Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Devin Harris [Diary

You have to wonder why devin hasn't been working late all year. Maybe dirk/jason's work ethic is finally getting into his head.

Quote:
DEVIN HARRIS DIARY
Working to make jumper a weapon

Third-year Mavs guard Devin Harris talks about his strengths as a player and what he needs to do to improve, as told to Star-Telegram staff writer Art Garcia.

It’s no secret, I get to the basket probably the quickest around the league, push the ball extremely well, and make some pretty good passes. I’m working on getting my assist numbers up. Obviously, my [shooting] range is improving. I’ve been hitting the perimeter jump shot a lot more recently. Defensively, I keep guys in front. I probably lead the league in [taking] charges. That’s probably one of the better things [I do].

I didn’t really know until the playoffs last year that I was quicker than most everyone else. I just felt quicker than everybody else. The first couple of years, you don’t really notice you’re fast until you’re driving by guys. When you really figure it out, you can really use it as a weapon.

You’ve got to mix in the jumper, though. Tony Parker went through this, too. When guys figure out you’re a driver, they start to play you differently, and it’s harder to get to the rim. I struggled for a point when I wasn’t hitting my jump shots. I struggled to score because guys can take away [the drive] by playing off you. When you hit that jump shot, you can spread it out even more. I’ve been hitting my 3s a little bit more, too, and that really opens up everything.

Guys are still going under the screens, but right now I’m in a groove where I can still get to the rim whenever I want. I’ll still shoot the jump shots when they’re there and mix it in, but for the most part I’m just reading the situation.

If I can space it out to the 3 and hit that at a consistent rate, there’s really not much they can do. It’s really going to be tough then. Tony Parker is a good model, but he’s still not shooting 3s. He takes it out 18, 19 feet, but he still gets to the rim in transition. He’s making a living off that right now.

I can still improve on things during the regular season. The last 10 games I’ve probably been hitting a higher percentage of shots than I have all season. I’ve been coming in with [assistant coach Joe Prunty] to work out late at night and get that feeling and confidence up.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Sounds a little arrogant, but I guess it is a "diary." He normally doesn't seem arrogant to me at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #3
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Sounds a little arrogant, but I guess it is a "diary." He normally doesn't seem arrogant to me at all.
I thought the same thing.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

It ain't bragging if its true. Seen anybody keep up with him lately?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

His shadow. Barely.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:44 AM   #6
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

My friend, a Celtics fan and general basketball nut, always said Devin has a cocky air to him and I didn't buy it - thought he was just being haterish...

I guess he knows what's up.

YO, Devin, keep balling but don't break your neck, big-head.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

First, I have no clue as to what the article was intended for or how Harris stated his comments...basically what is the context and environment in which those statements where made?

That being said, if Harris gains more confidence which translates into continued lights out play or dare I say improved play, then get cocky my friend and turn into the NBA Poster Boy as far as a great talent!!! How great would it be to see Harris step up his game in the playoffs and championship to the point of winning the Finals MVP!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I finally figured out the Milk Face moniker given to him. Someone watched Borat. But he's no Vanilla Face. Nor is he a Chocolate Face.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Can we get a link to this diary entry?

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/47837.html
Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I don't mind the cockiness. At his position you have to have that edge and it's not so much a physical thing as it is a mental thing. I think Avery is incorporating that in him very very well and I believe it's going to translate into much success for him.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

He comes across as very confident. I think that's a good thing right now as long as he stays that confident on the floor. There have been times in his career when he didn't seem that confident on the court.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think he has earned a little arrogance. This team could use a little of that from time to time. Teams never prepare for Harris, and I love it.

....but like Han Solo said "Thats great kid....don't get cocky."

We should get more Wisconsin players....Harris and Finley turned out very well. Two totally different games too.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-26-2007 at 12:55 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote