Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-05-2023, 04:42 PM   #561
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobay View Post
powell went to contest booker's shot so can't fault him
THJ on durant... that's our best option? ffs... and the early double doesn't do $hit you gotta get the ball out of his hands
MMB on Powell boxing out

I?ve been hard on Wood, but I actually thought he deserved to close the game today. Powell committed a really dumb foul on Ayton and failed to box him out twice, leading to crucial second chance points for Phoenix down the stretch. It would have been nice to have the superior rebounder and offensive threat out there to close things out.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #562
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

The Suns role players being left wide open at the end of the 3rd/ beginning of the 4th was the difference in the game hands down.
Old 03-05-2023, 07:23 PM   #563
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka is so garbage on defense. He just doesnt care enough. He will never play it that well even if hes super fit but if he just seemed to give a shit, it woukd be nice. This strategy we roll out to double superstars never works because guys like wainwright drains back to back 3s, or name any 8th guy on any team. Luka half ass helping while leaving random scrub WIDE open is pathetic. That's THJS job.

Bullock is a sacrifice to every teams best wing and its unfortunate because he THINKS he can move his feet and stay in front but he has proven time and time again that he can't. His length is the only semi redeeming quality about throwing him to the wolves defensively. That and we don't have anyone else.

The fact that this team is fine with DP as our big it's just mind blowing. Nico and FO have fvcked that up bad.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-05-2023 at 07:25 PM.
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:30 PM   #564
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Kyrie likes Kidd. I think Kidd has at minimum 2 more seasons unfortunately.
1. Kyrie isn't going to be here long term.
2. That shit wears out when you make terrible coaching decisions every game. Every single game.
3. Kyrie isn't going to come to a brand new team and say "oh I'd love to stay, but the coach needs to go."

Old 03-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #565
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
MMB

Dallas built an eight-point lead but an 11-2 run to close the quarter, featuring three straight threes from open role players ignored by Luka Doncic, let Phoenix take a 96-95 lead into the final period.

Does anyone really need MMB to tell us thr most obvious major factor of the game?

Old 03-05-2023, 08:10 PM   #566
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I still defend Luka because he was run to death early on having to fight for the team's life against shit teams like Houston. He literally carried the team for months.

He will be out of excuses next season. But this year, it's all on Kidd and the FO.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #567
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Luka is so garbage on defense. He just doesnt care enough. He will never play it that well even if hes super fit but if he just seemed to give a shit, it woukd be nice. This strategy we roll out to double superstars never works because guys like wainwright drains back to back 3s, or name any 8th guy on any team. Luka half ass helping while leaving random scrub WIDE open is pathetic. That's THJS job.

Bullock is a sacrifice to every teams best wing and its unfortunate because he THINKS he can move his feet and stay in front but he has proven time and time again that he can't. His length is the only semi redeeming quality about throwing him to the wolves defensively. That and we don't have anyone else.

The fact that this team is fine with DP as our big it's just mind blowing. Nico and FO have fvcked that up bad.
In just about every close game down the stretch Powell has allowed critical offensive rebounds for 2nd chance points.

You would think the mavs would refuse to play him in those situations but apparently between Rick and Kidd neither one of them have had the balls to say enough is enough doing Powell's career here

This dude should literally just be energy player off the bench but somehow he's a life time starter with Dallas
Old 03-05-2023, 08:30 PM   #568
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I still defend Luka because he was run to death early on having to fight for the team's life against shit teams like Houston. He literally carried the team for months.

He will be out of excuses next season. But this year, it's all on Kidd and the FO.
I give him no pass. You either show up in the best shape you can get it to endure the season, or you don't. You get help on offense finally and use the extra energy to help out on defense now, or you dont. You scream and cry about every single disagreement regarding fouls and get techs, or you don't.

It's beyond time for him to man up, shut up and D up. Be a fn leader. He's far from a leader right now. Seeing him yell at anyone about a defensive assignment is becoming as annoying as watching him rant his way to techs about fouls.

