Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-20-2003, 09:39 AM   #1
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lafrentz - Bring somebody else in here to fill that spot

Link

LaFrentz an outsider to Mavs' inside needs
By Dwain Price
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS - With their championship hopes possibly hanging on the outcome, the Mavericks so far have conducted a futile search this summer for a center who can give them a physical presence in the paint.

Raef LaFrentz admittedly is not that type of center.

"If they're looking at me to be an enforcer or to be a dominator underneath the goal, I never have been that and probably won't be that," LaFrentz said. "So get somebody else in here to fill that spot."

The Mavericks this off-season inquired about free-agent centers Alonzo Mourning, P.J. Brown, Rasho Nesterovic and Michael Olowokandi before losing each to other teams.

Did the coast-to-coast search for a center bother LaFrentz?

"No, not really," he said. "Whatever role they want me to play, that's my role. I don't look at it as trying to fill my position. I look at it as trying to add physical presence. I'm a 6-[foot-]11 center, and I've been an undersized center my whole career."

LaFrentz experienced extreme career highs and lows last year.

The high? The Mavericks handed LaFrentz lifelong financial security July 30 when they signed him to a seven-year, $69 million contract.

The low? Before February's All-Star break, LaFrentz landed in coach Don Nelson's doghouse after Nelson publicly blasted him for not playing up to his potential.

Nelson even questioned whether the huge contract was at the root of the problem. He placed LaFrentz in an in-season training camp -- an embarrassing and uncomfortable situation for the center.

"That's probably the bad part of having all these expectations. There are times when the microscope puts it out of proportion," said LaFrentz, who will earn $8.1 million next season. "I wasn't playing great and Nellie decided to go that route with it as far as telling you guys [the media] first before he came to me. You guys knew more about it than I did to start out with."

LaFrentz insists he didn't put any added pressure on himself after signing the huge contract.

"You play hard and whatever happens, happens," he said. "You play to win basketball games, and last year we did that."

Owner Mark Cuban contends that the Mavericks have not given up on LaFrentz, despite the team's efforts to sign another center in the off-season.

"We have total confidence in Raef," Cuban said. "I know he was frustrated last [ season], but he is in the gym working hard to get better."

Last year, LaFrentz showed flashes of the player the Denver Nuggets made the third overall pick of the 1998 NBA Draft. But he still finished with career lows in scoring (9.3), rebounding (4.8), blocks (1.32) and minutes played (23.3).

Add the inconsistent play of Shawn Bradley and third-string center Evan Eschmeyer's knee problems, and the Mavericks know they must address their low-post needs.

Their Western Conference rivals already have improved this off-season. The world champion San Antonio Spurs replaced David Robinson with Nesterovic. Minnesota acquired Sam Cassell and Olowokandi. And the Los Angeles Lakers added Karl Malone and Gary Payton to help All-Stars Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

So what does LaFrentz think is preventing the Mavericks from reaching the next level?

"That's a tough question," he said. "Everybody seems to automatically think that it's a physical presence underneath the basket, and that could be one thing, but it's not the only thing.

"Whether or not we need a center, so to speak, I don't know. The offense that we play isn't conducive to a strong low-post offensive presence more so than on the defensive end. So if you get a strong defensive-minded [center], I think that's something that could help our team, but you never know until he gets here."

Mourning apparently was prepared to sign with the Mavericks, but instead joined the New Jersey Nets.

"I think [Zo] could have helped our team, without a doubt," LaFrentz said. "To add to this team, you want guys that can do things that aren't already being done here. You don't want to add the same type of player.

"Zo would have brought a mentality to the table that, to be honest, not any guys on this team can bring. This is not a physically overpowering team."

LaFrentz, 27, is working out daily in the Mavericks' weight room at American Airlines Center in an effort to increase his strength. Next month, he'll return to his home in Monona, Iowa, to continue a similar weight-training regimen.

As he reminisces about last season, LaFrentz doesn't think the expectations placed on him were unreasonable. And he understands that the more money he makes, the higher the expectations.

"I've been in situations where there were no expectations, and as a player that's not a lot of fun," LaFrentz said. "Here, there are great expectations and there is more at stake.

"It seems like every game we play, you keep getting more pressure as a player. But it's definitely fun to be a part of."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-20-2003, 09:45 AM   #2
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Lafrentz says "Bring somebody else in here to fill that spot"

A self-proclaimed role player making max money? Where is that primal scream thread.........?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:26 AM   #3
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

LaFrentz makes almost $100,000 a game. That's what Cuban pays for some awkward threes and six cheap fouls.

He had better bust his ass this offseason. Surely he doesn't want to be known as the next Bradley.
mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 AM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Lafrentz says "Bring somebody else in here to fill that spot"

Quote:
It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money. It's not max money.
Rhylan, it's not max money? Is that what you're telling us? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As for Raef, it's good to hear he's working out, but is it really going to make him any better? The guy admits he'll never be the enforcer the Mavs are looking for this summer.

All I know, he surely can't sink lower than he did last year at times. The only way is up.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

interesting little article.
it kinda sounds like his confidence has completely vanished....and it appears like don nelson might have a little to do with that.

What do you think about a coach calling a player out in the media before talking to the player?

"That's probably the bad part of having all these expectations. There are times when the microscope puts it out of proportion," said LaFrentz, who will earn $8.1 million next season. "I wasn't playing great and Nellie decided to go that route with it as far as telling you guys [the media] first before he came to me. You guys knew more about it than I did to start out with."

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #7
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rhylan
Max-ish.

And too much.

A couple more signings like this and the Mavericks can be the NYKs of the southwest, except they'll have cornered the market on slow, non-leaping, unathletic, unskilled, overpaid, underproducing post plaers instead of slow, non-leaping, unathletic, unskilled, overpaid, underproducing point guards.

Old 07-20-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

He is payed high, as a starter, he is playing low, as a bencher or role player, and he is still complaining at Nelson?

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Old 07-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

What is the real story on the Denver trade? Was the trade for LaF hatched by Nellie? By Cuban? By both of them? Did one support it while the other didn't?

If this was a trade pushed by Cuban but not fully supported by Nellie this would explain Nellie's tack with LaF.

If the trade was Nellie's stillborn brainchild, then it would explain in part the reports of strained relations between the two of them.

Or if they both supported it, as is most likely the case, both of the fat liars are now trying to smear the other with the stenchy-bile of the worst move they've made.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
"If they're looking at me to be an enforcer or to be a dominator underneath the goal, I never have been that and probably won't be that," LaFrentz said. "So get somebody else in here to fill that spot."
I wish Raef would have said that before Cuban invested that much money in him.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
Quote:
Max-ish.

And too much.

A couple more signings like this and the Mavericks can be the NYKs of the southwest, except they'll have cornered the market on slow, non-leaping, unathletic, unskilled, overpaid, underproducing post plaers instead of slow, non-leaping, unathletic, unskilled, overpaid, underproducing point guards.
He started out under $7 mil last year where Dirk started above $10mil. That's quite a difference. They both have contracts for the same number of years, and have the maximum raises. This year, he will make $7.5 and Dirk will make $11.3.

If you're going to call Raef "max-ish" you might as well call TAW "nearly max-ish." That's dumb. He's not a max money guy, period, so don't even bring it up. "Max" has connotations that even Raef shouldn't have to put up with.

He sucked last year, and he's overpaid. But that doesn't mean you can ignore facts that he's going to end up making money similar to PJ, Nesty, and Brad Miller.. and before last year, he was statistically comparable to those three. Even if he's a wuss and has a Gumpesque IQ. Imagine what teams would be bidding for him this summer if we'd signed him to a one-year tender last year. He might have actually played decently, and since scrambling is the modus operandi for Cubes and Donnie, we'd end up overpaying even MORE than we currently are overpaying. My guess is that it took overpaying last year to keep Raef from going for the one-year and potentially bigger payoff this offseason. That could very easily be part of why we overpaid. That, and Cuban screwed up.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:38 PM   #12
MikeB
Golden Member

