Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 AM   #1
KiddNPlay
Banned

KiddNPlay will become famous soon enoughKiddNPlay will become famous soon enough
Default Which team will finish #9 out West?

So I think the top 9 will likely be the same top 9 when the regular season ends but not necessarily in the same order. Which team will be the odd ball out?

I feel that the Mavericks will finish in the top 8. This shift in position will knock out one of these teams:

1. L.A. Lakers (will likely finish at #1)
2. Denver Nuggets (much better team after trade and will likely make the playoffs)
3. Portland Trail Blazers (could drop out of the top 8 but very unlikely)
4. Houston Rockets (in a tough division but as long as 2 of their top 3 are healthy they'll make the playoffs)
5. Utah Jazz (who'd thunk that they'd be #3 in their division at this point? should still make playoffs)
6. Phoenix Suns (rookie coach and old Center could be a reason for why this team does not make the playoffs but still likely making it)
7. New Orleans Hornets (one of the best teams out West last year should have enough to return)
8. San Antonio Spurs (playoff streak at jeopardy? not really)

So the likely candidates for oddball out are Phoenix Suns and Portland Trail Blazers by my book. The Mavericks are still a possibility, but I like how they're playing now. They should be fighting for the top spot in the division.
KiddNPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

LA is a lock

I think Utah, Houston, and San Antonio are locks as well.

The 5 "borderline" teams to me are Dallas, New Orleans, Phoenix, Portland, and Denver.

It's kinda hard to make a case about why Dallas will INDISPUTABLY not finish 9th. We have played like the 9th best team thus far and it's reflective in the standings.

But Phoenix... with Nash and Amare uncomfortable in the system, a downgrade at coach, and Shaq getting old and due to miss 10-15 more games... would not be shocked with them.

Portland... starting really hot... they added like 3 good rookies to a 40 win team last year and all their young players are improving... but might they, as young teams tend to do at times, fade down the stretch? Perhaps.

New Orleans... I'm starting to think last year was an anomaly. Chris Paul is great, but how this team w/ West as a #2 option and Peja as a #3 option finished 2nd last year is beyond me. They were kinda hot with jump shooting, and compared to other teams in the west, didn't face injuries. I wouldn't be SHOCKED if they missed the playoffs, but I doubt it.

Denver seems to be clicking with Billups, I doubt them missing as well.

Jeez, it's really hard to say.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

It pains me to say it, but I don't see the Mavs in the playoffs this year. All in all, it wouldn't be terrible to miss the playoffs this year and get a lottery pick since next year's 1st is not lottery protected.

I'd rather miss the playoffs than squeak in at #8 and get run by the Lakers.

I hope I'm wrong and we win the Midwest, but the realist in me says we don't.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

Hornets miss after C3PO Paul misses his usual 2 months with injuries--last season was the exception when he managed to stay healthy

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice

At the rate that T-mac gets hurt, I hope to not see the Rox in the top 8. Though I'm sure Yao and Artest is enough to get in.
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #6
RareMilk
Golden Member

RareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to allRareMilk is a name known to all

Really when I look at the other elite west teams compared to the mavs I can only have faith. Stats and numbers can be easy to record. You can't record how much heart a team has though you can't look up the percentages and say the mavs have 10.1 heart per game. To be honest I know whats real but of course this is a mavs fan forum so I can only hope
RareMilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs 8th
Phoenix Suns 9th!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:24 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

is this the part where I brag about being right about Denver making the playoffs, even though not all the evidence is in and the circumstances have completely changed?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

YES!

You have the floor.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I was right!!! How could you guys not see that was coming!!!!! Jeeze!!!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #11
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Either the Spurs or the Suns are out

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that injury will dictate which team misses the playoffs...

It should be the Spurs, but they must have sacrificed the right amount of children to their heathen gods because they're doing pretty well, so who knows!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

How fast does Portland mature? This team is very dangerous and can mix it up with the Lakers inside. This is a team in a year or two could threaten the Lakers as they are trying to pick up Conley now from Memphis. They are young and could flop also but they seem to have so much raw talent and size that it is hard to see them not making the playoffs. Putting them in knocks off one of the west teams that always get in.

Lakers, Houston, Utah, Hornets are a lock i feel. As long as Nash and Billups stay healthy and now Denver can make a 3 point shot and has a pg that can really help his team. They haven't had this in along time. Those two teams should make it and the only way i see Phx not making it is Nash or Amare get hurt for a long time. Phx is a good regular season team. Not a very good playoff team.

I never thought i would see the day the Spurs would struggle to make the playoffs. Maybe they won't if Parker, Duncan are healthy and they get Gino back. I would have to pick them ahead of us and leaving us 9th now.

The wild cards, Portland, how mature are they and will they get better this year or fall apart and be rookies? Hornets, was they a one hit wonder but with Posey and if Paul stays healthy it sure seems they would finish in the top 8. The Spurs, how good or how bad are they now without Gino and them getting older? I watched one game where they had a game named Mason that looked good but they need the big 3 they have. I would always be afraid to bet against the Spurs.

I do not see anyone challenging the Lakers in the west. If i was them i would hold with what i have and in the off seaon try to pick up a Devin Harris, Chris Paul, not sure if Conley will ever be that good but Memphis want's to move him. If the Lakers will pick up a great or very good younger pg for next season, this could then push them favored over Celts. It is a toss up now on who wins with Celts/Lakers but those two teams are so so much better than all the others. Especially in a series.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

I will also mention this, if Houston misses the playoffs with three stars or three superstars and also having one of the best defensive players in the game and he isn't shabby on offense either, then McGrady, Ming or the Rocks organazation is one of the biggest flops ever. With the talent that team has, you must be held a threat to the Lakers and not even a question if you make the playoffs.

If they turn to be one of the wild cards, not knowing how they will finish, then Houston should never be taken serious again. If that happens, then i feel big changes could come there with McGrady and or Ming being traded. I am interested to see how Houston does this year because on paper they should kick butt this year. Then i have seen them on paper flop also but i am not sure i have seen them flop with this much talent.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #15
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
It pains me to say it, but I don't see the Mavs in the playoffs this year. All in all, it wouldn't be terrible to miss the playoffs this year and get a lottery pick since next year's 1st is not lottery protected.

I'd rather miss the playoffs than squeak in at #8 and get run by the Lakers.

I hope I'm wrong and we win the Midwest, but the realist in me says we don't.
No, this doesn't pain you, it's just an extension of your Harris griping.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Mavs will be like 5th by the end of the season, I see Portland missing out because they're young and I think there a chance that 1 or 2 of the others could be out...but its very small. Soo I say Portland.... GO MAVS

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

That could be very true with Portland. Oden likes being like Gasol and the guy is good. They had to teach Gasol to attack the rim more and be more physical and play inside the painted area more. Boston really banged him around and tried keeping him out of the paint or showing him, we will put bruises on you if you come back in here. Even Kobe decided to not go in the painted area against them.

Oden is very talented but he has to learn to play big and in the paint. He wasn't use to all these guys being big, tall, and physical in college. I feel it is a question can he stay healthy, can he leran to stay in the painted area and attack the basket and not wonder around way outsidethe basket. Playing with his back to the basket and settling for just open longer jump shots.

I think you are right on Portland being the big mystery team. They have the talent and alot of it but how does some of this young talent do all year and i feel it will come down to Oden, if he plays and develops the right way and how fast he does.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #18
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
No, this doesn't pain you, it's just an extension of your Harris griping.
You're right, I hate the Mavericks...

No, I dislike an incompetent front office and have serious issues with Cuban. I LOVE the Mavericks. Anyone that's been on this forum since 2001 as I have would know that.

Lastly, I'd appreciate you not speaking for me in the future home boy.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
fluid.forty.one

I still stand by my belief of Portland not making the playoffs.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I still stand by my belief of Portland not making the playoffs.
I hate to nitpick the English language, but "belief" is something that can't be proven through observation...

I think Portland is still one season away from greatness...

Last edited by Underdog; 12-02-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
fluid.forty.one

belief is only applicable to things that are unprovable?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #22
Underdog

Quote:
belief is only applicable to things that are unprovable?
Yepper - once you can prove something, it moves from the realm of "belief" into "knowledge" (according to Sir Francis Bacon's language - and HE didn't think Portland was going into make the playoffs this year either!)

Last edited by Underdog; 12-02-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #23
fluid.forty.one

for it to move from 'belief' to 'knowledge', the belief would have to be there in the first place.. something you claim (or believe ) is impossible.

I can't prove Portland will not make the playoffs, at this moment,... so it's a belief, at this moment, no?

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 12-02-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #24
Underdog

Quote:
for it to move from 'belief' to 'knowledge', the belief would have to be there in the first place.. something you claim (or believe ) is impossible.

I can't prove Portland will not make the playoffs, at this moment,... so it's a belief, at this moment, no?
It's observable, so it's in motion from one spectrum of being into another...

Or to simplify this rule, just take everything I say as FACT...