Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
I think common sense would be that anything half-discussed in an official thread and half-discussed in a separate thread isn't going to be very well discussed at all, and that moving anything from an official thread to it's own thread would be a complex mess, and that almost all of the participation in any discussion is reading and replying to posts, not posting original discussion topics.
I think common sense would be that if you don't like this site, then move the f*ck on...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #42
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I think common sense would be that if you don't like this site, then move the f*ck on...
Saying that to trolls is one thing. Saying that to well intentioned posters who have done a great job in past basketball discussions is another. Unfortunately, I think we're losing a lot of good posters because of attitudes like this, and the quality of basketball discussion is likely to suffer this season.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #43
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Saying that to trolls is one thing. Saying that to well intentioned posters who have done a great job in past basketball discussions is another. Unfortunately, I think we're losing a lot of good posters because of attitudes like this, and the quality of basketball discussion is likely to suffer this season.
All you've done the last week is bitch about official threads - great contribution, champ!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #44
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think common sense would be that anything half-discussed in an official thread and half-discussed in a separate thread isn't going to be very well discussed at all, and that moving anything from an official thread to it's own thread would be a complex mess, and that almost all of the participation in any discussion is reading and replying to posts, not posting original discussion topics.

I mean this in all honesty, but it really isn't hard for me personally to read posts either in a long official thread or a single topic thread. And it doesn't take me that much time to do it, either.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #45
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
like 4 years ago. How long are people allowed a free pass to bitch and expect things without contributing?
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #46
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I mean this in all honesty, but it really isn't hard for me personally to read posts either in a long official thread or a single topic thread. And it doesn't take me that much time to do it, either.
It's definitely not as easy to search, and it's not that as easy for everyone to read.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-10-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #47
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
like 4 years ago. How long are people allowed a free pass to bitch and expect things without contributing?
I wasn't talking about any specific individual, and UD's post sounded like it applied to anyone.

But I don't think it should matter how long ago anyone was contributing. I think we should make real effort to find the best topics/threads ratio for attracting the best basketball posters, no matter how often they'd ever contributed. If I thought we were losing good basketball minds because of too many separate threads per topic, then I'd say that. As it is, I think we've got too many topics in a few threads.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #48
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I wasn't talking about any specific individual, and UD's post sounded like it applied to anyone.

But I don't think it should matter how long ago anyone was contributing. I think we should make real effort to find the best topics/threads ratio for attracting the best basketball posters, no matter how often they'd ever contributed. If I thought we were losing good basketball minds because of too many separate threads per topic, then I'd say that. As it is, I think we've got too many topics in a few threads.
Why not just make new threads? It's such a simple concept. You think we need more threads... make more.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
Underdog

Quote:
Why not just make new threads? It's such a simple concept. You think we need more threads... make more.
That's been said over & over again in this thread...

Maybe we need to make a new thread about it?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #50
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
That's been said over & over again in this thread...

Maybe we need to make a new thread about it?
The Official Common Sense Thread?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #51
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
because
1)topics are already started in the general threads, and keeping multiple partial conversations going doesn't work

2)it's not always about starting new topics, but about joining into ongoing discussions. That's hard to do for some people when multiple discussions are in the same thread.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #52
Underdog

Quote:
because
1)topics are already started in the general threads, and keeping multiple partial conversations going doesn't work

2)it's not always about starting new topics, but about joining into ongoing discussions. That's hard to do for some people when multiple discussions are in the same thread.
So what's your solution to this problem?

Have you thought up of a way to control what the ball do, or are you just going to keep repeating the same thing over & over?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #53
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
So what's your solution to this problem?
people should exercise the new thread option (everyone knows they can) instead of rolling all the threads into a single topic.

Quote:
Have you thought up of a way to control what the ball do, or are you just going to keep repeating the same thing over & over?
I have no idea what you mean by this.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #54
Underdog

Quote:
people should exercise the new thread option (everyone knows they can) instead of rolling all the threads into a single topic.
Why don't YOU exercise the new thread option? There have been plenty of topics this offseason (and plenty of threads), but the only thread you actually created was the Tyson Chandler thread (which is almost as vague as calling it "The Official Tyson Chandler Thread" when what you're really talking about is Tyson Chandler's participation with Team USA...)

Quote:
I have no idea what you mean by this.
Seems to me that you have a problem with free will and you think the best solution to that problem is bitching about it over and over again.

Maybe if you keep bitching you'll drive everyone away so you can run this site however the hell you want... Or maybe you can go start your own Mavs site with the other old-timers who had superior basketball conversations before all us noobs showed up and made everything teh suck.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-10-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #55
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you did there.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #56
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why don't YOU exercise the new thread option?
why do you keep saying that? It's still not all about starting new threads. It would be easier to participate in ongoing topics if they were threaded.

