Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #121
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Any updates on the iBook?
Still waiting to hear back from my guy on it. Communication is a little more difficult now that the playoffs are going.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #122
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

BG, I will purchase it as soon as it becomes available for the Kindle. And I can't wait.....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #123
LetsGoMavs
Diamond Member

LetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant futureLetsGoMavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
BG, I will purchase it as soon as it becomes available for the Kindle. And I can't wait.....
I second that!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #124
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the Kindle sensation. Don't you want to *have* the book? You know...like something that you can look at? To me, that is part of the value.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #125
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't understand the Kindle sensation. Don't you want to *have* the book? You know...like something that you can look at? To me, that is part of the value.
For me, I like to turn the Kindle on its side and just swipe my finger. It is too difficult for myself to constantly try and hold the book with one hand and have to set the book down to respopsition a page. And holding the book with my thumb on one page and my pinky with the other... gets extremely tiring after awhile.

Also, it is easier to bring a Kindle with me on trips than it is to back a book, especially when I usually am reading a couple of books at one time.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #126
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I bought a hard copy of Bryan's book because I didn't want to wait for the ebook.

But in general, no, not only do I not care about having the physical book, I very much prefer not to. Digital is easier to transport, easier to store, more immediate to purchase, and more convenient to read.

I've seen other people make this argument and I just don't get it. Did we go through the same thing when the ipod first hit mainstream? Because it's the same thing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #127
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I bought a hard copy of Bryan's book because I didn't want to wait for the ebook.

But in general, no, not only do I not care about having the physical book, I very much prefer not to. Digital is easier to transport, easier to store, more immediate to purchase, and more convenient to read.

I've seen other people make this argument and I just don't get it. Did we go through the same thing when the ipod first hit mainstream? Because it's the same thing.
I understand the argument if it's something relatively worthless, like a webpage that you would read on a given day. I don't understand it when it's something that has some value in and of itself. (I.E., something that somebody might "sign.")
Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #128
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I understand the argument if it's something relatively worthless, like a webpage that you would read on a given day. I don't understand it when it's something that has some value in and of itself. (I.E., something that somebody might "sign.")
So you still use CD's?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #129
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
So you still use CD's?
Sure. Why not?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:20 PM   #130
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Just purchased it. I'm excited to read it, and I'm excited for you! Doing great, man.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #131
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

I go out of my way to purchase a CD and not a digital copy. I recently bought a digital copy and then went to Best Buy to get a physical copy of the new Springsteen CD. It looks way nicer in my CD collection that way. I guess I'm old fashioned, but I also just don't get the e-book sensation (although I would be extremely tempted to use mine to read the New York Times or WSJ).

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #132
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sure. Why not?
The real question is.... Do you listen to those CDs while you're yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off your lawn?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #133
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Sure. Why not?
Ah, forgot about this conversation.

Convenience, that's why. CD's take up unnecessary room, require a trip to a store, and are very easily lost or destroyed.

Same thing with books. Why would I carry four physical books with me on a trip, rather than a single tablet? Why would I keep an entire library of reference books rather than have digital copies on a server?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #134
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would I keep an entire library of reference books rather than have digital copies on a server?
Because books don't crash?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #135
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Because books don't crash?
But books get wet, get stolen, or burn.

There's absolutely nothing safer than having digital files on a cloud server.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #136
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting dangerously close to a lounge convo

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #137
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

It is, I should probably apologize to BG for hijacking his thread.

But I bought his book, and I went through the beating of burning him all of those games to DVD, so at the very least, we're even.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #138
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It is, I should probably apologize to BG for hijacking his thread.

But I bought his book, and I went through the beating of burning him all of those games to DVD, so at the very least, we're even.
No worries.
I'm hopeful that I can have an ebook update by the end of this week.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #139
Bayliss

Quote:
No worries.
I'm hopeful that I can have an ebook update by the end of this week.
Hallelujah!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #140
fluid.forty.one

It just came in the mail! Can't wait to dive into this.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #141
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
It just came in the mail! Can't wait to dive into this.
Awesome.

Sorry I haven't been able to give an update on the ebook. I haven't been able to really dig in on the follow up with my guy since I came down with the flu in Game 3. I'll work on it, guys.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #142
Bayliss

Quote:
orry I haven't been able to give an update on the ebook. I haven't been able to really dig in on the follow up with my guy since I came down with the flu in Game 3. I'll work on it, guys.
Come on now. If Dirk can will the Mavs to victory in the Finals... and we all know Jordan's "flu" game.... you can suck it up and get going.

Last edited by Bayliss; 05-07-2012 at 07:01 PM.