Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #81
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
People aren't attacking your opinions, they're attacking your complete failure to lay the foundation for them.
Foundation ?

We are exchanging opinions, based on personal observations, preferences and experiences. That's all.

Judging Dirk, Durant, Wood, Nelson, and co. is not a "science", it is not "black" or "white". It is all very subjective. And plz learn to accept it.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #82
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Foundation ?

We are exchanging opinions, based on personal observations, preferences and experiences. That's all.

Judging Dirk, Durant, Wood, Nelson, and co. is not a "science", it is not "black" or "white". It is all very subjective. And plz learn to accept it.
Like I said, you are hiding behind a shield of "it's just my opinion." That's fine, but don't complain when you get called out for it.

If I tell you Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino, I don't get to absolve myself from any criticism just by saying, "Ohh, waaah, it's subjective and it's just my opinion!"

Besides, you've already admitted openly where your opinion on this is coming from, and it doesn't lend you any credibility.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #83
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Lebron's the better player than KD if you want to listen to the media's hate put down his game and the mythical he's not clutch crap go ahead but you are ignoring greatness, I don't like lebron as a person but I can enjoy watching his game go, he is a great passer, great defender, great scorer (and extremely effecient), he does everything well. KD's terrific but he isn't near the passer or defender Lebron is.
I wouldn't be pissed if I had to pick second in, who ya got between LeBron and Durant.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #84
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
If I tell you Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino,...
But i am telling THIS

Quote:
Young Durant has better teammates
Young Durant has a better coaching staff
Young Durant gets more respect from the refs
Young Durant gets more touches than Dirk
Young Durant plays vs. a worse competition than Dirk
Young Durnat gets more respect/hype from the media

...and it makes me mad, because Dirk could be so much better under similar circumstances.
And that's NOT "trolling". That's a legit opinion.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #85
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Lebron's the better player than KD if you want to listen to the media's hate put down his game and the mythical he's not clutch crap go ahead but you are ignoring greatness, I don't like lebron as a person but I can enjoy watching his game go, he is a great passer, great defender, great scorer (and extremely effecient), he does everything well. KD's terrific but he isn't near the passer or defender Lebron is.
Agree, if I was picking first, I'd go Lebron. Better all around player than KD is.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #86
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Lebron has better all around skills, but I'm not sure he's the better basketball player. I'm more impressed with what's between Durant's ears compared to Lebron..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #87
markus1234
Platinum Member

One should not really compare Lebron vs. Durant.

Lebron+Wade does not work as well as Durant+Westbrook

and this (combination) is what makes Lebron look worse than Durant in certain situations.

Durant is simply the better "off the ball" player compared to Lebron. But overall Lebron is the better player.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #88
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
One should not compare Lebron vs. Durant.
Durant is simply the better "off the ball" player compared to Lebron. But overall Lebron is the better player.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #89
markus1234
Platinum Member

And this is why I can't take you seriously - you try to provoke and be ignorant constantly.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #90
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And this is why I can't take you seriously - you try to provoke and be ignorant constantly.
Can one "try" to be ignorant constantly? That sounds like a fairly ignorant statement... Were you trying?

And it's not MY fault that you contradicted yourself in the span of a single post - your own stupidity is the only provocateur here.

EDIT: brilliant tags - overcat? underpants? Is your mom looking over your shoulder when you type?

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #91
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But i am telling THIS

And that's NOT "trolling". That's a legit opinion.
I'm not accusing you of trolling. I'm accusing you of having your opinions immensely slanted by this bizarre emotional desire to defend poor old Dirk from illusory criticisms that came from his own mouth.

And who said my football comment was trolling? Trent Dilfer won a super bowl. Dan Marino didn't. Is that a ridiculous argument? Sure. But it's one more quantifiable reason than you have for claiming that Scotty freaking Brooks is a superior coach to a HoFer.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #92
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Can one "try" to be ignorant constantly? That sounds like a fairly ignorant statement... Were you trying?

And it's not MY fault that you contradicted yourself in the span of a single post - your own stupidity is the only provocateur here.
If you were less stupid, than it seems, then you would actually realize that there aren't any contradictions* in my statement.

Expressing ignorance and constantly provoking other people with "off topic*" stuff is pretty boring, Sir.