He's not going to magically just come back next season as a give a shit on defense guy. So I'm personally not going to wait to hold it against him next season. Make a decision to improve these things quarter by quarter, thrn game to game.. incrementally until that's just what you do.

It's annoying that I've gone from loving Luka and he can do no wrong, to, this dude is a petulant kid that needs to figure out how to be a professional and a leader.

All that said, It looks like a harsh take, but it's just the truth. But I still have 1 realistic hope for this season. Luka win the scoring title.

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-05-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 09:02 PM   #569
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree with you, but there was no way he wasn't going to be run down after paying in the summer and having to carry the team. Even if he came into season in tip top shape...wouldn't have mattered as the season progressed with that load on his shoulders.

He actually isn't a bad defender when the effort is there, but again, nagging injuries, out of shape, run to death, paying this summer. All adds up.

Old 03-05-2023, 11:01 PM   #570
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

2-6 doesn?t feel good
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 11:04 PM   #571
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
MMB on Powell boxing out

I?ve been hard on Wood, but I actually thought he deserved to close the game today. Powell committed a really dumb foul on Ayton and failed to box him out twice, leading to crucial second chance points for Phoenix down the stretch. It would have been nice to have the superior rebounder and offensive threat out there to close things out.
https://youtu.be/qqlS21vyOCM?t=515
(8:35 mark)

this is the play i was referencing - Bpo001 also was referencing this one i believe.

THJ gets blown by and Powell comes over to challenge. I mean you can argue that he should just leave THJ alone and focus on boxing out but can't fault him for rotating.

i'm not by any means saying powell does a great job rebounding or anything but this is not the play i'm looking at to make my case.
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:04 AM   #572
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'll say it again...we'd be a championship team or at the very least a lot better if they hadn't screwed Wood. I've never seen a player more unfairly mistreated in all of my mavdom. He sets weak picks, can be lazy on defense, sometimes plays "Me" ball...and is still 10000000 times better than Dwight Powell.

NBA isn't a charity, and I feel like they treat Powell like a charity case.

But this is all shouting at the wall. Wanting Kidd gone, Cuban to sell, or Powell not to play. None of them will happen.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-06-2023 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 02:08 AM   #573
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Mavs biggest problem was not fully addressing our FC situation last off season. Thinking and paying McGee to be anything other than what he is was a huge mistake that we are currently paying for.

If McGee couldn't get any PT in this game he has 0 value and signing him to that ridiculous contract was really stupid.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 09:07 AM   #574
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think the Mavs biggest problem was not fully addressing our FC situation last off season. Thinking and paying McGee to be anything other than what he is was a huge mistake that we are currently paying for.

If McGee couldn't get any PT in this game he has 0 value and signing him to that ridiculous contract was really stupid.
It's embarrassing. We realize we need center help after the POs last season, and appear desperate to upgrade. However, the best we can do is promise McGee a starting spot. They fulfill that early on at the cost of Wood coming off the bench. DP was apparently so incredible in practice that we yanked McGee for Powell. At that point having an actual big man was completely abandoned regardless of the facts. Rim protection, paint defense, rebounding all peaced out.

This became a circus thr very second FO said the words "Wood off the bench", and "people foeget about Frank"... as well as guaranteeing McGee a starting role to even dawn a Mav jersey. I never bought in for one second. Along the way Kidd lost Wood and managed to bench Green for a buyout guy long enough to lose the hot streak of confidence in Josh. Kudos. Fvck face FO. Kudos.

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-06-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:27 AM   #575
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Its so baffling that McGee doesn?t get any playing time. My guess is Kidd is a guard and his coaching is ?guard? heavy. He just doesn?t know how to coach bigs.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:07 AM   #576
R28J

R28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the roughR28J is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
Its so baffling that McGee doesn?t get any playing time. My guess is Kidd is a guard and his coaching is ?guard? heavy. He just doesn?t know how to coach bigs.
That's it - the best explanation I have heard about Kidds coaching ability. Kidd, one of the best point guards to ever play the game can only see the game from a guards POV. He has no clue how to coach wings and bigs.

