Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Mavfan + Ravenfan

Mavfan + Ravenfan is on a distinguished road
Default OT: weight lifting

I'm wondering why it takes so long for some nba players to get there weight up. I recently got some dumbells and a bench in the beginning of january, back then i was 6'3 177, now I'm 6'3 194. Didn't seem hard to me at all. I don't know if bradley was trying to get bigger but he really never got big at all.
It seems like over the summer with all their high paid nutritonists and trainers, that they could easily put on 20 pounds if they wanted to. But guys like Jamal crawford and Tyson chandler for example, have been trying for years/seasons to get bigger. I guess they can't put on weight becasue they have small body frames or something.
When we was eight, we went to Bat Day to see the Yanks
In Sixty-Nine, his father and mines, they robbed banks
He pointed to the charm on his neck
With his last bit of energy left, told me rock it with respect
I opened it, seen the god holdin his kids
Photogenic, tears just burst out my wig

AKA-wu banga at db.com
AKA-mavsravensfanatic at scout.com

Last edited by Mavfan + Ravenfan; 04-06-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Mavfan + Ravenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavfan + Ravenfan
I'm wondering why it takes so long for some nba players to get there weight up. I recently got some dumbells and a bench in the beginning of january, back then i was 6'3 177, now I'm 6'3 194.
are you sure you didn't grow an inch?....6'3" before AND after?
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:59 PM   #3
TheBlueVan
Golden Member

TheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to allTheBlueVan is a name known to all

haha. its because they run more than any of us would ever dream, plus they dont want to jack their shots up
TheBlueVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:36 PM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I'm sure there are people who know more about this then I do, but I'll offer a quickie response.

1) This is the first time you've ever worked out. Unless you take steroids, you will never see such a fast increase in muscle mass. These athletes have been working out for a long time. It's not easy to put on mass after your "first cycle."

2) Also, you may have an ideal frame for putting on muscle mass. Do you have wide shoulders? Some men just have body types that make adding weight very hard to do.

Just a quick response.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 PM   #5
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Before my senior year in High School I was trying to gain weight for football cause I was a little thin. I was told to get a box of protein shakes and drink them every night before I went to bed. During the summer I went from around 160 to just under 180 doing this and lifting weights.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

SaltwaterChaffy: Good points.

Let me add another: The weight that we are looking to add is muscle weight. Of the 20 pounds that you gained, how much of that is muscle weight? Did you measure your body fat percentage?

Due to strenuous practises and games, it'd be impossible for atheletes to gain any weight during the season. The only time when they get to do it is during the offseason and we all know that by then they'd be busy having barbeques and what not.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #7
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

For chandler i guarantee you a large part of it is his metabolism. Guys that tall and thin have ridiculous metabolisms that make it almost impossible to gain weight. Some people can gain muscle, some cant. Its part of your body chemistry. Also as mentioned above you will never get stronger than when you first start working out.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

It's also the ratio of fast-twitch to slow-twitch muscle fibers you have been given/born with.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/e.../aa080901a.htm

"The two fiber types generally produce the same amount of force per contraction, but fast twitch fibers produce that force at a higher rate (they fire more rapidly). So a lot of fast twitch fibers can be an asset to a sprinter when there is a limited amount of time to generate maximal force. The slow twitch fibers, on the other hand, fire less rapidly, but can go for a long time before they fatigue.

The genetic component of muscle fiber type can not be overlooked when it comes to performance. Olympic athletes tend to be genetically blessed with large variations in fast and slow twitch fibers that perfectly suit their sport. Olympic sprinters have been shown to possess about 80% fast twitch fibers while those who excel in the marathon may have 80% slow twitch fibers.

Can you change your muscle fiber type by training?

This is a hard question to answer because good studies are just now being conducted (3). Currently, there is limited evidence to show that human skeletal muscle switches fiber types from "fast" to "slow" due to training (4). Researchers have demonstrated a fast-to-slow fiber transformation in animal skeletal muscle, and the human studies are showing similar outcomes. There is decent evidence that pure fast (Type IIb) fibers can transition to "hybrid" (Type IIa) fibers with chronic endurance training."
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i remember reading an article about bradley during his first season with philly.

they tried everything they could to get him to keep weight on. numerous philly cheesesteaks a day, crazy caloric intake. it just did not stick.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #10
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
For chandler i guarantee you a large part of it is his metabolism. Guys that tall and thin have ridiculous metabolisms that make it almost impossible to gain weight. Some people can gain muscle, some cant. Its part of your body chemistry. Also as mentioned above you will never get stronger than when you first start working out.
This is 100% true. This is what I have dealt with my whole life. I am 6'8" and have been around 175 my whole life. That is skinny when you are that tall. I have been to numerous doctors about it. They all conclude that my metabolism is hitting at a super high rate. I doesn't matter what I eat, how much I eat, I will never gain that weight I want unless my metabolism slows down. That could happen later on in life as it does in many men. I was a big time weightlifter all through highschool, did the protein shake thing, everything legal I could try. Nothing ever worked. The only thing that worked was steroids. I did one cycle of sustanon 250 and gained 15 pounds in a matter of about 6 weeks. I did not do them again after that and lost the weight immediatly. Metabolism is the reason why SB was so skinny.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:53 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

damn sixeight! as i said before, i'm 6'8", too. but i'm 260-270 lbs. and people say i look lanky (although I don't really agree). you must be a beanpole! how old are you, if you don't mind me asking? maybe your metabolism will slow down as you age.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-07-2006 at 02:54 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #12
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

I am 26 almost 27. It has gradually slowed, but not too much. I am sure it will slow emough. My coach in high school had the same thing. He was practically the same size as I was in highschool, then his slowed and he is at like 220 or so. I am not worried about it though. I have heard every line in the book. I can still take any big man to the hoop and dunk on him like no tommorrow. my weight doesn't slow me down/
Old 04-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

well, i wouldn't expect not having extra weight to slow you down. seems like it would speed you up. that would give you an advantage against bigger guys. But i'd still throw a nice elbow to your ribs.

I'm 27, and have been above 200 since high school. but i think my metabloism actually helped me, cause i was a fat kid in middle school. Then i hit my growth spurt and my metabloism sped up. I stayed about the same weight, but streteched out. Then gradually put on more weight when working out (i wasn't 200 pounds in middle school).
Old 04-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #14
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

Then I would put my foot on your face as I was flying past you to dunk the ball, haha.

really, I have always played against bigger guys, I am used to it. Just because I am skinny doesn't mean I don't have any muscle. That is actually all that I am. Just muscle. no fat. I guess that is what gets burned off. It sucked in highschool, but I could really care less about it now.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #15
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

I actually think I have like a hyperactive thyroid or something cause no one in my family is over 6 foot. I shot up so fast in jr high and was 6'6" by then time I was a freshman in highschool. oh well, at least I get a good shot down all the girls shirts. hahah.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha ha. perv.

you don't want to try to dunk on me. That's an undercut waiting to happen.

nah, just kidding, i hate when guys do that.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #17
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Wow sixeight, do I envy you! I can't even eat junk food without thinking about the fat I'd gain. Life's so unfair...

Last edited by TripleDipping; 04-07-2006 at 05:03 PM.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #18
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

As far as weigh like triple is talking about, the weight itself is based on metabolism but a big part of how you look is based on how you carry it. Im 6 2 255 and im not fat. In fact most people guess i weigh around 200 to 210. I have literally won bets based on going and standing on a scale at the Y. Your body chemistry basically controls what you will look like. Unless you are willing to never eat.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #19
Mavfan + Ravenfan

"Did you measure your body fat percentage?"
Sometime in mid march i was at 9%.
"
Do you have wide shoulders?
"
I don't know if this has any thing to do with shoulder width but I got a 6'8 armspand. I look like a freak from a distance cause I got those long arms plus I wear size 16 shoes and I'm only 15. This is probaly the last year my shoe size is going to be larger than my age.

AKA-wu banga at db.com
Old 04-07-2006, 10:44 PM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
i remember reading an article about bradley during his first season with philly.

they tried everything they could to get him to keep weight on. numerous philly cheesesteaks a day, crazy caloric intake. it just did not stick.
The thing about Bradley is, he's really not skinny. He's got a 38" waist. If you're 6'4" with a 32" waist, you are Adonis, right? Add a foot and four inches around, and it's pretty proportional.

Guys like Bradley just look skinny on TV. Mainly because of fat fucks like Shaq. I'm sure we all remember the shots of him at LSU. He hasn't gotten any taller, but he's sure as hell gotten a hell of a lot fatter.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
I have literally won bets based on going and standing on a scale at the Y.
man, i ALWAYS win a prize at those "guess your weight" things at the fair. the dude is always waaaaaaaay off. like i said, i weigh in the 260-270 range, but they always guess much lower.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-08-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #22
Mavfan + Ravenfan

bradley is that skinny, by skinny i mean weak. He probaly couldn't bench 170.

AKA-wu banga at db.com