Last edited by markus1234; 06-15-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #93
Underdog

Quote:
If you were less stupid, than it seems, then you would actually realize that there are any contradictions in my statement.
Yep. Exactly what you just said.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #94
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpj73xhGvmM

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 06-15-2012 at 03:48 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #95
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I think Lebron has better all around skills, but I'm not sure he's the better basketball player. I'm more impressed with what's between Durant's ears compared to Lebron..
Yep, LeBron has been in the league for 5 years longer, but Durant is far more mature... It's hard to get better when you already think you're the best.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #96
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Young Durant has better sneaker technology
Young Durant has the G-series instead of just the crappier Gatorade
Young Durant has HD recordings of game footage to review
Young Durant has more organic and vegan food choices for healthier living
Young Durant has cleaner air to breathe thanks to Al Gore
Young Durant has access to P90X and adjustable Bowflex weights

Progress is an unrelenting whore!

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #97
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post

Not sure, but I THINK this is a parody post, and if so...well, it's one of the best posts I've ever read.

Kudos.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #98
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Prison rules are fun.

I am enjoying this thread immensely. Thanks, guys!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #99
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post

Repped, of course.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #100
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

I haven't been a member here long, but if your signature is devoted to trashing another member of this board, you're a F-ing D-bag. You don't exist to promote/discuss/analyze the Mavericks (the point of this site). There's probably something more to the reason why you have to bag on another member of this site. It also doesn't really help your cause when no one else on this site sides with you. That is about as much time as I will devote to the subject, as I have a life to live and don't really want to waste any more of it acknowledging your existence.

Go Mavs!

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 06-15-2012 at 09:35 PM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #101
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

An argument that isn't about Tyson Chandler! Never thought I'd see the day.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #102
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
An argument that isn't about Tyson Chandler! Never thought I'd see the day.
Just for fun:

Kidd
Terry
Marion
Dirk
Chandler

vs.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Bizarro Chandler (from an alternate universe where he passed his physical with OKC)

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #103
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdoesmydirktaste View Post
I haven't been a member here long, but if your signature is devoted to trashing another member of this board, you're a F-ing D-bag. You don't exist to promote/discuss/analyze the Mavericks (the point of this site). There's probably something more to the reason why you have to bag on another member of this site. It also doesn't really help your cause when no one else on this site sides with you. That is about as much time as I will devote to the subject, as I have a life to live and don't really want to waste any more of it acknowledging your existence.

Go Mavs!
Actually, I can agree with concerning Underdog. Honestly, I don't know who Markus is..but he's on target with UD.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #104
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

(shrugs)

Ok.

Back to Dirk praising Durant
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #105
Underdog

Quote:
Actually, I can agree with concerning Underdog. Honestly, I don't know who Markus is..but he's on target with UD.
How's your blog coming along there, Murph? Have you filled it up with any hot sports opinions yet, or is it still just as empty as everything you post here?

Maybe you could cry about Tyson Chandler some more? Or bitch about the lack of new threads while never creating any of your own? Or maybe you tell another riveting story about how great this site was before everyone who wasn't an original member ruined it?

Yeah, this forum would be lost without your excellent contributions...

Last edited by Underdog; 06-15-2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #106
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Love MMA threads. For what it's worth I don't think much of Nellie or Avery as coaches. I do think the dirkster got shortchanged in that dept. ALso as much as I love cubes i think an argument can be made that he was way too busy imo flipping the team, creating a lot of seasons where the team never was able to develop solid chemistry.

He didn't ( he still may not ) have a very methodical plan in mind.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #107
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
How's your blog coming along there, Murph? Have you filled it up with any hot sports opinions yet, or is it still just as empty as everything you post here?

Maybe you could cry about Tyson Chandler some more? Or bitch about the lack of new threads while never creating any of your own? Or maybe you tell another riveting story about how great this site was before everyone who wasn't an original member ruined it?

Yeah, this forum would be lost without your excellent contributions...
I very rarely talk about Tyson Chandler. Perhaps you're getting me confused with someone else. I don't constantly gripe at the Mavs for the decision. Actually, I've very rarely brought it up. However, I did mention that there's more than enough time right now for people to talk about it now if they so choose even though some would like to move on and talk about something else. It's a discussion forum. It's apparent that some do wish to continue to talk about Chandler...

As for my blog.. well, I started it one day .. a few days later, I found out that a family member was terminally ill.. Between work and taking care of the family member, I didn't have alot of free time. But I appreciate you asking.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #108
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Love MMA threads. For what it's worth I don't think much of Nellie or Avery as coaches. I do think the dirkster got shortchanged in that dept. ALso as much as I love cubes i think an argument can be made that he was way too busy imo flipping the team, creating a lot of seasons where the team never was able to develop solid chemistry.

