Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 AM   #1
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brandon Roy has tear in meniscus, will undergo knee surgery

Yikes. Could be worse, though:

Quote:
Blazers’ Roy to have knee surgery

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP)—Portland Trail Blazers guard Brandon Roy will have arthroscopic knee surgery to repair a tear in the meniscus of his left knee.

Am MRI, taken Tuesday revealed the tear, the team said Wednesday. Surgery is scheduled for Thursday.

Trail Blazers team physician Dr. Don Roberts will perform the surgery at Southwest Washington Regional Surgery Center in Vancouver, Wash.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

OMG. He was gonig to be one of my keeper league picks...

How long is he rumored to be out for?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

HUGE news.

---

edit*

found this:

Before anybody goes jumping off the Fremont Bridge over the news of Brandon Roy's knee surgery on Thursday morning, keep this in mind:

Roy is having arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his left knee. When he was a junior at the University of Washington, Roy had the same procedure done for the same injury on his right knee.

In three weeks he was back on the court, playing in a big-time game against No. 9-ranked North Carolina State.

Blazers training camp is seven weeks away. Their first preseason game is eight weeks away. The regular season opener is 11 weeks away. I don't think Roy and the Blazers are in jeopardy of him missing any games. The only setback is that Roy will miss out on all the full-court scrimmages the team holds throughout September, preventing him from developing cohesion with the likes of newcomers Greg Oden and Jerryd Bayless.

Now, also keep in mind that you never know what doctors might find in a knee when they go in. Last September, the Blazers didn't expect Oden to require microfracture knee surgery when he went in. That's why the Blazers are being so mum about the surgery and Roy's timetable for a return. (General manager Kevin Pritchard and Roy both declined to be interviewed Wednesday night, saying they would talk after Thursday morning's surgery).

But that is just a precautionary reminder.

It is believed that the injury is a result of general wear-and-tear and was not caused by a traumatic event. The tear was revealed after a magnetic resonance imaging was performed on Tuesday, and surgery was decided upon after a second opinion was offered on Wednesday.

In two seasons with the Blazers, Roy has missed 33 games - 30 because of injuries. In his rookie season, he missed 20 games with an inflamed left heel, one game because of right knee swelling and the final three games of the season because of pain in both knees.

Last season, Roy missed two games because of a sprained right ankle and four games because of hip and groin injuries.

Last month, in an interview with The Oregonian, Roy said the biggest struggle in his career has been staying healthy.

"The biggest thing I've had to overcome is staying healthy,'' Roy said at the time. "I just want to be able to have a conversation and not bring up a hell, or a groin ...And there are a lot of nights I go home and I have sleepless nights, thinking 'If I can only be 100 percent'. So the big thing for me is overcoming injuries, or just staying healthy. But it's always in the back of my mind.''

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 08-14-2008 at 02:14 AM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

blazers are the new rockets
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Last year, Oden's whole deal started off with this exact same arthroscopic surgery, which then turned into the full-blown microfracture surgery.

Not saying that will happen with Roy, but sometimes it's worse than it initially looks.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

don't worry just yet. arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus is a relatively simple and easy fix. assuming his meniscus doesn't need to be sewn back together and his tear is one that can easily be trimmed off, he could be playing very soon.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

The procedure, which took place Thursday, lasted 20 minutes, according to The (Portland) Oregonian. The team physician, Don Roberts, performed the arthroscopy, during which he took out a small flap of cartilage.

Training camp is seven weeks away; the Blazers are anticipating Roy could be back in four to eight weeks, in time for the Oct. 28 season opener.

"We are very relieved today," general manager Kevin Pritchard said in The Oregonian. "I think we all have a collective sigh of relief, because with these knee injuries, a lot can happen, and you are talking about the career of a young man who has put his face on this organization, and [a player] who we care deeply about."

Roy is part of a young nucleus for the up-and-coming Blazers. The 2006-07 Rookie of the Year has averaged 18.1 points, 5.0 assists and 4.6 rebounds in two years in the league.

"We were all walking on eggshells around here," Pritchard said in The Oregonian. "I can tell you this: I didn't sleep a whole lot last night . . . and I feel very, very good about where we are today. We are in great position to have him ready by the regular season."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 08-16-2008 at 05:49 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Blazers gonna be a good team next season~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

damnit horse!
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote