Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I wasn't really buying it until right at the end there. But hot damn, if there's "no doubt about it," what can I really do?

I'll tell you one thing--it certainly can't be the case that Dirk is correct, and the guy is just better than Dirk was at the same age. No way. Right? Right.
I'm not really sure if I'd trust Dirk to be any kind of authority on Dirk - just stick to those one-legged fadeaways and leave the analysis to those of us who spend more time on the internet than on the basketball court...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #42
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

@LonghornDub yes...and young Bargnani, too.

That's what Dirk said

Durant = Carter, Tmac, Melo, Stackhouse... all of them were better than young Dirk (yes Dirk is right). But are they better than Dirk ? we'll see...

Last edited by markus1234; 06-14-2012 at 01:40 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
@LonghornDub yes...and young Bargnani, too.

That's what Dirk said
In fact, that is not what Dirk said. He said young Bargnani was "more athletic than [he] ever was." He didn't say anything about Bargnani being better overall, which would have been ludicrous. But he is clearly saying (and implying) that about Durant. Not the same thing.

I find it pretty ironic that people think they're somehow defending Dirk by essentially saying that he's either 1) wrong, or 2) disingenuous.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #44
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm not really sure if I'd trust Dirk to be any kind of authority on Dirk - just stick to those one-legged fadeaways and leave the analysis to those of us who spend more time on the internet than on the basketball court...
It's true. What does he know about how other guys compare to him? What makes him the authori.....oh.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #45
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Dirk is not "wrong". He is right, but people are reading too much into his words.

Dirk is simply complimenting Durant and saying that his developement-curve is much quicker than Dirk's. And that right now he might be even the best player in this league (with aging Dirk, Kobe, Duncan and co...)

ps:
Quote:
Nowitzki on Bargnani: "He's better than I was at 20"

When asked what he thought of Bargnani Dirk smiled and said:
"I like him. He should keep his ears open, his eyes open. He's just a rookie right now, but he can really shoot. He can put the ball on the floor very well. He's what 19? 20? You know he has to work hard. He's better than I was at 20."
...it is just Dirk being Dirk. He is saying the same stuff about Aldridge, too. Just a humble guy. And it is up to you, how you (mis)interpret his words...

Last edited by markus1234; 06-14-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #46
LonghornDub

Quote:
Dirk is not "wrong". He is right, but people are reading too much into his words.
No, they're not. They're reading what he said.

Quote:
ps:
PS: Bargnani was better than Dirk at 20. This quote has nothing to do with the first one you posted.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #47
markus1234
Platinum Member

Underdog's losing his nerves again. Makes no sense to waste my time for this kind of childish stuff....

Last edited by markus1234; 06-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Underdog's losing his nerves again. Makes no sense to waste my time for this kind of childish stuff....
Thanks for putting my neg-rep into your sig - at least you didn't leave out a few of the words on this one like you have with some of the others...

Plus, I'm really happy that people will be googling "goatse" after reading that comment - you and I make a great team!

Last edited by Underdog; 06-14-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #49
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thanks for putting my neg-rep into your sig - at least you didn't leave out a few of the words on this one like you have with some of the others...

Plus, I'm really happy that people will be googling "goatse" after reading that comment - you and I make a great team!
LOL. Reminds me of that image that surfaced on the internet when it just getting big.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #50
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
you and I make a great team!
indeed

too bad you forget your medication from time to time...(see my sig)

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #51
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

What a dick
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #52
Underdog

Quote:
too bad you forget your medication from time to time...(see my sig)
I see your sig. Looks like you get called out on the asanine bullshit that you post quite often... Tell me about how Dirk is washed-up again, I love that story!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #53
markus1234
Platinum Member

Dirk's still in his prime. No doubt about it. Yawn.

ps: Tell me again how great and indispensable Wood is for our team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/...llas-mavericks

Mr. "i never post asanine bullshit".

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #54
Underdog

Quote:
Dirk's still in his prime. No doubt about it. Yawn.

ps: Tell me again how great and indispensable Wood is for our team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/team/stats/_/...llas-mavericks

Mr. "i never post asanine bullshit"
I like how you flipped the script there, as if your past posts just suddenly disappeared from the internet...

Quote:
Dirk's done. Chuck was right. Until Dirk proves us wrong. It is just horrible.
Quote:
being done (as a franchise player)=being inconsistent. Bad games start to happen more often than good games. That's what worries me. And that's what i am talking about.

And when did I ever say that Haywood was "indispensable"??

All I ever said is that the Mavs shouldn't/wouldn't amnesty him until they have a replacement who is actually a starter, which means they need to find someone better than Mahinmi or Wright... And I'm definitely not the only person on the internet saying that.

EDIT: I also like how you made a thread about Dirk/Durant all about you, as if anyone on this site gives a shit about how attention-starved you are.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #55
markus1234
Platinum Member

If i were attention-starved i would actually open a new thread...And if i wanted to "flip a script" i would delete my old posts...

...but i did not

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #56
Underdog

Quote:
If i were attention-starved i would actually open a new thread, which i never do...

And if i wanted to "flip a script" i would delete my old posts, which i never do either...

If you weren't attention-starved, then you would have never made this thread about yourself...

Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #57
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you guys wanna get a chatroom or something?

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #58
Underdog

I'm pretty sure Dirk gave high praise to Durant because he knows that Durant is one of the few players in the league right now who is likely to have a more successful career than him. Is KD lucky that so many elements outside of his control came together at such a young age? Yep... But you can't be a three-time scoring champ if you don't possess individual greatness.

Dirk knows what he's looking at, and he's probably grateful that he got his ring when he did - winning another one isn't going to be so easy with an ever-improving Kevin Durant guarding the gate for the rest of Dirk's career.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #59
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

What's wrong with other players being better than Dirk? He's been great, he's been special, he's been my favorite sports star for more than a decade, but I have no problem with there being other player more valuable, more versatile, more successful than him.

Comparisons between players of different generations is always problematic. I think the only players whose comparison with Dirk makes sense are Duncan, Garnett, and maybe Chris Webber. Power forwards of the 00's. I think Durant is already a new generation, a new breed of player. He might redefine the way the game is played on his position, like Dirk did. And at the end of Durant's career you might compare the two and talk about who had a more successful career and who did change the NBA more.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #60
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a problem with Durant likely having a more successful career than Dirk? I fully expect that to occur unless there's some type of catastrophic injury.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #61
Underdog

Kevin Durant is likable as both a player and as a person - I'd much rather see the future of the NBA in his hands than in LeBron's... He's a much better role model and easy to root for. Kinda like Dirk.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #62
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Does anyone have a problem with Durant likely having a more successful career than Dirk?
Yes, me.

Young Durant has better teammates
Young Durant has a better coaching staff
Young Durant gets more respect from the refs
Young Durant gets more touches than Dirk
Young Durant plays vs. a worse competition than Dirk
Young Durnat gets more respect/hype from the media

...and it makes me mad, because Dirk could be so much better under similar circumstances.

Talk about multiple championships and better individual stats.

I am butthurt.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #63
LonghornDub

Quote:
Yes, me.

Young Durant has better teammates
Young Durant has a better coaching staff
Young Durant gets more respect from the refs
Young Durant gets more touches than Dirk
Young Durant plays vs. a worse competition than Dirk
Young Durnat gets more respect/hype from the media

...and it makes me mad, because Dirk could be so much better under similar circumstances.

I am butthurt.
I would say that approximately half the items in this list are not only incorrect, but so egregiously incorrect, it seems as though you might be <17 years old and actually don't even know anything about young Dirk's career.

I especially laughed at "better coaching staff." Young Dirk was coached by one of the most savvy and innovative basketball minds of all time.

Last edited by LonghornDub; 06-15-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I especially laughed at "better coaching staff." Young Dirk was coached by one of the most savvy and innovative basketball minds of all time.
"small ball" Nelson (Toine at C)
Nelson Jr.
Avery

Yessir

I am also old enough to remember how Bobby Jackson and Mike Bibby schooled our backcourt...

