Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
It was a joke of an offer because no basketball player in their right mind would take it and cubes knew it. But it was still a 20million/year offer, hardly the scrub you are painting him as.
I never said he was a scrub. He's an above average center, probably second tier in the NBA. A good defender, though far from elite, because of his below average post defense. He's an almost elite help defender, not quite like Garnett, or Rodman, etc, etc, but a very, very good one. His impact is not there because of his post defense, i'm sure of that. He's useful offensively as well, he finishes strong, and always a threat for the lob.

I would love to have him as our starting center, Kaman is probably the worst defensive center in the league, and clearly a net negative. I never said i hated having Tyson, what i hate, is the fact that you, and some other posters made it out like he was a difference maker between a championship squad, and a first round loser, or a lottery team, and if only we would have him, it would all be different now.

In reality, Chandler is not that guy, and his whole career impact numbers show that, there is plenty of evidence, and there is none, that he was the one reason that finally made us winners. No. It was Dirk first and foremost, and his absolutely ridiculous, historic run, up until the finals where he was sick, and injured, and his numbers somehow plummeted because of that.

That year, Dirk could have won with a lot of centers, as he almost won with Damp in 2006. In order of importence imo, it went something like this. 1. Dirk. 2. Team defense 3. Carlisle and the smart use of zone 4. Kidd and Chandler. Tyson surely helped, and i will be forever grateful for him, but again, he was not the biggest difference, and letting him go while might have been a mistake, chances are, it was not a huge mistake, and we wouldn't be much better right now with him.

Even if you disregard everything i said, there is still the one aspect with Tyson, is that he was never consistently healthy, and on top of that, was kind of considered a contract year player. So there was that, too. Again, i like the guy, i just not agree with the notion that he was an all-world, all-defense kind of guy, and there is plenty of statistical evidence that shows exactly that. Not box score stuff, but advanced stats, you know, something that our team actually uses a lot.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beating a dead horse, cockriding tyson again