Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-18-2002, 12:59 PM   #1
China

China is on a distinguished road

When I heard that Mav's mindset is to beat your opponent by outscoring them, I laughed. This is ridiculous given the players Dallas have. Do you think Dirk can
outscore Shaq? Do you think Nash can outscore Kobe? Noooo!

The problem with this team, as I pointed out long time ago, is:

1. The mindset is wrong, which leads to the fact that there is no real center on this team, and no defense. Everybody wants to score. This will never lead Dallas to the finals. Phoenix is a good example.

2. Nash is surely a good player with good attitudes. But to be frank, he has never distributed the ball really well despite the fact his average scoring is very good. I
still think he himself plays too much inside, thinks too much of shooting instead of distributing the ball. Kobe can score much, much more than him if Koby decides to play the way that Nash plays. On the court he can only see dirk and Juwan and himself. That is also due to the team's mindset. Shoot, shoot, just shoot! Wrong!

3. There is not much good ball passing on this team between players. This is not good. It made the game less interesting and exciting. Just count how many times Dallas players shoot from outside without passing between each other even if there is a good opportunity out there inside!

I remember when I first pointed out the problem with this team, someone said this is Nelie's strategy: to win by outscoring! I hope the coaching and management team should rethink about this strategy. Otherwise, if Dallas run into either portland, or Lakers, or kings,or even seatle in the playoffs, I bet Dallas is going to lose. The reason is simple, the chance that your shooting percentage outside is very good in every game is very, very low!

In all, I am a fan of this team. And I do wish this team the best in the playoffs.
Old 02-18-2002, 02:52 PM   #2
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

China,

I don't really think it is Nellie's strategy to win by ouscoring. Due to the nature of the talent on this team, we shoot a lot of 3-pointers and go on extreme offensive spurts. Nellie likes quality players that understand strategies and fundamentals. He knows you can't just throw a wide body in the paint and solve all your problems. He also knows that you don't go a trade for a big man if you don't get equal value in return. If there was no salary cap, we might have a different team out there.

As for it being a strategy at all, it is just a rumor started by a comment Mark Cuban (owner, not coach) made about getting another scoring threat.

As for whether or not this method works or not, the Mavs are on top of thier division, and one of the best teams in the conference. We beat the Kings on thier own floor. Are we still the only team to do that? We have the best road record in the NBA, and Portland could not keep up with us in a series.

If you are going to beat the Lakers, there is nobody in the league that can stop Shaq. You absolutely, possitively must play a different kind of game, and make them play yours. The Mavs are good at that.

I'm sure if we had Shaq on our team, we would play the kind of ball that you think we should play.

Aside from that, what has it done for anybody who has met the Lakers in the playoffs the last 3 years?

not much..

JT
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:05 PM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

China, Phoenix is the very example that playing just offense might get you to the finals.

Not this years Phoenix, though, but you remember that Barkley Suns?