Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #41
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
The Lakers are setting themselves up just like the 06-07 Mavs by being over confident, I might be the only Mavs fan that's not scared of the Lakers, the Lakers don't jump on teams with there defense like the Celtics do, they can't hold be leads because they get bored with it and nobody knows how andrew bynum is gonna be when he comes back.

I'm not saying the Mavs are gonna beat the Lakers in the playoffs but we a smart Coach in Rick Carlisle who is very good with match up's and didn't give his defensive schemes away in the season, were gonna have alot of defenders to throw at Kobe in Howard(if he's not hurt) Wright, Singelton and Jason Kidd, remember Josh has not played in any of the games when we played the Lakers this season and the Lakers only beat us by 7 point every game.

As for the Lakers and Jazz game if the Lakers do decided to throw the game they would still be the Jazz because the Jazz just suck on the road, I would like to play the Denver Thuggets in the playoffs or the Blazers but the odds of us playing the Blazers are slim.
You would rather play the Nuggets (who swpt the Mavs) than a Giniboli less Spurs team that has lost lots of games at home this year?
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #42
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
A sweep of the Mavs is much more likely than a sweep of the Jazz.
If it wasn't clear from my previous post, I completely disagree with this.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #43
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
If it wasn't clear from my previous post, I completely disagree with this.
I agree with your disagreement.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #44
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

Besides the Lakers trying to catch the Cavs, the Lakers need to work Andrew Bynum. He's gonna have to play every game hard leading to the playoffs. And the rest of the team will need to be on the floor while the chemistry is found.
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #45
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I think you guys are trying to divine the thoughts, feelings, and motivations of one Phil Zenmaster Jackson.

So, good luck with that. I wouldn't presume to know what that man is thinking (besides how "easy" it is to coach teams to titles that conveniently have top 5 all-time NBA players on them...)
Old 04-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #46
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

They are currently .5 games behind Cleveland, I'm pretty sure they are going to put an impotence on their last game vs. Utah.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #47
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

I almost don't care. I think the Mavs have an equally bad shot against either the Lakers and Denver. I don't know what it is about Denver, but the Mavs just can't handle them.

The only way playoff position matters is if they can somehow get into 6th. The Mavs can take the third seed. 7 or 8 though, it makes no difference.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #48
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

That sweep was as fluky as one can get.

Chauncey's game-winning kick erased Dirk's 44 points in one game, and the Joshless-Kiddless Mavs lost to the Nugs by two points in another game. Losing a playoff series to them is a likely possibility, but they don't "own" us or anything.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #49
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i think we are a more dangerous opponent than the jazz are for them. Dirk is capable of OWNING gasol. Kobe can match up against williams and make it so that the lakers are better at every individual position. Dirk is the only player in the west other than chris paul capable of coming close to matching kobe in a series.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #50
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I think you guys are trying to divine the thoughts, feelings, and motivations of one Phil Zenmaster Jackson.

So, good luck with that. I wouldn't presume to know what that man is thinking (besides how "easy" it is to coach teams to titles that conveniently have top 5 all-time NBA players on them...)
if he wins one this year he wont have a top 5 all time player on it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #51
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

I just heard on LA radio that Phil is not even making the trip to Portland.
Airwaves are all abuzz here about the Lakers ongoing slump playing in Portland.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #52
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmfast View Post
I just heard on LA radio that Phil is not even making the trip to Portland.
Airwaves are all abuzz here about the Lakers ongoing slump playing in Portland.
I read he's not making it because of his foot?

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #53
mmmfast

mmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to allmmmfast is a name known to all

Not sure of any injury or illness but talking heads were making fun of him.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #54
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
if he wins one this year he wont have a top 5 all time player on it.
He's not winning this year

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #55
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
He's not winning this year
i really hope not but despite the cavs record, the lakers are immensly more talented around kobe than the cavs are around lebron.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #56
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

I wouldnt say immensly. I would say Mo Williams is only slightly under Gasol. And that Cavs team got to an NBA Finals -Mo Williams. Without Gasol the Lakers couldnt get out of the 1st round. I may give Lakers the slight edge overall but not by much

Last edited by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs; 04-11-2009 at 01:26 AM.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 AM   #57
StrikerV

StrikerV will become famous soon enough

The Mavericks have always played terrible against the lakers at home... remember the big collapse several years ago?
StrikerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #58
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I wouldnt say immensly. I would say Mo Williams is only slightly under Gasol. And that Cavs team got to an NBA Finals -Mo Williams. Without Gasol the Lakers couldnt get out of the 1st round. I may give Lakers the slight edge overall but not by much
mo williams is basically jason terry. gasol is alot better than him. Then they have odom and bynum.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #59
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

I don't see the Lakers throwing a game... but I do think that they'll sit their starters for the entire second half. To be honest though, the way Utah is playing... the Lakers bench could probably beat the Utah starting five (as long as the game isn't @ Utah)

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:26 AM   #60
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

They won't, not now.

We're hot, Utah's not.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #61
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
mo williams is basically jason terry. gasol is alot better than him. Then they have odom and bynum.
Not really, two different players, MO williams penetrates a lot more than JET.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #62
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

um.maybe~ so we better win the last 3 games!
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 AM   #63
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

At this rate, Utah may end up throwing that last game to rest their guys...

Contact Me
Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #64
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Well with Utah losing to Golden State, they are looking more and more like they will get that 8 seed.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #65
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Will Phil rest the starters tonight?

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #66
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I'm sure Phil will rest the starters for at least the second half heck maybe even the entire game.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #67
alby
Guru

Yes he is.

