Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-21-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bobcats swing Deal

the Bobcats have just traded their #4 overall pick and something else (i'm not sure) for the #2 overall pick. This would lead me to believe they are taking either the 18 y.o. kid at the PF slot or Okafor, both would not complimet the drafting of Walker in the expansion draft.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 PM   #2
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all
Default RE:Bobcats swing Deal

I really don't think they will be taking Walker. We will have to find some other means of trading him or keeping him this year.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Clippers=Dumb
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #4
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Dooby
Clippers=Dumb
Clippers=Cheap
Old 06-21-2004, 09:54 PM   #5
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

The Bobs will be picking up Predrag Drobnjak from the Clips. While the Clips give up #2 pick and second rounder for the #4 pick. They are creating more cap space to make a run at Kobe!!

Mavs need to grab Shaq quickly. We'll see what happens tommorow....
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they created nearly enough cap space, even though they did create an additional 3.3m by dumping the Drobjnak salary. They have enough space to go after a guy like Nash, but he's not coming there. They don't have anywhere close to $20m/year in cap space, which is what it would take to get Kobe.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:09 AM   #7
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

the Lakers are the ONLY team that can offer Kobe over the Max, and they will if they want to keep him, and all reports say they do. I hope they have fun lying in the bed they made with an "alleged" rapist.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
They don't have anywhere close to $20m/year in cap space, which is what it would take to get Kobe.
The Clippers actually are pretty close, though they have other choices that they are more likely to opt for. They right now (after moving Drobnjak) have about 30 committed for 2004-05 against an estimated 44-45 cap, leaving about 14-15 available. Kobe's max should be $14,172,375 if my math is correct.

Their team cap space has lots of other factors though. They would have to renounce their RFAs and Team Option players and exceptions (and draft picks most likely) to still have 14.17 left for Kobe. But TECHNICALLY it looks right now like they could make Kobe a max offer if they prefer.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:35 AM   #9
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
the Lakers are the ONLY team that can offer Kobe over the Max.
Lakers can exceed their TEAM cap to keep Kobe. But they (just like everyone else) cannot offer Kobe more than the mandated individual max salary, whch in Kobe's case will be approx 14.17 million.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:30 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: Poindexter Einstein
Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
They don't have anywhere close to $20m/year in cap space, which is what it would take to get Kobe.
The Clippers actually are pretty close, though they have other choices that they are more likely to opt for. They right now (after moving Drobnjak) have about 30 committed for 2004-05 against an estimated 44-45 cap, leaving about 14-15 available. Kobe's max should be $14,172,375 if my math is correct.

Their team cap space has lots of other factors though. They would have to renounce their RFAs and Team Option players and exceptions (and draft picks most likely) to still have 14.17 left for Kobe. But TECHNICALLY it looks right now like they could make Kobe a max offer if they prefer.
This is what I was getting at. The draft pick still costs $2.5m against the cap, and Dooling and Richardson are RFAs. They can renounce their RFAs and team option players, but they're stuck with that 1st rounder's salary, unless of course they just renounce the pick. I can't see them doing that.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:52 AM   #11
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

They could sell the pick for 3 mill to get cap space, and some benefit. Selling it, is, renouncing it, I suppose, in a roundabout way.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:01 AM   #12
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Default RE: Bobcats swing Deal

They can trade the pick for a future pick and erase the cap cost, if Kobe was the direction they wanted to chase. (SA will likely do that this week, to get more room for Ginobili). I think the Clipps prefer the pick and the RFAs though
Old 06-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I think the Clips would have to KNOW that Kobe was coming to walk away from taking Livingston. That's the guy they want and the reason they were willing to move down (because they know Chicago won't take him at 3).