Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
destroy ALL

destroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nicedestroy ALL is just really nice
Default D-Hare lighting it up again!

On top of Devin's 30 point game against the Hawks a few nights ago, he just got another 30 point game against the Hawks today also with 10 assists. He keeps taking it to the rim and getting fouled. He was 13-14 from the free throw line. I can't believe the Mavs gave up on such a promising talent. Not only that but this years #1 which is so far looking to be a high pick! Rod Thorn >>>>>>>>> Donnie

D.Harris | G | 37:00 | 9-15 | 2-3 | 13-14 | +6| 0| 3 | 3 | 10 | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | 33

Seriously, how much cap room will the Mavs actually have when Kidd is off the books???
destroy ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #2
buddha08

buddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of lightbuddha08 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting to the Line

A huge reason the Mavs suck: They can't get to the Free Throw Line! I simply can't believe we gave up Devin Harris for Kidd! The Mavs are pathetic this year in regard to getting to the charity stripe, something Devin seems more adept at this year than the whole of the present Mavs roster. The Mavs' only offense--jump shots. You can't win like that. I am so disgusted with Donnie and Cuban for dismantling what the Mavs had. They have ruined the Mavs for years to come! Kidd for Harris was a bad trade straight up, not to mention the draft picks and the cash. Idiots......Arghhhhhhh!!!!!
buddha08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

We're already discussing this in the 2008-2009 NBA thread.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
Burn this City

Burn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really niceBurn this City is just really nice

Kidd, then Nash, now Harris. There's like a PG curse with this organization.

Yet for some reason, we can't get rid of JJ Barea???
Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post

LOL major rep.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn this City View Post

you say there is a PG curse I wouldn't call it a curse I'd call your Owner and GM not to good at making a team
basketballgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

how badly could the mavs team use a guy like devin harris?

Quote:
"Confidence does amazing things," Harris said as he tried to explain his sudden scoring surge.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

attention all Devin fans (and basketballgirl25)

step 1: go to google
step 2: search for "new jersey nets forum"
step 3: stay there
Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #9
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

This just makes me angry. Up until his ankle injury, I thought Devin was one of the only bright spots last year (the other being Bass.) And so what do we do? We trade him for a guy a decade older with half his speed. I remember saying last year that Devin had surpassed Josh as our second-best player. I still believe that.

What was the logic behind trading for Kidd again? "Win now." Wasn't that it? What a crock of sh*t that was.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

D-Hare is a terrible nickname.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Is it really any worse than J-ho?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
I think you're burrying the lead.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #13
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

How foolish do the people who wanted Kidd here feel now? Or are they still hiding under the long shot hope that this team might actually turn it around and win us a ring?

I was given a lot of b.s trash talk from so many people when I was bashing this trade when it happened. I take solace in my vindication. Thank you Devin.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
basketballgirl25
Banned

basketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these partsbasketballgirl25 is infamous around these parts

I kind of feel bad for all the Mav fans that hated the Kidd trade, it needed to be done but still

I love the trade I think Carter and Harris play well together, better then Carter and Kidd ever did

and I love what Carter said

"He believes he can make baskets. He believes he can make plays," Carter said. "He's growing into one hell of a point guard."

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/200...ng_surpri.html
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
attention all Devin fans (and basketballgirl25)

step 1: go to google
step 2: search for "new jersey nets forum"
step 3: stay there

Seriously dude Chum's been carrying the Nash torch for four years, the Devin crowd can't carry it for a month?

Last edited by dirno2000; 11-17-2008 at 12:05 AM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #16
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post

Seriously dude Chum's been carrying the Nash torch for four years, the Devin crowd can't carry it for a month?
Chum at least has two MVPs backing him up (eventhough I don't really think Nash deserved those). The Devin crowd has what, three games?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-17-2008 at 12:22 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Three games plus the 251 he played for the Mavs.

But yea, he's no Steven Nash so we probably won't be talking about him four years from now. At this point the wounds are still fresh and every time he drops 30 it's like the knife is being turned a little more so it's only natural to track his progress in the short term.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 AM   #18
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Chum at least has two MVPs backing him up (eventhough I don't really think Nash deserved those). The Devin crowd has what, three games?
that's true.. but either way I was one of those asking for chum to let THAT go, back when he mentioned it all the time.

and the devin trade happened awhile ago. he's had some awwwwwwwful games since then and a few good ones. I don't think it deserves it's own thread at this point.

edit: +pretend rep for the cat pic though

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 11-17-2008 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #19
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha08 View Post
A huge reason the Mavs suck: They can't get to the Free Throw Line! I simply can't believe we gave up Devin Harris for Kidd! The Mavs are pathetic this year in regard to getting to the charity stripe, something Devin seems more adept at this year than the whole of the present Mavs roster. The Mavs' only offense--jump shots. You can't win like that. I am so disgusted with Donnie and Cuban for dismantling what the Mavs had. They have ruined the Mavs for years to come! Kidd for Harris was a bad trade straight up, not to mention the draft picks and the cash. Idiots......Arghhhhhhh!!!!!
I felt the same way. I knew it was going to be a bust. I can't believe they made that trade. What were they thinking? Sad days as a Mav fan.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #20
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
Three games plus the 251 he played for the Mavs.

But yea, he's no Steven Nash so we probably won't be talking about him four years from now. At this point the wounds are still fresh and every time he drops 30 it's like the knife is being turned a little more so it's only natural to track his progress in the short term.
You follow basketball at all levels, so I know you know. You know that Harris is not really a point guard, but is an undersized off guard. You know that Deron Williams would run circles around him at the one, as long as you wanted to keep the game going.

And you also know that Steve Nash would run circles around Deron Williams. I'm pretty sure that you know who the players are, who they have been, and who they can be. It's a good little run that Harris is presently on, but your scout's eye knows the real deal.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM   #21
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about this point on Stevie running circles around Deron. If you want to make the case about the last few years, I'm not going to argue with you. But I get the feeling once Deron gets healthy, there will be a changing of the guard in the West, so to speak.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 11-17-2008 at 01:07 AM.
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #22
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If Deron reaches that level, good on him. Harris never will.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 AM   #23
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
You follow basketball at all levels, so I know you know. You know that Harris is not really a point guard, but is an undersized off guard. You know that Deron Williams would run circles around him at the one, as long as you wanted to keep the game going.

And you also know that Steve Nash would run circles around Deron Williams. I'm pretty sure that you know who the players are, who they have been, and who they can be. It's a good little run that Harris is presently on, but your scout's eye knows the real deal.
No, he's not a natural pass first point guard. He didn't start running the point at Wisconsin until his junior year so he still has a ways to go. But i've said before that I don't see much evidence that you need an elite passer to win in the NBA.

There's only one Deron Williams and Devin will likely never be on his level but here's an important point to keep in mind: The (for lack of a better term) "contribution to the whole" gap between Devin and Deron was much smaller than the talent gap. Nobody else on this team is capable of doing what Devin did so he was more important than he probably should have been.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #24
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this was a typo thread for DeMarcus.

What a joke.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #25
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
No, he's not a natural pass first point guard. He didn't start running the point at Wisconsin until his junior year so he still has a ways to go. But i've said before that I don't see much evidence that you need an elite passer to win in the NBA.

There's only one Deron Williams and Devin will likely never be on his level but here's an important point to keep in mind: The (for lack of a better term) "contribution to the whole" gap between Devin and Deron was much smaller than the talent gap. Nobody else on this team is capable of doing what Devin did so he was more important than he probably should have been.
Well, somebody does have to run the point. If the Mavs get anywhere, it will be because Kidd can run the point. You watched the Cowboys with Johnson, and tonight with Romo. You've gotta have a quarterback.

If the best thing your point guard is offiering is that he can do some work as an off guard, you have no quarterback.

Harris is playing like an off guard, and you know that.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #26
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quarterback isn't half as important in basketball as it is in football.

I love nothing more than watching a PG that knows how to run a team but the way the NBA is set you you don't need one. You need great players. Position is secondary.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:45 AM   #27
Zki41

Zki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to allZki41 is a name known to all

Point guards can potentially have the power to influence everyone around them and make their team better, but it's like dirno2000 said, position is secondary, you need good players. Look at Chris Paul and some of the key members of the Hornets, like James Posey, Peja, David West, etc. Those guys are effective without Chris Paul, to an extent, but with Chris Paul, the offense he creates makes that team deadly.
Zki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #28
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Well, somebody does have to run the point. If the Mavs get anywhere, it will be because Kidd can run the point. You watched the Cowboys with Johnson, and tonight with Romo. You've gotta have a quarterback.
Doesn't seem to hurt the Spurs any. Tony Parker is no quarterback. He and Harris really have about the same skill set, except Harrs is better defensively and he's a better 3 point shooter.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #29
basketballgirl25
Banned

I heard Nets are considering looking into drafting another point guard in 2009 because they don't think Harris is a ture point, but the article I read also said the Nets think they can move him to a position where he is still great for the team, it's all a rumor at this point, but if the Nets are smart I know they will use Devin a smart way.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Perhaps we should start a thread every time Devin has a crappy game? (which has happened quite often in New Jersey)

Perhaps creating those threads would justify us trading him? How about when he went 3 for 12 against Goldenstate? Or better yet how about when got frustrated by the utterly stifling defense of Steve Nash and went 2 for 11 with three turnovers? Not to mention Nash shooting 70+ percent while dishing out 11 assists on him and his highly overrated defense.

Meanwhile all Kidd is doing is shooting 46% from the floor, 38% on 3's, playing excellent defense and getting close to a triple double every night.

Some of you guys need to give it a break. Harris is about to be 26 and still isn't a point guard in this league. He's not smart with the ball, he plays eratically and he still doesn't have 3 point range (28% this season, 32% career) His handling and decision making isn't good enough to run the point and his size and lack of strength isn't good enough for the two guard. He's Jason Terry without a shot.

Edit: And yes, D-Hare is a terrible nickname.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 11-17-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Nash = not the problem
Harris = not the problem
Kidd = not the problem

All these guys are solid and could win a title if you surrounded them with the right talent - the point guard position has been one of the strongest spots on the Mavs roster for the last 8 years...

I'd check the shooting guard and center positions for scapegoats (although anyone with half a brain will tell you that the goat escaped to the Mavs front office...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #32
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
Perhaps we should start a thread every time Devin has a crappy game? (which has happened quite often in New Jersey)

Perhaps creating those threads would justify us trading him? How about when he went 3 for 12 against Goldenstate? Or better yet how about when got frustrated by the utterly stifling defense of Steve Nash and went 2 for 11 with three turnovers? Not to mention Nash shooting 70+ percent while dishing out 11 assists on him and his highly overrated defense.

Meanwhile all Kidd is doing is shooting 46% from the floor, 38% on 3's, playing excellent defense and getting close to a triple double every night.

Some of you guys need to give it a break. Harris is about to be 26 and still isn't a point guard in this league. He's not smart with the ball, he plays eratically and he still doesn't have 3 point range (28% this season, 32% career) His handling and decision making isn't good enough to run the point and his size and lack of strength isn't good enough for the two guard. He's Jason Terry without a shot.

Edit: And yes, D-Hare is a terrible nickname.
an intelligent post.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #33
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nash = not the problem
Harris = not the problem
Kidd = not the problem

All these guys are solid and could win a title if you surrounded them with the right talent - the point guard position has been one of the strongest spots on the Mavs roster for the last 8 years...

