think.

Call it an oversimplification, but I just think Nash left because he was fed-up with Dallas. Money was just part of the equation. Consider the Draft trade, and bringing in Harris so that he could be "tutored" by Nash. Comments by Cuban saying that Nash is starting to break-down, and the persistent rumors that he was going to be part of a trade for obtaining Shaq, etc. All of these statement implied that Nash was no longer a priority for the Mavs.

I'm not disappointed in losing Nash himself, I'm disappointed that Cuban lost an opportunity to use Nash as part of a trade for Shaq, or any other important piece. We lost him for nothing!

It won't be long before we begin to hear grumblings from Dirk (missing his buddy), and from Finley (when he sees his playing time cut short by Howard, Daniels and Stackhouse). I will be surprised if Najera, Jon (wanting to at least make the 12 man playing roster), and Fortson don't flare up as well....

This will be the worst chemistry year ever for the Mavs if they don't make any other moves...
Old 07-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #18
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

If Kobe+Shaq+Malone+Payton couldn't do it....why could Wade+Shaq. That team would be horrible!!! Plus LA gets no capspace to pursue free agents before 2007. I thought Shaq wanted to win some rings???
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:27 PM   #19
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

If Shaq doesn't come here then I'd like to see him go East. The Heat would be fine with me.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:43 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Is anybody scared of a Laker team with a core of Kobe, Payton, Odom, Butler, and Grant?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:44 PM   #21
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Is anybody scared of a Laker team with a core of Kobe, Payton, Odom, Butler, and Grant?
Not I.

I'd rank them in the lower half of the Western playoff teams.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #22
Max Power
Banned

And don't forget that Shaq can be traded by the Heat at ANY time as long as he is not combined with another player. Maybe we don't have the pieces the Lakers want but it is more likely we can do business with the Heat.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:08 PM   #23
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
More scared than I am of Kobe, Payton, Stackhouse, Walker and Laetner.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:16 PM   #24
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Fair enough, but with Odom and Grant they're pretty much locked in. With Walker and Laettner they can reload with a top free agent in a year.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:20 PM   #25
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Quote:
Solid, but not scary. I don't know if you can get away with Grant at the 5 in the west.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #26
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Wow it feels so much like the trade and draft board!

and
Quote:
On Hoopshype.com there is a link to a Riverside newspaper
the only source for reputable NBA news...
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #27
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fair enough, but with Odom and Grant they're pretty much locked in. With Walker and Laettner they can reload with a top free agent in a year.
There's the question. But they also won't have to play Shaq 8-11 times a year to get to the NBA Finals.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:26 PM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Touche.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #29
Dooby
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Psychedelic Fuzz
Quote:
Solid, but not scary. I don't know if you can get away with Grant at the 5 in the west.
Yeah, but Shaq would then be in the east, making it a heck of a lot easier to play 5 in the West.

Yao plays center; who else? Duncan plays 4. KG plays 4. Brad Miller? If I am LA, I take my chances with Grant.

Old 07-08-2004, 02:52 PM   #30
uberfan
Golden Member

And Dallas can get by with a 3 headed center.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:45 PM   #31
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Wow it feels so much like the trade and draft board!

and
Quote:
the Dallas Mourning News is pretty reputable, and they are reporting it too.

THis proposed deal dosn't work cap wise, there will have to be more players included for the Heat. Odom/Grant/??? or Walker/Stack/Howard, the lakers woul definately be bigger with the heat deal, and they wouldn't have to deal with him in the West. I agree with those of u saying the Heat team wouldn't scare you. They are probobly good enough to finish top 3 in the East though. Grant is getting OLD, and Odom is only 1 star, looks like Shaq's value is slipping. WOULD SHAQ RE-SIGN with the Heat, I doubt that highly, infact i even the Heat was on that list of teams, i believe this leak was made to merely try and up his value, but if Shaq can be had for 1 young star and an OLDplayer with an unfriendly cap number in Grant, i believe his value just decreased.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:01 PM   #32
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the Dallas Mourning News is pretty reputable, and they are reporting it too.
Here's the LA article........

Link......
If you don't want to register, just read it here.

Shaq must go, Lakers conclude

CHANGES: A deal with Miami is a possibility, Tomjanovich is coming, and Kobe is a wild card.
02:11 AM PDT on Thursday, July 8, 2004
By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

The Lakers, on the verge of signing Rudy Tomjanovich as their new coach, have come to the conclusion that they must try to "deal" Shaquille O'Neal since he won't relent on his trade demands, team sources said Wednesday night.

Sources said Lakers owner Jerry Buss is willing to trade O'Neal, whom Buss grew angry at back during training camp in Hawaii in October when he yelled at Buss, "Now you gonna pay me," during an exhibition game.

"Just like the coach deal with Phil (Jackson) being let go, Dr. Buss thinks it's time to deal Shaq," a team source said.

Lawyers for Tomjanovich and the Lakers were working on the details of a deal for him to replace Phil Jackson, sources said. The Lakers may make an announcement by Friday.

And free agent Kobe Bryant met with four teams, including the Lakers and the Clippers.

Sources said Buss is upset because O'Neal rarely works out during the offseason, comes to camp out of shape - two things Bryant said when he lambasted O'Neal before the regular season - and always wants more money.

Sources said it has been difficult to work a trade for O'Neal because his representatives "shoot down" deals. O'Neal has said he wants to go to a warm weather city. The sources said the Sacramento Kings, a team O'Neal wants to go to, backed out of discussions.

The Lakers have fielded about 17 or 18 offers, narrowed them down to about five or six and are now looking at a deal with the Miami Heat that would include former Clipper Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and probably a first-round draft pick, sources said.

Odom is considered a base-year compensation player, meaning only a portion of his $9 million salary for next season is available. But all of it can be used by July 14. Grant makes $13.2 million.

The Lakers would like rookie sensation Dwayne Wade, but the Heat won't part with him, sources said.

"It's not going to be a fair deal all the way around," a Lakers source said.

To make any deal work, the Lakers would have to come within 15 percent plus $100,000 of O'Neal's $27.6 million salary for next season.

Buss doesn't want to give O'Neal, a three-time MVP of the NBA Finals, the two-year, $60 million extension he wants.

Tomjanovich tried to contact O'Neal, sources said, but had no luck. The league sources said O'Neal left a message for Tomjanovich.

Old 07-08-2004, 04:31 PM   #33
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

2 things strike me regarding this article:

1) The Lakers, it appears, ARE going to trade Shaq.
2) Sacramento is OUT on the deal.

I'm sure Shaq wouldn't mind going to Miami...but I think this Dallas is his first option (will the Heat offer him an extension?)...I take all this as good news...
Old 07-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #34
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

The DMN article is merely a reprint by permission of the Calif story.

"To Miami" is just another media guess.

BUT - There are two items here that are important - LA will trade Shaq, and LA is indicating that SHAQ is controlling the destination
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #35
Dooby
Diamond Member

Near as I can tell, the Arison family still owns the majority of the Heat ans has since 94-95. If history is an guide, that ownership group gave both Alonzo Mourning and Juwan Howard huge deals in the span of a week (Howard's was later invalidated by the league and he resigned with Washington). They gave Pat Riley that big contract to coach and now GM, including part ownership. I think they paid luxury tax the first year of its existence, but don't know for sure. Would they give Shaq an extension? Possibly. Nothing indicates they wouldn't.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:16 PM   #36
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

would he accept it?
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 AM   #37
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but according to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith in the ESPN version of the story, the Mavericks and/or Pacers may also be involved in these conversations - making it a three way deal. No other specifics were given however.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #38
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but according to ESPN's Stephen A. Smith in the ESPN version of the story, the Mavericks and/or Pacers may also be involved in these conversations - making it a three way deal. No other specifics were given however.
sounds good.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #39
uberfan
Golden Member

Personally, I think we are out of the Shaq tradestakes because the Lakers are likely going to move him sooner rather than later. We have to wait before including Laettner and/or Stackhouse in any deal including other players.

Lakers are hoping that Mavs will include Dirk, Pacers include Jermaine, or Miami includes Wade. First one to blink wins Shaq. If no one blinks first and LAL starts to really feel the pressure from Kobe (read July 14th) then, all things being equal Lakers ship Shaq East. If Shaq is true to his "list" of teams he will accept, then the desitination is Miami.

If we are out of the running, then Mavs should do wahtever we can to "encourage" Shaq to Miami but going ahead and making whatever deals we can they make us better. In other words, proceed as if Shaq is no longer an option.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:28 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Personally, I think we are out of the Shaq tradestakes because the Lakers are likely going to move him sooner rather than later. We have to wait before including Laettner and/or Stackhouse in any deal including other players.
I agree that the Lakers will have to make a decision before the 14th, but I disagree with the premise that that eliminates the Mavs from the running. An agreement can be made at any time before August 23rd. It could already be made because such an agreement would be confidential up until it happened. I doubt that the agreement has been made because of Kobe, but it could be made now, which is the point.

The Lakers are playing chicken here really. They want to make the trade as soon as possible so they can work on the rest of things (and Kobe) but they also want to drag things on so they can get the best value from Shaq.