Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-25-2003, 11:45 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

we haven't had any good music threads in a while.

Anybody ever listen to Social Distortion? I kinda discovered 'em a few years ago but never downloaded many songs, out of laziness. Then this weekend I grabbed one of their records as the third in a buy 2 get 1 free rack at Virgin. Ya'll should see me at the Virgin discount rack that they put right in front of the door. I seriously think I already have half the CDs in those racks. Anyway, grabbed Old 97's and Son Volt, and then stumbled upon Social Distortion for the free one (at the time, I was deciding between the Clash, Dylan, Dre, or Snoop.. yes, I'm eclectic).

So anyway, Social Distortion. Kind of unknown by most, I guess. Anybody besides me ever hear 'em?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, they were among the leaders in the punk resurgence about 8 years ago... along with green day, bad religion, rancid, etc. They still have something of a cult following. I still see memorobilia everywhere. Never really got into them, but know a lot of people who did. Are they still releasing records? Anyway, I would probably have gone with the Clash... and depending on the album, Dylan.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 12:53 AM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

The album I have is from '90, and it's about their 3rd. I'm surprised you put them with those other bands, because they were kinda already done by then, from what I can tell. Looks like they had albums out in 83, 88, 90, 92, and 96.

They've got the melodic-punk thing going for them.. but there's some rockabilly in there, too.

The Dylan record I found was just some random greatest hits, later stuff. Like from '75 onward. The Clash record was none other than London Calling, but I wasn't in the mood at the time.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

That makes sense. I bet they were an underground type band until punk started hitting the mainstream. I remember they had a alternative radio hit with a song called "bad luck". Is that on the album you bought.

London Calling is a great album, you need to rip that one off Kazaa. As for an the obscure Dylan album, you made the right choice. He's put out some pretty insignificant crap over the years.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 08:19 AM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

I have 2 of their CD's. I went to one of their concerts in 1990 at the old Sportatorium. The Screaming Trees opened. It was the scariest concert I ever attended. Not a big fan of skinheads.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #6
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I haven't listened to them in a while, though they were a staple of my high school rotation. Good stuff. Mike Ness has an excellent voice, especially for the genre; it's always been Ness' voice that has intrigued me and kept me hooked.

Now I'm going to go have to dig up some of my old SocialD CDs...
Old 03-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #7
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

Edit: double post.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Social D definitely rocks. Went to one of their shows here in Dallas a few years ago...still the craziest concert I have ever been too. I have never seen so many beer bottles broken in one place ever.
Old 05-15-2003, 01:15 PM   #9
signoftimes

signoftimes is on a distinguished road

'Mommies little Monster' is definitely Social D's best album and quite possibly one the best albums to come out of that genre.
signoftimes is offline   Reply With Quote