Quote:
Seems to me that you have a problem with free will
what? Do you think everyone who doesn't agree with you about something has a problem with free will?

Quote:
Maybe if you keep bitching you'll drive everyone away so you can run this site however the hell you want... Or maybe you can go start your own Mavs site with the other old-timers who had superior basketball conversations before all us noobs showed up and made everything teh suck.
who said anything about anyone being superior to you? You are being defensive and irrational.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-10-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #57
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
why do you keep saying that? It's still not all about starting new threads. It would be easier to participate in ongoing topics if they were threaded.
lol jesus

For there to be threaded ongoing topics to participate in, SOMEONE has to "start new threads". Why not the person who is complaining about this.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
Underdog

Quote:
So what's stopping YOU from threading individual topics? Why is this everyone else's responsibility?

Quote:
what? Do you think everyone who doesn't agree with you about something has a problem with free will?
You're complaining about how other people use this site as if there's some solution to your complaint...

The only solution I can see is taking away everyone's free will to lump everything into one thread, otherwise your only solution is to live with it and stop bitching. You can't change how everyone else uses this site, but you can change how you deal with it.

If you want new threads for a topic, then make new threads, but quit crying about how everyone else conducts themselves... This is a message board, we're going to get off-topic and talk about things as they pop into our mind, regardless of which thread we're in (you know, the same way you chose to talk about better uses for the DUST Chip in the Tyson Chandler thread when there's already another thread dedicated to the DUST Chip... How will anyone know where to look for that conversation???)

Quote:
who said anything about anyone being superior to you? You are being defensive and irrational.
You're the one implying that old members stopped posting here because of "official threads" and "attitudes like mine" (as if the "move the f*ck on" attitude wasn't a regular fixture on this site back in the Good Ol' Days...)

I know the world sucks and it's everyone's fault but yours, but did you ever think that maybe lack of participation by older members has more to do with a 1st-round loss to Golden State, a 1st-round loss to New Orleans, a 2nd-round loss to Denver and a 1st-round loss to San Antonio than it has to do with anything that anyone around here has done in the last 4 years?

Who's being irrational here?

Last edited by Underdog; 09-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #59
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but the only thread you actually created was the Tyson Chandler thread (which is almost as vague as calling it "The Official Tyson Chandler Thread" when what you're really talking about is Tyson Chandler's participation with Team USA...)
I find "The Official Tyson Chandler Thread" to be a much less vague and more specific thread title than "Tyson Chandler".
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:09 AM   #60
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
lol jesus

For there to be threaded ongoing topics to participate in, SOMEONE has to "start new threads". Why not the person who is complaining about this.
because topics are ongoing, lumped together in a single thread. To move the discussion out to its own thread would be a community effort.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:18 AM   #61
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
You're complaining ... stop bitching. ..., but quit crying about how everyone else conducts themselves...
I'm not complaining, bitching, or crying. I'm just saying that I think a discussion board works better with threaded discussions. You are getting emotional and personal.

Quote:
The only solution I can see is taking away everyone's free will to lump everything into one thread,
I'd rather have a rational discussion about the benefits and drawbacks of threading topics.

Quote:
You're the one implying that old members stopped posting here
my implication is that you are purposefully chasing off people who might otherwise be productive posters - and I'm starting to think it's because you've got some weird personal attachment to the official threads thing.

Quote:
know the world sucks and it's everyone's fault but yours, but did you ever think that maybe lack of participation by older members. . .
When people say that the single thread for multiple topics thing is too hard for them to deal with, then I take them at their word.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-11-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 AM   #62
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

What a beating this thread is.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #63
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
because topics are ongoing, lumped together in a single thread. To move the discussion out to its own thread would be a community effort.
This must be a bit and I'm done with it. Think something shouldn't be discussed in the Off Season thread? Make a freaking thread about it. If you'll notice, we stopped talking about TC in the off season thread once the TC thread got started.

I'm done. You're bitching just to bitch.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #64
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Is it official yet?
Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 PM   #65
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
If you'll notice, we stopped talking about TC in the off season thread once the TC thread got started..
hasn't worked that way for everything. And things really slowed down in that thread after hitman posted this one.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 09-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hasn't worked that way for everything. And things really slowed down in that thread after hitman posted this one.
thats gotta be a bit. I think Fluid has you tagged.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #67
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Perhaps someone should start an "Official Cheese Thread" it would go good with all the Whine on this board
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #68
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orakintiree View Post
rzsue wsb viagra online ad viagra swqattyj hup achat viagra online vt viagra inhok Viagra gzd mh pcdsoz generic viagra aqgmt cialis dig bl zk gxl viagra online rh viagra gqi iimqf ztu
I think it would blow up if I took that many. It's not infinitely elastic, y'know...

Tags
bitchingkilledthiswebsite, existentialist thread, mytoasterdoesntmakecoffee, radiokilledthiswebsite, usually queefin sob fest