Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Josh Howard

Just reviewed the pro exposure box scores and this guy seems to be really playing well. Shaky the first night but close to averaging 20+, 7+ rebs, 2.x steals. Has anyone seen league statistics anywhere???
Even when he doesn't shoot well he seems to take it to the rack and still get his points at the ft line and makes his fts. No 3pt shooter however. ;^)

## Player FG 3PT FT PTS OR DR TR F A TO B S MIN
5 Josh Howard 3/11 0/2 3/3 9 3 3 6 6 1 2 0 1 24:55
5 Josh Howard 10/17 0/0 14/15 34 3 4 7 3 0 7 1 4 46:33
5 Josh Howard 3/14 0/2 10/10 16 7 2 9 5 1 2 1 2 37:31
5 Josh Howard 7/16 0/2 9/15 23 3 5 8 1 1 2 1 1 43:28
5 Josh Howard 8/16 0/0 5/5 21 8 3 9 1 1 4 1 4 34:00
5 Josh Howard 8/11 2/2 9/11 27 4 5 9 6 2 5 1 4 36:10

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Josh Howard

Found the stats..

PLAYER TEAM YRS G FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A REB RPG AST APG PTS PPG
Josh Howard Dallas R 6 39-85 2-8 50-59 48 8.0 6 1.0 130 21.7

He's doing quite well. The only player outscoring him is Mike Dunleavy and the only player outrebounding him is Nick Collision(great name) and Nikoloz Tskitishvili...

Pretty solid summer I'd say...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-19-2003, 02:20 PM   #3
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Josh Howard

Yea Josh Howard is probably going to start. I knew since the day we drafted hime he'd fit in well with the Mavs offense.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Yeah, it seems like a good draft decision. A point for Nellie. Hope Howard doesn't defraud us in the season.

He will have to play same or better than TAW (and Raja, if signs) very soon, if not, Nellie won't let him play many minutes.

Old 07-19-2003, 02:57 PM   #5
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Josh Howard

He looked pretty good for a 29th pick. This guy drive to the basket often instead of settling for jumpshots. Although, his jumpshots are not bad at all. He will definitely be a starter in a month into the season at 3 spot.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road
Default Josh Howard

I too was looking at those stats last night. I was surprised that no one on this board was talking about it. Just lots of moaning about FA.

8 rebs/game average. Damn. He also looks to have the most free throw attempts. That means putting the ball on the floor and going to the basket and drawing fouls. I like it.

Put that along with his defense, which is what he is really touted for and I smell a starter.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 04:42 PM   #7
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about
Default Josh Howard

Quote:
Originally posted by: DNNF
He looked pretty good for a 29th pick. This guy drive to the basket often instead of settling for jumpshots. Although, his jumpshots are not bad at all. He will definitely be a starter in a month into the season at 3 spot.
Nellie better keep him away from the other players and especially Fin. Otherwise, will soon forget how to drive and settle for the J [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:23 PM   #8
dude1394
Guru

Default Josh Howard

It's more like it will get fin off the snide. Watching a rookie taking it to the hoop and playing tougher than you can rub off on a fella.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 02:50 AM   #9
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road
Default Josh Howard

He's gonna be a nice fit and i sure hope he suprises all of us.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:47 AM   #10
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I really think he's a good player. I think he is already better than Griff and Raja. He's going to be a welcome addition. I feel ashamed for questioning his selection at the time.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:04 AM   #11
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough
Default Josh Howard

I think he had an agenda to prove people 's wrong to let him slip this far off the 1st round. He was project to go in the 20th pick. Alot of people in this forum were disappointed with this pick.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 01:53 PM   #12
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough
Default Josh Howard

I admit he looks good, but let's not get too crazy. He is afterall, playing against the bottom of the barrel. I hope to see him in the Mavs rotation though. Especially if he'll continue to drive to the basket, that's what this team needs when they're not hitting their outside shots. Plus, he can't be any worse that TAW...
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:02 PM   #13
Razor

Razor is on a distinguished road
Default Josh Howard

TAW is really not that bad. He just cant seem to stay healthy. I've seen some fearless dunks by TAW. I hope Josh Howard and TAW combo can tear it up this year. We got a steal in this years draft.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #14
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default Josh Howard

I still think they need to start a veteran at the 3, for atleast half of the year, or maybe the whole season. And make him come off the bench, and wait till he developes. And realizes how the game is played. Kind of like they did BD1 in Charlotte.

