Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #1
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default what makes a good rebounder?

What combination of what elements make the best rebounder? Height, leaping ability, toughness, positioning, etc.? Give your thoughts...
Old 09-26-2003, 10:30 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what makes a good rebounder?

Position and timing.

One of the reasons I loved watching Barkley was cause he had a feel for where the ball was going to bounce and be there.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

grabbing alot of rebounds is the key attribute
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:33 AM   #4
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

being able to read the shot..seeing where the ball will hit and how it will bounce before others do..that helps. (exactly what MFF said).

rodman was great at this.

a big/wide butt never hurt...you have to be willing to bang. The paint isn't a place for the faint of heart
Old 09-26-2003, 11:24 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what makes a good rebounder?

Like Rodman said when asked about the secret to rebounding:

"Just go get the damn ball"

As far as physical attributes, you need to be strong to establish position. That's more important than height or leaping ability.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

IMO it's desire. There is nothing cool or awe inspiring about getting a rebound. You won't see a rebound on ESPN unless you're breaking some kind of record. I've seen little guys out scrap/desire a rebound from a far superior opponent. Boxing out and positioning are also key, lots of big men get by on this alone.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

if you don't have the "desire", you won't be in position to get the rebound...you won't block out..you won't learn to read where the ball will be when the ball hits the rim at a certain angle, etc.

Old 09-26-2003, 12:16 PM   #9
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Position and timing.
Yes, and wanting to [desire].

Edit: The system of the team has to do a lot with the position and timing. The desire comes from the guts.

Old 09-26-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Timing, being able to see the shot while it is in the air, height, strength, ability to jump, dedication, aggresion, other rebounders to take double box outs on you.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:37 PM   #11
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanFinley
Position and timing.
Exactly. If it were based on size, it would be impossible for players like Ben Wallace, Fortson, or any other undersized F/C to be a successful rebounder.

The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote