Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-07-2023, 12:34 AM   #521
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
I like DFS but he's an average player, Spencer is above average but he's not Kyrie, the first round pick is not until 2029. This was a no-brainer trade, even with Kyrie's baggage.
DFS is NOT an average player...someone every team in the league would like to have. Not going to wow with stats, that's true, but he's a very solid player, definitely above average. Mavs are going to miss him...who guards other team's best player now? That was always DFS.

Not saying it wasn't a good trade, but everyone constantly undervalued our players. There is a reason the Mavs really struggled when they were injured...if DFS were 'average' he'd have been easy to replace; same with Kleber, etc.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2023, 12:35 AM   #522
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Btw

Kyrie is first in the league in 4th quarter scoring where he shoots 50% from the field and 90% from FT

Luka is 18th and shoots 48% and 69% from FT
That will come in very handy! Especially the FT's.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:44 AM   #523
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Depending on the opponent, we can pull off occasional 3 guard lineups Luka-Kyrie-Jalen.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 01:57 AM   #524
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Depending on the opponent, we can pull off occasional 3 guard lineups Luka-Kyrie-Jalen.

Found this on MMB and this is a big issue after trading DFS especially if they run into the Clippers 1st round

MMB
Tim Hardaway Jr. and Christian Wood are poor fits with the Mavericks' new backcourt. Both are offense-first players, but that is the last thing Dallas needs with Doncic and Irving averaging over 60 points per game combined. The Mavs need 3-and-D wings, an upgrade at the five, and a third playmaker. Without those pieces, Dallas barely raised their chances of escaping the first round of the playoffs, despite having two of the ten All-Star starters on their roster.

The trade market lacks sellers, so finding those missing pieces will be tough and costly. Counting on internal growth from Josh Green and improved play out of Reggie Bullock could cover their 3-and-D needs, but it would force both players to push near 40 minutes a night in the postseason. They will be worn out by the conference finals leaving Dallas one option short.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:03 AM   #525
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Also on 105.3 Brian Scalabrine stated he believes Dallas should trade Wood in order to get a wing defender.

Right now we don't have the same pieces we had last year that matched up with Mitchell, Booker and Wiggins.

JJ Reddick also voiced his concerns with the lack of defensive wings on his podcast.

I think he mentioned guys like Roco and Thybuile could be sneaky good pickups
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:13 AM   #526
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Found this on MMB and this is a big issue after trading DFS especially if they run into the Clippers 1st round

MMB
Tim Hardaway Jr. and Christian Wood are poor fits with the Mavericks' new backcourt. Both are offense-first players, but that is the last thing Dallas needs with Doncic and Irving averaging over 60 points per game combined. The Mavs need 3-and-D wings, an upgrade at the five, and a third playmaker. Without those pieces, Dallas barely raised their chances of escaping the first round of the playoffs, despite having two of the ten All-Star starters on their roster.

The trade market lacks sellers, so finding those missing pieces will be tough and costly. Counting on internal growth from Josh Green and improved play out of Reggie Bullock could cover their 3-and-D needs, but it would force both players to push near 40 minutes a night in the postseason. They will be worn out by the conference finals leaving Dallas one option short.
Is Maxi coming back? That would help. But yes that's my biggest worry is defense.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:09 AM   #527
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

MMB

I'd like to move Wood because I just don't think there won't be a team that isn't willing to throw significant money at him in free agency and we lose another free agent for nothing. But if the right trade isn't there then it can't be helped, and I'm personally less concerned with his fit with regards to the comments above then I am THJ. I'm literally praying we move THJ for just about anything if nothing else to open up some shots for others.

Is Crowder a candidate for a buyout? Not sure a team trades for him and instead looks to get him as a buyout option if that's likely or not I don't know.

Also another aside- Did anyone watch the Cuban interview today? Maybe it's just me but he didn't exactly sound like someone who was for sure making more moves. He said something to the effect of "we are always looking to improve the team but the Kyrie move wasn't a small one". Almost sounded like he was saying "sure we could but we like what we did and are fine if that's all". Cuban isn't one to hold back his words and if they felt they needed to make another move I think his wording would have been different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8Kh51kxvA 1:25 is the question I'm referring to- about further moves.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #528
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Tmac- Lakers discussing deal with Jazz 2027 and 2029 firsts plus WB for Mike Conley and Malik Beasley.

I mean, if they want to give up two firsts for that, then I feel a lot better about what we gave up for Kyrie. .