I do think he is promising, and will fill the 3 spot that they need filled.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:24 PM   #15
dude1394
Guru

Default Josh Howard

Quote:
Originally posted by: AnMan21
I admit he looks good, but let's not get too crazy. He is afterall, playing against the bottom of the barrel. I hope to see him in the Mavs rotation though. Especially if he'll continue to drive to the basket, that's what this team needs when they're not hitting their outside shots. Plus, he can't be any worse that TAW...
I'm not sure we are going crazy. ;^) But looking at what our number 3 starters were last year... raja, griffin and then eddie as four and dirk as 3..., this guy looks like an upgrade.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:11 AM   #16
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all
Default Josh Howard

Noticed on yesterday's RMR boxscore that Josh didn't dress for the game. Did the coaching staff feel that it was pointless to play him now knowing how he plays, maybe protecting him from injury? Maybe they want to concentrate on watching other players?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:26 AM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Noticed on yesterday's RMR boxscore that Josh didn't dress for the game. Did the coaching staff feel that it was pointless to play him now knowing how he plays, maybe protecting him from injury? Maybe they want to concentrate on watching other players?
I know the coaches like to sit a player for at least one game to get a better look at another. The Mavs have 3 games to play and I'd be surprised if they sat him for the rest of them.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:04 PM   #18
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Josh Howard

I'm really looking forward to seeing Howard play since I don't get any of the summer league games. I said he looked good when we got him & now it looks like he'll be our "big" summer pick-up. It's nice that he's mature & can probably slip right into relatively big minutes right away. If he's as good as he looks like he's going to be, the Mavs will be a better team even w/out other pick-ups.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:55 PM   #19
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road
Default Josh Howard

What I like most about this guy is that he has the FT attempts, which means he's taking it to the hoop. Too bad Finley can't dribble - maybe he could do the same thing. But I digress...

Looks like a good draft choice. Which is a big plus since the offseason hasn't gone as planned.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 11:25 PM   #20
dude1394
Guru

Default Josh Howard

Quote:
Looks like a good draft choice.

I'm sure murphy will straighten us all out on this and make sure to let us know that this will be 5 years in a row that mavs management has stunk.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 09:15 AM   #21
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Josh Howard

Josh Howard will start SOME games for the Mavs.

Raja Bell started SOME games for the Mavs.

Please, folks. Temper your enthusiasm.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:20 AM   #22
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I am gonna have to go with Dooby on this one, lets wait to see him play against some real competition before we start giving him the starting SF position on a team that made it too the WCF.

So for that, I am putting out the fire:

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Josh Howard

Quote:
Looks like a good draft choice.
Agree. For the 29th pick, anyway. But Buckner was a good draft choice for where he was selected, Nájera a good draft choice for where he was selected,......hell, WANG was a good draft choice for where HE was selected.

And none of them are difference makers.

Perspective, please.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 02:41 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Josh Howard

Anybody heard of Stephen Jackson and Tony Parker? One was undrafted and the toerh was the 29th pick in the draft and both ended up being difference makers for there squad. While I think its a bit much to jump on a guy who is doing well in summer league I think its a great step in the right direction. He could be stinking it up in summer league but he is taking advantage. If the media can jump on Lebron for having games similiar to Josh than I see nothing wrong with Mavs fans jumping on Josh for having some good games.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote