Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: how do you think the mavswill fare in the playoffs?
lose in the first round 26 38.81%
lose in the second round 10 14.93%
lose in the conference finals 7 10.45%
lose in the nba finals 3 4.48%
win the nba finals 21 31.34%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all
Default how far do the mavs go in the playoffs?

i know we dont know who we will play yet, but does it really matter?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
CaseyJones

CaseyJones will become famous soon enough

If they play to their full potential then we're looking at a late exit and maybe even make it to the finals. I have faith, they still have a great team it's just a matter of how hard they push it.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
If they play to their full potential then we're looking at a late exit and maybe even make it to the finals. I have faith, they still have a great team it's just a matter of how hard they push it.
Wow, that quote of mine about Terry that you used in your sig sounds kinda homoerotic.

But back on topic - you say, "it's just a matter of how hard they push it," and I totally agree... I think the Mavs go balls-deep into the playoffs.

Balls-deep.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But back on topic - you say, "it's just a matter of how hard they push it," and I totally agree... I think the Mavs go balls-deep into the playoffs.

Balls-deep.
And raw.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know who we're playing before I try to guess.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Championship, bitches.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
There can be only one.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Championship baby. Coast to coast.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
Championship, bitches.
This man here, do you see this man? This man speaks the truth.

Championship or nothing.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
tc29

tc29 is on a distinguished road

Metta World Peace just handed us a R1 victory as OKC seems to be our first opponent at this point based on current standings (and while I wish Harden the best, this just made a R1 victory very feasible).

Mavs are most likely facing the Lakers in SF (don't see Denver taking out LAL). One can only hope a dislocated finger Roddy conjures up some JJB-like lane driving magic and Carter goes on an unconscious 3-ball trip. Personally, I think if Mavs beat the Lakers, we win the whole thing. You'd have SA, Memphis, LAC, or whatever 8th seed fodder in the conference finals. I think at that point, Mavs would be zoned in with Dirk squirrel nuts abound.

As I recall, it was the win over LAL that gave us the silent confidence necessary to win the whole thing (that and the Portland Game 4 wake up call). Count me as one of those still living mentally in June 2011 somewhat.
tc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
We're currently working on that.

If you come back in a couple of days, we'll have the answer for ya.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
haCORErdMav

haCORErdMav has a spectacular aura abouthaCORErdMav has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc29 View Post
Metta World Peace just handed us a R1 victory as OKC seems to be our first opponent at this point based on current standings (and while I wish Harden the best, this just made a R1 victory very feasible).

Mavs are most likely facing the Lakers in SF (don't see Denver taking out LAL). One can only hope a dislocated finger Roddy conjures up some JJB-like lane driving magic and Carter goes on an unconscious 3-ball trip. Personally, I think if Mavs beat the Lakers, we win the whole thing. You'd have SA, Memphis, LAC, or whatever 8th seed fodder in the conference finals. I think at that point, Mavs would be zoned in with Dirk squirrel nuts abound.

As I recall, it was the win over LAL that gave us the silent confidence necessary to win the whole thing (that and the Portland Game 4 wake up call). Count me as one of those still living mentally in June 2011 somewhat.
I like the idea of that happening!
haCORErdMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

we better learn to play on the road. 13-19 isnt going to cut it when we won't have HCA on anyone.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
we better learn to play on the road. 13-19 isnt going to cut it when we won't have HCA on anyone.
Sad truth
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc29 View Post

Mavs are most likely facing the Lakers in SF (don't see Denver taking out LAL).
I don't see how Dallas playing OKC is a "free victory." It's going to be a grueling challenge to win a series no matter who they face. If the mavs were underdogs last year, then they are 10-mile-deep-dogs this year.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

If Harden is seriously injured and Artest is seriously suspended that could be a double K.O.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
sbibi

sbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the roughsbibi is a jewel in the rough

If harden misses 2 games or so we should have no problem against OKC... Otherwise I can see it going 7 games with us being on top.
sbibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, that quote of mine about Terry that you used in your sig sounds kinda homoerotic.

Balls-deep.
And no lube for the opponents. No homo...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

I've heard no word here in OKC about any specific information indicating Harden misses any playoff games. Noone's really saying anything other than he has to go through this routine of exams, etc, etc before being cleared. A new NBA concussion policy of some sort. Too early to assume he won't be 100% for game 1.
thunderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfan View Post
I've heard no word here in OKC about any specific information indicating Harden misses any playoff games. Noone's really saying anything other than he has to go through this routine of exams, etc, etc before being cleared. A new NBA concussion policy of some sort. Too early to assume he won't be 100% for game 1.
There aren't any set rules for a concussion, but his status is determined by the league, not the team - on average, concussed players miss about a week.

He should be fine by the time the playoffs roll around...

Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #21
thunderfan

thunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the roughthunderfan is a jewel in the rough

Apparently there are certain test and so on...

Under the NBA's newly instituted concussion policy, Harden can return to the court only after passing a rigorous evaluation process that could take several days.

Once he's considered free of concussion symptoms, Harden must make it through increasing stages of exertion — from riding a stationary bike, to jogging, to agility work, to individual basketball skills — while ensuring the symptoms don't return after each stage.

If Harden passes each test the team then has to consult with Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, the director of the NBA's concussion program, to determine when Harden can return. The NBA's concussion policy went into effect at the start of training camps this season.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just imagine Presti would find his brain back and trade Westbrook for Rondo and match any RFA offer for Harden in 2013...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #23
thunderfan

Nah..we don't want a player that passes the ball. I prefer a guy to keep launching 3 pointers even if he's 3-19 from the field. No really, I think RW is great. He's just....irritating sometimes. Then he'll do enough things to make you forget the irritation.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

If the Mavs rebound worth a damn, I think they could actually go pretty far. But their typical lack of athleticism and grit on the boards is pretty disturbing.

But hey, they did a nice job against Chi-town, a top rebounding team. So, who knows....

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

If the Mavericks make it past the first round, I sincerely believe they will make a run to the Finals again. I think at that point they will run into the Heat again, and the revenge factor coupled with the difference in talent between Dallas and Miami will be too much to overcome.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #26
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMavsFan View Post
If the Mavericks make it past the first round, I sincerely believe they will make a run to the Finals again. I think at that point they will run into the Heat again, and the revenge factor coupled with the difference in talent between Dallas and Miami will be too much to overcome.
I wish I shared your optimism but I think 2nd round is our ceiling. Looking at it realistically we're a 6th or 7th seed team it just doesn't happen often.

On the other hand last time there was a lockout Knicks were #8 seed and went to the Finals. Maybe, just maybe.

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-23-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
C_Man

C_Man can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I wish I shared your optimism but I think 2nd round is our ceiling.
To be honest, nobody gives a what you think.

Last edited by jthig32; 04-23-2012 at 03:27 PM.
C_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #28
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
If the Mavs rebound worth a damn, I think they could actually go pretty far. But their typical lack of athleticism and grit on the boards is pretty disturbing.

But hey, they did a nice job against Chi-town, a top rebounding team. So, who knows....
Yep our rebounding has looked more like volleyball all season, Haywood cannot catch a rebound he just bats it back in the air. To me that's the main reason losing TC is so valuable, we're fine on D without him but the rebounding has suffered.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #29
Underdog

Quote:
I wish I shared your optimism but I think 2nd round is our ceiling. Looking at it realistically we're a 6th or 7th seed team it just doesn't happen often.

On the other hand last time there was a lockout Knicks were #8 seed and went to the Finals. Maybe, just maybe.
Nice edit - I was just about to bring up the Knicks...

Exceptions to the rules abound in a lockout-shortened season.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #30
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Nice edit - I was just about to bring up the Knicks...

Exceptions to the rules abound in a lockout-shortened season.
I really want to believe, but I just don't see it.

Why do you believe other than you just love your team? That's not enough. Every fan of every team loves their team but only one team is champion.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
I really want to believe, but I just don't see it.

Why do you believe other than you just love your team? That's not enough. Every fan of every team loves their team but only one team is champion.
I didn't see anything special about last year's team until the playoffs rolled around...

Not much motivation for the Mavs to put forth the extra effort in this condensed regular season... Seems like they've been holding a lot back. But I've seen some very promising things from these guys in the last week or two - looks like this veteran squad is starting to hit its stride.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #32
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I didn't see anything special about last year's team until the playoffs rolled around...
Last year's team started 24-5 and had an 18-1 stretch midseason. Their record suffered in the last month of the season, but that was mainly due to 1-point losses and other heartbreakers. On top of that, they were consistently good on the road, tying their eventual Finals opponent for the best road record in the league. They did show the signs; you just apparently missed them.

This year's team has done what, won six games in a row once? They're 7 games over .500. They have more losses than last year's team, even with 16 fewer games on the schedule. On top of that, they have a terrible road record. About the only similarity you can point to is the heartbreakers near the end of each season, but are you really going to point to losses as a positive sign? At least the 2011 team showed a lot of promise before that, while this year we've just had heartbreakers throughout. You could also point to Odom's departure and hope that's a sign of good things to come, but the total impact that will truly have on the court is still up to speculation.

Due to the wonky schedule and the injuries and the depressed pariah, this team is probably better that your average #6 or #7 seed. But it hasn't shown any genuine signs of being an elite team either. While there have been slumping teams in the past that magically caught fire at the right time like the '99 Knicks and the '10 Celtics, there's no reason to believe this is one of those teams until they go out there and prove it.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #33
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Last year's team started 24-5 and had an 18-1 stretch midseason. Their record suffered in the last month of the season, but that was mainly due to 1-point losses and other heartbreakers. On top of that, they were consistently good on the road, tying their eventual Finals opponent for the best road record in the league. They did show the signs; you just apparently missed them.
Nothing special there - we had wonderful win streaks during the several seasons where we got bounced in the first round too... By "anything special," I meant "eventual 2011 champions" - I never saw THAT kind of swagger in the Mavs during the regular season. Nobody did. Hell, I don't even think the Mavs saw it until Zombie Roy awoke the Beast.

Quote:
This year's team has done what, won six games in a row once? They're 7 games over .500. They have more losses than last year's team, even with 16 fewer games on the schedule. On top of that, they have a terrible road record. About the only similarity you can point to is the heartbreakers near the end of each season, but are you really going to point to losses as a positive sign? At least the 2011 team showed a lot of promise before that, while this year we've just had heartbreakers throughout. You could also point to Odom's departure and hope that's a sign of good things to come, but the total impact that will truly have on the court is still up to speculation.

Due to the wonky schedule and the injuries and the depressed pariah, this team is probably better that your average #6 or #7 seed. But it hasn't shown any genuine signs of being an elite team either. While there have been slumping teams in the past that magically caught fire at the right time like the '99 Knicks and the '10 Celtics, there's no reason to believe this is one of those teams until they go out there and prove it.
Yep, it's lockout basketball with an old team and a coach who knows the value of playoff wins over regular season wins - none of our vets logged heavy minutes and our W-L record suffered for it...

No back-to-backs in the playoffs, no Lamar Odom and we're mostly healthy - Carter, Roddy, West and Wright seem to be building momentum lately... We have a lot of time to rest and prepare this week. As long as our championship core of Dirk/JET/Kidd/Marion can rise to the occasion, then we'll have a puncher's chance.

EDIT: Of course, if I was a betting man, I'd bet against the Mavs to repeat and almost certainly win (same with any team in the playoffs)... But in a public poll, I'd rather have bragging rights to "2012 champions" than "first round exit" because, yep, I'm a Mavs fan.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #34
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nothing special there - we had wonderful win streaks during the several seasons where we got bounced in the first round too... By "anything special," I meant "eventual 2011 champions" - I never saw THAT kind of swagger in the Mavs during the regular season. Nobody did. Hell, I don't even think the Mavs saw it until Zombie Roy awoke the Beast.
So the team that won games didn't look special to you, but now the team that isn't winning games does. That's a strange reversal.

I don't care what happened in 2007, the outlier of all outliers. Winning isn't a weakness, losing is.

Quote:
Yep, it's lockout basketball with an old team and a coach who knows the value of playoff wins over regular season wins - none of our vets logged heavy minutes and our W-L record suffered for it...

No back-to-backs in the playoffs, no Lamar Odom and we're mostly healthy - Carter, Roddy, West and Wright seem to be building momentum lately... We have a lot of time to rest and prepare this week. As long as our championship core of Dirk/JET/Kidd/Marion can rise to the occasion, then we'll have a puncher's chance.
That's pretty much the same rosy rhetoric I just responded to. It's nothing more than optimistic speculation. (Haven't we actually been one of the worst teams to perform after both ourselves and our opponent had the previous day off?) It sounds like you believe this team can just "flip the switch". That idea is commonly talked about, but rarely does it actually manifest in sports.

Don't get me wrong, I want to believe too. It's just that I'm not going to get my hopes up until they actually demonstrate some level of elite play.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #35
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

Quote:
So the team that won games didn't look special to you, but now the team that isn't winning games does.
one thing i seem to recall about last year, in addition to winning lots of games, was who they were beating. they had an amazing record against all the absolute power teams in the league.

it seems like last year, if you were an elite team, on a long winning streak or unbeaten, and the mavs were about to come calling, you were in big trouble that night.

right away they started knocking off all the top shelf teams with amazing consistency. spurs, lakers, thunder, celtics, heat, orlando, memphis, all did not fare well when the mavs came to town, but that was a very different team.

Last edited by mav4ever; 04-23-2012 at 06:06 PM.
mav4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #36
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav4ever View Post
right away they started knocking off all the top shelf teams with amazing consistency. spurs, lakers, thunder, celtics, heat, orlando, memphis, all did not fare well when the mavs came to town, but that was a very different team.
2011 Mavericks regular season head-to-head:

Spurs 1-3
Lakers 1-2
Thunder 2-1
Celtics 2-0
Heat 2-0
Magic 1-1
Grizzlies 1-3

Total: 10-10

Winning a ring changes everything, especially perception...

Last edited by Underdog; 04-23-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #37
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
2011 Mavericks regular season head-to-head:

Spurs 1-3
Lakers 1-2
Thunder 2-1
Celtics 2-0
Heat 2-0
Magic 1-1
Grizzlies 1-3

Total: 10-10

Winning a ring changes everything, especially perception...
Four of those ten losses happened when Dirk was out, and the first game he came back against Memphis he was gimpy.

Total: 10-5

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
mav4ever

it certainly seems like we were better against really hot teams. remember the "how many games is their win streak? zero now dirk, their win streak is zero?"

maybe it was early in the year or something?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
Underdog

Quote:
Four of those ten losses happened when Dirk was out, and the first game he came back against Memphis he was gimpy.

Total: 10-5
Oh, okay - I guess all of our losses this season without any number of players don't count either...

50-15, bring on the Jazz.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Oh, okay - I guess all of our losses this season without any number of players don't count either...

50-15, bring on the Jazz.
I didn't add wins and I only counted Dirk. Is he just another player?

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Tags
kool aid ate my brain