He didn't ( he still may not ) have a very methodical plan in mind.
I think this is as fair as you get when evaluating the Mavs' last decade.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #109
KillerLeft

So, I'm curious...is this situation going to escalate until a poster suffers the pain of death under the ancient laws of combat, or is it more like when your Uncle and Grandmother have too much wine at Christmas and you think someone's gonna die, only to discover that the entire family wakes up the next morning and simply moves on as if there was no discord?

Last edited by KillerLeft; 06-16-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #110
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I think this is as fair as you get when evaluating the Mavs' last decade.
OK, nice

Quote:
Young Durant has better teammates
Young Durant has a better coaching staff
and how about the rest ?

Quote:
Young Durant gets more respect from the refs --- disagree ?
Young Durant gets more touches than Dirk --- disagree ?
Young Durant plays vs. a worse competition than Dirk --- disagree ?
Young Durnat gets more respect/hype from the media --- disagree ?

...and it makes me mad, because Dirk could be so much better under similar circumstances.
Do not worry guys, Underdog won't bite you. I take the blame

Last edited by markus1234; 06-16-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #111
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

I know things are going towards 11 when bold comes into play.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #112
LonghornDub

I for one think the Mavs should promptly ship out Carlisle for future universe overlord Scotty "Red Auerbach" Brooks.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #113
Murphy3
Guru

Not I. Obviously, I know you're joking..but, Carlisle is far and away the best coach that Dirk has had with the Mavs in my opinion.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #114
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not I. Obviously, I know you're joking..but, Carlisle is far and away the best coach that Dirk has had with the Mavs in my opinion.
No doubt. I really wish the dirkster had a top notch coach for his entire career. I would have loved to have seen what Jackzen or Pops would have done with the dirkster.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #115
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure that Nellie's willingness to allow the seven-footer to hoist threes (at a time when a lot of coaches, Pops perhaps included, would not have) played a large role in Dirk's development as a player.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:21 PM   #116
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I'm pretty sure that Nellie's willingness to allow the seven-footer to hoist threes (at a time when a lot of coaches, Pops perhaps included, would not have) played a large role in Dirk's development as a player.
Let's put Nellie's "generosity" into perspective...

23yo Dirk 1.8-4.6 .397
23yo Durant 2.0-5.2 .387

As we can see, it was nothing unusual. Dirk should have taken even more 3's...(and shots)

Last edited by markus1234; 06-16-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #117
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I disagree completely. Coaches know that a three pointer is worth more than a two pointer. Pops has always shown how creative he is, only an idiot like Avery would take away such a weapon.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #118
KillerLeft

Quote:
That's a fair point. On the other hand, I remember being frustrated at the time because of Nelson's reluctance to try using Dirk as a creator rather than a finisher every once in a while.

It's great that he can shoot 3's and all, but in my opinion there were a lot of good years wasted because Dirk was basically used as a featured floor spacer. He didn't REALLY become a star until Johnson started giving him iso's and running high post plays for him on a the reg. Don't get me wrong - there's a whole list of things I think Johnson did wrong, too, but I think Nelson wanted no part of turning Dirk into the type of player he has become.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #119
LonghornDub

Quote:
Let's put Nellie's "generosity" into perspective...

23yo Dirk 1.8-4.6 .397
23yo Durant 2.0-5.2 .387

As we can see, it was nothing unusual. Dirk should have taken even more 3's...(and shots)
Um, Durant is not a seven footer. He's not even close to a seven footer. This has absolutely nothing to do with chum's point. You know who else shoots more threes than Dirk? Ray Allen. That's as relevant as what you just said.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #120
LonghornDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I disagree completely. Coaches know that a three pointer is worth more than a two pointer. Pops has always shown how creative he is, only an idiot like Avery would take away such a weapon.
I'm not sure what you disagree with, but you didn't refute anything chum said either. Nellie was one of the first (if not the first) guys to allow a seven footer to camp out on the perimeter and rain shots.

I don't know where you get the idea that Popovich (I assume this is "Pops," but I've never heard anybody call him that) is "creative." He's a damn, damn fine coach--possibly the best in the business. Surely a better coach than Nellie overall. But he's very by the book. For 15+ years he's had a team constructed of 5 guys who play their positions in an extremely traditional way. They do it incredibly well, but there's nothing "creative" about Duncan in the low block, Manu and Tony on elbow screens, spacing the floor with shooters, emphasis on corner threes, baseline funneling on defense, etc.

Chum's point was--Dirk's development absolutely had something to do with the untraditional way he was utilized, especially early in his career. If you have a rebuttal to that point, I'd love to hear it, but I don't think it exists.

Tags
look at me i'm important, markus123no, overcat, underpants