MikeB has a spectacular aura aboutMikeB has a spectacular aura about

I don't get what all the fuss is about. Is it because of his contract? All Raef was doing was pointing out the obvious. He is not, has never been, and will never be a dominating inside force. It is not in his personality or abilities. Raef is a tweener. Part PF and part C. All of this was known before he came here.
Now if the question is, "Can he play better?"...then I am hoping the answer is a resounding "YES!"
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #13
JoshHoward5

JoshHoward5 is on a distinguished road

I live in Kansas and used to watch Raef play at KU. Back then he was good. Really good. Raef can lift all the weights he wants, but he can never be good until he raises his cofidence, and the fans support him. Infact, quit complaining about Raef. Go write him some fan mail and tell him you support him. The main reason he was good at KU was that the fans liked him. At the next game hold up a sign that says GO RAEF GO!!!!! And maybe, just maybe, he will begin to improve.
JoshHoward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:21 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy I would agree that nellies handling of raef obviously has affected his confidence. However I'm not sure I can fault nellie for giving it to him ALTHOUGH doing in the media is big time STOOPID. It's not helpful.

There was no reason to do this publicly. I actually think that nellie and the mavs would be served a lot better by really finding a big man coach that these guys could respect, mokeski ain't it. No one respects that guy, maybe moses malone or someone who was one bad man and is still willing to knock 'em on their keister in practice.

Raef is pretty right on about zo's presence helping their attitude as much as anything.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:31 PM   #15
Speedy

Speedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the roughSpeedy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Murphy I would agree that nellies handling of raef obviously has affected his confidence. However I'm not sure I can fault nellie for giving it to him ALTHOUGH doing in the media is big time STOOPID. It's not helpful.

There was no reason to do this publicly. I actually think that nellie and the mavs would be served a lot better by really finding a big man coach that these guys could respect, mokeski ain't it. No one respects that guy, maybe moses malone or someone who was one bad man and is still willing to knock 'em on their keister in practice.

Raef is pretty right on about zo's presence helping their attitude as much as anything.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:36 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

dude, i have no problems with nellie ripping into raef..and i have no problem if it's done publicly in certain situations. However, i do have a problem with nellie ripping raef in the public before discussing it privately
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:45 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Quote:
I actually think that nellie and the mavs would be served a lot better by really finding a big man coach that these guys could respect, mokeski ain't it. No one respects that guy, maybe moses malone or someone who was one bad man and is still willing to knock 'em on their keister in practice.
I've never understood what Mokeski brought to the staff--he was a total spare as a player, without any discernible skill that I ever witnessed. Malone would be difficult because of the language barrier; Abdul-Jabbar questionable because he would be a superstar trying to coach a workhorse.

I've never understood why the Mavericks didn't pull in either a Jack Sikma--former Nellie player with fairly comparable skills to LaF; or Dave Cowens, former Nellie teammate, under-sized, left-handed post player who had a pretty decent career.

There are former players out there who should be able to help Raef. Why hasn't the team done more?
Old 07-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #18
Randall the Great IV

Randall the Great IV is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Does it matter? We bid against ourselves and paid him $35 million more than anyone else would have.
Randall the Great IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #19
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Randall the Great IV
Quote:

Does it matter? We bid against ourselves and paid him $35 million more than anyone else would have.
Maybe, maybe not. Raef looked like a pretty solid guy when they signed him.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-20-2003, 06:23 PM   #20
Randall the Great IV

No he didn't. He's been garbage since he came to Dallas. He's never played well consistently, and he's never fit in. To give him a contract like that was just plain stupid.

Contracts like that: Evan, Raef, Finley, TAW, etc. are the reason we won't have cap room for the next six or seven years. Good luck improving with the exception, Cuban. You dumbass.

I told you, overpaying REDUCES flexibility (Unless you're the Lakers). It was obvious then. Now, it's undeniable.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:26 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder how many forums, usernames, etc Randall the Goof has been banned from?

*sigh*
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:30 PM   #22
mattyd
Banned

mattyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

Rule No. 1 of being a GM: Never bid against yourself. You'll get butt raped in the end.

mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 07:39 PM   #23
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
We bid against ourselves and paid him $35 million more than anyone else would have.
Rule No. 1 of being a GM: Never bid against yourself.[/quote]

I assume you'all have first hand knowledge of this?

Old 07-20-2003, 08:14 PM   #24
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Look avery johnson is making 5.6 million dollars to be an assistant coach, tariq abdul wahad is making 6.6 million to be a mop up player and evan eschmeyer is getting paid 4 million a season to be a third line center those are the outrageous contracts not lafrentz. Maybe if nellie would stop himself with 7 foot 6 projects and just let lafrentz make a few mistakes here and their the dude would produce just a suggestion. Listen without lafrentz big contract we would still be over the cap so it doesn't matter. Name an NBA player that isn't overpaid they all are.

Holger should work with raef too.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:20 PM   #25
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
. Name an NBA player that isn't overpaid they all are.
Rafer Alston
Gary Payton
Karl Malone
Ben Wallace
Shawn Marion
Raja Bell
Old 07-20-2003, 09:20 PM   #26
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
Quote:

It does matter, dammit. Over the life of his contract, it's about a 40% over-estimation to say Raef makes max money.

Raef is ripe for criticism, but we're no better than two-bit sportswriters if we don't research before we speak. It ain't the money that's making Raef suck. It's Raef that's making Raef suck.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:27 PM   #27
Randall the Great IV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It does matter, dammit. Over the life of his contract, it's about a 40% over-estimation to say Raef makes max money.

Raef is ripe for criticism, but we're no better than two-bit sportswriters if we don't research before we speak. It ain't the money that's making Raef suck. It's Raef that's making Raef suck.

No, it's the money. No one would complain if he was making Shawn Bradley money. But when he's paid as an elite player, we expect him to produce as one.

Raef at $3 million a year isn't a bad player. Raef at $10 million a year is irri-damn-diculous.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:28 PM   #28
Randall the Great IV

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio

*sigh*
Zero.

Why are you on my nuts, anyway?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #29
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Raef is overpaid to the average fan because he is a worthless pussy that won't lift his f*cking arms straight up in the air get a f*cking rebound. He will not hold his position on the blocks but instead crumbles into a ball looking like he just got kicked on the playground and is crying to his mama to save his worthless ass. He shows a flash about every fifth game or so with a good performance, a tip jam here, an aggressive weakside block and rebound, but it isn't enough. He sucks. Pure and simple, He flat out sucks. Looking at him last year, I'm amazed that anyone ever took him in the the top 5. He has not improved one damn aspect of his game and he's been in the league for 5 f*cking years. How in the hell is that possible? Does he even work on his damn game?

But to the GM, he is paid an average big man salary. And unfortunately the Mavs get f*cked over because of it.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM   #30
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
but he can never be good until he raises his cofidence, and the fans support him. Infact, quit complaining about Raef. Go write him some fan mail and tell him you support him. The main reason he was good at KU was that the fans liked him. At the next game hold up a sign that says GO RAEF GO!!!!! And maybe, just maybe, he will begin to improve.
After Raef was called out publicly by Nellie I took a sign to a game that said "I believe in Raef". I got some interesting looks. It is interesting to me that now in this article he is saying that he is never going to be what people want him to be. When he signed his seven year deal last summer he said something like, "I will play any position they want me to play. Heck, I'll even play point guard". I think all of the criticism is starting to get him. Most people don't feel sympathy for him. I happen to. He is a power forward, not a center. Who wouldn't turn down bundles of cash to play a position you weren't suited to play? He accepted the cash. I don't fault him for that. I fault Cuban and/or Nellie.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:07 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Quote:

*sigh*
Zero.

You clutter many of my favorite forums with crap. It's like taxes. People groan and laugh at you all over the internet. And zero is a lie. Finally, you imply that you have nuts to begin with and I contend that to be a lie as well.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Raef is overpaid to the average fan because he is a worthless pussy that won't lift his f*cking arms straight up in the air get a f*cking rebound. He will not hold his position on the blocks but instead crumbles into a ball looking like he just got kicked on the playground and is crying to his mama to save his worthless ass. He shows a flash about every fifth game or so with a good performance, a tip jam here, an aggressive weakside block and rebound, but it isn't enough. He sucks. Pure and simple, He flat out sucks. Looking at him last year, I'm amazed that anyone ever took him in the the top 5. He has not improved one damn aspect of his game and he's been in the league for 5 f*cking years. How in the hell is that possible? Does he even work on his damn game?

But to the GM, he is paid an average big man salary. And unfortunately the Mavs get f*cked over because of it.

I don't think Bayliss likes Raef. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Seriously...the guy must show improvement this season or he will be a monumental bust. I'm willing to give Raef about half of a season to show something. He finished on a roll, but he was basically put into a corner and had to come out fighting so it may have been an anomaly. We shall see.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:09 PM   #33
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it's the money. No one would complain if he was making Shawn Bradley money. But when he's paid as an elite player, we expect him to produce as one.

Raef at $3 million a year isn't a bad player. Raef at $10 million a year is irri-damn-diculous.
Read the whole thread. $10 mil a year is inaccurate. That's what DIRK made last year. Raef made less than $7 mil. The salaries go up with time, but so does practically every contract in the entire NBA.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:10 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

One more thing....Raef is probably at his tradable high right now. If he stinks it up this season we may very well be stuck with him over the lfe of the contract. If he breaks out though his contract will be somewhat bargain-easque depending on the prodcution.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #35
dude1394
Guru

I think bayliss has a man-crush for raef, that's why he's on him so hard.

And if raef made the same money as bradley, bayliss, etc. would still be on him. It's irrelevant, there are some fans (and sportswriters/sports talk radio hosts) that cannot do anything but rag on people. I think they are inadequate (if you get my drift)..
Old 07-20-2003, 10:25 PM   #36
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
He is a power forward, not a center.
Officially he plays both. But I think he played better as center last season, and many more minutes; and he didn't play well as center. Go figure.

His main problem is that many fouls, IMO. He was #2 in personal fouls per game, and I think #3 in fouls per 48 minutes.

Lack of determination, effort, dynamics (except for blocking), which leads him to not guard and rebound well, and weak legs, wich make him not dominate the paint, are also his problems.

The best part is that all can be improved...if he wants.

Old 07-20-2003, 10:27 PM   #37
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Sign Rarf for whatever you want to... he still is a worthless puss.

At least Bradley has a defensive impact on the game. At times, Bradley can be quite dominant on the defensive end. Can you ever say that about Raef?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:06 PM   #38
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

"Bring somebody else in here to fill that spot" - Raef

I'm not sure this is the kind of attitude Mavs fans want to see. Maybe something more along the lines of "I'm working hard to fill the position that the Mavs want me to play." When you're getting paid that much you better work at becoming what is expected of you. The fouls would diminish a little if the perimeter d got a little better, then he wouldn't be forced to help out and pick up cheap fouls. Hit the gym a little and bang around a little inside and he'd be fine - he's 7 feet tall. Nellie has surely seen that he doesn't feel comfortable pulling the trigger on the court, so get him OFF THE 3-POINT LINE!!!! He always looks for the pass before the shot, totally throwing off his rhythm. He needs to spend a little more time inside getting higher percentage shots and maybe his confidence will increase.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:52 AM   #39
Randall the Great IV

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Look avery johnson is making 5.6 million dollars to be an assistant coach, tariq abdul wahad is making 6.6 million to be a mop up player and evan eschmeyer is getting paid 4 million a season to be a third line center those are the outrageous contracts not lafrentz. Maybe if nellie would stop himself with 7 foot 6 projects and just let lafrentz make a few mistakes here and their the dude would produce just a suggestion. Listen without lafrentz big contract we would still be over the cap so it doesn't matter. Name an NBA player that isn't overpaid they all are.

Holger should work with raef too.
I hate that argument. If you don't overpay your players, or take on bad contracts, you have plenty of cap room most years. The Bulls, Clippers and Spurs all examples of this.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:56 AM   #40
Randall the Great IV

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

*sigh*
Zero.

You clutter many of my favorite forums with crap. It's like taxes. People groan and laugh at you all over the internet. And zero is a lie. Finally, you imply that you have nuts to begin with and I contend that to be a lie as well.
I'll do and say whatever the hell I want to. If you don't like it, <u>you</u> leave. Where have I been banned from?