Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold
Default Ersan Illyasova

I have been looking at all the potential free agents the Mavs could target and I've begun to think Illyasova has a great chance to be an AllStar. Maybe I'm just hopeful, but he is the player I covet the most except Deron Williams of course.

He was hailed early on as the best young player in Europe with the best comp being Andrei Kirilenko. Here's a Chad Ford story from 2005 http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...had&id=2052155

He is a legit 6'10" who rebounds well (3.3 OReb, 8.8 Rebs), hit 3s at over 45%, and hit FTs at 78%. Obviously with though percentages his TS% was impressive 57.7% (mostly due to his better 3p shot selection)

The best thing about him is that he is a 24 y/o unrestricted free agent. (He turns 25 next week) I like him a ton more than Nicolas Batum and I think he can be had for around 4 year 32 million.

The downside is that this was definitely his career year with the last 28 games being especially kind. Here is a very smart and comprehensive Bucks article on Ersan's limitations. http://www.brewhoop.com/2012/5/7/299...ilwaukee-bucks It was posted yesterday.

I'm really interested to hear other opinions on his future. Would he fit in with Dirk?
Old 05-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Can we have a thread for each player in free agency, the draft and trade targets?

Juuuuussss kidding. Interesting post. Just brace for thread police.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Can we have a thread for each player in free agency, the draft and trade targets?

I've probably started 10 threads in the 10 years I've been on this board. I'd hope that I'm allowed to average 1 a year.

I just felt compelled to see what others think.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:

No thread police here. Interesting thread, but I think the Mavs are going to buy low on guys this offseason and look for better value next offseason as teams begin to cap out. Ultimately, my guess would be that the Mavs want to avoid using up their cap space like the Pistons and Illyasova smells more like a Charlie V. than a sure thing like Deron. My bet would be that you'll see the Mavs make a run at Gordon and/or Williams, take a flyer on Oden, and potentially look for another buy low guy like Wright this off season.

I don't think you'll see them tie up any cap room on guys who have had contract years during a weird season.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

He is a PF, he can't guard pretty much any threes in the league. So yeah not a good fit.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Scott McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
No thread police here. Interesting thread, but I think the Mavs are going to buy low on guys this offseason and look for better value next offseason as teams begin to cap out. Ultimately, my guess would be that the Mavs want to avoid using up their cap space like the Pistons and Illyasova smells more like a Charlie V. than a sure thing like Deron. My bet would be that you'll see the Mavs make a run at Gordon and/or Williams, take a flyer on Oden, and potentially look for another buy low guy like Wright this off season.

I don't think you'll see them tie up any cap room on guys who have had contract years during a weird season.
I agree that the best approach would be to avoid the middle class. I believe I watched a Cuban interview where he said with the new CBA the only players that would be worth more than their contract are the All Stars and the people like Delonte/Wright who are minimum guys who can play.

The only "middle class" guys you'd want to go after are guys you value more than other teams. The challenge would be that they'd be unproven over the long haul ala Charlie V (or else they wouldn't be middle class). When people have second halves like Dragic and Illyasova I often am reminded of Marquis Daniels over the part of his rookie year.

The difference is that if there isn't a superstar on the horizon you have to bet on a "middle class" player at some point.

The question is mostly…. If we get Deron, who should we get to add to the roster? I think Ersan could be a great piece to add to the young core with Deron.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad name to throw out there, but for the price, it's really difficult to get a handle on how much we can spend on a player with so many holes in this roster... Although you can never have too many shooters in this league.

I definitely agree that he'd be a good fit next to Deron/Dirk though - and he does enough things well to be worthy of a "middle class" paycheck..

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
mav4ever

mav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to allmav4ever is a name known to all

Quote:

i know, right!!? its getting out of hand!! this forum gets pounded by new threads at insane rates approaching 1 per day.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Ersan is awesome. Can't believe I forgot the waiver guy who helped me claim the D-M fantasy basketball throne.

The primary drawback for Ersan is that in terms of the impact guys the forum has discussed (DWill, Batum, Dragic), he probably fits the least well with Dirk as he plays most of his minutes at PF. He probably comes the cheapest as well.

As for forum thread management, I think having a thread per individual free agent wouldn't be bad, especially if they are popular and worthy of discussion. Not sure if they belong in the Mavericks side or general NBA though.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I see the "thread police" mentioned on these boards far more often than I actually see anyone bitching about new threads... It's usually a matter of timing, relevance of topic and the frequency that an individual poster makes new threads that draws the ire of forum members.

Judging by the level-headed conversation that's being had in this thread, I'd say a dedicated space for Ersan Illyasov is completely thread-worthy - especially since he's a realistic option worth discussing.... Just don't post a new thread for every little rumor about him and we're golden.

Oh, and add me to the list of people who wouldn't mind seeing Illyasov in a Mavs uniform if the price is right.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-08-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
He is a PF, he can't guard pretty much any threes in the league. So yeah not a good fit.
This. Unfortunately that's the case, i was also intrigued about the possibility a couple months ago, but Bucks fans sweared he's terrible at SF, so yeah, not a good fit.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
This. Unfortunately that's the case, i was also intrigued about the possibility a couple months ago, but Bucks fans sweared he's terrible at SF, so yeah, not a good fit.
Well that sucks to hear... He's long and has a helluva three-point stroke, so we could definitely use a guy like that, but anyone who can't play defense in Carlisle's system better be a league-minimum guy.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-08-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Tags
4dn1 knows thread police, no thread police lol