Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-28-2002, 09:26 PM   #1
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

I saw this over at LMF. This kid is 16 years old. I have never heard of him before, but a name to store away-a long name at that.

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/sop...rtsianitis.htm
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2002, 09:59 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Geez. I had to buy a vowel just to read that name. phew.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

good lord. the boy is gonna be a beast.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 11:12 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

What's in their water?
Old 05-29-2002, 08:47 AM   #5
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

"Watching a colored player of enormous dimensions rise from the bench of Iraklis, in the second period of the game against Olympiakos, the Olympiakos’ fans in the Glyfada’s Basketball Hall must have wondered: "What happened to playing against teams without foreigners on their roster?" Of course, he is not a foreigner. Welcome the greatest hope of Greek basketball in many years. His color is dark. But his name is as Greek as it gets, as is his background: Sophocles (Shortsianitis)."

This quote is from that article about Sophocles...WTF??..."colored"...I'm white, but I find that term very racist and very much 1960s white America. No need to refer to a person as colored...sounds like my grandfather. Just a little rant...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 08:59 AM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ease up on the moral outrage.

Ever heard of a translation?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 09:19 AM   #7
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

nbadraft.net is not a foreign site. To refer to someone as colored is offensive...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 05-29-2002, 09:19 AM   #8
The Crippler
Diamond Member

nm
Old 05-29-2002, 09:52 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< nbadraft.net is not a foreign site. To refer to someone as colored is offensive... >>

If you look at the bottom, the piece is identified as a translation.

In any case, if it truly offends, perhaps the NAACP should be alerted.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 11:28 AM   #10
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

And the translator was clearly not an English as first-language speaker. Someone might point out to him that 'colored' may be in his Greek-English Dictionary as a translation for individuals of African descent, but its not a polite term, but otherwise there is not much to get worked up about.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 08:39 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

If the site is reputable and someone points it out they will change it. But they should still have editors that look out for this type of thing.