Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-14-2002, 03:08 AM   #1
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Where do you guys rank the top PG's in the league? After the last 2 days, I have to rank Andre Miller #2 among the best PG's in the league. He's had back to back nights that look like this:
2/12 vs. Tor: 22pts, 17asst, 10rebs, and just 2TO's
2/13 vs. Mil: 27pts, 19asst, 4rebs, and 0 TO's, yes 0

The key to both of those games was that they won both vs. 2 playoff teams. So with that in mind, this is my list of top PG's in the league. He leads the league in assists, and his contract is up after next season I think.

1.J. Kidd
2.A. Miller(A close 2nd IMO)
3.G. Payton
4.S. Nash
5.Van Exel/Marbury(1 of the 2, take your pick)

I posted this under this section cause Steve Nash was in it, so it's Mavs Related.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2002, 09:23 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah..he has put up some good games..but as a whole, there's no way i rank him ahead of nash..maybe in the past week but not for the season...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 09:41 AM   #3
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'd agree Murph, although Miller is good as they come though. I wouldn't put him in front of Nash yet, however I can see in a few years he'll be better.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:19 PM   #4
Joe Joe
Banned

I said the same thing you guys said until I took a look at the guys #'s on the year. He is at: 16.4pts, 10.5asst, and 5.10rebs. Those numbers are really second to only Kidd really. Is Francis a PG or SG in you guys opinion? If he is a PG, then that would know Van Exel/Marbury off of my list and put Nash in their place. I would put Francis at #3 or #4, it's hard to not put him at #3 IMO.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:47 PM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

Joe Joe, I hear where you're coming from but I think what Nash has done for his team puts him slightly ahead of Miller. Like I said though, I won't be surprised to see him eventually be considered one of, if not the best point guard in the league.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:15 PM   #6
mick

mick is on a distinguished road

If you go head to head in the games they've played, it's hard to keep Nash out of the upper echelon. I'm not sayinghe's better than Kidd, but he outplayed him in 2 regualr season games, and in All-Star gaem. Nash has outplayed Francis. Miller played well. Of course Payton is great.

But for the Mavs, Nash is the best fit at point than most of the others. Miller would do well here.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #7
Joe Joe
Banned

IMO Miller would do well any where Mick. Just as Nash has outplayed them, they have outplayed him too. I would rather have Nash on my team, because of the fact that he has come along way, and Dirk is comfortable with him now. I wouldn't want another PG, cause I do not know how well Dirk would take to it. Dirk needs a great PG like Nash with him, and they have showed if they continue to improve they may be 1 of the best tandems in the league for years to come.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:00 PM   #8
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Id rank Miller 4th right now, but that will change soon. I would put Cassell in the fifth slot...
Old 02-14-2002, 06:23 PM   #9
Joe Joe
Banned

Who's your 1. 2. and 3. Reeds?
Old 02-14-2002, 08:46 PM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Kidd has to be 1, Id still put Payton 2, Nash 3, Miller 4, Cassell 5.

*Please note- Jason Williams of Duke will be on this list next year. Probably right behind Payton. In two years, he might be #2, and in Three years he will be the best point in america- or the world...JMHO
Old 02-14-2002, 08:52 PM   #11
Joe Joe
Banned

Where's Francis reeds? If he is considered a PG then my list looks like this:
1.J Kidd
2.A Miller
3.G Payton
4.S Francis
5.S Nash
Old 02-15-2002, 10:16 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

let me give you some numbers
45.8 FG %
25.5 3pt%
79.3 FT%

3.1 TO's

now, i know that miller averages more assists and more boards per game.. but one thing that makes nash so special is that he is great at distributing the ball and one of the deadliest shooters in the game.

miller simply isn't
Old 02-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

I agree that Nash definately is KILLING everyone right now but I compare Miller to more of a Kidd type that can fit in ANY SYSTEM where as I don't know if Nash could fit in any system.

Regardless right now I would definately take Nash before Miller but Miller is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the near future. Like I said, there are only two point guards in my eyes who are better than Nash that's Kidd and Payton both are not that much better but I would give them the edge.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:18 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

i honestly don't know how a guy like nash, who can handle the ball with the best, shoot with the best, and create with the best..i don't know how he wouldn't fit into any system.
but, that's just me.

what system does he not fit in with?
systems that encourages point guards to not make the team better?..that encourages PG's to not drive and dish?..or to find the open man spotting up for three?

yes, nash is an excellent floor general in an open offense, but he's a very good player in the half court game as well..
he's a great fit for basically any team

and yes, i like miller..he has a chance to be a special player..but he's not at nash's level yet..will he get to where nash is?..probably.. however, that doesn't mean that nash won't take his level higher
Old 02-15-2002, 03:36 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

Murph, you and I know that Nash EXCELS in the open court WAY more than he does in the half court set. Now that's not to say he couldn't perform in a half court set but to put him in that sort of system, like the Knicks or the Miami Heat you would be curtailing his abilities. Where as point guard like Kidd, Payton and even Miller can work in those systems because they can POST players up where Nash doesn't do that extremely well.

Like I said though, right now, I think he's better than Miller and he's easily one of the top point guards in the league. Actually there could be arguments made for him being the best and there couldn't be any made for Miller but I truly do see Miller becoming a premier point guard in this league.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:35 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

yes, i know nash isn't going to post players up..however, nash can break down defenses off of the drive in the half court set as good or better than any PG in the league.
he is also probably the best shooter among PG's in the league
Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 AM   #17
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Nash IS the best shooting pg, especially from 3point range he can kill any team... Miller better pg than Steve, no way. You probably concentrated on the stats, and especially on assists/game!

Andre Miller has become a better shooter/scorer over the last years and he has game, but he will never reach numbers like Steve is shooting from the field and 3point range. You have to say it again and again, he shoots more than 50 percent from the field and nearly 45 from behind the arc. That's phenomenal!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:14 AM   #18
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

It's Kidd - Payton - Nash - Francis - Miller - Marbury right now for me
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 01:19 PM   #19
Joe Joe
Banned

I concentrated on what both bring to the table. Andre Miller IMO is the 2nd best PG in the league right behind Kidd. I watched the 2 games back-to-back and seen what this guy did. A PG's job is to distribute the ball and shoot the shot when you have it. Andre Miller is the best at distributing the ball and he has shown that he can shoot the big shots AND make them when he needs to. I think he is making a push for player of the week in the East. His numbers thus far has been great and both were WINS against playoff bound teams. Do not forget the triple double he had earlier this week and nothing excites me more than players who can give you a triple double on any given night. He averages 5.10 RPG, which is better than Nash's avg. He avgs like 10.5 assist which is like 2(maybe more) more than Steve does. M.E.D to say he will "never" be the shooter Nash is, is absurd. All it takes is practice and repition to become a good shooter.