Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pop's upset with Parker

Popovich 'very disappointed' in point guard's comments

Associated Press

When Tony Parker popped off about not wanting to play with Jason Kidd, San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich was livid.

"He was fine with everything, and then he changed his tune. I thought it made him look a little bit weaker than he was during the whole season," Popovich said Thursday. "So I was very disappointed in that, and I expressed that to him."

A few days before Kidd visited San Antonio earlier this month to be recruited by the Spurs, Parker said publicly he had no desire to play with the point guard he defeated during the NBA Finals.

The comments came as a shock to San Antonio's coaching staff and management, who had been upfront with Parker for months about who their No. 1 free agent choice would be.

Upon reading the comments, Popovich phoned Parker in the Caribbean and gave him an earful.

"If you have a chance to talk to the No. 1 point guard in the whole league, you've got to do it. We didn't think the chances were great, but you still do it," Popovich said. "And Tony was on board."

Kidd visited San Antonio for two days, dined with Popovich and Tim Duncan and toured the team's practice facility. Later that week, however, he decided to remain with the New Jersey Nets and agreed to a six-year, $103 million contract.

That left the Spurs to turn to a backup rebuilding plan. San Antonio signed free agent center Rasho Nesterovic on Wednesday and still has more than $10 million in salary cap space available.

"From what I saw and heard, I think I can fit better in San Antonio than anywhere else," Nesterovic said Thursday.

But the Spurs also have the internal issue of trying to patch things up with Parker, who said he believed the team's free agent priorities would change if they won the championship.

"For every player the possibilities always are that we can add more talent and it could change your position, or you could be here forever, or you could get traded. It happens for every player, and we've tried to school him in his two years in all these areas," Popovich said.

"We thought we made him understand."

Popovich, speaking to The Associated Press, said the Spurs are now looking at one or two trades to upgrade their offensive talent, then will add a backup point guard and an additional big man.

Because the Spurs are so far under the salary cap, they have flexibility in trade talks because they do not have to take an equal amount of salary in return.

"Yeah, I think there are some bodies out there, but other teams have to be willing," he said. "We need people to fit the way we play, and that's what we're really looking for more than anything."

Popovich said there was no truth to reports that the New York Knicks offered Latrell Sprewell for Manu Ginobili, going so far as to say Ginobili is all but untouchable.

He said the Spurs were resigned to losing backup point guard Speedy Claxton through free agency, and he indicated that a sign-and-trade scenario involving shooting guard Stephen Jackson is a possibility.

As for the 21-year-old Parker, Popovich said a trade is out of the question despite his disappointment with Parker's comments.

"I think he'll learn from it. If he is who I think he is, he's probably embarrassed right now that he did that, and he probably should be angry at whoever talked him into that because I think it hurt him," Popovich said. "In the end, if we handle this right, he'll be stronger for this and much, much wiser."

Old 07-17-2003, 09:30 PM   #2
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Pop's upset with Parker

Besides the Parker issue, I found several statements that could teach the Mavericks' decision-makers huge lessons.

I see why you bolded all, MFF [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 07-17-2003, 09:31 PM   #3
Mavs_Rule2003

Mavs_Rule2003 is on a distinguished road

Hey Pop..release parker..we will take him! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Mavs_Rule2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 09:52 PM   #4
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Nash and Da Quick(in the playoffs) both averaged better points, assists, and steals then Parker.

I would pick up Parks(Cherokee) before Parker.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #5
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Lesson #1.- Chasing the #1
Quote:
"If you have a chance to talk to the No. 1 pont guard in the whole league, you've got to do it. We didn't think the chances were great, but you still do it," Popovich said.
Lesson #2.- Use your main asset
Quote:
Kidd visited San Antonio for two days, dined with Popovich and Tim Duncan and toured the team's practice facility.
Lesson #3.- Have a backup plan. Save.
Quote:
That left the Spurs to turn to a backup rebuilding plan. San Antonio signed free agent center Rasho Nesterovic on Wednesday and still has more than $10 million in salary cap space available.
Lesson #4.- Convince them (no matter how).
Quote:
"From what I saw and heard, I think I can fit better in San Antonio than anywhere else," Nesterovic said Thursday.
Lesson #5.- Always patch things up.
Quote:
But the Spurs also have the internal issue of trying to patch things up with Parker, who said he believed the team's free agent priorities would change if they won the championship.
Lesson #6.- Add talent whenever it can be possible. The team is the priority, not the players.
Quote:
"For every player the possibilities always are that we can add more talent and it could change your position, or you could be here forever, or you could get traded...."
Lesson #7.- School the players, always.
Quote:
It happens for every player, and we've tried to school him in his two years in all these areas...
Lesson #8.- Upgrade every needed position.
Quote:
Popovich, speaking to The Associated Press, said the Spurs are now looking at one or two trades to upgrade their offensive talent, then will add a backup point guard and an additional big man.
Lesson #9.- Be smart with the money.
Quote:
Because the Spurs are so far under the salary cap, they have flexibility in trade talks because they do not have to take an equal amount of salary in return.
Lesson #10.- Be smart with the system.
Quote:
"Yeah, I think there are some bodies out there, but other teams have to be willing," he said. "We need people to fit the way we play, and that's what we're really looking for more than anything."
Lesson #11.- Make clear your path and position.
Quote:
Popovich said there was no truth to reports that the New York Knicks offered Latrell Sprewell for Manu Ginobili, going so far as to say Ginobili is all but untouchable.
Lesson #12.- Predict. Replan.
Quote:
He said the Spurs were resigned to losing backup point guard Speedy Claxton through free agency, and he indicated that a sign-and-trade scenario involving shooting guard Stephen Jackson is a possibility.
Lesson #13.- Support your players, no matter what.
Quote:
As for the 21-year-old Parker, Popovich said a trade is out of the question despite his disappointment with Parker's comments.
Some of them are very good.

But Popovich consistency is amazing. I mean, with this I can realize that SA have had not only luck.

Old 07-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #6
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Parker , Sjax are both bench warmers in any team. Duncan made them look like stars and it got into their heads now.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough

Amen, look at Bruce Bowen to, he bounced around on teams trying to earn his spot.

And suddenly he becomes the L's best 3-point shooter, and a great defender. Duncan makes players.

Parker barely made the first round, Ginobli didn't.