Contact Me
Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #68
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

From SI.com

Jazz (48-33) at Lakers (64-17)

What's at stake: Utah would clinch the No. 8 seed with a loss.
Skinny: Utah has lost six of eight and owns only one road victory against a Western Conference playoff team (at New Orleans on April 5). The Jazz need a win at Los Angeles to avoid, at least for the moment, a first-round matchup with the top-seeded Lakers, who eliminated Utah in the conference semifinals last season. Utah, which trails Dallas and New Orleans by one game but holds the tiebreaker over both teams, can still climb as high as No. 6 with a victory and losses by the Mavericks (vs. Houston) and Hornets (at San Antonio) in their season finales Wednesday.
Meanwhile, the Lakers' bid for home-court advantage throughout the playoffs ended Monday when Cleveland beat Indiana. Nevertheless, coach Phil Jackson plans to play his starters in a game in which the Lakers can help determine their first-round opponent.
"I wouldn't think of sitting players," Jackson told Los Angeles reporters. "I don't think that's the right thing to do when people buy season tickets, special-game tickets and things like that. The league has asked us not to do that, so we have to [respect] that."

Last edited by vinylstar; 04-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #69
MX425

MX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to allMX425 is a name known to all

I agree. I think he will play the starters. Probably tell them to go out there and put this one away early and let the reserves close the game. I really doubt he would let this team win in LA when they have no idea of they might have to play this team again on Sat or Sun. Why give any team confidence.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #70
mavs777
Diamond Member

who cares? Mavs are going to beat the Rockets handily at home
Old 04-14-2009, 01:43 PM   #71
Blackspider972

Blackspider972 has a spectacular aura aboutBlackspider972 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
who cares? Mavs are going to beat the Rockets handily at home
I also thought they would beat the lowly T-Wolves bad yesterday. Who knows what team will show up tomorrow.
Blackspider972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #72
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-14-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #73
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

on earth, and in the entire space-time continuum.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM   #74
MavericksFan5912

MavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the roughMavericksFan5912 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
The Lakers are setting themselves up just like the 06-07 Mavs by being over confident, I might be the only Mavs fan that's not scared of the Lakers, the Lakers don't jump on teams with there defense like the Celtics do, they can't hold be leads because they get bored with it and nobody knows how andrew bynum is gonna be when he comes back.
I don't know if you've been watching... but the Lakers literally don't have any weaknesses. At all. Short of Kobe contracting AIDS and Gasol breaking his foot in ten places between now and next week, the Mavs don't have a shot at beating the Lakers in a seven game series.

I hate to be the bearer of the bad news...

/flameon

MavericksFan5912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:50 PM   #75
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksFan5912 View Post
I don't know if you've been watching... but the Lakers literally don't have any weaknesses. At all. Short of Kobe contracting AIDS and Gasol breaking his foot in ten places between now and next week, the Mavs don't have a shot at beating the Lakers in a seven game series.

I hate to be the bearer of the bad news...

/flameon
Besides, even if the unthinkable began to take place, keep in mind that this would be:

Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol*, and the Showtime Lakers

vs.

Mark Cuban racking up fines.

He probably wouldn't need it, but Stern has a backup plan just in case. (Hint: 8 on 5.)

Last edited by Dirkadirkastan; 04-14-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #76
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Did a little hunting and i found this

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/...4.4393810.html

Quote:

Lakers won't pull punches

It'll be business as usual against Utah, a possible first-round opponent

EL SEGUNDO - Just because tonight's regular-season finale against Utah could be a first-round playoff preview doesn't mean the Lakers are especially concerned about revealing any secrets.

They won't rest any starters, alter their rotation or run a vanilla offensive scheme, holding back only a seldom-seen set or matchup advantage they might want to exploit in a potential playoff series.

"I don't think there's anything that teams haven't seen from each other that all of a sudden you can pull out to make a huge impact on a series," point guard Derek Fisher said. "Particularly if it's Utah, we've played them it seems like 20 times in the past 18 months. I don't think there are any secrets at all."

It's still not a certainty the Jazz will be the Lakers' first-round opponent, but that appears to be the most likely outcome. If the Lakers beat Utah tonight, the Jazz will return this weekend to open the playoffs. If Utah wins tonight, there are three possible first-round opponents for the Lakers -- Utah, Dallas and New Orleans -- depending what happens Wednesday.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson insists he doesn't have a preference between facing Dallas or Utah, not that he'd reveal it if he did. And even if he'd rather avoid a potentially physically draining series with the Jazz, Jackson insists that ethically he wouldn't feel comfortable trying to lose on purpose to increase Utah's chances of moving up to the No. 7 seed.

"You have to play the game the right way," he said. "Otherwise too many things can happen."

Any tangible significance to tonight's game for the Lakers evaporated Monday night when Cleveland defeated Indiana to clinch home-court advantage throughout the playoffs. Securing the NBA's best record was a goal the Lakers set for themselves before the season, but they were already speaking about it in the past tense after practice Monday afternoon.

"In the unlikely event that we are so lucky to get to the Finals, then that's going to be taken care of then," Jackson said. "It's not ultimately something that we're going to mourn right now or rue the fact we're not there right now. We've had a great season. We've put a good run on. They did better than we did."

One thing the Lakers are determined to avoid is a spirit-lifting Utah victory that would raise the Jazz's confidence entering a playoff series. Utah is 1-1 against the Lakers this season, both teams winning on their home courts.

"I think you can send a message," Pau Gasol said. "You definitely want to make sure they know we're a team they're not going to beat."

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.

Last edited by nowhereman; 04-14-2009 at 06:22 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #77
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspider972 View Post
I also thought they would beat the lowly T-Wolves bad yesterday. Who knows what team will show up tomorrow.
they did
Old 04-14-2009, 08:32 PM   #78
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Kobe already has AIDS.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #79
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Lakers are playing their guys.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #80
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

But they donĀ“t look sharp.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
answer: no