Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-05-2023, 10:15 PM   #401
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Kyrie is a more consistent and more efficient Brunson and this board has been nothing but whining about Brunson leaving.

Not sure how you can think Brunson is a fit and Kyrie isn?t.

Btw, Luka gave his thumbs up for this trade
No argument talent wise.
The problem is between the ears.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2023, 10:15 PM   #402
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Brunson and Kyrie are two completely different individuals.
Brunson was the ideal sidekick for Luka, Kyrie is a different animal.
We'll see how the two alphas bond, but I don't see it turning out well.
I don't think it'll be a problem, but I can see Lebron in his ear trying to get him to go to the Lakers this summer. Everything may be fine here and he still may walk.

If him and Luka don't like each other he's going to be gone as soon as he's tradeable after that it's not that big of an issue, either by trade or let him walk.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:16 PM   #403
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Brunson and Kyrie are two completely different individuals.
Brunson was the ideal sidekick for Luka, Kyrie is a different animal.
We'll see how the two alphas bond, but I don't see it turning out well.
Dude won a title with LeBron. A motivated Kyrie is a star, and will compliment Luka incredibly well.

I also don?t think the Mavs are done. Theyre pushing all their chips into the center of the table. Im all for it.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:17 PM   #404
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yea. Unless the outside perspective is, why would I go sign there when:

Brunson left
Wood left
Kyrie left
An excellent point. Nobody said this shit don't come with risks, but we were't going anywhere with Luka and the others.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 PM   #405
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yea. Unless the outside perspective is, why would I go sign there when:

Brunson left
Wood left
Kyrie left
Hopefully ?Kyrie left? holds no significance in player?s minds.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:19 PM   #406
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Dude won a title with LeBron. A motivated Kyrie is a star, and will compliment Luka incredibly well.

I also don?t think the Mavs are done. Theyre pushing all their chips into the center of the table. Im all for it.
They need to be going after a center now.
They really don't have any choice but to go all in now because Kyrie will be a rental...hopefully.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:20 PM   #407
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post

If they cough up a first for Bojan, then I'll sing to the moon.

Old 02-05-2023, 10:35 PM   #408
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

This is short term move but IDGAF because i think if the team can find a solid center at the deadline and a serviceable wing defender this move might just get the Mavs back to the WCF's at minimum.

This team was dead in the water before the trade.

The only thing i don't like is Powell seems to be overvalued still and THJ is so bad that no other teams want him.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:35 PM   #409
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They need to be going after a center now.
They really don't have any choice but to go all in now because Kyrie will be a rental...hopefully.
If we sign and trade Kyrie this summer I'll probably be ok with that as long as we get some worth while player(s) or draft compensation but him walking would be horrible for many reasons.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #410
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Funny reading these other forums like they are gonna get Lavine or Beal etc.

Bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:12 PM   #411
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

What a strange take some people have that the problem with the trade is paging too much.

Minnie traded five FRPs for Gobert. We traded a throw-in from the KP trade, a high-motor undrafted guy we developed, and one FRP for an all star starter

Plenty of reason to not like Kyrie. As a person I hate him almost as much as Harden and Wade, but we got a screaming deal.

Is it the right call? No way to tell. Even someone with Dirk?s amazing personality could fail. Tougher personalities could make it harder, but some really smart people like Nico and yes, Luka, wanted him here and that?s reason enough for me to give it a chance. From a talent perspective, we paid little and got a top-20 player. At least on paper, that?s a steal

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-05-2023 at 11:16 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:32 PM   #412
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
An excellent point. Nobody said this shit don't come with risks, but we were't going anywhere with Luka and the others.
Right. We were going backwards and even us mffls were literally getting sick of watching our team. It depressed me tbh. We may be burning Irving jerseys in the street mid summer like Cav fans did Lebron, but until then, "weeeeeeeeee" lol

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-05-2023 at 11:32 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:01 AM   #413
JustJay

Wednesday night is much watch TV.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:02 AM   #414
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well a large part of it doesn't matter if it fails because Cuban did get Luka another all-star. You can't say he didn't try now. It was just a perfect deal at the perfect time with the right amount of assets type of situation.

Again, how many times will we ever see the Mavs winning a trade for a superstar over the Lakers, Clippers, and Suns?

Gotta live it up because it might never happen again.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:12 AM   #415
JustJay

Old 02-06-2023, 12:21 AM   #416
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

TMac made a good point. It would be a tough sell for Nico and Cuban to look Luka in the eye and say hey we could?ve had a deal for Kyrie but just didn?t think it was worth it, but also trust us in the summer.

For Lukas sake it was the only big swing the Mavs could manage, and from that pov it needed to happen. Gonna miss Dorian, and I hope in some weird way he?s a maverick before the end of his career.

Mavs gotta push the rest of the chips in and get a defensive wing and a center. Would love to have Wood but I don?t see Cuban keeping him unless there?s just no good deals on the market for him.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 AM   #417
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I know all of these offers have been leaked, but I'm not quite sure I buy all of them.

Like, Mavs offering THJ and Wood...I'm sure they discussed every player on the Mavs roster not named Luka. Not saying Cuban will pay for Wood, but dismissing him completely now is a a bit of a stretch. Hell, we badly need him for his rebounding and shot blocking, so unless that comes back in return....

Old 02-06-2023, 12:40 AM   #418
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The supposed offer from Clippers doesn't give them a capable ball handler/ PG. I don't blame the Nets for passing on that offer.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:40 AM   #419
JustJay

Oh look the drama king thinking the world is supposed to revolve around him.

Old 02-06-2023, 12:42 AM   #420
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
TMac made a good point. It would be a tough sell for Nico and Cuban to look Luka in the eye and say hey we could?ve had a deal for Kyrie but just didn?t think it was worth it, but also trust us in the summer.

For Lukas sake it was the only big swing the Mavs could manage, and from that pov it needed to happen. Gonna miss Dorian, and I hope in some weird way he?s a maverick before the end of his career.

Mavs gotta push the rest of the chips in and get a defensive wing and a center. Would love to have Wood but I don?t see Cuban keeping him unless there?s just no good deals on the market for him.
Are You talking about trading Wood, whoever and a 1rnd pick for a Center, per se? Otherwise, how do you push all thr chips in and thrn let Wood loose?

Old 02-06-2023, 01:21 AM   #421
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are You talking about trading Wood, whoever and a 1rnd pick for a Center, per se? Otherwise, how do you push all thr chips in and thrn let Wood loose?
Yeah I think Cuban tries to do what he can to get a center and/or wing defender which may come at the expense of Wood in a deal with the other stuff you mentioned.

Maybe we luck out and just keep Wood til the end of the season with no deal though. We need his size and limited defense and rebounding.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:54 AM   #422
JustJay

Nets may trade Spence?

Old 02-06-2023, 01:56 AM   #423
JustJay

Old 02-06-2023, 01:59 AM   #424
Samurai

Samurai is on a distinguished road

The trades to other teams that I've seen were contingent on Irving signing an extension with them. Dallas traded two starters and a 1st rounder for what probably will be a 2 month rental. Can't see Luka sharing the ball with Irving. And if Irving wouldn't take a back seat to LeBron, why would he submit to Luka?.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:04 AM   #425
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The trades to other teams that I've seen were contingent on Irving signing an extension with them. Dallas traded two starters and a 1st rounder for what probably will be a 2 month rental. Can't see Luka sharing the ball with Irving. And if Irving wouldn't take a back seat to LeBron, why would he submit to Luka?.
Luka shared the ball with Brunson just fine, and people can grow up between 24 years and 30 years old. Most do.

If there's going to be problems with Kyrie it won't be this year IMO. He does not want to screw up a max contract opportunity.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:19 AM   #426
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

He may be a rental, but the gamble is this off-season he can?t get to a destination of his choice without the Mavs cooperation in a sign and trade. Let?s say he?s motivated and balls out, we will likely see better compensation than what we gave up yesterday.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #427
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

If you asked me before the season if I wanted Kyrie I'd say hell no.

After watching this team for the first half of the season and tearing my hair out... Knowing that with the assets we have and what is out there we can't get a 2nd star anytime soon and depending on the role players we might target we may never get a 2nd star, just like with Dirk...

Now I think this risk is well worth it for what we paid. Especially if rumors are true and OG is potentially going to net a package in the neighborhood of 3 1sts from the Knicks. I rly wish we could somehow get OG paired with what we have because it's a super good fit for what we need but I don't see how we can swing it. For what we gave up I am fine with this move.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:34 AM   #428
Amarelooms

Amarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the roughAmarelooms is a jewel in the rough

Can we trade kyrie now if we want? Say to the lakers for those 2 first and whatever young players they got?
Amarelooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:47 AM   #429
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarelooms View Post
Can we trade kyrie now if we want? Say to the lakers for those 2 first and whatever young players they got?
Can be traded before Thursday, but not combined with another player and his trade bonus means we'd need to match like 39mill
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #430
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not crazy about adding a crazy player to the team. But he is a crazy superstar. He won a championship with LeBron, and no one in the NBA plays more like Lebron than Luka, with far less ego. I don't like the rental aspect of it, but nothing I can do about that.

I think Luka will be happy to have someone to pass to who can be totally trusted, both as a scorer and ball handler. It may force teams to stop double teaming him, and very few can handle either Luka or Kyrie, one on one. With Wood as the third option, the offense will be great. Bullock takes Dorian's role and with less pressure to score can concentrate on defending. Green and Hardy get more minutes, and that is a good thing.

That said, I will really miss Dorian...just a great all around person with an inspiring work ethic...but certainly not irreplaceable.

Hopefully, they can make some moves to shore up the defense. if one involves moving THJ, then its a solid trade deadline season.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:00 AM   #431
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Mavs prioritizing their young guys is just weird to see. And finally smart.

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNBA/s...99744781533184

Old 02-06-2023, 10:05 AM   #432
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

So weird seeing so many "smart" journalists saying the hefty price we paid. You can have whatever opinion you want, but that one makes little sense to me.

Dinwiddie was having a good season, but his fit was still not the best starting with Luka. DFS regressed IMO. He was no longer nailing those open threes like he did last season. Defense not the same either.

But more than anything, those two guys wouldn't have ANY value at all without Luka. Proof is in the stats on how bad we are without Luka playing.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #433
minkbarn

minkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to allminkbarn is a name known to all

The Mavs are in for the full Kyrie treatment.

As the old saying goes about boats, the two happiest days are the day you get the boat and the day you get rid of it.

Best of luck on this journey Dallas Mavericks.
minkbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:20 AM   #434
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Did the Nets trade Kyrie Irving to Dallas out of spite? That seems to be the case with NBA insider Marc Stein reporting that one of owner Joe Tsai?s ?presumed objectives? was trading him to a team other than the Lakers, who were seen as his ?preferred destination.? If true, it would signal an almost unprecedented degree of pettiness, with Tsai actively playing defense against Kyrie, denying him the opportunity to reunite with former teammate LeBron James in Los Angeles.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #435
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
He may be a rental, but the gamble is this off-season he can?t get to a destination of his choice without the Mavs cooperation in a sign and trade. Let?s say he?s motivated and balls out, we will likely see better compensation than what we gave up yesterday.
I?m not familiar with the Lakers cap situation, but Westbrook is a FA at the end of the season. With his contract off the books would they have room to sign Kyrie outright to a big deal without a S&T?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:29 AM   #436
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Did the Nets trade Kyrie Irving to Dallas out of spite? That seems to be the case with NBA insider Marc Stein reporting that one of owner Joe Tsai?s ?presumed objectives? was trading him to a team other than the Lakers, who were seen as his ?preferred destination.? If true, it would signal an almost unprecedented degree of pettiness, with Tsai actively playing defense against Kyrie, denying him the opportunity to reunite with former teammate LeBron James in Los Angeles.
One person's treasure is another person's misery.

And that goes for Kyrie being a head case too. We have no chance at all acquiring him without such a head case.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #437
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I?m not familiar with the Lakers cap situation, but Westbrook is a FA at the end of the season. With his contract off the books would they have room to sign Kyrie outright to a big deal without a S&T?
Remember when the Knicks didn't have room to sign Brunson? Teams make the room when they get a commitment from the player.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:31 AM   #438
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

This move reminds me a lot of the KP trade. We take a flyer on a clearly flawed all-star. KP couldn't stay healthy, but we didn't give up much to get him, except some middle to late 1st round picks. Now we have to hope Kyrie can stay sane, and sign an extension.

The difference is that Kyrie is a healthy, proven super-star, in a position to relieve the pressure off Luka, both in scoring and ball handling. At the end of games when we need a bucket, no more throwing 3 defenders at Luka and daring anyone else to score.

So we solved a problem, at least until the season ends. If we can add a decent big now, we could be in position to make a run.

We could also, by summer, end up with a steaming pile of nothing. At least they rolled the dice. You can't win if you don't try.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:40 AM   #439
G-Man
Platinum Member

The worst case scenario is Rondo. You get a whacky point guard who might fit, but chose not to, and you sacrifice a bunch of picks to rent him, then you lose him for nothing. I would have preferred Lavine, but if Kyrie wants to be here, he could be great. That is a huge "if". Rondo is what happens "if" he doesn't plan to stay.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:47 AM   #440
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
This move reminds me a lot of the KP trade. We take a flyer on a clearly flawed all-star. KP couldn't stay healthy, but we didn't give up much to get him, except some middle to late 1st round picks. Now we have to hope Kyrie can stay sane, and sign an extension.

The difference is that Kyrie is a healthy, proven super-star, in a position to relieve the pressure off Luka, both in scoring and ball handling. At the end of games when we need a bucket, no more throwing 3 defenders at Luka and daring anyone else to score.

So we solved a problem, at least until the season ends. If we can add a decent big now, we could be in position to make a run.

We could also, by summer, end up with a steaming pile of nothing. At least they rolled the dice. You can't win if you don't try.
Yes, the Mavs will no longer be dealing with double teams when both of those players are on the floor.

And to that end, Wood makes so much more sense now that it boggles the mind he is still coming up in trade rumors. Like, you're really not gonna pay him now? It makes so much more sense to do that now versus before yesterday (and it still made sense then).

If Wood doesn't return us a 10+ rebounding defensive center, then you don't do it.

And for the steaming pile thing...that's exactly what the Mavs were without Luka anyway. So it's not like we aren't used to it.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we all agree there is at least a 50% chance Kyrie goes nutso on us. If only superstars grew on trees...