Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #1
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Young to start at quarterback for Titans against Cowboys

The Vince Young era officially begins Sunday.

The Titans, who have struggled to an 0-3 start, will give their quarterback of the future his first NFL start against the Dallas Cowboys at LP Field.

Kickoff is noon. The game will be televised on WZTV-17.

“I feel real comfortable,” Young said Friday. “I feel like I had a good week of practice. I like the scheme that we have, it is pretty cool. Now we just have to go out there and execute as an offense. Overall, we just have to go out there and play ball.’’

Young replaces veteran Kerry Collins, who joined the Titans late in the preseason and has thrown six interceptions and just one touchdown.

Young played in the Titans’ first two games, against the Jets and Chargers, but did not see action last week in a 13-10 loss to the Dolphins as Collins showed some improvement.

The former University of Texas star and third overall pick of this year’s NFL Draft is 10-of-23 passing for 133 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He also has five rushes for 24 yards.

“I think at first his head might have been spinning a little bit, but he settled down really quickly,’’ Titans receiver Drew Bennett said. “He's picked up the offense really well, and I think everybody thinks he's on the brink of being a really great player.’’

Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow said Young has made great strides, “mainly because he's very determined to be a great football player. He studies, he works, and he's disciplined. He has great leadership skills. If you're willing to work at it like he is, you continue to get better.’’

On Monday, Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said Collins would start against Dallas (1-1), which is coming off a bye week.

But it became clear during practices that the Titans planned to go with Young, who worked with the starters and handled the majority of the reps each day. Collins, meanwhile, worked primarily with the scout team.

Practices are open to the media, but Fisher threatened to close them if any outlet reported the division of practice-field work between Young and Collins before Saturday.

Media covering practice are generally prohibited by the team from reporting certain details that could impact competitive advantages.

Less than a third of NFL teams have open practices

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../60930008/1027
Old 09-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Seems a little early to have him starting, but I guess they still think they have a chance this season. I think he's going to have some Alex Smith like play for awhile as he learns the ways of the NFL.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thrown him out there against that fire-breathing, man-eating defense.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Im a little torn in this game. Generally i would never root against any of the dallas area teams but VY is my favorite athlete so this is a tough one. I think this a mistake on their part but I wish him the best. I hope wares breakout game takes one more week now since I want Vince to remain intact.

As for his performance i expect what we saw early at UT. Flashes of what he could become but also huge mistakes that make you wonder if he could ever actually become what he could be flashes of what he could become. Then more flashes of brilliance that prevent you from ever giving up on him.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I wouldn't have thrown him out there against that fire-breathing, man-eating PRESEASON defense.
fixed.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Ohhhh I'm going to be pissed if we don't get the game in Boston. I feel like I'm going against my school, but sorry, I was a Cowboys fan long before I went to UT. So, thanks for everything Vince...I hope you get your butt handed to you tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

ames "gets it".

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

"Lucking Fonghorns"

Speaking of Longhorns, I just got back from the A&M vs Tech game. For the first time in 5 years, the 12th man almost won the game for us. The Aggies did everything right but win the game. Played their hearts out but Fran's coaching once again was near idiotic at times.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was a fan of some other team before I was not a fan of the Dallas Cowboys.

Go Vince!

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 12:02 AM   #10
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

great news. this should make the game at least somewhat competitive..i'd hate to see Collins get knocked out of the game and give the titans an excuse for losing...vince should be fun to watch as well.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #11
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

Vince Young meet Demarcus Ware....
Old 10-01-2006, 12:33 AM   #12
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

that pretty much guarantees cowboys win 35-0

Vince Young = not ready for NFL play.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 AM   #13
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Vince Young = not ready for NFL play.
I think you're wrong. Young is clearly the best quarterback on that Titans team, regardless of experience. I'm betting that he will find success much earlier in his career than most QBs.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:15 AM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm - fresh meat!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If Vince Young manages to win his team this game, go ahead and cast the bust for Canton.

The Titans will die a quick, though very painful, death tomorrow. By the end of the third quarter, it won't be within three scores. Vince Young's Titan's will be lucky to have a hundred yards of offense through three.

I love Young, but this is more than just throwing him to the wolves. This is placing his neck in a noose and pulling the board. This is the kind of situation that he will spend a long time recovering from, if ever he does. Bad, bad move by their coaching staff. I can't even imagine why they would do it. Let Collins be the sacrificial rag doll.

Last edited by chumdawg; 10-01-2006 at 01:59 AM.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

They're doing it because half of an already terrible offensive line is hurt and not playing. They're doing it because, while Young will be thrown to the wolves, at least he's mobile enough to move out of the pocket. Collins would've been cut in half before halftime.

I thought Collins was their best chance to win though, because he can make big plays with his arm at times.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #17
Carolina Blue

Carolina Blue is on a distinguished road

Nice to see that FireCoachFisher.com is having an immediate impact on the state of the Titans...
Old 10-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #18
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I can't even imagine why they would do it. Let Collins be the sacrificial rag doll.

I want to see Ware welcome Young into the league properly...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #19
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

keep your head up VY!

you'll get them later!
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog

I want to see Ware welcome Young into the league properly...
Andre Ware?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #21
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavKikiNYC
Andre Ware?
demarcus....
Old 10-09-2006, 11:25 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So this weekend we saw:

Reggie Bush do what he does, break one for a TD

Matt Leinart do what he does - Throw a couple of TD passes

and Vince Young do what he does - scramble for a TD

Who is going to have the best rookie year among the 3?

(I vote for the Cardinal)
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #23
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
So this weekend we saw:

Reggie Bush do what he does, break one for a TD

Matt Leinart do what he does - Throw a couple of TD passes

and Vince Young do what he does - scramble for a TD

Who is going to have the best rookie year among the 3?

(I vote for the Cardinal)
none of the above, Maroney. Its about time for reggie bush. He had sucked up to this point with alot more pt than the other two.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

well that's why I phrased the question "among the 3" but ok....
Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #25
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
well that's why I phrased the question "among the 3" but ok....
leinart among the 3.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Your point is well taken about Maroney though, five-o

apparently he is averaging 4.3 yards a carry, and is projected to break 1000 yards at this pace. though he only had 38 yards this week.