Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Midwest Conf is loaded!!

Wow. Just looked at the standings and noticed that the entire Midwest Conference if over .500. Also the Grizzlies would be leading the Atlantic Division. Unbelievably tough...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Midwest Conf is loaded!!

The Jazz who are in last place in our Division and wouldn't make the playoffs if the season ended today, would be leading the Atlantic Division.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Not based on record right? But on talent?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Not based on record right? But on talent?

Sorry Dude I failed to notice that Memphis had slipped to last place in our division due to a worse conference record than the Jazz have. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

I think we're playing in the toughest division in the NBA top to bottom. The Atlantic division should be renamed the creme puff division though.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:25 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

The top 2 of the league are in the same division. No other team from the same division makes the top 12.

All of the Midwestern division teams make the top 12 of the NBA.

Only 3 from the East make the top 12.

12 teams from the West are .500+. Only 7 from the East.

Interesting:

Dallas is

1-2 against the #1
1-0 against the #2
0-0 against the #3
1-1 against the #4
2-0 against the #5
1-0 against the #6
1-1 against the #7

7-4 against the teams better ranked than itself. That's .636; 9-8 against the worse ranked for .529.

Old 12-26-2003, 10:26 PM   #6
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Midwest Conf is loaded!!

And N'Orleans will be with us next year, daaaamn...
Old 12-27-2003, 01:07 AM   #7
LordOfTheMavs

LordOfTheMavs is on a distinguished road

Here's Sagarin ratings.

Dallas has the 5th toughest schedule so far. They are 7-5 vs. Top10 teams. They are 10-5 vs. Top16 teams.

They are the reverse of last years team record wise. Last year they had a great record to start the year and a weak SOS. Everyone ragged Dallas and said they didn't have a big man or play strong enough defense to beat the elite teams. Well, they ended up a game and one fourth quater from the WCF and a championship trophy.

This year they don't have the gaudy record, but have played a much stronger schedule against a much improved Western conference and are beating the elite teams on the road. But the pundits tell the same story. The Mavs dont have a big man and don't play defense.

Basically the Mavs will not get any respect over the "Elite" teams. Hell, the broadcast of the Kings game made me want to throw up. I am so sick of the Mavs getting ragged on by the damn broadcast crew. It really, really pisses me off. I understand on an internet message board I will hear crap about irk and allas, but during the broadcast. Damn. I was about to come unglued when I heard that crap.
LordOfTheMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

I wonder if there is some tactics hidden by Nelson to make this season something similar to the season SA did last year. To start slow, and to finish down the stretch of the season, very hard. In spite of the jelling and stuff.

Old 12-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #9
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Everyone ragged Dallas and said they didn't have a big man or play strong enough defense to beat the elite teams.....are beating the elite teams on the road. But the pundits tell the same story. The Mavs dont have a big man and don't play defense.
The overriding message here is that "pundits tell the same story" that everyone else is telling. I'm sure there are exceptions but in general it seems that Pundits and the media have to be some of the most unoriginal and laziest of professionals. It's almost laughable that they are actually paid to repeat pablam they hear.

Isn't it wonderful how sacto scores 63 in the first and dallas has not defense but dallas scores 63 in the second and the mavs can "shoot themselves back into any game". The pundits have nothing original to discusss/say so they repeat conventional "wisdom".

Old 12-27-2003, 02:05 PM   #10
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
it seems that Pundits and the media have to be some of the most unoriginal and laziest of professionals
I really think it has more to do with the "lazy" part than everything else. I had thought of it in the same way about our soccer announcers. They get stuck, they label everyone and everything, put the pilot in automatic, and let their careers run without any growing on their proffesional competitiveness for the rest of their lifes.

Old 12-27-2003, 04:15 PM   #11
stevie_franchise3

stevie_franchise3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: LordOfTheMavs
Here's Sagarin ratings.

Dallas has the 5th toughest schedule so far. They are 7-5 vs. Top10 teams. They are 10-5 vs. Top16 teams.

They are the reverse of last years team record wise. Last year they had a great record to start the year and a weak SOS. Everyone ragged Dallas and said they didn't have a big man or play strong enough defense to beat the elite teams. Well, they ended up a game and one fourth quater from the WCF and a championship trophy.

This year they don't have the gaudy record, but have played a much stronger schedule against a much improved Western conference and are beating the elite teams on the road. But the pundits tell the same story. The Mavs dont have a big man and don't play defense.

Basically the Mavs will not get any respect over the "Elite" teams. Hell, the broadcast of the Kings game made me want to throw up. I am so sick of the Mavs getting ragged on by the damn broadcast crew. It really, really pisses me off. I understand on an internet message board I will hear crap about irk and allas, but during the broadcast. Damn. I was about to come unglued when I heard that crap.
beating the elite teams on the road is a little bit deceptive.

S.A - No Duncan
L.A - No GP
Sacramento - No Peja or Webber

As far as the 1 quarter and game from Championship is really reaching. Woulda coulda shoulda. You were also one game from the biggest choke in NBA history.

The reason the Mavs dont get any respect is because they dont play any D.
People should boo until the Mavs start playing with heart. If they are trying but not living up to potential then they shouldnt be booing. If they are playing heartless basketball people should be booing. ......as stated by EricaLubarsky
stevie_franchise3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:34 PM   #12
LRB
Guru

Quote:
An absolutely inaccurate statement. The Mavs do play D as evidenced by the 2nd half against the Kings, our problem is playing consistent D. The Mavs have far too many lapses in D, but to say we don't play any is highly inaccurate.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:45 PM   #13
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
An absolutely inaccurate statement. The Mavs do play D as evidenced by the 2nd half against the Kings, our problem is playing consistent D. The Mavs have far too many lapses in D, but to say we don't play any is highly inaccurate.
Ok, well they dont play D for the most part as their opponents score almost a 100 a game and at 45% FG. Thats no defense which is 29 out of 29 teams. Dallas gives up more points than anyone in the league period. And only 3 teams allow an opponent to shoot better. Thats NO D.
People should boo until the Mavs start playing with heart. If they are trying but not living up to potential then they shouldnt be booing. If they are playing heartless basketball people should be booing. ......as stated by EricaLubarsky
Old 12-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #14
StupidDannyAInge

StupidDannyAInge is on a distinguished road

The Mavericks do not play defense on a consistant basis but to say they never play defense isn't exactly true.

Old 12-27-2003, 06:22 PM   #15
Chiwas
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: StupidDannyAInge
The Mavericks do not play defense on a consistant basis but to say they never play defense isn't exactly true.
That's true. The defense of Dallas has some gaps that allows the other teams to be scoring some 6 points per game more than last season's. The gap that I most hate is the defense against the fastbreaks. Once the best offensive weapon of the Mavs is now their main weakness defensively; at least, the one where they look more fragile.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:32 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: stevie_franchise3
Quote:
Quote:
Ok, well they dont play D for the most part as their opponents score almost a 100 a game and at 45% FG. Thats no defense which is 29 out of 29 teams. Dallas gives up more points than anyone in the league period. And only 3 teams allow an opponent to shoot better. Thats NO D.
November 13, 2003, the Mavs held the Houston Rockets to 86 points on 40.2% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

October 29, 203 the Mavs held the Golden State Warriors to 87 points on 39.1% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

November 8, 2003 the Mavs held the San Antonio Spurs to 78 points on 32.5% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

November 6, 2003 the Mavs held the Toronto Raptors to 77 points on 39.7% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 09:58 PM   #17
stevie_franchise3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
November 13, 2003, the Mavs held the Houston Rockets to 86 points on 40.2% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

October 29, 203 the Mavs held the Golden State Warriors to 87 points on 39.1% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

November 8, 2003 the Mavs held the San Antonio Spurs to 78 points on 32.5% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

November 6, 2003 the Mavs held the Toronto Raptors to 77 points on 39.7% shooting. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

First of all let me say these are all bad examples especially since all of these game were in the first two weeks of the season when everyone is trying to get team chemistry. Also none of these teams are offensive juggernaughts either.

Rockets - oohhh you held us to 86 points on 40.2. Guess what we average 86.9 on 42%.

Warriors - lets see, Nick Van Exel didnt play nor did Jason Richardson. What a defensive gem on the scrubs. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Spurs - Was Timmy Duncan playing? Was Tony Parker playing. Another defensive gem against scrubs. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Toronto - If you check Toronto's average they are dead last in scoring and have been for pretty much the whole season. Also you guys lost that game and only scored 71. You lost the game. Bad example.

I am sure I could find twice as many legitimate example to prove my point.

Cmon man I know you can do better than this
Old 12-27-2003, 10:51 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

First of all let me say these are all bad examples especially since all of these game were in the first two weeks of the season when everyone is trying to get team chemistry. Also none of these teams are offensive juggernaughts either.

Rockets - oohhh you held us to 86 points on 40.2. Guess what we average 86.9 on 42%.

Warriors - lets see, Nick Van Exel didnt play nor did Jason Richardson. What a defensive gem on the scrubs. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Spurs - Was Timmy Duncan playing? Was Tony Parker playing. Another defensive gem against scrubs. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]

Toronto - If you check Toronto's average they are dead last in scoring and have been for pretty much the whole season. Also you guys lost that game and only scored 71. You lost the game. Bad example.

I am sure I could find twice as many legitimate example to prove my point.

Cmon man I know you can do better than this
Your point is that the Mavs never play D. That simply isn't true. As I showed we held your Rockets below your average. It's dumb to say that you can find twice as many examples where the Mavs played poor D, because you'd have to show that every minute of every game that the mavs played poor D. That simply isn't true.

Do the Mavs play more poor D than great or even good D? Yes. Do the Mavs play no D. No. Just because you have 3 bad games to 1 good game doesn't mean you play no D. No D means every game you play bad. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2003, 11:21 PM   #19
stevie_franchise3

After you first pointed out that I said never, I changed my stance to for the most part they dont so i dont know why you brought out the examples.

Lets take a look:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, well they dont play D for the most part .as their opponents score almost a 100 a game and at 45% FG. Thats no defense which is 29 out of 29 teams. Dallas gives up more points than anyone in the league period. And only 3 teams allow an opponent to shoot better. Thats NO D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course there is no team in the league that plays no defense. But everyone knows Dallas for the most part doesnt, period.

Lets put it like this, Dallas is alot closer to playing no D then they are to great defense, a helluva lot closer.

And I know I could find more games where Dallas doesnt play great defense than you could find where they do. You guys just try to outscore teams with your potent offense rather than play good defense which is evident on how you guys can be up 18 and then down 4 in a quick time last tonight against the Grizzlies. When you go on the road it is a different story though and those shots dont fall as easily as evidenced by your 4-10 record.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #20
LRB
Guru

Quote:
After you first pointed out that I said never, I changed my stance to for the most part they dont so i dont know why you brought out the examples.

Lets take a look:

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, well they dont play D for the most part .as their opponents score almost a 100 a game and at 45% FG. Thats no defense which is 29 out of 29 teams. Dallas gives up more points than anyone in the league period. And only 3 teams allow an opponent to shoot better. Thats NO D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course there is no team in the league that plays no defense. But everyone knows Dallas for the most part doesnt, period.

Lets put it like this, Dallas is alot closer to playing no D then they are to great defense, a helluva lot closer.

And I know I could find more games where Dallas doesnt play great defense than you could find where they do. You guys just try to outscore teams with your potent offense rather than play good defense which is evident on how you guys can be up 18 and then down 4 in a quick time last tonight against the Grizzlies. When you go on the road it is a different story though and those shots dont fall as easily as evidenced by your 4-10 record.
See if you'd said that at 1st then I wouldn't have been arguing with you. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But to be fair, Dallas only has one center on it's roster and he's been hurt most of the year. That makes a huge difference. But still the Mavs need to learn to play better D, even when Bradley returns. Bradley will make a difference, but he certainly won't remove all our problems on the defensive end.

The team is definitely capable of playing decent if not great D, we just don't do it most of the time. The outscore them part is usually true. Nellie is the master of mismatches. He tries to create mismatches for us on the offensive end, but that usually means there is one for the other team as well. [img]i/expressions/rolleye.gif[/img] Let's just say that I'm not a huge fan of that tactic.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:43 AM   #21
Chiwas
Guru

.448 and .330 it's what the other teams are making in FG% and 3P%. They have scored 98 ppg.

Last season those numbers were .438, .340 and 95.2.

That means that the Mavs have allowed 3 more points per game. That's the objective perspective for the less defense of the Mavs this year.

However, we should mix it with the offensive numbers. The Mavs have scored this season 103 ppg and last season 102.

The difference is between two seasons have been a -2 points per game.

The Mavs haven't lost that many games this year more than last year because the -2.

It's because they have won less games with a bigger margin, and lost more with a bigger margin than last season.

That doesn't mean that the Mavs are worse defenders, but that the Mavs aren't playing harder, specially down the stretch.