Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default When West and Haywood come back...

Mavs will obviously have a ton more options I love Rick but it's time to stop using the Kidd/VC backcourt it doesn't work on either end. Evertime VC is on the floor (whether at 2 or 3) I think West or Roddy have to be, also would be nice if he stops shooting so jump shots. Haywood is going to be such an added pressence if you have been focusing on center defense (as I have) you can tell Ian has been beyond bad defensivly when penetration is headed his way. Also no more Odom/Dirk lineups and hopefully when they return much less Odom on the floor.

Ideal rotation
PG: Kidd 28/West 14/ Jet 6
SG: West 16/Jet 20/Roddy 12
SF: Marion 32/Vince 16
PF: Dirk 36/ Lamar 12
C: Haywood 32/Mahinmi/Wright 16
Old 03-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Like i said, most of the struggling is because West is injured. Brought so much to the table, damn.
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how things turn out over a season. Haywood is underappreciated all the way, because you always think of Tyson in the back of your head. West not only has played well, but allows the Mavs to use much more lineups that are favorable. Move Carter to the backup 3, relieve him and Marion of big minutes and stuff.

I disagree on JET as point though. West should entirely backup Kidd and then you have the option to adjust playing times between Terry and Roddy depending on who's playing better.

Last edited by j0Shi; 03-11-2012 at 07:24 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Haywood is great but his health is very shaky. Minor things can stop him for days and weeks An ankle sprain, lower back, knee issue...and he might be done for a whole playoff series. Like last year vs. MIA.

He is not a quick healer, that's for sure.

ps:

Ideal rotation
PG: Kidd 20/West 24/ Jet 4
SG: West 10/Jet 28/Roddy 10
PF: Dirk 36/ Wright 12

Last edited by markus1234; 03-11-2012 at 07:40 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Haywood is great but his health is very shaky. Minor things can stop him for days and weeks An ankle sprain, lower back, knee issue...and he might be done for a whole playoff series. Like last year vs. MIA.

He is not a quick healer, that's for sure.

ps:

Ideal rotation
PG: Kidd 20/West 24/ Jet 4
SG: West 10/Jet 28/Roddy 10
PF: Dirk 36/ Wright 12
He's not a quick much of anything. See the lack of jump balls won. I don't know when was the last time I've seen dirk ask to touch the ball after a tip. I wonder if he will still ask for it if we win a tip, it's been so long.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
Like i said, most of the struggling is because West is injured. Brought so much to the table, damn.
No he didn't. Thing is, our offense sucks all year long, no matter who plays. That's the sad reality about our offense. We were able to win games thanks to our defense, which went to absolute s**t, once Haywood was out. Our offense won't improve, unless numerous players starts to play better, and Haywood can be a more effective screener.

If you guys really think West will be a difference maker, that tells me 2 things, you didn't watch our games carefully enough when he was playing, and/or we're in a really sad state.

The guy had a handful of good games this year, and has basically the same scoring numbers (on volume, and effectiveness as well) as Roddy, virtually giving out the same assist per game PER36, with slightly more turnovers. I would also argue that Roddy played better defense this year. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Roddy was great, what i'm saying West is basically giving us the same painfully average production from the guard spot, even as a PG. If you really think we're gonna be a much better team because of Delonte freakin' West, well, as i said, we're really in a sad state at the moment.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
No he didn't. Thing is, our offense sucks all year long, no matter who plays. That's the sad reality about our offense. We were able to win games thanks to our defense, which went to absolute s**t, once Haywood was out. Our offense won't improve, unless numerous players starts to play better, and Haywood can be a more effective screener.

If you guys really think West will be a difference maker, that tells me 2 things, you didn't watch our games carefully enough when he was playing, and/or we're in a really sad state.

The guy had a handful of good games this year, and has basically the same scoring numbers (on volume, and effectiveness as well) as Roddy, virtually giving out the same assist per game PER36, with slightly more turnovers. I would also argue that Roddy played better defense this year. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying Roddy was great, what i'm saying West is basically giving us the same painfully average production from the guard spot, even as a PG. If you really think we're gonna be a much better team because of Delonte freakin' West, well, as i said, we're really in a sad state at the moment.
The rotations were better. He coverd the quick PG's = Marion does not have to = More energy on offense. He did score the ball pretty well, assuming the overall offense is/was not the best.

He started and allowed Carter to back up Marion, so yes, i think the Mavs really need him!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I consider West one of these role-players from which two should have a good game per night to make us competitive. Of course that requires the core (Dirk, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Haywood) to have a good game every night. And that's not the case either.

But I think West has matched my requirements better than anyone.

Last edited by j0Shi; 03-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
He's not a quick much of anything. See the lack of jump balls won. I don't know when was the last time I've seen dirk ask to touch the ball after a tip. I wonder if he will still ask for it if we win a tip, it's been so long.
Have we even won a jump ball this season? I really don't think we have.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No he didn't. Thing is, our offense sucks all year long, no matter who plays.
West was OK, but Dirk played really bad, that's why we sucked on offense. Now Dirk is finally "Dirk".

Last edited by markus1234; 03-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Have we even won a jump ball this season? I really don't think we have.
I pay pretty close attention. I remember one in the arena. Our little section actually raised a cheer.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 03-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're 4-9 since Delonte (our ONLY PG aside from Kidd) went down with his injury...

Define "difference-maker."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-11-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #13
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
We're 4-9 since Delonte (our ONLY PG aside from Kidd) went down with his injury...

Define "difference-maker."
You're obviously not saying we lost those games, because Delonte wasn't playing, do you? Also, i would be careful about that PG-label. Delonte West is a PG-sized combo guard. If he's a point guard, then Roddy, and JET are point guards as well. Just look at West's PER36 assist numbers in his career, and his pedestrian assist per turnover ratio.

Delonte is as combo, as a player can be. JET actually had seasons where he averaged 8 assists. Stats say West is combo, eye test says the same. But let's forget that for a moment, what i wanna ask, why do you think he's such a difference maker for us? You certainly don't think Roddy is a difference maker, because he's not. Yet, he gives us virtually the same production than West, almost the same assist numbers, same scoring efficiency, while scoring a little more, with a little less turnovers.

And i could argue, he's playing better defense, and has probably a higher PER. Again, this is not so much about Roddy, but the fact that you guys are waiting for West like he's some kind of savior, when in reality, he doesn't give us anything this year Roddy or JET can't give. Which is... Pretty average. Our rotations can improve, yes, we get back our depth, but individually, West aren't gonna make us better. Haywood is just so much more important for this team.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
j0Shi
Diamond Member

The point about West is clearly that he allows them to play lineups that have worked well so far this season. He changes the whole dynamic of the rotation for the better.

The discussions are always the same. Take JJB, Roddy, West, who have always and will always be criticized, because they can't run the team like a true point (on this board, it's pretty much summed up with "nobody besides Kidd can get the ball to Dirk").

But we had success with a score-first backup last year, so what? We don't need a "true" backup point.

Last edited by j0Shi; 03-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're obviously not saying we lost those games, because Delonte wasn't playing, do you? Also, i would be careful about that PG-label. Delonte West is a PG-sized combo guard. If he's a point guard, then Roddy, and JET are point guards as well. Just look at West's PER36 assist numbers in his career, and his pedestrian assist per turnover ratio.
In this case, PG = "guy who can run an offense." Terry can't, Roddy can't, DoJo can't. West is the only guy aside from Kidd who can, and that's become painfully obvious with our lack of ball movement in the last couple weeks.

Also, there's the issue of rotations that jOShi brings up in the above post.

If you don't think West is a difference-maker on this team, then explain to me why we went from 19-11 with him to an overall record of 23-20 without him...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

West and Haywood's main contributions are defense. Our defense has been atrocious without the two and that's the reason we're 2-8.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #17
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

What statistical evidence do you have, that shows me West can run our offense any better than others not named Kidd? Because i don't think there is any that would reflect that (or at least i didn't run into any, and i'm kind of a stat geek), but my problem is, that my eyes also don't tell me that. And i watched all of our games, minus the one last night. One more thing, uhm, Kidd is playing!?

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis View Post
West and Haywood's main contributions are defense. Our defense has been atrocious without the two and that's the reason we're 2-8.
No, Haywood's missing presence what made our defense fold (and team chemistry+schedule) anything West does on the defensive end, Roddy can do just as well, joshi keep giving you guys the proof of that, if your eyes wouldn't tell you that. Roddy is great on defense this year.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
markus1234
Platinum Member

Opponents respect/fear D.West. Guys like Dojo or Roddy look like kids in a man's game. Too much softness and inexperience.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Opponents respect/fear D.West. Guys like Dojo or Roddy look like kids in a man's game. Too much softness and inexperience.
1) They are kids

2) Dojo isn't soft, inexperienced clearly... but not soft. I think he has talent, he just needs to lern to shoot the 3 ball better.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #21
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
1) They are kids

2) Dojo isn't soft, inexperienced clearly... but not soft. I think he has talent, he just needs to lern to shoot the ball better.
second part is fixed
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
In this case, PG = "guy who can run an offense." Terry can't, Roddy can't, DoJo can't. West is the only guy aside from Kidd who can, and that's become painfully obvious with our lack of ball movement in the last couple
I could not agree more. Our backup point without jjb/delonte is atrocious.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #23
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
No, Haywood's missing presence what made our defense fold (and team chemistry+schedule) anything West does on the defensive end, Roddy can do just as well, joshi keep giving you guys the proof of that, if your eyes wouldn't tell you that. Roddy is great on defense this year.
Without West more minutes go to VC, Jet, Kidd, and Dojo who are all not as good defenders as west are.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #24
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

LOL @ BG How you going to make an edit and not correct his spelling?

West, Haywood, Brandan are sorely missed, but there will have to be additional issues that will have to be addressed to get the boat righted.

1. Terry needs to get it together. He is playing as an individual right now. I know he is worried about his contract but Tyson and JJB played with uncertain futures last year and they had career years. It wasn't like the Mavs didn't make some sort of offer to those two. Right now, he is playing himself out of the Mavs even offering him a contract.

2. Carter is bench material. He more productive as a spot up shooter and anchoring the 2nd team.

3. Marion's offense is sorely needed at this point but its being wasted guarding speedy PG's. DJ/Roddy/West have to start at the SG.

4. Does the team want Lamar Odom on the court?
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #25
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
1) They are ? kids

2) Dojo isn't soft, inexperienced clearly... but not soft. I think he has talent, he just needs to lern to shoot the 3 ball better.
1st part fixed.

Roddy Beaubois 24. February 1988

Russell Westbrook 12. November 1988

Kevin Wesley Love 7. September 1988

...and so on...and so on.

ps: and yes, DoJo is soft. A big soft baby. Opponents could not care less about him. Softness is also lack of consistency, low BBIQ and average skills. It is not only about muscles... Do Jo reminds me of Brandon Bass...

You do not win anything with those type of players...

Last edited by markus1234; 03-11-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
1st part fixed.

Roddy Beaubois 24. February 1988

Russell Westbrook 12. November 1988

Kevin Wesley Love 7. September 1988

...and so on...and so on.

ps: and yes, DoJo is soft. A big soft baby. Opponents could not care less about him. Softness is also lack of consistency, low BBIQ and average skills. It is not only about muscles... Do Jo reminds me of Brandon Bass...

You do not win anything with those type of players...
I don't think you can be more clueless about basketball.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #27
markus1234
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I don't think you can be more clueless about basketball.
I do not think you can make more pointless comments.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I do not think you can make more pointless comments.
+1
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #29
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Underdog bringing the goods.

West is so crucial to this team for a litany of reasons.

1. Only guy that can and will consistently get to the rim, particularly off the Dirk screen. (No, Roddy can't/won't).

2. Our best perimeter defender. Allows Kidd to stay off of quick PGs (like Isaiah Thomas...)

3. A respectable three-point shooter so the spacing isn't shit and opposing teams won't pack the paint so hard.

4. It cuts into Terry and Roddy's minutes at the 1, where Delonte is the better option.

5. Arguably our best ball-handler.

6. It cuts into Roddy's minutes period. (Yes, I consider this a good thing.)

7. It should put VC back on the bench where he might actually make a shot again.

So yeah, I can't wait to have West back.

Last edited by CadBane; 03-11-2012 at 04:46 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #30
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
1. Only guy that can and will consistently get to the rim, particularly off the Dirk screen. (No, Roddy can't/won't).
Delonte West attempts at the rim in 2011/12 : 57 attempts 33 made field goals, 57% completion rate.

Roddy attempts at the rim in 2011/2012 : 53 attempts, 37 made field goals, 69% completion rate.

They're almost the same in minutes. The truth is, both shooting much more jumpers than they should. Can we finally put this myth to rest?

Quote:
2. Our best perimeter defender. Allows Kidd to stay off of quick PGs (like Isaiah Thomas...)
Well, he is a good defender, if i remember correctly though, Roddy's defensive stats are even better this year, including pick&roll defense, but yes, West can certainly help in that department.

Quote:
3. A respectable three-point shooter so the spacing isn't shit and opposing teams won't pack the paint so hard.
West is shooting 32% from deep this year. That's really average, he's right there with Terry, and Roddy in that department this year, so why are they gonna suddenly pressure him? Why are we going to play better with him because of his 3-point shot, when he's putting up the same average numbers from deep, like every other guards on the roster?

Quote:
4. It cuts into Terry and Roddy's minutes at the 1, where Delonte is the better option.
Again, he's virtually putting up the same assist/to ratio than Roddy, very pedestrian numbers from both, they're not really PG's. Which isn't a problem imo, but you expect them to play pure point. They're both combo guards. They won't do it. You know Roddy won't, you should expect the same thing from West.

Quote:
5. Arguably our best ball-handler.
Doesn't really do anything with it, even if true, as proved above, doesn't really attack the rim much, doesn't really assist much from penetration plays, inconsistent pull-up shooter, again, what will he give us on the attack? In reality, not science-fiction, guys.

Quote:
6. It cuts into Roddy's minutes period. (Yes, I consider this a good thing.)
You consider that a good thing, because you overrate West's season, and clearly have no idea what you're talking about in this subject. In reality, West is just as average this year, as Roddy, and JET.

Quote:
7. It should put VC back on the bench where he might actually make a shot again.
Why do we have to wait for him to come back to do that?

Quote:
So yeah, I can't wait to have West back.
So no, you're wrong.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
markus1234
Platinum Member

West plays against starters, Roddy played lots of garbage time this season where he could pad his stats. Makes no sense to compare their numbers. Roddy ain't that good, really.

Of course West is far from perfect. He needs to learn how to pass the ball to Dirk and he should take high % shots only. There is too much A.Iverson in his game for my taste...

Ball movement made us strong last year, and this year (older guys) we need it even more.

Last edited by markus1234; 03-11-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #32
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Why are you talking West vs. Roddy when the real topic is Roddy vs. Terry
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #33
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wrong that having West back will help our team? What a moron.

Last edited by jthig32; 03-11-2012 at 09:41 PM.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
4DN1
Banned

4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts4DN1 is infamous around these parts

It's disappointing year after year to see Haywood still out there for the Mavs when I know there's a chance to get someone a little better out of a trade with him. He costs way more than he should and he's extremely sloppy and just simply does not have his head in the game a lot of the time. If they continue to work with Mahinmi I'll go as far as saying he'd be a better starter.
4DN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #35
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
West plays against starters, Roddy played lots of garbage time this season where he could pad his stats. Makes no sense to compare their numbers. Roddy ain't that good, really.

Of course West is far from perfect. He needs to learn how to pass the ball to Dirk and he should take high % shots only. There is too much A.Iverson in his game for my taste...

It's astonishing how many dumb things you said this weekend, you are on fire. Needless to say, you're wrong. first of all, West started 9 games on the bench this year, on top of that Roddy comes in against starters in first quarter around the 8 minute mark, and again, plays mostly against starters in the beginning of the second half, barely plays in the fourth, when everyone healthy, we also didn't really blew out much team this year, when would he pad his stats?

Also, if those are his padded (?) stats, that's really sad. Again, my argument is not about Roddy being better than West. My question, why would you think he's gonna make a difference for us, when he's just as average as Roddy this year? They're not horrible, but they're pretty average. Our improvement won't come from either, but it certainly won't come from West. If it will happen, it will be a team effort, JET improving, West improving, Roddy improving, Ian getting back to form, Haywood comes back, and producing (that's the most important, actually).

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about Delonte. My guess is that Kidd, JET, Marion and Dirk all simply have an easier time finding their comfort zones when Delonte's out there than when Booby's out there. It's nothing to do with who shoots or handles better. It's just veteran know-how and decisiveness. I don't know if this team will ultimately be able to get over the damage that the lockout, the championship hangover, and Lamar Odom have wrought, but I do think that the resiliency and cohesiveness will benefit measurably from West's return.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 03-11-2012 at 08:32 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #37
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DN1 View Post
It's disappointing year after year to see Haywood still out there for the Mavs when I know there's a chance to get someone a little better out of a trade with him. He costs way more than he should and he's extremely sloppy and just simply does not have his head in the game a lot of the time. If they continue to work with Mahinmi I'll go as far as saying he'd be a better starter.
Fail.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #38
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm wrong that having West back will help our team? What a fucking moron.
I take that as a compliment from you. No, your reasons why you want him back, are what wrong. Chances are, he won't give us penetration, and he won't give us consistent outside shooting. But he will give us depth, and will give us defense, the problem? The guy he's gonna knock out of the rotation (Roddy) is virtually giving us the very same production. Why would we become better then? Tell me.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 03-11-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #39
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DN1 View Post
Mahinmi has a pretty long way to go before he's a starting center. Probably another three years and that is assuming he works hard and beefs up some more.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #40
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Why are you talking West vs. Roddy when the real topic is Roddy vs. Terry
Roddy versus terry is no contest, roddy fails.

Tags
budapestmaverick=idiot, inbredretard1234, return of the quack!