Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-23-2002, 03:38 PM   #1
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

Just got bored and pulled this trade out of my a$$. A bit unrealistic, because it involves so much people, but i just did it for fun. Philly probably won’t go for it, but just wondering what you guys thought of it. Forget salaries. I’m just wondering if you guys think this trade is sensible for each team invovled and if it would help the Mavs. I've cooled on Keon and Rashard over the last 24 hrs. Keon's too skinny and would not make any significant defensive improvements for the Mavs particularly in the West. Rasho is not going to come here, because he won't be getting the max here after 3 years. You realize we already 2 maxed out players (Dirk and Fin), a nearly maxed out player (Raef), another high salary (Van Exel), and another pending max player (Nash). How Rasho is going to get the max here is beyond me unless we trade away a bunch of our key players and deplete our whole bench.

Dallas Trades: Nick Van Exel, Wang Zhi Zhi, Greg Buckner, Shawn Bradley, Avery Johnson
Dallas Receives: Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas, Charlie Ward

Golden State Trades: Danny Fortson, Adonal Foyle
Golden State Receives: Wang Zhi Zhi, Avery Johnson, Shawn Bradley

New York Trades: Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas, Clarence Weatherspoon, Charlie Ward
New York Receives: Nick Van Exel, Matt Harpring, Dikembe Mutombo

Philadelphia Trades: Matt Harpring, Dikembe Mutombo
Philadelphia Receives: Greg Buckner, Clarence Weatherspoon, Danny Fortson, Adonal Foyle

Dallas’s Big Lineup
PG Steve Nash/Charlie Ward
SG Michael Finley/Latrell Sprewell/Tariq Abdul Wahad
SF Dirk Nowitzki/Adrian Griffin/Medulan Sekularac
PF Kurt Thomas/Eduardo Najera
C Raef Lafrentz/Evan Eshmeyer

Dallas Small Lineup
PG Steve Nash/Charlie Ward
SG Michael Finley/Adrian Griffin/Tariq Abdul Wahad
SF Latrell Sprewell/Eduardo Najera/Medulan Sekularac
PF Kurt Thomas/Raef Lafrentz
C Dirk Nowitzki/Evan Eshmeyer

I've always been a big Spree fan as he plays both ends of the floor well and doesn't demand a lot of shots. He would also benefit from the spacing created by the Nellie system, because he is a slasher. If he came to the Mavs, he'd be the best slasher on the team. Kurt Thomas, although not completely overwhelming as an inside presence is still a relatively young (not 30 yet i think) power foward who shoots nearly 50% from the floor and provides rebounding and defense. With a better offensive game than Olowokandi and a better body than Keon, I think Kurt would fit well with our run and gun system.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2002, 03:46 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

no Spree for me

people think the Mavs are shopping NVE cause his attitude might cause a problem? Spree would be taking a step backwards. I say keep NVE, NY has nothing but crap to send us with Thomas. Keep NVE and try to sign a PF or go another route
Old 07-23-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
Charlie Brown

i think it's in the best interests for the mavs to trade van exel, because i believe this is about as high as his trade value is going to get. he's an aging vet who's still got plenty of skills, but in the next couple years, his skills are going to diminish and will turn into a Tim Hardaway (of 2-3 years ago) or a Kenny Anderson, productive veteran players, but little trade value.

but i would not mind if we kept him for another year.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

<< people think the Mavs are shopping NVE cause his attitude might cause a problem? >>

I haven't really heard that this is the reason the mavs might be shopping NVE..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 03:56 PM   #5
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

exactly, he is more valuable than for what the Knicks have. as far trade value, Spree has none and if the Mavs got him and tried to trade him later, there would be no chance in hell of gettin rid of him.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #6
Just211
Platinum Member

<< I haven't really heard that this is the reason the mavs might be shopping NVE >>

i heard it a lot when these rumors started. it was based on people thought he was playing Mr. Nice guy, but effintually would want more PT.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:00 PM   #7
Charlie Brown

name me a power forward or player whose trade value is equal to van exel then . . .
Old 07-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #8
Just211
Platinum Member

<< name me a power forward or player whose trade value is equal to van exel then . . . >>

Thomas is perfect, but he is not worth taking on Ward or Spree. they have no one to add to the trade.

as for one PF straight up......I don't see any on the block worth NVE
Old 07-23-2002, 04:34 PM   #9
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

<< Keon's too skinny and would not make any significant defensive improvements for the Mavs particularly in the West. >>

I disagree with this statement. Keon lit us up bigtime when he came to town so I know he can compete with the talent in the west. He would be great energy off the bench and give us badly needed athleticism under the basket. Plus, we wouldn't have to give up anything to get him now that he is unrestricted. Keep NVE or trade him for something else and sign Clark is a much better option than trading half our squad for Spreewell, Thomas, and Ward.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:25 PM   #10
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

<< Keon lit us up bigtime when he came to town so I know he can compete with the talent in the west. >>

But the Mavs don't have any players that can play defense (I read that somewhere), so you can't go by any inside player lighting the Mavs up.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:31 PM   #11
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

lol, Dampier has lit us up.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:18 PM   #12
Nellie
Golden Member

Ummmm...OK.

So Keon Clark sucks because he lit up the Mavs?? What kind of logic is that? Your argument is silly. Should we discount Mike Bibby for lighting us up because we can't play defense?? Based on your logic, I guess he sucks too. It's a mute point anyway due to the fact that Clark has lit up a lot of teams. I just mentioned the Mavs game because that is the only time I have seen him in person and I could tell he was a talented player, could be had in the exception range, and can offer qualities that we are lacking inside. Dampier would fall in this catagory as well. If you guys want to argue that, you will have an extremely hard time convincing me.
Old 07-24-2002, 03:21 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Brendan Haywood lit us up. It's not a good measuring stick. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit: can't spell
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:29 PM   #14
Nellie
Golden Member

<< Brendan Haywood lit us up. It's not a good measuring stick. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

edit: can't spell
>>

And Brendan Haywood would help our team too.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:07 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

He wouldn't get off the bench -- Nellie wouldn't let him. He looked good against us because we have no inside D. This game was pre-trade and w/o Dirk. He had a decent first couple months of the year.. then what?

We coulda had him last summer for a song. We didn't get him. So no, he wouldn't help us, because Nellie wouldn't play him.
Old 07-24-2002, 04:13 PM   #16
Nellie
Golden Member

Good grief....you guys are focusing on the wrong thing. You are running with a point that nobody that has a good game against the Mavs is good which is retarded. Furthermore, if Nellie doesn't play them, they suck...which is also retarded. You guys make me tired.
Old 07-24-2002, 07:04 PM   #17
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I didn't say either of those things.