Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default The Imus Stuff

Let me first qualify my comments by stating that I don't care nor like the Imus show. So the fan in me is glad that he is off the air, at least for now.

But when I look at this situation, I find that the Media and us as a nation, seem to have selective outrage when it comes to racial comments.

Forgive me, as this will seem rather foolish as I don't hold on to or keep a record of comments that others have made. I however, have heard racialy divisive comments made by others with no outrage by some cultural communities.

Is it perhaps because it was a member of their community that made it, so they don't call him out.

Amidst the Imus stuff...I hope to see more and more people pointing out the racially divisive comments made by others in the days to come. Regardless of our own cultural background, or ethnicity...if you are outraged by Imus, then you will be outraged by your own common ethnicity member when they say something publicly...

For example, there has been a comment in the past by Rev. Al Sharpton in which he talked about those Thieving Jews, and then later said that he didn't need to say Jews because we all knew what he meant. Why then, did we not have the same outrage at Rev. Sharpton?

I am certain many of you have examples of comments that have been made...for that matter how about the very public comments that politicians have made about comparing President Bush to Hitler? Politicians are the worst at creating divisive communications, but if it's against someone that the media or people don't like, then apparantly it's okay.

It appears to me that defending social injustice only works one way...that is selective in nature and only when it benefits me or my kind.

So much for free speech...It's only a freedom as long as your speech doesn't hurt me...think about it, perhaps we should simply no longer speak at all...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter