Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice
Default All 2000's Decade Team

What 12 players will you have as your 2000's all decade team?

Requirements
Decade starting from the 2000-2001 to 2009-2010 season
Player had to play at least 6 years out of the decade
Player had to make at least 5 All Star Teams out of the decade
Player had to make at least 1 All NBA Team or All Defensive Team

Here is my list

STARTERS
Jason Kidd
Kobe Bryant
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal

BENCH
Steve Nash
Allen Iverson
Dwyane Wade
Paul Pierce
Tracy McGrady
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett

Last edited by jay3189; 08-08-2014 at 07:06 AM.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Starters:
Kidd
Kobe
LBJ
Dirk
Duncan

Bench:
Shaq
KG
Iverson
Nash
Melo
Bosh
T-Mac
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Starters:
Kidd
Kobe
LBJ
Dirk
Duncan

Bench:
Shaq
KG
Iverson
Nash
Melo
Bosh
T-Mac
How is Shaq not your starter, best center from 2000 to 2007. And how are you leaving Wade and Pierce off your list. Lol
Old 08-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I should have copied and pasted your roster. My bad dawg!
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
How is Shaq not your starter, best center from 2000 to 2007. And how are you leaving Wade and Pierce off your list. Lol
Because his list isn't your list?

EDIT: Spree pretty much said the same thing while I was typing this...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-08-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Requirements
Decade starting from the 2000-2001 to 2009-2010 season
Player had to play at least 6 years out of the decade
Player had to make at least 5 All Star Teams out of the decade
Player had to make at least 1 All NBA Team or All Defensive Team
I did a quick run through wikipedia... you have 19 players to fill 12 spots.

Here's your massive list of candidates:
Shaquille O'Neal C
Jason Kidd G
Kevin Garnett F/C
Tim Duncan F/C
Kobe Bryant G
Ray Allen G
Vince Carter G/F
Allen Iverson G
Tracy McGrady G/F
Steve Nash G
Paul Pierce G/F
Jermaine O'Neal F/C
Dirk Nowitzki F/C
Yao Ming C
Amar'e Stoudemire F/C
LeBron James F
Dwyane Wade G
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F/C

Assume Mr. Never-out-of-the-first-round is not eligible. Now, you're looking to strike 6 names from the remaining in this exercise.

Are these requirements even valid if they bar Tony Parker and Carmelo from the conversation?

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Are these requirements even valid if they bar Tony Parker and Carmelo from the conversation?
That's a good point. You could definitely make a case for Parker or Carmelo over some of the guys on Jay's list. That being said though, I think his list is spot on. Mine is identical to his. Thinking about this brings me couple of random thoughts-

1- Shaq at his peak eats Duncan for breakfast. Seriously, I don't think they're even close. I think only argument for Duncan being a better player is that he has greater longevity, and better work ethic.

2- Damn, I really, really, really miss Iverson. He was one of the players that reignited my passion for the NBA after I stopped caring in the mid-late 90's. I know how polarizing he is, and I know all the clichés people throw out to knock him- selfish, ballhog, thug, volume shooter, never won a championship etc... I won't deny that some of that reputation is fair, but I always thought it was WAY overblown. And it doesn't change the fact that he was just flat-out incredible. Hate him all you want, but he deserved every career accolade he got and every bit of his status as an icon.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
2- Damn, I really, really, really miss Iverson. He was one of the players that reignited my passion for the NBA after I stopped caring in the mid-late 90's. I know how polarizing he is, and I know all the clichés people throw out to knock him- selfish, ballhog, thug, volume shooter, never won a championship etc... I won't deny that some of that reputation is fair, but I always thought it was WAY overblown. And it doesn't change the fact that he was just flat-out incredible. Hate him all you want, but he deserved every career accolade he got and every bit of his status as an icon.
I remember trying to figure out how to do his crossover with my brother. Felt bad for him that one year he made it to the Finals but lost to LA.

Is this ghost ball??
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #9
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Sorry, I should have copied and pasted your roster. My bad dawg!
It was a joke. I know it's your list. I was just curious.

Last edited by jay3189; 09-25-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #10
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
That's a good point. You could definitely make a case for Parker or Carmelo over some of the guys on Jay's list. That being said though, I think his list is spot on. Mine is identical to his. Thinking about this brings me couple of random thoughts-

1- Shaq at his peak eats Duncan for breakfast. Seriously, I don't think they're even close. I think only argument for Duncan being a better player is that he has greater longevity, and better work ethic.

Tony Parker and Carmelo Anthony played damn good in the 2000's era. But I will love to know who you would take off my list to put Parker and Melo on it, all the 12 players I listed had overall better careers and more All Star appearances than those 2. And based on my requirements, Melo would not be eligible, since he only made 3 All Stars in 2006-2007,2007-2008, and 2009-2010 seasons.

Last edited by jay3189; 08-09-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
I did a quick run through wikipedia... you have 19 players to fill 12 spots.

