Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
Now that I think about it, the Mavs may be part of an A.I., but it will not be for A.I. coming here. It will be with us getting somebody we want, while Croshere is traded to Philly because of his contract ending.. How about that for a Mavs trade with A.I.
I think croshere and anthony are looking to be moved.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #162
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

NBA Weekend Edition - Marc Stein/ESPN.Com

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, a long-time Allen Iverson admirer, has identified one scenario where Dallas would be chasing Iverson.

"If they bought him out and waived him," Cuban said, knowing full well that's not an option Philly is about to consider.

"I've always liked the way he plays. The money just doesn't work."

Dallas, you see, is facing the league's second-highest bill for luxury tax at season's end at $10.2 million, trailing only New York's $44-plus million.

So for all the inevitable questions about how Iverson's game would mesh with Dirk Nowitzki's -- and, of greater concern, how Iverson's well-chronicled aversion to practice would sit with coach Avery Johnson's given the Lil' General's reverence for it -- finances have dissuaded the Mavericks as much as anything.

Their offense in support of Nowitzki could certainly use a consistency jolt, having generated two 20-point scorers on the same night only nine times in the Mavs' first 22 games. That puts them on a pace for 34 games with two 20-point men, compared to 48 last season.

But Dallas will continue to be a luxury-tax team for the next two seasons after this one if they absorb Iverson's contract. The dollar-for-dollar tax would thus make him an $80 million gamble for the Mavs, compared to the mere $40 million left on Iverson's contract in 2007-08 and '08-09.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #163
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I've officially given up on AI coming here.

damn.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:11 PM   #164
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I'm not trying to suggest that they are in fact working on an Iverson deal (I don't think they are), but didn't Cuban say that they were not trading for Damp a week or so before we got him?

Edit: Really, did he? I can't remember. I seem to remember some discussion about whether it was right for Cuban to lie to fans.

Last edited by Stranger; 12-16-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:06 PM   #165
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, he certainly lied to fans when he said money would never get in the way of a Mavs championship. So yes, it wouldn't surprise me if there had been some discussion.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #166
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Well, he certainly lied to fans when he said money would never get in the way of a Mavs championship. So yes, it wouldn't surprise me if there had been some discussion.
Boo hoo hoo. I feel so jilted.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 12-16-2006, 08:46 PM   #167
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to my world. For a while I bought what that huckster was selling.

Now the only people who buy it are the ones buying corporate sponsorships, TV deals, advertising spots, and season tickets.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:54 PM   #168
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Boo hoo hoo. I feel so jilted.
I'm being sarcastic, making fun of your jilted lover status.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:56 PM   #169
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, a long-time Allen Iverson admirer, has identified one scenario where Dallas would be chasing Iverson.

"If they bought him out and waived him," Cuban said, knowing full well that's not an option Philly is about to consider.

"I've always liked the way he plays.
Well at least the organization is INTERESTED in Iverson.

Quote:
The money just doesn't work."
Words I never thought I would hear Cuban say. Cuban has officially joined the ranks of NBA owners. Money is as important as talent.

Last edited by MFFL; 12-16-2006 at 10:56 PM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #170
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default In happier times.

Quote:
I'm being sarcastic, making fun of your jilted lover status.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #171
chumdawg
Guru

The only question is: How long will it take people to realize?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #172
Drbio
Banned

We all get it ad naseum....you hate Cuban.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #173
chumdawg
Guru

Who doesn't, these days.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #174
Drbio
Banned

Hate the greatest owner in the NBA?

I certainly do not. He has brought this franchise from shat to shinola, but I forgot you weren't a fan in those days. You came with Nash's jock right?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #175
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I hate his new facial hair. is he serious with that?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #176
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Hate the greatest owner in the NBA?

I certainly do not. He has brought this franchise from shat to shinola, but I forgot you weren't a fan in those days. You came with Nash's jock right?
I came with Don Carter and Mark Aguirre and Ro Blackman and Brad Davis. Roy Tarpley and Sam Perkins and James Donaldson. Vincent and Schrempf and failed drafts on Farmer and Blab.

I know the glory days of this franchise. I lived them. Donald Carter never said cocksure promises that money would never be an issue. Mark Gooban did.

Of course, in the end, Gooban proved to be the sell-short moneymaker he's always been. And the great and honorable memory of Donald Carter is rolling in its grave.

It's all about the money these days. Enjoy your gameday presentation!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #177
Drbio
Banned

Isn't that cute? This is the second time he has changed that "Cu" part to "Goo". That might catch in the circles of Cuban hating, Nash and Nellie nuthugging fans.

maybe.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-16-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:37 PM   #178
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Cuban threw around way too much money this offseason to be "all about the money". I swear, a few people here could be given a Mercedes, and they would be bitching about how it wasn't a Ferrari.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #179
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Cuban threw around way too much money this offseason to be "all about the money". I swear, a few people here could be given a Mercedes, and they would be bitching about how it wasn't a Ferrari.
Don't be so simplistic, by pointing to recent signings. There will always be signings. Even the lowest-paying teams in the league will have signings.

I do believe--and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong--that Cuban has worked very hard the last few years to cut payroll. If that's not a fact, just tell me I'm lying.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #180
Drbio
Banned

If you hate the Mavs and Cuban so much why do you bother being here?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #181
chumdawg
Guru

What thinks you think I hate the Mavs? Obviously I hate Gooban. But what makes you think I hate the Mavs?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #182
Drbio
Banned

It is so cute...did you see it? He did that "Goo" for "Cu" thingy again.

Old 12-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #183
chumdawg
Guru

Are you that pathetically incapable of responding to a question?

Wait, let me break that up for you. Are you that pathetic? Yes. Are you that incapable? Yes.

Please prove to me that your whole is somehow greater than the sum of your (pathetic and incapable) parts.

Last edited by chumdawg; 12-16-2006 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #184
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Don't be so simplistic, by pointing to recent signings. There will always be signings. Even the lowest-paying teams in the league will have signings.

I do believe--and please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong--that Cuban has worked very hard the last few years to cut payroll. If that's not a fact, just tell me I'm lying.
Well what complex formula do you have that shows Cuban is a cheapskate owner. From what I have seen you have two points right now - he didn't want to spend on Nash and he doesn't want to pay $20 mil a year for Iverson. Every owner has to say no to spending at some point in time. This simplistic thinking goes both ways I guess.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-16-2006, 11:58 PM   #185
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Well what complex formula do you have that shows Cuban is a cheapskate owner. From what I have seen you have two points right now - he didn't want to spend on Nash and he doesn't want to pay $20 mil a year for Iverson. Every owner has to say no to spending at some point in time. This simplistic thinking goes both ways I guess.
My complex functions look like this:

f(spend like every other owner in the league) = be like every other owner in the league

f(spend more than other owners in the league) = be better than other owners in the league

f(spend more) > f(spend the same)

I know it's not a rigorous proof, but I hope it helps to illustrate the example.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:03 AM   #186
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Are you that pathetically incapable of responding to a question?
Oh the irony is so dripping here. We both know which thread we could go to as evidence of your lack of ability.

Quote:
Wait, let me break that up for you. Are you that pathetic? Yes. Are you that incapable? Yes.
Again...do we really need for me to kick your ass all over another thread or jsut move on.

Quote:
Please prove to me that your whole is somehow greater than the sum of your (pathetic and incapable) parts.
More ignorant cumdawg schtick. It doesn't work here either.

But go ahrad and call me a racist or something else unfounded. That is all you have in your weak ass bag of nothing. That and mavericks/anti-Cuban , steve nash nuthugging, nellie blowing lame ass schtick of course.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:04 AM   #187
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Who doesn't, these days.
I don't as if you really wanted an answer. He continues to be the best thing that ever, EVER happened to the dallas mavericks.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #188
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I came with Don Carter and Mark Aguirre and Ro Blackman and Brad Davis. Roy Tarpley and Sam Perkins and James Donaldson. Vincent and Schrempf and failed drafts on Farmer and Blab.

I know the glory days of this franchise. I lived them. Donald Carter never said cocksure promises that money would never be an issue. Mark Gooban did.

Of course, in the end, Gooban proved to be the sell-short moneymaker he's always been. And the great and honorable memory of Donald Carter is rolling in its grave.

It's all about the money these days. Enjoy your gameday presentation!
Yea it's all about the money. That's why the team continues to contend for a title every year. Phoenix is over thatta way...but O' lest I forget they didn't even take what was it two draft picks because it's only about the money.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #189
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
My complex functions look like this:

f(spend like every other owner in the league) = be like every other owner in the league

f(spend more than other owners in the league) = be better than other owners in the league

f(spend more) > f(spend the same)

I know it's not a rigorous proof, but I hope it helps to illustrate the example.
The problem is chum, you want to pin Cuban like he is the cause of all the problems the Mavs ever have. But if he is like every owner in the league (as you say), than he is neither the cause of nor the solution to the Mavs' problems. He's just simply average. Still, every time you open your mouth about Cuban, all we hear about is how horrible Dallas is because of what Cuban has done.

And despite all of this, I still see Cuban paying out a ton of money - Terry, Stack, Dirk, and Damp are all making at or near 10 million a year. Heck, Avery is pretty well paid for a coach (5 million a year). That's some decent cash he is shelling out, and it's only a glimpse of what he is paying. Feel free to find the actual cap numbers because I would love to see them. I'm assuming you won't here because if you did put the numbers, your case probably wouldn't look as good. So you'll probably do what you normally do and post some fancy rhetoric with questionable factual basis.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-17-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #190
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

So what? the product on the floor has continued to improve. Knicks spend a ton o' money but suck. Mavs spend just about the same amount and contend.

Atlanta, Portland, Memphis, Celtics, Philidelphia, Knicks, Toronto, Seattle, NOK should all have it so bad. What a crock of bull-honkey.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #191
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Yea it's all about the money. That's why the team continues to contend for a title every year. Phoenix is over thatta way...but O' lest I forget they didn't even take what was it two draft picks because it's only about the money.
Do they? Continue to vie for a title every year? You will have to check with me on a couple years on that count, bud. And even so, you will be two years late.

