Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default 'Fate' forges reunion of Nash, running buddies from Dallas

'Fate' forges reunion of Nash, running buddies from Dallas
NBA's MVP leads Suns against Mavericks, old pals Nowitzki, Finley

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

PHOENIX – One came from Canada, one from Germany, the other from the inner city of Chicago. They could not have been more different. And yet, they had so much in common.

For six years in Dallas, they lived and laughed, hugged and cried, won and lost. And they did it all together.

Tonight, Steve Nash will be in that purple-and-orange tinged Phoenix Suns uniform. Two of his best buddies, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley, will be visiting America West Arena in Game 1 of the Western Conference semifinals series.

Emotions will tug at all of them. These are friends who created great memories not only for fans, but also for themselves. Whether it was on the basketball court, enjoying the nightlife or merely hanging with one another doing what young people do, the Big Three personified the Dallas Mavericks for more than half a decade.

"It's fate, I guess," Mr. Nash said. "Dirk and Mike are two of my best friends in the world. So to play with them for six years and now to face them in the playoffs, it's crazy that it happened so fast. But I think it's exciting."

On Sunday, Mr. Nash became the first Canadian and only the sixth guard in NBA history to win the league's MVP award. That he did it in his first year since leaving the Mavericks in free agency is a bitter pill for North Texas fans.

But it has been a year of change for Mr. Nash, who led the Suns to the NBA's best record, 62-20. That was a big reason he earned the MVP award.

But the way he's handled changes in his life might be worthy of a more personal award, something along the lines of a most valuable person to his family. Nine months ago, Mr. Nash picked up his life and his longtime girlfriend, Alejandra Amarilla, and signed a $67 million contract with the Suns, a deal Mavericks owner Mark Cuban refused to match.

In the following months, changing teams would not be the only thing Mr. Nash did that he'd never done before.

Lots of changes

"I bought a proper home, which I never really had," he said. "And I had kids. I have children now, and I envision them growing up here now. So this is home.

"There have been a lot of changes."

The twins, Bella and Lola, are 61/2 months old now. Their arrival could not have been timed any better for Mr. Nash. A year ago, he was spending a lot of time with his friends in Dallas. Mostly it was Mr. Nowitzki, the big German who traveled and toddled with Mr. Nash, Mr. Finley – who was not as close to Mr. Nash as Mr. Nowitzki but was still a close confidant – and Al Whitley, the Mavericks equipment manager who grew up with Mr. Nash.

By moving to Phoenix, Mr. Nash no longer had a built-in posse. That meant less time spent cavorting and more time for his newly expanded family.

"It just seems like making all these changes at the same time has been the right way to do it," Mr. Nash said.

Long, strange trip

There most certainly has not been a more humble MVP in NBA history than Mr. Nash – outwardly, at least. Every NBA player has a strong will and an ego. But Mr. Nash is as down to earth as they come.

"It's rare, because most times you don't make it here unless you possess a healthy ego," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "And I'm sure Steve does. He just masks it better. He does a better job of hiding it."

An example came when he accepted the trophy for the MVP on Sunday. He was asked his reaction on having his name alongside those of Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and all the other MVPs.

"Who doesn't belong, I guess," he said. "Those are my heroes."

Mr. Nash's whole life has been one long oddity. He grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, which, like the rest of Canada, has a blind love for hockey but only a one-man infatuation for basketball.

He received one college scholarship offer – from Santa Clara, not exactly a factory for NBA talent. He was the 15th overall draft pick by Phoenix in 1996. Two summers later, he was traded to Dallas for spare parts.

There were tough times early. The fans, already sour on a Mavericks organization that was mired in a decade of staggering ineptitude, unleashed their grief on Mr. Nash in the form of boos.

But along the way, something clicked. The Mavericks got better, the Big Three was born, and while they prospered on the court, they were even more successful in bonding as friends.

"We like to laugh and have a good time," Mr. Nash said of his buddies. "We had fun off the court. When you play for six years somewhere with basically the same core, it's tough to leave all that. It's too bad it couldn't continue. But it's over, and I think we're both doing great."

So tonight, they will start by hugging before the opening tip. There will be no peck on the cheek like close friends Mr. Johnson and Isiah Thomas did in their heyday. That's why Mr. Finley congratulated him on the MVP award before getting to Phoenix.

Business between lines

"As much as I like Steve and love him as a teammate and friend, it's business when you get in between the lines," Mr. Finley said. "So I didn't want to be too happy and jolly and hugging and kissing him before the game. Maybe between him and Dirk."

Mr. Nowitzki and Mr. Nash have done a lot together. But they won't do that. As far as Mr. Nowitzki is concerned, there's no kissing in the NBA. But maybe a hug before the game.

"Yeah, a manly hug," Mr. Nowitzki said.

After that, they will try to beat each other. There is something to that old expression that you never want to lose to your brother or your best friend. Mr. Nowitzki is like both to Mr. Nash.

"It'll test our friendship over the next two weeks," Mr. Nash said. "But it's just basketball. It's life or death when you're out there. But when you're finished, you try to get away from it."

Mr. Nash doesn't have the venom for the Mavericks' organization that many people might expect him to have. He was offered a once-in-a-lifetime contract by the Suns and took it only because Mr. Cuban wouldn't come close to matching it.

No hard feelings. And the way it's worked out for Mr. Nash – as well as the Mavericks – it's hard to argue that it wasn't the best move for everybody. The Mavericks moved on. And a team like Phoenix, which had so much room for improvement, is the only place where somebody like Mr. Nash could end up an MVP.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 'Fate' forges reunion of Nash, running buddies from Dallas

What's up with all the "Mr."s?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough

The most annoying read in the history of DMN? I don't think Mr. Sefko got enough sleep last night.
JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:'Fate' forges reunion of Nash, running buddies from Dallas

Nash willl be doomed to fail in the playoffs just like the last little guy to win the award.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 11:38 PM   #5
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where to post this, but I haven't found it, so here it goes:

Taking the long way to Phoenix
By Marc Stein, ESPN.com

AP
Bring on the Suns!

DALLAS -- Did someone say unpredictable series?

The outcome wasn't all that unexpected, true, but let's be real. It's difficult to imagine the Dallas Mavericks taking a more bizarre path to reach their showdown of destiny with the little MVP they let walk all the way to the desert.

Lose the first two at home. Win the next three. Get blown out in Game 6. Then, in a Game 7 that left a superstar on each side feeling sickly -- explanations below -- Dallas rides contributions from a kid (Josh Howard) and a vet (Darrell Armstrong) and a playoff neophyte (Jason Terry) to humiliate the Houston Rockets by 40 points.

Huh?

Next you'll tell me the Mavs, shredded at times by Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming even in this 116-76 laugher, have a plan to stop the Suns' pick and roll.

Let me guess: You had Giacomo in the Derby, too.

No one had it this way coming into Saturday night's decider, for the right to try to keep up with Most Valuable Player-elect Steve Nash. No one predicted a Game 7 in which the Mavericks could amass a 24-point lead before intermission with Nowitzki -- hiding a case of bronchitis, according to team sources -- making one basket in the first half.

No could have foretold that McGrady and Yao would be forced to play two-on-five, because the rest of the team didn't show. Or that the rout would be so one-sided that Jeff Van Gundy would sit McGrady for the whole fourth quarter, since that's the only suffering Van Gundy could spare him.

Game 7s are supposed to belong to the superstars. Instead Nowitzki, who has been hacking incessantly for the past few days, had to receive postgame intravenous fluids after gutting out 14 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks ... and after joining your humble correspondent for a quick SportsCenter chat in which he insisted that he "actually didn't feel that bad" once he got a sweat going. Yet if you saw the interview, you know that Nowitzki was coughing into a towel after that answer.

Of course, Nowitzki was feeling princely compared to McGrady, who after a string of brilliant performances gets to hear the haters bash him for another summer. For two weeks, T-Mac ran his team's offense and scored at will and closely shadowed the 7-footer his coach calls the biggest matchup nightmare this side of Shaquille O'Neal. One bad night shouldn't wipe all that out, but it inevitably will for some because of McGrady's ongoing status as the NBA's Best Player To Never Win A Playoff Series.

"Whatever people want to say, if people say I'm a loser (or whatever), I promise you I will be back next year," McGrady said

He repeated the Schwarzenegger line several times and, truth be told, couldn't have been classier in defeat, all but inviting his critics to pile on.

"Because I will have the last laugh," McGrady warned.

Rest assured no one on the victorious side was chuckling at him. Dallas' respect for McGrady is boundless after the combination of T-Mac's length and quickness defensively and Nowitzki's own rhythm and health struggles robbed the Mavericks of the guy they were sure would win Game 7 for them.

The home team dominated the winner-take-all game because, to even the Mavericks' surprise, they instead had a posse of contributors who made it possible to seize that decisive 24-point lead in the first half with Nowitzki on the bench. Dallas' most effective five-man combo on this night, believe it or not, was Terry and Armstrong in the backcourt, flanked by Jerry Stackhouse, Howard (masquerading as a power forward) and Erick Dampier.

Only when the topic finally turned to Nash and the Suns did the mood turn somewhat light. Mavs mainstay Michael Finley insists there will be no hugging and kissing when the reunion commences Monday night.

Well ...

"Maybe between him and Dirk," Finley quipped.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mr. Nowitzki and Mr. Nash have done a lot together. But they won't do that. As far as Mr. Nowitzki is concerned, there's no kissing in the NBA. But maybe a hug before the game.

"Yeah, a manly hug," Mr. Nowitzki said.
[img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img] That's funny stuff. Thanks for the clarification Dirk.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
What's up with all the "Mr."s?
Front page stories follow more strict journalistic regulations than sports page stuff. The result is silly-sounding sports columns.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's difficult to imagine the Dallas Mavericks taking a more bizarre path to reach their showdown of destiny with the little MVP they let walk all the way to the desert.
I hate the way some journalists (and fans) try to play up this angle, just to hype a series that really doesn't need this kind of fake hype.

For the record:

It was the right move by Nash.

Damn right you take the big money and long-term security when it's offered. No way he'd have even been considered as an MVP candidate in Dallas. He was exactly what Phoenix needed to reinvigorate a moribund team, cleaning up the mess left by Marbury, helping the young talent to find its games. For sure, he was EVEN BETTER at it than most of us predicted--about 20-wins better, and 6-7 playoff seeds better.

It was the right move by Cuban.

No way Cuban should've paid him that money, no way the team could've begun the defense-oriented retooling with Nash at the point, highly unlikely they could've signed Dampier. Keeping Nash would've meant keeping an entertaining team together that would slowly decline into first-round-playoff-exit fodder. Cuban forced the window of opportunity open a couple of years wider for this team to contend for a championship with Dirk.

Rarely does a move work out so well for both parties. Now sit back and enjoy without any WWF-esque backstory.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote