Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Dallas-Mavs.com Stuff

Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #161
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Who's up for an "Official Dallas Mavericks Discussion Thread"!?!? It would consolidate all those yucky threads we see into one neat and packaged place for all of our Mavs related discussion! We would be nothing like that heathen, barbaric db.com! It would save Dallas-Mavs.com billions in message board taxes!
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #162
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
I see nothing wrong with going into the general NBA thread and saying "damn, lebron is going off tonight" while I'm watching a Cavs game.
Exactly.

Quote:
I do see a problem with making it the only acceptable thread for posting about other teams making trades, injuries, whatever.
No one has ever said that.

^^ This man gets it. Bravo.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #163
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

It's not that anyone is making the catch-all threads the only acceptable places to post. It's that that's how they are being used.

The last page of the "general NBA" thread includes sub-threads on Durant's hot streak, nba security, and Oden's pictures, articles on Del Harris's retirement and on Duncan'ts ( ) contract, and Nash's ridiculous man commercials. Is none of that worth discussing on it's own?

If you ask me, the problem with the "general" threads is that they make people lazy about starting conversations. It's too easy to just post an article or a link as some random item rather than presenting something in a way that will get people excited about talking about it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #164
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Murphy, KG, Sike, you guys are the ones I want to hear from so its good to see that you all have opinions either way. As for posting threads, I'm usually very reluctant to start new threads as a norm. I have been on the db.com board because even though I have to wade through a bunch of stupid thread titles and some worthless threads, I get the breaking news quicker. That said I like the knowledge of the folks here better so I'm torn and thus my making this thread. As someone stated if a new thread had been cretaed on the Butler trade when it was said to be final, then I could have skipped the rumor section. Then when it wondered off into a sub topic such as minute distribution I think it would have been better for that to be another thread even though its related because there were plenty of people who might want to comment on that who didn't know to look in the butler trade thread for that conversation. Again I did not read the thread so how many tangents did it take? For instance I'm sure the trade exception was discussed in there and should still be getting discussed but its not on the first two pages of threads? How is someone supposed to know you guys even had anything to say on the topic? I guess I'll go ask the question.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #165
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
Who's up for an "Official Dallas Mavericks Discussion Thread"!?!? It would consolidate all those yucky threads we see into one neat and packaged place for all of our Mavs related discussion! We would be nothing like that heathen, barbaric db.com! It would save Dallas-Mavs.com billions in message board taxes!
http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35622
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #166
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

one things for sure...I would be happy to have a little more "stress" 'round these parts.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #167
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Stressboy and Hoopsmeister are two of the older guys that I miss having around.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 AM   #168
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
hahaha wow.. seriously?! When a General Mavs Discussion Thread is considered OK at a Mavs forum with a whole section dedicated to Mavs discussion.. then there is a problem.

I have another idea... how about we just have one thread for all discussion? I feel like Im going to have an aneurysm looking at all this dern threads!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #169
Robillion
Golden Member

I guess it's just not that big of a problem to me having separate threads for separate topics because I use this handy feature called "New Posts" where I only look at a screen with threads that have new posts in them. If I ever have to go to the dreaded 2nd page of that (which I think I have done like 4 times in my years here) then it is still less time taken away from me than going to one thread and having to read through pages of posts I couldnt care less about to get the info I want to know.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #170
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

For some, the more threads we have the easier it is to sort, for others, they'ld rather have everything jumbled together...

Each of us have our way of enjoying the board...if we didn't we'ld go somewhere else.

Kudos for having a Mavs Board PERIOD!!! It's a nice place to have watercooler talk regardless of how enlightened or retarded a comment can be.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #171
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad View Post
Kudos for having a Mavs Board PERIOD!!!
Is this better or worse than a regular period?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM   #172
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Is this better or worse than a regular period?
I think it's worse, the bleeding never stops...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #173
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Our 6th man and top 2 game finisher is out with a broken face. Where are we discussing his potential return? In a "Miscellaneous News" thread, jumbled up with which games are on tv right now and a ping pong tournament.

This board is seriously losing it's ability to maintain a coherent discussion.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM   #174
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #175
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Go for it.
There are already a set of posts on the topic in that Miscellaneous thread. A new thread will split the discussion, rather than helping it cohere. A new thread and a merge, on the other hand, would help, unless the board doesn't really want an independent conversation on Terry's injury.

Last edited by Usually Lurkin; 03-16-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #176
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i think there is a lot of stigma regarding making new threads because for such a long time, people like horse would start a new pointless thread every other day. Sorry for using you as an example horse, but you were pretty bad there for awhile. Not so much anymore...but...anyway. Maybe some of the more veteran members want to keep it like that. I mean, i know when you are a new member; it is kind of exciting to start new threads. I think there should be some leniency as far as not blasting a guy for starting a new thread, but at the same time, when the problem is as bad like back when horse was doing his thing...then maybe he should be suspended or banned.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #177
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
There are already a set of posts on the topic in that Miscellaneous thread. A new thread will split the discussion, rather than helping it cohere. A new thread and a merge, on the other hand, would help, unless the board doesn't really want an independent conversation on Terry's injury.
Punish the dopes who posted a major topic within a Miscellaneous thread by leaving their contributions to die a slow death in the Miscellaneous thread.

I haven't looked at the Miscellaneous thread. It's the dumbest idea I've ever seen. I don't even know what it's about. If there was a JET Inury Watch thread I'd be right there. So would dozens of others.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #178
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This board is boring the out of me lately.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 03-16-2010 at 04:29 PM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #179
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

we need to start over and nuke all of our past and current threads.....

to new beginnings!! cheers!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #180
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
Punish the dopes who posted a major topic within a Miscellaneous thread by leaving their contributions to die a slow death in the Miscellaneous thread.

I haven't looked at the Miscellaneous thread. It's the dumbest idea I've ever seen. I don't even know what it's about. If there was a JET Inury Watch thread I'd be right there. So would dozens of others.
Yep..I concur. But, I concur very quietly.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #181
Clutch21

Clutch21 is on a distinguished road

So, the owner of this site never comes here anymore but still pays for the site to be up?

I've been seeing a few successful sports forums go down lately do to not being able to pay the server bills (too high) anymore.
Clutch21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #182
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Can we merge this into and the hitman thread into "OFFICIAL Official Threads Are Ruining This Board"...
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #183
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

This forum just needs some basketball. That's all.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #184
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has my vote for "Most Entertaining Thread of the Year".

Seriously, how the hell did I miss this thread?

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
124characterlimit, because older = better?, got a bit fluffy in here, igetpaidtowritetags, ineedlargerfonttoo, look at me im important, officialtagssectionhere!, oldtag vs newtag, spamaholics, theproblemhere-->, threaderrhea, twitter/dallas-mavs.com