Here's your massive list of candidates:
Shaquille O'Neal C
Jason Kidd G
Kevin Garnett F/C
Tim Duncan F/C
Kobe Bryant G
Ray Allen G
Vince Carter G/F
Allen Iverson G
Tracy McGrady G/F
Steve Nash G
Paul Pierce G/F
Jermaine O'Neal F/C
Dirk Nowitzki F/C
Yao Ming C
Amar'e Stoudemire F/C
LeBron James F
Dwyane Wade G
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F/C

Assume Mr. Never-out-of-the-first-round is not eligible. Now, you're looking to strike 6 names from the remaining in this exercise.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Those 19 players you listed all had good or great runs in the 2000's era, but some of those players are not eligible based on my requirements, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Last edited by jay3189; 08-09-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
jay3189
Banned

Quote:

I would not say "Shaq in his prime would eat Duncan for breakfast", are you forgetting Tim Duncan was killing the NBA with 2 MVPs while Shaq was in his prime. Tim Duncan became a monster in the NBA in 1999, since then, the rest is history, 2 league MVPs, 6 Western Conference Titles, 5 NBA Championships, 3 finals MVPs, need I say more? LMAO
Old 08-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

I mostly agree with Jay's original list. My only change is that I'd put either Parker (if elligible) or Ray Allen on my bench instead of Iverson.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would not say "Shaq in his prime would eat Duncan for breakfast", are you forgetting Tim Duncan was killing the NBA with 2 MVPs while Shaq was in his prime. Tim Duncan became a monster in the NBA in 1999, since then, the rest is history, 2 league MVPs, 6 Western Conference Titles, 5 NBA Championships, 3 finals MVPs, need I say more? LMAO
And during that time, Shaq was better. You list all those titles and Conference championships- like I said, Duncan had much greater longevity- and better work ethic.

But yes, Shaq on his best day eats Duncan for breakfast. I should clarify that I don't mean this in any way as a knock on Duncan. That's just how g*ddamn amazing Shaq was for those few years. At his absolute peak, I think Shaq was one of the top 3 greatest players ever. I'll take Shaq in his prime over anybody except MJ and Kareem. Wilt, Magic, Larry, you name it. He just completely controlled the game and made his opponents sh*t themselves with fear. Duncan is an absolutely phenomenal player. Greatest PF ever. Definitely top 15 all time and arguably even top 10. But he never just completely owned the game or terrified his opponents the way Shaq did from '99-02.

When the Spurs dethroned the Lakers in 2003, Shaq had already started to decline, I think. He was always fighting nagging foot injuries and was never fully healthy. That goes back to work ethic because he had a terrible habit of routinely showing up to training camp overweight. During the offseason he was always off making awful movies or worse rap albums instead of training and conditioning. Plus those last two years in LA, the Lakers locker room atmosphere was just a complete circus and they never had their heads in the game- which once again goes back to work ethic.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-09-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
And during that time, Shaq was better. You list all those titles and Conference championships- like I said, Duncan had much greater longevity- and better work ethic.

But yes, Shaq on his best day eats Duncan for breakfast. I should clarify that I don't mean this in any way as a knock on Duncan. That's just how g*ddamn amazing Shaq was for those few years. At his absolute peak, I think Shaq was one of the top 3 greatest players ever. I'll take Shaq in his prime over anybody except MJ and Kareem. Wilt, Magic, Larry, you name it. He just completely controlled the game and made his opponents sh*t themselves with fear. Duncan is an absolutely phenomenal player. Greatest PF ever. Definitely top 15 all time and arguably even top 10. But he never just completely owned the game or terrified his opponents the way Shaq did from '99-02.

When the Spurs dethroned the Lakers in 2003, Shaq had already started to decline, I think. He was always fighting nagging foot injuries and was never fully healthy. That goes back to work ethic because he had a terrible habit of routinely showing up to training camp overweight. During the offseason he was always off making awful movies or worse rap albums instead of training and conditioning. Plus those last two years in LA, the Lakers locker room atmosphere was just a complete circus and they never had their heads in the game- which once again goes back to work ethic.
Shaq was a beast. I think the league created the offensive 3 seconds in the paint rule because of Shaq killing people down low. I would not say Shaq declined in 2003. From 2004 to 2007 with the Heat, he was still the best center in the league. Miami would not win the championship in 2006 without him. I still want to know how the hell Shaq's debut album 'Shaq Diesel" went gold status in 2 months. WHO THE HELL WAS BUYING THAT ALBUM? The whole NBA? LMAO

Last edited by jay3189; 09-25-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
Shaq was a beast, they created the offensive 3 seconds in the paint rule because of shaq killing people down low. I would not say Shaq declined in 2003. From 2004 to 2007 with the Heat, he was still the best center in the league. Miami would not win the championship in 2006 without him.
He was not as good in 2003 as he was in 2002, because he wasn't healthy. He was always nursing the same foot injury. Even though he put up roughly the same numbers, I noticed that year that he was a just a little bit slower and less explosive than the year before (because he was little bit fatter.) After that year there was a pretty steep dropoff- again, because he was always carrying a little extra weight. And yes, he was still the best center in the league for several years after that, but he was not the unstoppable terrifying juggernaut that was putting up 30 and 14 very night.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 08-09-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #17
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
He was not as good in 2003 as he was in 2002, because he wasn't healthy. He was always nursing the same foot injury. Even though he put up roughly the same numbers, I noticed that year that he was a just a little bit slower and less explosive than the year before (because he was little bit fatter.) After that year there was a pretty steep dropoff- again, because he was always carrying a little extra weight. And yes, he was still the best center in the league for several years after that, but he was not the unstoppable terrifying juggernaut that was putting up 30 and 14 very night.
The injuries were catching up to him. But guarding Shaq one on one from 2003-2007 was still a defensive job u wanted to avoid.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Quote:
The injuries were catching up to him. But guarding Shaq one on one from 2003-2007 was still a defensive job u wanted to avoid.
No argument here. He was definitely still the best center in the league all the up until 06-07 when Dwight really broke out.

Although the sad thing is that probably says more about the terrible lack of talent at the center position in the modern era than it does about Shaq or Dwight.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #19
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
No argument here. He was definitely still the best center in the league all the up until 06-07 when Dwight really broke out.

Although the sad thing is that probably says more about the terrible lack of talent at the center position in the modern era than it does about Shaq or Dwight.
That is true, from 2006-2010, Shaq and Dwight were the only real quality centers in the league that were putting up great numbers
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Is this basically a top-12 list, or do lineups actually count for something? Because I'd definitely pair up Dirk & Shaq in the starting lineup over Dirk/Duncan or Shaq/Duncan, just because of the insane mismatches that would create on offense, then bring Duncan/Garnett off the bench to turn the screws on the defensive end.

Also, does a player's entire body of work count, or are you just focusing on their prime? Because that makes a huge difference when you're talking about injury-prone guys like Yao and T-Mac.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-09-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #21
jay3189
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Is this basically a top-12 list, or do lineups actually count for something? Because I'd definitely pair up Dirk & Shaq in the starting lineup over Dirk/Duncan or Shaq/Duncan, just because of the insane mismatches that would create on offense, then bring Duncan/Garnett off the bench to turn the screws on the defensive end.

Also, does a player's entire body of work count, or are you just focusing on their prime? Because that makes a huge difference when you're talking about injury-prone guys like Yao and T-Mac.
You can do either or, any 12 players you like that fits the requirements from the 2000-2001 to 2009-2010 seasons. For example, McGrady at his best from 2000 to 2007 trumps Melo from 2003 to 2010. McGrady made more All Stars, All NBA Teams, and led the league in scoring 2x

Last edited by jay3189; 08-09-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
Yeah, if I'm putting together an All-2000's team that can stay healthy enough to get through an 82-game slog and still be versatile enough to dominate in the playoffs, I'd probably roll with the following 10-man lineup:

Kidd/Parker
Kobe/Wade
LeBron/Pierce
Dirk/Garnett
Shaq/Duncan

I'm not talking about the 10 best, nor does position on the depth chart determine who's better - this is mostly about fit... Everything from spacing to defense counts (that's why guys like Amare and Nash aren't listed), as well as health and durability (hence, no Yao or McGrady). Playoff experience/success also factor into the mix, which is why Pierce edges out Carter... And, finally, some guys just don't make the cut because they have what I view as fatal flaws in their game compared to the players I listed (AI being undersized, Bosh being good, but not great, at everything).

Just my preference, but I think this combination beats any other 2000's 10-man squad that you can put on the floor... Especially if you have Pop as their head coach.

EDIT: I am tempted to replace Wade with Allen, just because the 3-point shooting in that second unit is lacking, but I can't - too much of a gulf in overall talent, especially with Allen's game dropping off in 07-08.

Last edited by Underdog; 08-10-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 PM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Kidd/Parker
Kobe/Wade
LeBron/Pierce
Dirk/Garnett
Shaq/Duncan
And, no, the fact that all of these guys won championships with the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Mavs and/or Heat is not lost on me... Even though some of them didn't win their rings until this decade, those 5 teams were consistently some of the best during the 2000's.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
EDIT: I am tempted to replace Wade with Allen, just because the 3-point shooting in that second unit is lacking, but I can't - too much of a gulf in overall talent, especially with Allen's game dropping off in 07-08.
You misspelled "unearned free throws."

Quote:
I'd definitely pair up Dirk & Shaq in the starting lineup over Dirk/Duncan or Shaq/Duncan, just because of the insane mismatches that would create on offense
In 2004, the Lakers knew not to create such an unstoppable beast.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 08-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.