Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2003, 11:23 AM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Erwin Dudley --- Possible undrafted Free agent?

Would you give this guy a chance to try to make the roster in the offseason? He could be a Elton Brand type of player I guess.
I love this statement: Very strong...Has excellent footwork...Gets into good position on the court offensively, defensively, and rebounding wise...Loose balls and rebounds have a way of just finding him.

Definately sounds intrigueing!!!

Erwin Dudley
Birthdate: 9/2/81
NBA Position: Power Forward
College: Alabama
Class: Senior
Ht: 6-8
Wt: 260
Hometown: Uniontown
High School: R.C. Hatch

Pro Comparison: Udonis Haslem

Strengths: Very strong...Has excellent footwork...Gets into good position on the court offensively, defensively, and rebounding wise...Loose balls and rebounds have a way of just finding him...An intelligent player who gives relentless effort on the floor...Attacks the glass on both ends of the court, and gets points on offensive putbacks...Wide frame and great strength allow him to get off a shot in crowded lane...Solid man and team defender.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal height for an NBA PF, and is not an NBA caliber athlete...does not appear to have much room for improvement in his game..Little to no ball handling ability...Poor passer...Range on jumper ends at around 15 feet, and shoots a hard ball (flat with no touch, ball speeds off the rim on rebounds)...Does not posses many post moves...His scoring is limited to little more than power moves and putbacks...His lack of athleticism (i.e. quickness, leaping ability) will hurt defensively as most NBA PF's will likely be able to go around or shoot over him.

Notes: One of the top rebounders in SEC history well on his way to a third straight SEC rebounding crown...wide and powerful frame, but short for an NBA PF (6'8) and he does not have long arms...One of college basketball's better big men who appears to maxed out his game.

-Ben Egger

Unproven entity

Despite a solid career at Alabama, Erwin Dudley is having trouble getting noticed by NBA scouts

06/24/03

STEVE IRVINE
News staff writer

He has proven durability. Starting in 129 consecutive games not to mention never missing a practice because of an injury took care of that.

He has proven ability. Leading the Southeastern Conference in rebounding for three consecutive seasons and earning SEC MVP honors following one of those seasons took care of that.

What Erwin Dudley apparently didn't prove in four years at the University of Alabama is that he earned a place in Thursday's NBA draft.

Peruse the NBA mock drafts on a variety of Internet sites and the 6-foot-8, 260-pound Dudley is nowhere to be found in the two rounds of selections. Talk to a variety of NBA scouts, as Alabama coach Mark Gottfried has over the past two months, and you discover that those draft projections appear to be accurate.

Listen closely enough and the message is repeated.

"A lot of people have told me I'm not getting drafted," Dudley said.

Yet he will still settle in front of the television on Thursday night to watch the draft. He said he'll probably have a nervous feeling in his stomach and a bit of hope in his heart. Whether or not he hears his name called, Dudley will still harbor the same dream.

"I want to play in the NBA," the 21-year-old Uniontown native said.

Gottfried believes his star pupil will eventually do that. He says he has no doubt that Dudley has the ability to play in the NBA. He thinks plenty of teams will extend a training camp invitation to Dudley.

Gottfried also knows the reason that NBA teams are expected to pass on Dudley.

"A lot of people like him but unfortunately he hasn't been able to work out for teams because of his leg," Gottfried said. "It's kind of out of sight, out of mind."

Consider what Dudley did in his time in Tuscaloosa and it may be difficult to understand why Dudley fell out of sight from NBA scouts. He was an All-American as a junior. He was the first player since Shaquille O'Neal to lead the SEC in rebounding for three consecutive seasons. He reached double figures in scoring for four consecutive seasons.

For most, however, the college resume needs to be supplemented by impressive workouts with NBA teams.

Dudley fell out of sight about the same time he first set out to impress the NBA scouts.

It happened on April 9, just nine minutes into his first game at the Portsmouth Invitational, which is set up as the first audition camp for NBA scouts.

"My leg and knee got twisted up," Dudley said.

The result was a crack in the tibia just below his left kneecap and damage to the knee. Six days later he underwent knee surgery. Two months later he still is waiting for the fracture to heal completely and doctors to give him clearance to play basketball.

It hasn't been an easy time for Dudley.

"You have to understand he is one of the most durable players in the country," Gottfried said. "He never missed as much as a drill in four years."

The past two months Dudley has learned what it is like to rehabilitate a significant injury. He's worked out regularly with Alabama trainer John Morr. He's visited the UA weight room daily for stringent upper-body workouts and some light lower-body work.

He's also done his best to shoo away the frustration.

"It's been tough some times," Dudley said. "But it's all about me having faith in God. I have to believe that something good is going to happen for me."

Perhaps it's that belief which allows Dudley not to think about what might have happened if he would have skipped his final season at Alabama. He looked into entering the draft last spring but returned when he was projected to be picked around the middle of the second round. Perhaps he could have moved up in last year's draft, considering he was healthy enough to work out with NBA teams.

"I think about that some," Dudley said. "You know, it was the right thing for me. I got my (criminal justice) degree. I got more experience. I progressed more as a player."

His future progression may take him places he would rather not play. Dudley admits there is a possibility he might have to begin his professional career in a foreign country or the National Basketball Development League.

"The first place I want to be is the NBA," Dudley said. "That hasn't changed. I'm not worried about it. I'll let other people worry about it. All I can do is hope and pray for the best."

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2003, 11:31 AM   #2
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default RE: Erwin Dudley --- Possible undrafted Free agent?

Five questions with Erwin Dudley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Erwin Dudley, a senior forward, bypassed early entry in the NBA draft to return to Alabama. He's glad he did - for the first time ever, the Crimson Tide (9-0) are ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press Top 25. Dudley, eagerly awaiting the Tide's Jan. 4 visit from No. 21 Xavier, answered five questions from the Enquirer's Dustin Dow.

---

1. Who is your athletic role model, and why?

My teammates. Guys like Kenny Walker. He's a great role model. He's always there to help me out. He goes out in the community and does things. He's a nice guy. He has a soft heart and he's a hard worker. And I could say that about all my teammates. They're nice guys. They work hard in school. They look out for each other. It's how a team should be, and I think that's why we're successful.

---

2. Who is the toughest player to go against and why?

Udonis Haslem (of Florida) is about the toughest. He's just a good post player. He knows how to get position. He knows how to post up.

---

3. What's the best thing about being ranked No. 1? Did you ever think you'd be in the position of being No. 1 in the nation?

I'd never thought about it. It's an honor to be No.1, to be the top school in the country. That's great. But also it causes you to have enemies. There will always be teams out there ready to knock you down off the top. And while it's fun, what matters is who's No. 1 when the season ends. That's when you want to be No. 1.

---

4. What are your New Year's resolutions? Anything like win the SEC or make the Final Four?

All of those! OK - stay healthy. Win the national championship and repeat as SEC Player of the Year.

---

5. To what NBA player are you most similar?

I don't know who I play like, but I do know who I would like to play like, and that's Hakeem Olajuwon. Hakeem throws that jump hook like no one can.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 06-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #3
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Chopper City :: Erwin Dudley

Big things can come from small places...

It's possible your high school had more students than the total population of Uniontown, Alabama. The chances are probably a lot slimmer, however, that your school had a better basketball player than Uniontown's favorite son, Erwin Dudley. It's just that, talking to the man, you'd never have any idea how good he really is.

An unassuming 6-8, 260 pounds, Dudley is about as boisterous as a librarian. In fact, the only time Erwin sounds the slightest bit animated is when his sometime controversial school, the University of Alabama, comes into the discussion. "It ain't no different than any other place," insists the big man on campus. "The cameras are just always on us."

The one they call E-Dud better get used to the screen time. Seeing as how his Bama squad celebrated New Year's as the first Crimson Tide team to be ranked No. 1 in school history, the media could cuddle up with the Tide well into March. Maybe then the unheralded Dudley can get a little bit of the recognition he deserves.

"Erwin's a very underappreciated player," says coach Tubby Smith of SEC rival Kentucky. "He's just solid and smart." A lot of other folks in the Southeastern Conference apparently agreed last season, naming the blue-collar forward the league's '01-02 Player of the Year. "It's got a nice ring to it," Dudley blushes when asked about the honor. "I enjoyed it for a little while, and then I just went on about my business."

Of course, he's thinking about the business of scoring and rebounding. Picking up where he left off last year, "Helicopter" -- as he was tagged in high school -- took averages of 13.5 points and 10.2 boards into 2003. But had you spoken to Dudley a few years ago, he'd probably be talking about bushels and acres. "I did a lot of farming," remembers the 21-year-old senior.

"It was hot sometimes (on the farm). That's about it."

Even if there was more to it, you'd be hard-pressed getting Erwin to talk about it. Right now, the big man is only concerned with beating the likes of Kentucky, LSU and Florida and making it to New Orleans in early April. And he honestly believes the talented Tide can roll into the Final Four if they just "keep playing ball. We gotta stay healthy and keep getting better."

Your school probably didn't have anyone as confident as this guy, either. -- DEMARCO WILLIAMS

Old 06-24-2003, 11:46 AM   #4
Mandyahl
Diamond Member

Mandyahl will become famous soon enoughMandyahl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Pro Comparison: Udonis Haslem
uhhh....
Old 06-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #5
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

2002-03 Men's Basketball Preseason Polls & Honors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Friday, November 1, 2002

ATHLON SPORTS
NCAA TOURNAMENT PREDICTIONS
Elite 8: Florida, Kentucky
Sweet 16: Alabama
Two & Out: Georgia, Mississippi State
One & Done: LSU, Ole Miss
NIT: Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt

ALL-AMERICA TEAMS
First Team: Erwin Dudley, Alabama
Second Team: Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Third Team: Matt Bonner, Florida
Hon. Mention: Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Ronald Dupree, LSU; Brett Nelson, Florida

ALL-SEC TEAMS
First Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Matt Bonner, Florida; Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Ronald Dupree, LSU; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Second Team: Brett Nelson, Florida; Jason Parker, Kentucky; Justin Reed, Ole Miss; Ron Slay, Tennessee; Maurice Williams, Alabama
Third Team: Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Matt Freije, Vanderbilt; Ezra Williams, Georgia; Rashad Wright, Georgia; Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State
Player of the Year: Erwin Dudley, Alabama
Newcomer of the Year: Antwain Barbour, Kentucky
Best Defensive Player: Kyle Davis, Auburn
Most Underrated: Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State

TOP 10 LISTS
Floor Leaders: (8) Maurice Williams, Alabama
Shooters: (6) Brett Nelson, Florida
Slashers: (2) Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Inside-Out: (3) Matt Bonner, Florida; (4) Ronald Dupree, LSU; (7) Justin Reed, Ole Miss
Post Men: (1) Erwin Dudley, Alabama; (3) Mario Austin, Mississippi State
Emerging Stars: (1) James White, Florida; (5) David Lee, Florida
Transfers: (1) Damien Wilkins, Georgia
Assistants to Watch: (4) Orlando Early, Alabama

BASKETBALL NEWS
ALL-AMERICA TEAMS

Second Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State

ALL-SEC TEAMS
First Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; Brett Nelson, Florida; Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi St.
Second Team: Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Matt Bonner, Florida; Ronald Dupree, LSU; Justin Reed, Ole Miss; Ezra Williams, Georgia
Newcomer of the Year: Anthony Roberson, Florida

PLAYER RANKINGS
Playmakers: (10) Brett Nelson, Florida; (16) Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; (17) Maurice Williams, Alabama; (18) Torris Bright, LSU
Gunners: (10) Ezra Williams, Georgia
Slashers: (2) Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; (8) Damien Wilkins, Georgia; (14) Keith Bogans, Kentucky
Inside-Outers: (4) Matt Bonner, Florida; (7) Ron Slay, Tennessee; (17) David Lee, Florida
Bangers: (1) Erwin Dudley, Alabama; (5) Mario Austin, Mississippi St.; (14) Justin Reed, Ole Miss

BEST OF THE BEST
Backcourts: (5) Florida
Frontcourts: (1) Alabama; (2) Georgia; (5) Mississippi State
Starters: (2) Florida; (5) Alabama; (6) Kentucky; (7) Georgia
Benches: (1) Florida; (4) Kentucky; (5) Ole Miss
Offenses: (3) Florida
Defenses: (3) Kentucky; (7) Florida

SPORTING NEWS
ALL-AMERICA TEAMS

ALL-SEC TEAMS
First Team: Maurice Williams, Alabama; Ronald Dupree, LSU; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Mario Austin, Mississippi State
Second Team: Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; Ezra Williams, Georgia; Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Justin Reed, Ole Miss; Matt Bonner, Florida
Player of the Year: Jarvis Hayes, Georgia

PLAYER & UNIT RANKINGS Point Guards: (5) Maurice Williams, Alabama; (14) Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; (18) Rashad Wright, Georgia
Shooting Guards: (10) Antwain Barbour, Kentucky; (11) Ezra Williams, Georgia
Small Forwards: (4) Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; (5) Ronald Dupree, LSU; (12) Christian Drejer, Florida
Power Forwards: (2) Erwin Dudley, Alabama; (5) David Lee, Florida; (8) Justin Reed, Ole Miss; (9) Ron Slay, Tennessee
Centers: (3) Mario Austin, Mississippi State; (5) Matt Bonner, Florida
Frontcourts: (4) Florida; Other Ten: Kentucky
Backcourts: (6) Georgia; Other Ten: Florida

HONOR ROLL
Best shooter: Jon Higgins, Tennessee
Best playmaker: Maurice Williams, Alabama
Best dunker: James White, Florida
Best NBA prospect: Christian Drejer, Florida
Most likely to blossom: Rolando Howell, South Carolina
Best rebounder: Erwin Dudley, Alabama
Best defender: David Sanders, Ole Miss
Best game coach: Tubby Smith, Kentucky
Most versatile: Ronald Dupree, LSU
Will take a charge: Matt Bonner, Florida
Most underrated player: Ronald Dupree, LSU
LINDY'S BASKETBALL
NCAA TOURNAMENT PREDICTIONS

Sweet 16: Alabama; Florida; Kentucky
Field of 64: Georgia; Ole Miss; Mississippi State

ALL-SEC TEAMS
First Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; Justin Reed, Ole Miss; Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Matt Bonner, Florida
Second Team: Brett Nelson, Florida; Ezra Williams, Georgia; Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; Ronald Dupree, LSU; Rolando Howell, South Carolina
Third Team: Torris Bright, LSU; Maurice Williams, Alabama; Ron Slay, Tennessee; Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Marquis Daniels, Auburn

PLAYER & UNIT RANKINGS
Point Guards: (10) Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; (14) Maurice Williams, Alabama
Shooting Guards: (9) Ezra Williams, Georgia; (14) Brett Nelson, Florida; (16) Keith Bogans, Kentucky
Small Forwards: (1) Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; (3) Justin Reed, Ole Miss; (9) Ronald Dupree, LSU; (15) Marquis Daniels, Auburn
Power Forwards: (2) Erwin Dudley, Alabama; (5) Matt Bonner, Florida; (15) Rolando Howell, South Carolina
Centers: (3) Mario Austin, Mississippi State; (11) Tony Kitchings, South Carolina
Backcourts: (6) Florida
Frontcourts: (7) Georgia; (8) South Carolina

SEC TIDBITS
Top shooter: Brett Nelson, Florida
Top rebounder: Erwin Dudley, Alabama
Top defender: Kyle Davis, Auburn
Top playmaker: Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State
Most versatile: Marquis Daniels, Auburn
Most entertaining: Ron Slay, Tennessee
Top NBA Prospect: Justin Reed, Ole Miss

STREET & SMITH'S
NATIONAL TOURNAMENT PREDICTIONS

Beast of the East: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi State

ALL-AMERICA TEAMS
Third Team: Jarvis Hayes, Georgia

ALL-SEC TEAM
First Team: Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Matt Bonner, Florida; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; Brett Nelson, Florida

RATING THE PLAYERS
Best penetrator: Cliff Hawkins, Kentucky
Best passer: Maurice Williams, Alabama
Best shooter: Brett Nelson, Florida
Best shot-blocker: Kyle Davis, Auburn
Best defender: Justin Hamilton, Florida
Best instincts: Chuck Eidson, South Carolina
Best athlete: Ronald Dupree, LSU
Best under pressure: Brett Nelson, Florida
Best leader: Ron Slay, Tennessee
Top NBA prospect: Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Top impact freshman: C.J. Watson, Tennessee

COLLEGEINSIDER.COM
ALL-AMERICA TEAM

First Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Matt Bonner, Florida; Erwin Dudley, Alabama
NAISMITH
PLAYER OF THE YEAR CANDIDATES
Mario Austin, Mississippi State; Keith Bogans, Kentucky; Matt Bonner, Florida; Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; Brett Nelson, Florida

DICK VITALE'S
ALL-ROLLS ROYCE TEAMS

Second Team: Erwin Dudley, Alabama; Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Third Team: Mario Austin, Mississippi State
Fourth Team: Matt Bonner, Florida
Fifth Team: Justin Reed, Ole Miss
Sixth Team: Brett Nelson, Florida

FOXSPORTS.COM
PLAYER RANKINGS

Point Guards: (8) Maurice Williams, Alabama; (12) Derrick Zimmerman, Mississippi State; (14) Justin Hamilton, Florida
Shooting Guards: (12) Keith Bogans, Kentucky; (19) Brett Nelson, Florida
Small Forwards: (2) Jarvis Hayes, Georgia; (10) Ronald Dupree, LSU
Power Forwards: (2) Erwin Dudley, Alabama; (4) Mario Austin, Mississippi State; (12) Ron Slay, Tennessee; (13) David Lee, Florida; (18) Justin Reed, Ole Miss
Centers: (3) Matt Bonner, Florida

Old 06-24-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Sounds ok...but the guy just has to change his name...Erwin Dudley ....yikes.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #7
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

If he can do this: Has excellent footwork...Gets into good position on the court offensively, defensively, and rebounding wise...Loose balls and rebounds have a way of just finding him.

I wouldn't care if his name was BILL CLINTON!!!

Old 06-24-2003, 12:15 PM   #8
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Quote:
The result was a crack in the tibia just below his left kneecap and damage to the knee. Six days later he underwent knee surgery. Two months later he still is waiting for the fracture to heal completely and doctors to give him clearance to play basketball.
This is the only reason I won't use the 56th pick on him... He definately sounds intrigueing

Edit: Did some thinking. If Vranes is gone, what more can we expect with the 56th pick anyways? and its not a guaranteed contract either, so if he doesn't pan out, you cut him.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:23 PM   #9
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

I don't know about Dudley, saw him play last year when we (Ole Miss) beat them. He seems big, of course, but I don't like his game that much. Could be interesting but defenitly faded with his team down the strech. If you want an SEC player, we should look at Ron Slay, can fill it up. Keep him in shape, could be a good one down the line at the 3.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote