Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 AM   #1
some-dude

some-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura aboutsome-dude has a spectacular aura about
Default First Round Picks Graded

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9530187
----------------------------------------

Dallas got a C, which I think is too harsh. Only A+ went to Utah Jazz. Knicks among other teams got an F. LoL @ the Knicks
some-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

What are you talking about NYK got a C-

Bulls get Tyrus Thomas and Khyrapa for LaMarcus Aldridge and get a C-?

Seattle a C (the same as us) for using the 10th pick for a DJ MBenga clone (Belgium and all)

Orlando with a B for Reddick?

Chicago gets an F for the Swiss kid and the writer obviously knows nothing about him

Boston only gets a C for getting Rajon for only cash? The guy is a monster. 55pts, 7 assists in high school (Diop's!), as well as multiple games with 25+ assists. He's tough as nails too.

Portland gets an A for Sergio rodriguez-- who the writer knows nothing about (an F to Chicago for the same thing), and they spend even less money than Boston who got a C for Rajon (who is more of a monster). Makes you wonder-- if a team picks up a guy that the reviewer knows nothing about, what should the default score be and if a team gets something for nothing, should credit be given to all such occurances? They also then get an F for drafting a promising prospect in Freeland with the last pick of the first?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-29-2006 at 02:47 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Hmm, so given our big man situation, why did we go for a combo guard?
Old 06-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Hmm, so given our big man situation, why did we go for a combo guard?
We went for a guard BECAUSE of our big man situation.

We're pretty much set on the bigs.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Right. So out of five guys we have under contract who is Dirks backup? *still scratching his head*
Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 AM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

If we drafted a backup for Dirk, we'd have gotten even more guff.

"why did the Mavs draft a guy who will only ever play 5 minutes a game, when they really need a starting shooting guard and a pass first point guard that can run the offense"
Old 06-29-2006, 06:21 AM   #7
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Yeah, but guards come a dime a dozen and I doubt our Rook is starting material for now.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:27 AM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

yeah....and there were at least 5 or 10 power forwards in that draft class that immediately would be both ready and would inspire so much confidence in Avery that he would take Dirk off the floor in order to let them play.....
Old 06-29-2006, 06:34 AM   #9
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Then why didn´t we draft one of those?

Dunno, just a bit disappointed about the Mavs Draft day ... had some hope to combine Quis and the #28 into something utilizable like Cedric Williams. But you´re right, all useful big guys were pretty much gone by #17, and we could have done alot worse (do I hear New York?).
Old 06-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #10
DNNF
Golden Member

DNNF will become famous soon enoughDNNF will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Then why didn´t we draft one of those?

Dunno, just a bit disappointed about the Mavs Draft day ... had some hope to combine Quis and the #28 into something utilizable like Cedric Williams. But you´re right, all useful big guys were pretty much gone by #17, and we could have done alot worse (do I hear New York?).

Guess you are one of those also disappointed when we drafted Howard too right? You should always draft the best available at late position.
DNNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I can definitely see Josh Powell being Dirk's backup this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNNF
Guess you are one of those also disappointed when we drafted Howard too right? You should always draft the best available at late position.
Nope, I wasn´t, but Howard was coming with an entirely different "history and background". Our current rook is coming off a so-so year while Howard was coming off a rock solid and promising season.

What I´ve read so far about our guy is interesting, and might be a good fit for our needs, but it´s nothing more than the usual rookie hype to me till I´ve see him on the floor. I know this board is bad when it comes to beeing neutral, every new guy is hyped beyond believe (as it ever was) and every guy leaving is quickly marked as a spare who we should have gotten rid of earlier, still - looking at our roster, Terry, Harris, Griffin (I think we should keep him btw), Quis, Stackhouse and Howard who could play the swingman or guard positions on opposite to Dirk, Josh Powell and Benga ... well, I just think that´s a hole at the PF.

If there would have been a guy arond to fill that backup PF slot in the rookie season (which wasn´t), I think it would have been a big mistake to pass on him to get in the guy who we did take.

I´d still prefer packaging him and Quis for one of the PF´s around #16 or higher, but guess that´s out of the picture, so we´ll have to see how we will that PF thingy in FA. Maybe there´s something in the works (at least Quis and Stackhouse become tradeable with the addition of the Rook).
Old 06-29-2006, 09:06 AM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
What are you talking about NYK got a C-

Bulls get Tyrus Thomas and Khyrapa for LaMarcus Aldridge and get a C-?

Seattle a C (the same as us) for using the 10th pick for a DJ MBenga clone (Belgium and all)

Orlando with a B for Reddick?

Chicago gets an F for the Swiss kid and the writer obviously knows nothing about him

Boston only gets a C for getting Rajon for only cash? The guy is a monster. 55pts, 7 assists in high school (Diop's!), as well as multiple games with 25+ assists. He's tough as nails too.

Portland gets an A for Sergio rodriguez-- who the writer knows nothing about (an F to Chicago for the same thing), and they spend even less money than Boston who got a C for Rajon (who is more of a monster). Makes you wonder-- if a team picks up a guy that the reviewer knows nothing about, what should the default score be and if a team gets something for nothing, should credit be given to all such occurances? They also then get an F for drafting a promising prospect in Freeland with the last pick of the first?

Typical lazy-ass journalist.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Not me, not yet. He's going to have to make a heck of a lot more impact when on the court than he did last year then. He and Rawle really looked like rookies out there, just hanging around.

Marquis/Keith didn't lot a lot better late. That's 4 spots that could use some upgrading.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-29-2006, 09:08 AM   #15
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Really? What shows you that?
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Nope, I wasn´t, but Howard was coming with an entirely different "history and background". Our current rook is coming off a so-so year while Howard was coming off a rock solid and promising season.

What I´ve read so far about our guy is interesting, and might be a good fit for our needs, but it´s nothing more than the usual rookie hype to me till I´ve see him on the floor. I know this board is bad when it comes to beeing neutral, every new guy is hyped beyond believe (as it ever was) and every guy leaving is quickly marked as a spare who we should have gotten rid of earlier, still - looking at our roster, Terry, Harris, Griffin (I think we should keep him btw), Quis, Stackhouse and Howard who could play the swingman or guard positions on opposite to Dirk, Josh Powell and Benga ... well, I just think that´s a hole at the PF.

If there would have been a guy arond to fill that backup PF slot in the rookie season (which wasn´t), I think it would have been a big mistake to pass on him to get in the guy who we did take.

I´d still prefer packaging him and Quis for one of the PF´s around #16 or higher, but guess that´s out of the picture, so we´ll have to see how we will that PF thingy in FA. Maybe there´s something in the works (at least Quis and Stackhouse become tradeable with the addition of the Rook).

I looked at all of the videos of him last night and came away unimpressed. Of course it was nothing but offense and that won't get him on the court anyway.

If he can play some D and hit an open jumper he'll be an upgrade from griffin, in spots. But not much it doesn't appear to me unless he "gets it".
Old 06-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that analysis SUCKS. the guy is waaaaaaay too liberal with the F's, especially in regards to the bulls swiss pick.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Not me, not yet. He's going to have to make a heck of a lot more impact when on the court than he did last year then. He and Rawle really looked like rookies out there, just hanging around.

Marquis/Keith didn't lot a lot better late. That's 4 spots that could use some upgrading.
Well, I lot like Devin in his rookie year, I think he was scared to make a mistake. He had so little playing time, he was just trying to be in position and not screw up.

But Josh Powell has a lot of potential. If he had stayed in school he probably would have been a fairly high draft pick. Certainly a first rounder.

He has a very, very good mid range jumper. And he's a great rebounder, very athletic.

Assuming he continues to learn the system, I really do think he'll be the backup PF this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 11:04 AM   #19
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But Josh Powell has a lot of potential. If he had stayed in school he probably would have been a fairly high draft pick. Certainly a first rounder.

He has a very, very good mid range jumper. And he's a great rebounder, very athletic.

Assuming he continues to learn the system, I really do think he'll be the backup PF this year.
I think so too -- Powell's good for 8-10 minutes a game in my estimation (with the qualification that my estimation is generally worthless).

As for Ager....

Avery seemed to generally like the pick, and that's encouraging. But I don't have any expectations. A 2nd-Team Big Ten guy just isn't likely to make any huge difference...no expectations at all this season. If he's good for 10-20 minutes a game in his second season, I'll be pretty happy.

Cheers
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
Locked_Up_Tonight
Platinum Member

Locked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to beholdLocked_Up_Tonight is a splendid one to behold

This came from Foxsports.com:

Dallas Mavericks

First round (28): Maurice Ager, G, 6-5, 205, Michigan State
Second round (58, J.R. Pinnock traded to the Los Angeles Lakers for a 2007 second round pick)

The skinny: The way the Mavs build a roster, it's almost as if they could have no draft picks and still outmaneuver teams in free agency to have a better draft nice. Ager was a steal. Donnie Nelson and his staff strike again with another guy who will help the team down the road. Grade: B.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:25 PM   #21
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I particularly like getting the 2nd rounder in 2007 which as we all know will be a better draft. It also gives them more flexibility to make a trade during the draft next year. Mavs should get at least a B. There were really only a couple of guys in this draft that could have helped them next year. 19 or 20 year old projects won't. We'll see most of teams with the lottery picks right back there next year drafting the "next" big thing and usually winding up with squat. I like the Mavs approach. Draft the best available player regardless of position. Every time they seem to draft a college senior they make out like bandits.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
I think so too -- Powell's good for 8-10 minutes a game in my estimation (with the qualification that my estimation is generally worthless).

As for Ager....

Avery seemed to generally like the pick, and that's encouraging. But I don't have any expectations. A 2nd-Team Big Ten guy just isn't likely to make any huge difference...no expectations at all this season. If he's good for 10-20 minutes a game in his second season, I'll be pretty happy.

Cheers

Josh is going to have to show a ton more aggressiveness on the court than I've seen. I actually think you are correct in that he seems to move well, big and can hit a wide open shot out to about 18feet.

I think most of it is between his ears. I heard that he's a beast on the practice court, he needs to bring a whole lotta that to the court because he needs to understand that he's not in there to defer, fill space, whatever, he's there to contribute and that means taking his shots when open and being aggressive.

He has to "get it" or he won't be on the court for anyone.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 PM   #23
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Terrible grades, Dallas definetly deserves at least a B for Ager.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Well, I lot like Devin in his rookie year, I think he was scared to make a mistake. He had so little playing time, he was just trying to be in position and not screw up.

I think any analysis of a player that starts, "If he learns. . ." means they aren't ready to backup Dirk.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:25 PM   #25
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
I think any analysis of a player that starts, "If he learns. . ." means they aren't ready to backup Dirk.
Stackhouse played starter minutes for us and we came up with a list of maybe 15 different things that Stackhouse needs to learn.

That said, Powell has averything we need except the one thing we need-- production on the NBA court during a game.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-29-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #26
samoan-maverickII

samoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to allsamoan-maverickII is a name known to all

^ FUNNAY.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:19 AM   #27
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Powell can give Dirk a breather for 5 minutes... thats production, right?
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #28
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Steve Kerr's Grades

Draft report card

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
June 29, 2006

With no clear No. 1 choice and not a single "sure thing," teams were scrambling all over the place at the NBA draft Wednesday night. Some clubs moved up, some moved down and some dropped all the way out of the draft just to avoid salary cap problems.

As always, it will take at least a season to truly evaluate each team's performance – but that is particularly true this year. Who really knows how this will all play out? After all, did anyone realize how good Josh Howard was going to be as the 29th selection in the 2003 draft? And did anyone really know that Marvin Williams would be so mediocre in his first season as a Hawk?

But at first glance, it appears the two big winners in this year's draft were Chicago and Portland. Each team added a couple of potential impact players that could help change the fortunes of their respective franchises. LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy just might bring the Trail Blazers out of the doldrums, while Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefalosha could catapult the Bulls into the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference. But of course, only time will tell.

Here's a look at each team's draft-night performance, complete with grades:

Atlanta Hawks: C
Shelden Williams will be a nice player, but the Hawks probably could have gotten him much lower. With guys like Randy Foye, Rudy Gay and Brandon Roy still on the board at that point, the Hawks were in a very desirable spot with plenty of options available. But Williams was their guy and they went with him. Atlanta still doesn't have a point guard, though, and if Foye turns out to be special, Atlanta will have passed up on another opportunity (after not selecting Chris Paul last year).

Boston Celtics: Incomplete
Something fishy is going on here. Why trade the No. 7 pick for Sebastian Telfair and then make another move for the 21st pick (Rajon Rondo)? Adding two small point guards to a roster that already includes Delonte West? There has to be another deal in the works – perhaps involving Allen Iverson. So we'll hold off on the grade until we see what general manager Danny Ainge does from here. But if this is it for Boston, it makes no sense, particularly with so many good players available at No. 7. Leon Powe was a nice pickup in the second round. He's undersized for a four and has had a history of knee problems, but he was a terrific college player and well worth a second-round pick.

Charlotte Bobcats: A
They had plenty of options at No. 3, but they went with Adam Morrison. He may not be the greatest athlete, but he's a wonderful player, a nasty competitor and a guy who will sell some tickets in Charlotte. And he'll put up a lot of points for a team that needs scoring. Ryan Hollins from UCLA was a good second-round selection after a very good senior season. He can be a shot-blocking presence.

Chicago Bulls: A
The Bulls got the guy they wanted in Tyrus Thomas, but they duped Portland into swapping the second and fourth picks and adding a second-round pick and Victor Khryapa to the deal. Then they moved up to get the big guard they needed, Swiss star Thabo Sefalosha. John Paxson did exactly what he wanted and dramatically improved his club. Thomas could become a dominant, versatile defender, and Sefalosha gives Chicago the big defender they'll need in the East to deal with LeBron James for the next 10 years. Overall, it was a terrific draft for the up-and-coming Bulls.

Cleveland Cavaliers: A
Considering the Cavaliers didn't pick until No. 25, they did pretty well. Getting Shannon Brown has to feel good for Danny Ferry, who wanted to upgrade an aging backcourt. Brown can help Cleveland right away, and Daniel Gibson gives the Cavaliers another athletic, versatile guard.

Dallas Mavericks: C+
The Mavericks were hoping to move up in the draft and unload Marquis Daniels' contract, but they could not pull it off. Instead, they took Maurice Ager at No. 28 and hope to eventually move Daniels. Ager would be a good replacement as a strong two guard.

Denver Nuggets: C
The Nuggets had nothing to work with, possessing only a late second-rounder which they traded away, so there wasn't much they could do. But with salary cap issues and a big contract coming up for Carmelo Anthony, getting out was the right choice.

Detroit Pistons: C
Not much you can do when you have one pick, and it's the very last pick in the draft. But the Pistons may have added a guard who can make their roster in Will Blalock. I'm not sure about trading Maurice Evans for a 7-foot project who will stay in Europe (Cheick Samb), but apparently Evans didn't fit into the equation.

Golden State Warriors: D
The NBA is undergoing a transformation and is being dominated by quick, versatile swingmen. Why go with 7-footer Patrick O'Bryant when guys like Ronnie Brewer, Rodney Carney, Thabo Sefalosha and J.J. Redick are available? This was a "need" pick for the Warriors, as was second-round center Kosta Perovic, but to me, there's not that much need for 7-foot projects these days. The game is too fast.

Houston Rockets: B+
People will question trading Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier, but Battier is a high-character scrapper who will knock down big shots and defend anyone. He'll complement Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady well and make the Rockets much tougher. Steve Novak is a lights-out shooter who will make opponents pay for doubling Yao and T-Mac. For a veteran team that needs toughness and defense, I'll take the proven Battier over the potential of Gay any day.

Indiana Pacers: C
Indiana has had major character issues the past few seasons, and there has been talk about changing the culture. So why take a gamble on the gifted but enigmatic Shawne Williams, particularly when the Pacers already have a guy they love – Danny Granger – at his position? Most scouts felt the draft was 16 deep, so perhaps Indiana felt like it could take a gamble at 17. But if you want to change the character of your team, why not go with a guy like Shannon Brown or Rajon Rondo?

Los Angeles Clippers: B
Two second-round picks were used on guys who could be assets. Paul Davis is a big man from Michigan State who shoots the ball well enough to be in the league for a while. He's a Michael Doleac type. Guillermo Diaz is an undersized, athletic combo guard – "the Puerto Rican Steve Francis," one team executive called him. Neither will play much for the Clips, but both have some value. The Clips did well.

Los Angeles Lakers: B
The Lakers filled some needs in the backcourt, drafting hometown kid Jordan Farmar for the point and trading for Maurice Evans, an athletic wing player who could play right away. Farmar will have a difficult time finding time next season because Phil Jackson generally doesn't play rookies, but he could eventually become a solid player for L.A.

Memphis Grizzlies: B
Rudy Gay might be the most talented player in the draft, but he might also turn out to be an unmotivated disappointment. But Jerry West needed to shake things up after another first-round playoff sweep, and Gay will stir some interest in Memphis. He has star potential. Swift was a disappointment the first time around in Memphis, so it's tough to see him suddenly turning into a star. Kyle Lowry is a tough point guard who will provide backup relief to Damon Stoudamire – and may make Bobby Jackson expendable.

Miami Heat: C
The Heat's first-round pick went to the Lakers as part of the Shaquille O'Neal trade, and they didn't have a second-rounder, either. So Pat Riley and his staff probably sat back, watched the draft and opened up another bottle of Dom Perignon.

Milwaukee Bucks: B
Another team that didn't have much to work with, but the Bucks made the most of it. David Noel is a four-year player from North Carolina, so he'll be well-schooled. He's also extremely athletic at the wing position. Damir Markota is a Croatian wing shooter who will play in Europe for a while in order to develop.

Minnesota Timberwolves: A
Randy Foye is an electrifying player. He's a bit of a 'tweener as a guard, but he's an explosive backcourt man Minnesota needs. He's a terrific ball handler with great strength and the ability to make plays in the paint. The Wolves have been vanilla the last couple of seasons, so I like this pick a lot. Foye will step in right away and provide scoring and excitement.

New Jersey Nets: B+
With two late first-round picks, the Nets were thrilled when Marcus Williams fell into their laps. He should provide the backup to Jason Kidd that New Jersey needs. Josh Boone is an enigma, but he has length and athleticism. Also, Hassan Adams was a good second-round choice – a high-flying athlete who can really get out and run.

New Orleans Hornets: A-
The Hornets addressed some needs with a couple of solid big men. Hilton Armstrong is an athletic shot blocker, and Cedric Simmons also provides major athleticism down low. Perhaps Rodney Carney would have been a better pick at 15, but you can't argue against the improvement the Hornets made to their front line.

New York Knicks: D
Isiah Thomas was not in a position of strength with two late first-round picks, and he was unable to move up. But Renaldo Balkman probably could have been had in the second round. Why not take a player with more value – Shannon Brown, Marcus Williams or Rajon Rondo, for example – and trade him? Mardy Collins from Temple is fine, but he didn't wow anyone in predraft workouts. Neither Collins or Balkman is likely to crack the rotation for New York, so what's the point of taking them? The Knicks could have done better.

Orlando Magic: A
J.J. Redick is one of the best shooters in the world, a basketball junkie and someone the Magic can sell to their fans. He'll be a good NBA player for 12 years and will complement Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic nicely. Sure, Ronnie Brewer or Thabo Sefalosha might have been better fits as big guards next to the tiny Jameer Nelson, and Redick and Nelson may struggle to guard people. But they do have two 7-footers behind them ready to block shots and erase mistakes on the perimeter. Redick was a great pick, and James Augustine will make the roster as a second-rounder. All in all, it was a very good draft for Otis Smith.

Philadelphia: B
Rodney Carney is a freak athlete and will delight the fans in Philly with his highlight-reel dunks. He and Andre Igoudala on the wings is a pretty scary thought. But Thabo Sefalosha is a better ball handler with point guard skills, and if the Sixers are really going to trade Allen Iverson, Sefalosha might have been the better fit. Still, trading for Carney was a good decision. Bobby Jones is a solid wing defender – something you can't have enough of these days.

Phoenix Suns: C
The Suns wanted to use their two late first-round selections to move up the board and grab Thabo Sefalosha, but they were unsuccessful in their attempts. With nobody left that wowed them, they traded out of the draft altogether, adding a first-rounder in a deeper draft next year and clearing salary cap room that will most likely allow them to re-sign free agent Tim Thomas. For a team interested in winning a title next season, two late first-round picks weren't going to help much, so this was about as good as the Suns were going to do barring a deal to move up.

Portland Trail Blazers: A-
The Trail Blazers want to overhaul the roster and build a new culture, and they're off to a good start. LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy are potential stars, and unloading Telfair clears up a crowded backcourt. Portland fans might be upset that their team didn't take Adam Morrison, and winning over the public would have been a pretty good idea for the Blazers, but Aldridge is 6-11, can run and block shots. And many consider Roy the best player in the draft.

Sacramento Kings: B
Critics will say that Geoff Petrie should have made a "need" pick and taken a point guard like Rajon Rondo or Marcus Williams. But Quincy Douby is one of the best shooters in the draft and is an explosive (albeit small) guard. He can score in bunches and I think he'll have a better career than any of the point guards taken behind him. Maybe the Kings didn't need him (they have Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia at his position), but Petrie has been ahead of the curve on most of his draft picks over the years. I'm guessing he was this time as well.

San Antonio Spurs: C
With just one second-rounder and a full roster, the Spurs weren't in the market for rookies who might not even make the team. So they traded out of the draft altogether. Boring, yes, but it was the right thing to do.

Seattle SuperSonics: C
Another 7-foot project? That's what they got at No. 10 in Saer Sene, who will stand next to Robert Swift and Johan Petro to form the "All-Airport Team" in Seattle. Sene could become a very good shot blocker, but at No. 10, there were plenty of guys available, including J.J. Redick, Ronnie Brewer, Rodney Carney and Thabo Sefalosha. I don't get it.

Toronto Raptors: B+
Andrea Bargnani isn't exacty a sure thing – he only averaged 11 points and four rebounds in 22 minutes a game for Benetton Treviso, after all – but he has a lot of potential. This is a draft that will take a while to evaluate, depending on his development. Bryan Colangelo had hoped to trade down and still take Bargnani, but nothing came up that he liked. P.J. Tucker is a physical, defensive-minded player and a good second-round choice, but the Raptors weren't able to find a point guard – a postion of need with Mike James most likely departing.

Utah Jazz: A
Ronnie Brewer is just what Utah needed – a big guard who can make plays and defend multiple positions. He and Deron Williams will be a fantastic combination. Dee Brown can play some backup point, and maybe even next to Williams at times in a small-ball situation. The two were terrific together at Illinois, with Williams allowing Brown to play off the ball as a shooter, a role in which he's more comfortable. Another second-rounder – Paul Millsap – is a power forward who went to Louisiana Tech, so naturally everyone compares him to Karl Malone. I don't get it. Should we automatically compare every UCLA center to Kareem?

Washington Wizards: C-
At No. 18, the Wizards were in a tough spot. No one was willing to trade out of the top 16, so they were stuck with leftovers. Oleksiy Pecherov has some potential as a perimeter-shooting big man who can put the ball on the floor a bit, but the 18th pick was high for him. Many people had him pegged as a second-rounder.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 06-30-2006, 01:46 AM   #29
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Josh is going to have to show a ton more aggressiveness on the court than I've seen. I actually think you are correct in that he seems to move well, big and can hit a wide open shot out to about 18feet.

I think most of it is between his ears. I heard that he's a beast on the practice court, he needs to bring a whole lotta that to the court because he needs to understand that he's not in there to defer, fill space, whatever, he's there to contribute and that means taking his shots when open and being aggressive.

He has to "get it" or he won't be on the court for anyone.

if anything, i wish he'd shoot less from the 3 line. he's not a great 3 shooter, but he insists on shooting them (especially in the Champ Finals).
Old 06-30-2006, 01:47 AM   #30
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Stackhouse played starter minutes for us and we came up with a list of maybe 15 different things that Stackhouse needs to learn.

That said, Powell has averything we need except the one thing we need-- production on the NBA court during a game.
he's a rook though.

he played a few games and looked very good, but he also had some really bad games...i mean, horrible games (as you well know).

give the kid some time.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 AM   #31
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I think we should give him time-- I've heard some incredible things about Powell and when I saw him play in Vegas Summer League he looked like a combination of a smaller Amare and the Worm. Just a great, tenacious, high-energy player. He didn't take jumpers though-- it was all back-to-the-basket low-post stuff. He was also an incredible jumper and had the summer league defenses not been so compacted, he'd probably have completed a couple alley-oops.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-30-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 AM   #32
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat
if anything, i wish he'd shoot less from the 3 line. he's not a great 3 shooter, but he insists on shooting them (especially in the Champ Finals).
Huh? I'm thinking Josh Powell here.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 AM   #33
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

anybody else planning to go see J-Po & friends tomorrow night against Team Nigeria? can't beat the price of admission. i'll be the guy there with the wife who looks like she's about to have a baby at any moment...
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:46 AM   #34
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
anybody else planning to go see J-Po & friends tomorrow night against Team Nigeria? can't beat the price of admission. i'll be the guy there with the wife who looks like she's about to have a baby at any moment...
that might not be too bad a thing....
Old 06-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #35
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

yeah--but the due date's still a month away.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:34 PM   #36
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

I wish we had taken allan ray with the second pick. I cant fathom how he didnt get drafted. I like ager, he seems like a great guy. The sonics are nuts. But then again maybe they are equating big men to pitching in baseball-basically expect one out of every 3 prospects to pan out.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #37
mkat
Platinum Member

Quote:
Huh? I'm thinking Josh Powell here.
sorry. i thought you were talking about Howard.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #38
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

2006 Draft: Dallas Mavericks Team Grade

By DraftExpress.com, special to Rivals.com

Draft grade: B

Picks: Maurice Ager (28)

The last few picks of the first round are considered some of the least valuable to have in a draft like this, but the Mavs got themselves a player who could certainly be a rotation type by the end of his rookie deal. Ager fits in with Avery Johnson’s tough and hardworking mentality. Ager’s attitude on and off the court will never clash with Dallas’ stars. With Jerry Stackhouse becoming a free agent next summer and Marquis Daniels clearly on the block, Ager could even get some playing time in the near future if he manages to beat out Rawle Marshall and Adrian Griffin.

The Mavs converted their extremely late second rounder into a much more valuable 2007 pick. That was a smart move by a team that doesn’t have many roster spots to spare. The Mavs could certainly get a player that is just as talented in the undrafted free agent pool.

Old 07-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #39
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

"Portland Trail Blazers: A-
The Trail Blazers want to overhaul the roster and build a new culture, and they're off to a good start. LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy are potential stars, and unloading Telfair clears up a crowded backcourt. Portland fans might be upset that their team didn't take Adam Morrison, and winning over the public would have been a pretty good idea for the Blazers, but Aldridge is 6-11, can run and block shots. And many consider Roy the best player in the draft."

After reading his explination, I can't see how the Blazers didn't get an A+.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #40
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Right. So out of five guys we have under contract who is Dirks backup? *still scratching his head*
Update: Croshere.

Now we have two proven vets and at least one development guy at the PF and C positions

Diop/Damp/DJ
Dirk/Croshere/Powell