They vied in '03. And then Cuban decided to make some cash. Oh, he wanted to win, too. But he thought he could eat his cake and have it, too. Dumbass. He should stick to shorting stocks, which is the only game he knows well.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:10 AM   #192
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
, just tell me I'm lying.
You are lying. If he was all about the money josh, dirk, jason wouldn't have been re-upped. Fact..you are lying.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:12 AM   #193
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
The problem is chum, you want to pin Cuban like he is the cause of all the problems the Mavs ever have. But if he is like every owner in the league (as you say), than he is neither the cause of nor the solution to the Mavs' problems. He's just simply average. Still, every time you open your mouth about Cuban, all we hear about is how horrible Dallas is because of what Cuban has done.

And despite all of this, I still see Cuban paying out a ton of money - Terry, Stack, Dirk, and Damp are all making at or near 10 million a year. Heck, Avery is pretty well paid for a coach (5 million a year). That's some decent cash he is shelling out, and it's only a glimpse of what he is paying. Feel free to find the actual cap numbers because I would love to see them. I'm assuming you won't here because if you did put the numbers, your case probably wouldn't look as good. So you'll probably do what you normally do and post some fancy rhetoric with questionable factual basis.
Fancy rhetoric, nothing. The Mavs bring in HUGE revenues as compared to most teams in the league. Some folks like to point out outlays without regard to income. Do you realize that the Knicks MAKE money? Again...do you realize that the Knicks make money?

The Mavs make money, too. A shitload of it. And Cuban isn't the guy who will spend it on payroll to make the team better on the court. Right now he has other designs.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #194
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
So you'll probably do what you normally do and and post some fancy rhetoric with questionable factual basis.
You have defined chummy almost perfectly. It only lacks the mandatory nash and nellie nutlicking and commitment to ignorance.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-17-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #195
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Do they? Continue to vie for a title every year? You will have to check with me on a couple years on that count, bud. And even so, you will be two years late.

They vied in '03. And then Cuban decided to make some cash. Oh, he wanted to win, too. But he thought he could eat his cake and have it, too. Dumbass. He should stick to shorting stocks, which is the only game he knows well.
Whatever chum....this conversation continues to be more bullshit from you. Did they have one of the top records in the league two straight years? Duhh...yeah. Have they not been in top 4 or so for 3?? Can't really remember but if not, pretty damn close.. Yea.

You define contending. Knicks spend a ton...are they contending?
Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 AM   #196
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
You are lying. If he was all about the money josh, dirk, jason wouldn't have been re-upped. Fact..you are lying.
Please try to be reasonable in this discussion. Obviously Dirk and Josh weren't going anywhere. Now, with Jason you have a point. But I don't suspect that you will find too many folks who believe they would rather have Jason with that money than Nash with marginally more.

Still and all, the guy is BALKING on increasing payroll.

Do you dispute this???
Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #197
Drbio
Banned

more bullshit from chummy?

*Shocker*

Say it isn't so.....

[/sarcasm]
Old 12-17-2006, 12:16 AM   #198
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Please try to be reasonable in this discussion. Obviously Dirk and Josh weren't going anywhere. Now, with Jason you have a point. But I don't suspect that you will find too many folks who believe they would rather have Jason with that money than Nash with marginally more.

Do you dispute this???
Bullcrap chum. The clippers let talent walk for years. Since cubes is "all about the money" he didn't have to re-sign anyone. I know it's convenient to discount what he did this year because it's not supportive of you idiotic statement but it's still the facts.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:18 AM   #199
dude1394
Guru

Quote:

Do you dispute this???
Are you saying NOW or over the summer? If taking on AI is balking at payroll, okay, but your's truly doesn't want his sorry gangsta ass here anyway, maybe others don't as well.

But with respect to increasing payroll, that's bullcrap, as I said he did it last year. He didn't have too, could have traded 'em all and got even cheaper. He could have sold his draft picks like those skinflint Suns did, but he didn't. He took on MORE payroll.

Last edited by dude1394; 12-17-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #200
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Whatever chum....this conversation continues to be more bullshit from you. Did they have one of the top records in the league two straight years? Duhh...yeah. Have they not been in top 4 or so for 3?? Can't really remember but if not, pretty damn close.. Yea.

You define contending. Knicks spend a ton...are they contending?
Dude, that is more evidence for my point. The team is obviously very good, and obviously knocking on the door of a title. But--and correct me if I am wrong--not a clear-cut favorite.

Now, when a guy is on the market who might put the Mavs over the hump, what does Cuban do? He says the money is too much. Just like he said with Nash: the money is too much.

How are we going to ever get better, if we aren't going to spend more money? The draft, that's how. If you are sitting around waiting for a draft choice to save us, God bless you.

If not the draft, how else? Trades that take on payroll, that's how. The kind of moves that Gooban used to make.

Except he doesn't make those anymore.

Hook, line, and sinker. He dragged you in well enough some time back, and now he has you so firmly trapped that you can't do anything besides bow on your knees at the greatness that gave your basketball team some sense of legitimacy.

You sad, sad hanger-on.