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #65
LonghornDub

Quote:
Nelson Jr.
Avery

Yessir
My favorite part about this thread so far is that nobody even had to bait you into claiming that Scotty Brooks is a better basketball coach than Don Nelson. You offered it up all on your own. That is too great.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #66
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does anyone have a problem with Durant likely having a more successful career than Dirk? I fully expect that to occur unless there's some type of catastrophic injury.
Apparently, there are people that have a problem with that.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #67
markus1234
Platinum Member

Don Nelson is the most overrated NBA coach of all time.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #68
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Don Nelson didn't chop a year off of Dirk's career with the Toine/Twan season. That was absolutely idiotic. Dirk was coming into his own when Nellie decided to take the ball out of his hands and put it into Walker's. That was beyond stupid.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #69
Underdog

Quote:
Nelson Jr.
Avery

Yessir
Don Nelson - Hall of Famer
Avery Johnson - Coach of the Year, NBA Finals appearance

And you chose to ignore 2011 NBA Championship coach, Rick Carlisle...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #70
Murphy3
Guru

I was one of those guys that would have loved to have seen Dirk with more shot attempts earlier in his career. I think he could have put up 28-30 points a game without seeing lesser results in his efficiency. But it didn't happen.. Just because I would have liked to have seen it doesn't mean that my reasoning was always 100% in the best interest of the team on the floor at times.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #71
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was one of those guys that would have loved to have seen Dirk with more shot attempts earlier in his career. I think he could have put up 28-30 points a game without seeing lesser results in his efficiency. But it didn't happen.. Just because I would have liked to have seen it doesn't mean that my reasoning was always 100% in the best interest of the team on the floor at times.
Just look how Dirk turned back the clock last year. For many people it was his best individual season.

All he needed was Tyson, Rick and co. (solid teammates + solid coach). And sadly for most of Dirk's career it was a rare combination...

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #72
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kevin Durant is likable as both a player and as a person - I'd much rather see the future of the NBA in his hands than in LeBron's... He's a much better role model and easy to root for. Kinda like Dirk.
This. Oklahoma even named a city after him!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #73
LonghornDub

Quote:
Don Nelson is the most overrated NBA coach of all time.
Again, you are claiming that Scotty Brooks is a better NBA coach than Don Nelson. That is just classic.

And, unfortunately, you're one of the many, many clowns over the years around here who have been the exact same way: so hell-bent on sticking up for any perceived slight to Dirk--no matter how small, no matter the source--that they'll make absolutely preposterous claims completely outside the bounds of logic.

You're a re-run, man. Old news. At least CadBane offered a cogent basketball thought from time to time (although he was a complete asshole).

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #74
markus1234
Platinum Member

No i am not a "clown". I simply have the nerves to disagree with you.

And i still do not get it why some of you guys are so sensitive and aggressive about different opinions. It either ends with personal insults or negative reps. Yawn.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #75
Underdog

Quote:
It's not just opinions - you have the nerve to disagree with the objective reality. Like a clown.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #76
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Wow...you guys are harsh over here at Dallas-Mavs.com. I didn't know this was a "prison rules" game you had going.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #77
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Wow...you guys are harsh over here at Dallas-Mavs.com. I didn't know this was a "prison rules" game you had going.
No blood, no foul, yo!
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #78
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Lebron's the better player than KD if you want to listen to the media's hate put down his game and the mythical he's not clutch crap go ahead but you are ignoring greatness, I don't like lebron as a person but I can enjoy watching his game go, he is a great passer, great defender, great scorer (and extremely effecient), he does everything well. KD's terrific but he isn't near the passer or defender Lebron is.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #79
LonghornDub

Quote:

And i still do not get it why some of you guys are so sensitive and aggressive about different opinions. It either ends with personal insults or negative reps. Yawn.
Your opinions here aren't backed by anything other than a wholly misguided desire to defend Dirk from what you see as a slight against his career. They're not rooted in anything rational.

Interspersed with your posts are posts from Murph--a guy I've regularly disagreed with, by the way. According to you, this means I should have insulted him or negrepped him. Yet I haven't. Why? Because although you two have both offered some similar end thoughts, the difference in quality is staggering.

People aren't attacking your opinions, they're attacking your complete failure to lay the foundation for them.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #80
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Lebron's the better player than KD if you want to listen to the media's hate put down his game and the mythical he's not clutch crap go ahead but you are ignoring greatness, I don't like lebron as a person but I can enjoy watching his game go, he is a great passer, great defender, great scorer (and extremely effecient), he does everything well. KD's terrific but he isn't near the passer or defender Lebron is.
I'll reserve judgement until after the Finals... If I had to say right now, I'd go with KD.

Tags
look at me i'm important, markus123no, overcat, underpants