I'd check the shooting guard and center positions for scapegoats (although anyone with half a brain will tell you that the goat escaped to the Mavs front office...)
Your post says it all. End of story. Now trying to convince the Mavs organazation on a sg and the fact they need atleast one player on the Dallas Mavs roster that can play offense in the painted area. As we sit still, teams like Denver jump ahead of us with Billups and addresses their very weakness, with them terrible on the 3 point shot and a pg to run the team. Now Billups will help with both. Watch teams in the west tweak and address any major or minor weaknesses thru out the year as we tweak with more Stackhouses, Eddie Jones, or just sit still. It isn't going to be a pretty year this year and it is going to get worse untill the Mavs organazation understand they have no sg or no player on the team that can play half court offense paint ball and then to boot, no one to penetrate in half court. Why this is important is it creates free throw attempts. If Dirk and Howard do what they did last game and have monster years playing very, very physical it will help but they need players around them to make things come easier, not harder. I did like Singleton crashing the boards and trying to be aggressive and physical also. That helps. The jury is out on how good or how bad Singleton and Green are. They have potential but so does Bass.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #34
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Kidd has been good for us, but I can't help but wonder whether Devin's slashing ability would mitigate some of the halfcourt offensive stagnation the Mavs face at times. We were 2nd in offensive efficiency before the Kidd trade I think.

But if we're not winning a title with Kidd, I doubt we were winning a title with 25 YO Devin Harris. This team would be fine with a shooting guard, a low post scoring threat, or a better bench... Harris is neither of these.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with Kidd-for-Harris is that you're trading one strength/weakness for another...

If you're going to trade Devin's slashing ability for Kidd's passing ability (good move), then you also need grab someone who can score in the paint in a second deal (either slasher or low post) - that's where Cuban and Donnie failed...

Jason Kidd isn't the problem so much as the Kidd Trade was the problem - we gave up too much and had nothing left to grab a guy who can do what Devin did, despite getting the best single player out of the deal (and your a blithering idiot if you think a 26-year-old Devin Harris is anywhere near as talented as a 36-year-old Jason Kidd...)

Maybe Gerald Green will end up bringing what Devin brought, but it's still too early to tell... In the meantime, we still have another trade to make if the front office wants to back up their "win now" mantra...

Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #36
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
(and your a blithering idiot if you think a 26-year-old Devin Harris is anywhere near as talented as a 36-year-old Jason Kidd...)
Devin Harris isn't as talented as Kidd, but when you look at it this way it doesn't take one person to win it takes and team to win so it really doesn't matter who is better, trust me I was pissed when the Kidd trade happened but then I thought about it and realized if we have other great players then it doesn't matter. I mean think of it this way Kidd could be the best player in the NBA, but if he doesn't have the right players with him he isn't going to be good
Old 11-17-2008, 03:41 PM   #37
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghazi View Post
Kidd has been good for us, but I can't help but wonder whether Devin's slashing ability would mitigate some of the halfcourt offensive stagnation the Mavs face at times.
I'm not sure how you can suggest this. Our biggest problem ever since the 3rd game against Miami has been halfcourt offensive stagnation. Yes, Devin was able to drive (and finish sometimes) in the halfcourt, but it didn't help the overall problem.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #38
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
Devin Harris isn't as talented as Kidd, but when you look at it this way it doesn't take one person to win it takes and team to win so it really doesn't matter who is better, trust me I was pissed when the Kidd trade happened but then I thought about it and realized if we have other great players then it doesn't matter. I mean think of it this way Kidd could be the best player in the NBA, but if he doesn't have the right players with him he isn't going to be good
LeBron has been pretty good while playing with trash.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #39
basketballgirl25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
LeBron has been pretty good while playing with trash.
well Lebron is Lebron he is just one heck of a guy something Kidd was never and Harris will never be
Old 11-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #40
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballgirl25 View Post
well Lebron is Lebron he is just one heck of a guy something Kidd was never and Harris will never be
Yeah, because Kidd did NOTHING to have people call him a Hall of Famer before he's even retired...

I hate your mother for being pro-life...

Tags
worst thread ever