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 AM   #529
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the Cuban interview. I didn't get the feeling that he wouldn't make a move that helps us. He might feel like with what he has done, he has room to be a little more picky about deals that aren't in our favor or will clearly make us better. I think some of the fluff he says is more about the fact that the players are human and he is around them a lot so he doesn't want everyone else on pins and needles.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:55 AM   #530
JustJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Tmac- Lakers discussing deal with Jazz 2027 and 2029 firsts plus WB for Mike Conley and Malik Beasley.

I mean, if they want to give up two firsts for that, then I feel a lot better about what we gave up for Kyrie. .
I heard Jennie Buss didn't want to go all in for Kyrie with unprotected draft picks in the future that would effect the team after Lebron retired. If that's true then I don't believe this is true. But who knows.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #531
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Weird that the Lakers are willing to offer their 2 first rounds picks just to get rid of WB considering he is a FA this summer.

I don?t know why the Jazz wouldn?t jump on that deal. They aren?t going to win it all anytime soon. Stack all those first round picks you can get.

Last edited by BPo001; 02-07-2023 at 10:09 AM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:51 AM   #532
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Wood to Clips

Batum & Poetl to Mavs

Hardy, filler, pick from Mavs, pick from Clips to Spurs

who says no?
Mavs after last night's masterpiece.

Plus I have never really like Batum's game and even if not, he's toast at this point in his career. I'm not giving up both a 1st rounder AND Hardy unless it's for a legitimate wing.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:52 AM   #533
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
I know people always have delusions about their own team getting a great player but I saw a Celtic fan on twitter saying he didn't want to trade Jaylen Brown for KD but he wanted to hold out until Kyrie/Luka explode and get Luka for him. I just shook my head and chuckled. Even Tatum wouldn't get it done.
Shiiiit I probably turn them down if it's Brown + Tatum for Luka. They'd have to include a good amount of picks to get me interested in trading a guy who is on track for a top 5 ever career.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:37 AM   #534
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Shams Charania: The Miami Heat are trading center Dewayne Dedmon and a second-round pick to the San Antonio Spurs, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium . ? via Twitter ShamsCharania
Old 02-07-2023, 11:39 AM   #535
BPo001
Diamond Member

Some of that financial maneuvering could happen before Thursday?s trade deadline. The Mavs have been shopping shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., who is owed $34 million over the two remaining years on his contract, since last season, sources told ESPN. That is expected to continue leading up to the deadline, as second-year general manager Nico Harrison hopes to upgrade a 24th-ranked defense that took a significant hit with Finney-Smith?s departure. ? via Brian Windhorst @ ESPN
Old 02-07-2023, 11:43 AM   #536
JustJay

Unless we're throwing in a first rounder, I predict THJ will still be a Mav after Thursday. Would love to be wrong.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:54 AM   #537
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Some of that financial maneuvering could happen before Thursday?s trade deadline. The Mavs have been shopping shooting guard Tim Hardaway Jr., who is owed $34 million over the two remaining years on his contract, since last season, sources told ESPN. That is expected to continue leading up to the deadline, as second-year general manager Nico Harrison hopes to upgrade a 24th-ranked defense that took a significant hit with Finney-Smith?s departure. ? via Brian Windhorst @ ESPN
Yes please. If this happens, then you could actually run Luka/Kyrie/Hardy like they did with Luka/Brunson/Dinwiddie.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:37 PM   #538
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Unless we're throwing in a first rounder, I predict THJ will still be a Mav after Thursday. Would love to be wrong.
I think this is the sad truth.

Lots of talk that the Mavs tried to dump THJ but the Nets viewed him as a negative asset. In other words, we may have to pay teams to get rid of him. For a team that is asset-poor, I think we may be stuck with him.

If it's between trading a FRP for a PF/C and using that FRP to get a team to take THJ, I would take talent.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:41 PM   #539
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

ESPN: Mavs are actively shopping THJ, Wood, and McGee

Mavs upgraded talent.
Mavs know who the weak points on the roster are

Now we have 48 hours to see if they get what they need (starting center, PF, backup PG)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-07-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:44 PM   #540
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I love the aggressiveness. It will be tough shedding THJ however.

Looks like Dwight Powell is destined to be a Mav forever.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:52 PM   #541
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
ESPN: Mavs are actively shopping THJ, Wood, and McGee

Mavs upgraded talent.
Mavs know who the weak points on the roster are

Now we have 48 hours to see if they get what they need (starting center, PF, backup PG)
Assuming this is true we can?t fault them for trying. THJ contract decreases yearly, so there is a small glimmer of hope that someone wants him. Hopefully the can move McGee for someone more useful.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:01 PM   #542
saclare
Platinum Member

RE: Jarred Vanderbilt

https://fansided.com/2023/02/06/nba-...t-move-likely/

If all it might take is a couple of 2nd rounders, let's get it going. Basically DFS with better rebounding.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:11 PM   #543
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post

If all it might take is a couple of 2nd rounders, let's get it going. Basically DFS with better rebounding.
Yes.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:12 PM   #544
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

We need a center though if we're going to trade Wood. Maybe Plumlee's price will come down at the deadline.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:04 PM   #545
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post

Not sure how he?s basically DFS. Vanderbilt can?t shoot for shit from 3.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:25 PM   #546
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
I'd like to move Wood because I just don't think there won't be a team that isn't willing to throw significant money at him in free agency and we lose another free agent for nothing.
I tend to agree with you, but that's not what everyone is saying. They don't think he'll have a huge market in FA. Were talking maybe 2 years for $32M if Mavs offered he'd probably take it.

He's a good player, but is he what the Mavs need now? Would need to see improvement in rim protection/rebounding. Which he has shown, but will it keep up?

Woods isn't the problem contract they need to get rid of though. That's THJ and Bertans. But everyone knows they are problem contracts...no idea what they could get for them. Be like the KP trade if KP didn't really have any upside, or in Bertans case, value to start with (HITF did he ever get the contract he did?)
Nico....do your magic!
Old 02-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #547
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
I love the aggressiveness. It will be tough shedding THJ however.
His isn't even the real problem contract...that's Bertans.

Quote:
Looks like Dwight Powell is destined to be a Mav forever.
I'm ok with that. He is a better player than most give him credit for. Everyone looks at what he doesn't do, and not at what he does. If Powell is the bad contract we need to eliminate, Mavs just won a championship (ie, if he's our worst player, we're damn good).
Old 02-07-2023, 02:41 PM   #548
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Not sure how he?s basically DFS. Vanderbilt can?t shoot for shit from 3.
Ok, fine. Vanderbilt will provide plenty of what DFS did minus some 3-point shooting and plus more rebounding than shooting given up.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:52 PM   #549
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
His isn't even the real problem contract...that's Bertans.
According to Spotrac, the last year of Bertans contract is only guaranteed at $5M. I was surprised given all the talk about it being the worst or one of the worst contracts in the NBA. Still too high given his paltry contributions, but not as bad as advertised.

Last edited by purplefrog; 02-07-2023 at 02:54 PM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:58 PM   #550
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I dunno who the f this guy is, but apparently Mavs are interesting in Ayton. Can't see it happening before the deadline though.

https://twitter.com/LouallenDoc/stat...45120890220544

Old 02-07-2023, 03:05 PM   #551
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I dunno who the f this guy is, but apparently Mavs are interesting in Ayton. Can't see it happening before the deadline though.

If Mavs pull off Ayton, its over. Phoenix should close up shop if that happens.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:14 PM   #552
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
If Mavs pull off Ayton, its over. Phoenix should close up shop if that happens.
Actually, I think Wood is better and they get THJ. If we cough up a first or two, then it's not like some huge steal. Just don't see that type of big move before the deadline, but then again, I didn't think Kyrie was realistic either.

Old 02-07-2023, 03:17 PM   #553
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

But for funsees....Wood/THJ/Bullock works for Ayton/Crowder..

Old 02-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #554
JustJay

Old 02-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #555
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:

Didn?t McMahon come out recently and says Mavs were interested in Ayton down the line or something? I?d love if we could grab him from PHX.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:29 PM   #556
JustJay

Quote:

He predicted Kyrie to Dallas before it happened, but could have just been a correct guess.

Last edited by JustJay; 02-07-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:30 PM   #557
BPo001
Diamond Member

Jeff McDonald: Couple of relevant details: Spurs are receiving a 2028 second-round pick from Miami, sending the Heat cash considerations. Spurs are not expected to keep Dewayne Dedmon on the roster. ? via Twitter JMcDonald_SAEN
Old 02-07-2023, 03:55 PM   #558
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Jeff McDonald: Couple of relevant details: Spurs are receiving a 2028 second-round pick from Miami, sending the Heat cash considerations. Spurs are not expected to keep Dewayne Dedmon on the roster. ? via Twitter JMcDonald_SAEN
Does that mean Poeltl is available?
Old 02-07-2023, 04:02 PM   #559
JustJay

Old 02-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #560
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Does that mean Poeltl is available?
Sounds like Dedmon will be available?