Nice call Simon2.

Last edited by R28J; 03-06-2023 at 11:09 AM.
R28J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #577
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Really over the players being coaches just a few years out of the nba. The inherited knowledge rarely translates.

2-6 last 8
five of last six losses were decided in the last 10 seconds or OT
in that 6 game span, 3rd best offense, 30th ranked defense

3-21 when allowing 119+ points per 100 possessions. Spurs rank 30th over the whole season allowing 119.6.

Mavs are 30-11 in all other games.

From bobby Karalla on twitter btw.

Literally a slightly better functioning defense is all we need.

Last edited by Melonhead; 03-06-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #578
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree. Not getting a big is really killing us. If we incrementally improve our switching defense (so Powell doesn't continue to get abused by guards) and our rebounding, the sky would be the limit. As it stands we will need to execute this offseason to become contenders.

Edit: Other than Kyrie, I really like Naz Reid as a target for us this offseason. He'll warrant more than we can give, but who knows?

Last edited by tap2390; 03-06-2023 at 12:21 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 01:03 PM   #579
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think 2/3 defenders are easy to come by. Green is good. Holiday was had for nothing.

The reason our defense is so bad is
1) We have no defensive anchor (center)
2) Kidd is an @#@% and no one is working as a team to defend

We can fix #1 by just getting a starting center. Then again, the FA list sucks. Vuc is awesome, but he's not a defensive guy. I wanted Poeltl who can do both, but he wanted to go to Toronto and he will almost definitely sign there. We couldn't afford him anyway without letting a lot of guys (maybe Kyrie) walk.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/center/
Old 03-06-2023, 01:13 PM   #580
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Powell can't rebound or play defense.

McGee is on the deep deep bench.

Wood is lost on defense.

Kleber is not healthy.

It seems to me the only option, Kidd has not yet tried is Markief Morris. The dude is 6'9" and 245 lbs. And he has a mean streak. He has a decent 3pt shot and decent handles. He adds physicality which might spark the rest of the team to play more energetic defense. Given your options, why not? Not really a rim protector, but his physicality might make the opposition think twice before driving to the basket. Decent rebounder. Could play the 4 or 5 and you might be able to pair him with Wood. Their individual skill sets might complement each other.

Kyrie
Luka
Green
Morris
Wood

Last edited by purplefrog; 03-06-2023 at 01:16 PM.
purplefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 02:18 PM   #581
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2 View Post
I appreciate outside the box thinking and theories like these. It's entertaining for me personally.

However, Kidd was around for so long and had success at the highest level and over came a lot in order to finally win a championship.

I'd counter with, being a guard who is also very much a floor general. He directs bigs in Tyson Chandler and Dirk who are very different style of players and managed to anchor the defense out front and know where to direct others on offense and defense as well. I can't buy into the idea that he is just so lost with how to use a big man simply because he was a guard. He was one of the best PGs ever and in order to even sniff that level, you have to know how every position works and you have to understand it in depth in order to be successful especially when you change teams and philosophies like he did numerous times.

I'm not even about to make excuses for his short comings. If I'm trying to pin point why we ended up with DP as a starter it's because DP hustles 100% of the time and is where he is supposed to be WAY more than any other big. He keeps going to the well because he can count on DP not bogging down the offense by being out of position or taking bad shots. Hell he doesn't even take shots and Kidd can rely on that too. Short story is there is no one better in his opinion at what he wants to do, which also leads to the core of why we are where we are.

Kidd isn't the guy to eat mistakes and own blame. RC used to make a meal out of tactical errors and players who "weren't prepared or didnt execute plays etc" by saying " I didn't have them prepared" or whatever phrase he chose at the time. Kidd isn't going to make big changes because something isn't working. His ego and pride are hurdles that he can't overcome in that regard.

He isn't the brightest strategist and chess isn't his game. Now on the floor playing, he could play speed chess because he is still relying on his own abilities physically and things are happening in the moment and he is good utilizing his instincts. That's why there's a difference between floor general and leader/coach on the floor and being an actual head coach. He's not yet a good people manager, a strategist or deep critical thinker at the NBA coaching level.

He may possibly end up being a good head coach one day but he is on his way to making such a bad name for himself that if he doesn't right the ship, it could be a long time before he gets another opportunity.

This build isn't a contender so you add that to a coach who day 1 offseason started out thinking himself, you have this team that performs terribly in the clutch and a team that is just drifting out at sea. Luka, and (temporarily) Kyrie are at the back of the ship blowing to get us going in the right directions but there is no real experienced captain to get us on course and the ship is a cheap refurbished pos that barely stays afloat

Old 03-06-2023, 02:27 PM   #582
SMC0007
Guru

Also, If you think about what we did in the offseason. Lost JB...got Wood and McGee. This MF decides to not use Wood which gave him a built in excuse as to why he isn't winning at the rate we did last season. "Look, I'm using who you gave me and it's not working, I'm trying". But instead of even tryinf it, day 1 he says " We are starting Mc Gee and Wood is coming off the bench, thans FO but suck it, I got this!! Also gives us the famous line of "PEOPLE FORGET ABOUT FRANK" which had to be discussed with Cuban and Nico because they all said the same bulsh. It would have been much better if they had said " Look people, yall can forget about Frank...because he ain't shit and isn't going to even come close to remotely running a team, much less fill JBs shoes....so don't even ask. "

To make his line of thinking even more confusing we get Green to a point where his confidence is high, he's actually running the team in the absence of Luka, to the point where many Mavs fans even thought, hmm, Luka needs to play off ball more and get some breaks. Then FO gifts Kidd with a special weapon in Justin Holiday! Kidd immediately looks into the barrel and pulls the trigger blowing his own fn face off. Green essentially comes crashing back down to earth. Not that Kidd took his ability away all the sudden but thats the kind of decisions that can cause those effects and an in-experienced jackass coach doesn't see it coming. Checkers

Last edited by SMC0007; 03-06-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 03:10 PM   #583
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Powell can't rebound or play defense.

McGee is on the deep deep bench.

Wood is lost on defense.

Kleber is not healthy.

It seems to me the only option, Kidd has not yet tried is Markief Morris. The dude is 6'9" and 245 lbs. And he has a mean streak. He has a decent 3pt shot and decent handles. He adds physicality which might spark the rest of the team to play more energetic defense. Given your options, why not? Not really a rim protector, but his physicality might make the opposition think twice before driving to the basket. Decent rebounder. Could play the 4 or 5 and you might be able to pair him with Wood. Their individual skill sets might complement each other.

Kyrie
Luka
Green
Morris
Wood
Wow, I forgot all about Morris' cameo yesterday. I was a little surprised to see him up off the bench so early. He came in a knocked down a 3 and grabbed a couple of boards and then we didn't see him the rest of the game. Another rotational conundrum...would love to see more of Morris.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 03:20 PM   #584
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

One defensive big isn't going to save the defense though. We're literally last in the league in the last 8 games.

Guys have to buy into a philosophy that Kidd obviously can't get through.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:55 PM   #585
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

You'd be surprised.

Without Lopez, the 1st ranked defense (Cavs) became 26th in the league.

Centers are important and were made even more important with rule changes preventing primary defenders from being able to contain their man. Only a good rotational big, playing secondary defense can allow anyone in the NBA to defend right now.

Every single one of the top 10 defenses has a quality rotating big.
Cavs (Lopez, Allen), Bucks (Lopez, Giannis), Grizz (Jackson, Adams), Celtics (Williams, Hortford, Tatum), Heat (Bam), Suns (Ayton), etc.
Old 03-06-2023, 05:15 PM   #586
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a low probability that playing Morris 15-20 minutes would make a significant improvement in the Mavs defense. I think it is an even lower probability (that being close to zero) that if they keep the status quo the defense will improve one iota. If you are not going to play McGee and if Kleber is still recovering, then you have got to try something new. Moreover, playing Green, Bullock, or Holiday at the 4 is a Hail Mary. Especially, when you have substandard options at the 5. Something has gotta give or else they might just as well pack it up. I still think a good coach would figure out how play the 4-5 positions by committee. But unfortunately......
Old 03-06-2023, 08:58 PM   #587
liqwidhalo

liqwidhalo has a spectacular aura aboutliqwidhalo has a spectacular aura about

Take a flier on Faried already. Ben Wallace won a title and he was a 6'7" center for the Pistons. Luka is similar to Billups (a scoring point guard), Faried is similar to Ben Wallace (undersized center), Kyrie is similar to Hamilton (can move around screens and shoot the ball), Wood is similar to Rasheed Wallace (has a post up game and can hit jumpers), we got similarities to that team if we keep adding the right pieces.

Last edited by liqwidhalo; 03-06-2023 at 09:02 PM.
liqwidhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:59 PM   #588
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqwidhalo View Post
Take a flier on Faried already. Ben Wallace won a title and he was a 6'7" center for the Pistons. Luka is similar to Billups (a scoring point guard), Faried is similar to Ben Wallace (undersized center), Kyrie is similar to Hamilton (can move around screens and shoot the ball), Wood is similar to Rasheed Wallace (has a post up game and can hit jumpers), we got similarities to that team if we keep adding the right pieces.
I?ll have some of what you?re having.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:22 AM   #589
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by liqwidhalo View Post
Being an all-world rebounder does not equate to being an all-world defender and enforcer, which is what Wallace was to that team.

Him and Sheed completely shit on Faried and Wood. I like the idea, but we have to be realistic lol
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 03:20 PM   #590
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
Being an all-world rebounder does not equate to being an all-world defender and enforcer, which is what Wallace was to that team.

Him and Sheed completely shit on Faried and Wood. I like the idea, but we have to be realistic lol
I agree with you about the difference in talent and ability. But we are desperate. Lol. I guarantee we wouldn't be worse.

Old 03-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #591
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
One defensive big isn't going to save the defense though. We're literally last in the league in the last 8 games.

Guys have to buy into a philosophy that Kidd obviously can't get through.

Someone who could just provide rim protection would improve this team a lot

They?re the fourth-worst defense by rating since the All-Star break, giving up 121.9 points per 100 possessions. They?re letting opponents shoot 72 percent at the rim and 53 percent from five to nine feet over their last 10 games. Right now, I am not convinced that the Mavericks would be much worse on defense if they stayed back on their offensive end.

Last edited by Dallas41; 03-07-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #592
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Can't believe at this stage of the season the Knicks and kings both have better records than our mavs
Old 03-07-2023, 08:36 PM   #593
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see any reason why mavs didnt just trade for two defensive beasts at center and wing to supplement the Kyrie trade.
Kyrie, Luka, Wood and two above average defenders is instantly legit contender material.

They accomplished the difficult part and completely F...ed up the easy part. Still scratching my head over that stupidity.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-07-2023 at 08:38 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:52 PM   #594
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Jazz playing their tanking lineup and we're still losing
Old 03-07-2023, 09:15 PM   #595
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Both Bullock and THJ are injured
Old 03-07-2023, 09:17 PM   #596
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

THEIR COACH LITERALLY INJURED OUR PLAYER

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 03-07-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:19 PM   #597
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
THEIR COACH LITERALLY INJURED OUR PLAYER
dallas-mavs.com put out a hit on THJ and hired jazz coach to do it stealth mode
Old 03-07-2023, 09:20 PM   #598
Scoobay
Golden Member

THT playing football out there
Old 03-07-2023, 09:24 PM   #599
Scoobay
Golden Member

please take holiday out and don't have him handle the ball
Old 03-07-2023, 09:34 PM   #600
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Mavs fucking suck