Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-31-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Ahh...one step closer to enjoying Murf's sabbatical....
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2002, 09:48 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

hahaha
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:49 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

The Celtics hardly made New Jersey sweat. I thought they would be better than they were. But I did have New Jersey in the finals on the prediction thread.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I think the two losses steeled the Nets pretty well. In a weird way, the huge comeback win by the Celtics seemed to toughen them mentally.

I honestly think the Nets v. Kings will be a good matchup (if Sacramento can manage to squeak past the Lakers and leave Murphy with false hopes).

The individual matchups will actually be pretty interesting--

Kidd v. Bibby
Kittles v. Christie
Martin v. SheWeb
Van Horn v. Hedo/Peja
MacCullough v. Divac

Harris v. Jackson
Jefferson v. Hedo/Peja
Williams v. Pollard
Collins v. ?

Seems like Scott goes a little deeper into his bench, and relies more consistently on bench production.

Should be interesting to have the international attention focused intensely on the NBA, and to have a well-contested final, for a change. I'm still looking for the Nets to win in what will be a slight upset.
Old 05-31-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

problem is that when you compare the matchups, the kings win most of them...at least three probably four out of the starters..
both teams have solid benches though
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:26 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

The west will beat the least 4-1. It doesn't matter what teams are involved.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:40 PM   #7
Deja-Vu

Deja-Vu is on a distinguished road

The Least? Are you serious? The Nets will give either of those teams a run for their money, and I expect the East to win.
Deja-Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:32 AM   #8
NotEnuffEyesToSee

NotEnuffEyesToSee is on a distinguished road

Congrats 2 Nets, I think I don't like Boston.
Too many lives to lead Not enough time
It's too late
NotEnuffEyesToSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:34 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

my computer seems to be acting up. There is a large blank spot between two of those posts above. Odd.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:01 AM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< problem is that when you compare the matchups, the kings win most of them...at least three probably four out of the starters.. >>

Break down the matchup advantages for us, Murph.

Also, just in case the Kings don't make it, why don't you do a Lakers/Nets breakdown too.
Just to be safe.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:05 PM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Kidd v. Bibby advantage Nets

Kittles v. Christie no advantage. Kittle scores slightly more but Christie is a more efficient scorer and a much better defender

Martin v. SheWeb advantage Kings
Van Horn v. Hedo/Peja advantage Kings
MacCullough v. Divac advantage Kings

Harris v. Jackson advantage kings
Jefferson v. Hedo/Peja advantage kings
Williams v. Pollard
Collins v. ?

Seems like Scott goes a little deeper into his bench, and relies more consistently on bench production.

Scott has to go deeper into his bench because aside from Kidd, none of his starters could start for Sacramento and none of his bench could even break the 8 man rotation. In addition, the two teams play a similar game so the Kings have a very good idea of how to guard the Nets passing/cutting game and have more than enough shooters that they won't be phased by the Nets zone that gave the Celtics so much trouble.

I'm still looking for the Nets to win in what will be a slight upset. >>

A Nets win would be a huge upset. The Nets winning more than one game would be big upset.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:37 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Good analysis, Hoops.

The only one I disagree with is the Van Horn vs. Peja/Hedo.

Granted Van Horn isn't great, but with Peja still trying to find his rythym and Hedo wildly incosistent, then I consider that matchup a &quot;wash.&quot;

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:48 PM   #13
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Granted Van Horn isn't great, but with Peja still trying to find his rythym and Hedo wildly incosistent, then I consider that matchup a &quot;wash.&quot; >>

That's assuming that Peja hasn't found his rhythm by the time they play the Nets--so in other words, its a wash only if Peja is playing much worse than usual. Assuming he's going to be doing so for even the majority of the series, would be a mistake, IMHO.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:57 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< That's assuming that Peja hasn't found his rhythm by the time they play the Nets--so in other words, its a wash only if Peja is playing much worse than usual. Assuming he's going to be doing so for even the majority of the series, would be a mistake, IMHO. >>

He hasn't played well the entire postseason. This year or years past. Maybe Webber rubs off on him, I don't know but I'd be surprised if Peja finds his rythym in the Finals (if they make it that far).

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:00 PM   #15
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

problem is that when you compare the matchups, the kings win most of them...at least three probably four out of the starters..

This is the problem with matchups that some times it doesn't matter. The Mavs had the edge in three of the five matchups and it didn't do them any good. Sometimes it matters how the game unfolds.

Old 06-01-2002, 03:42 PM   #16
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

<< The Least? Are you serious? The Nets will give either of those teams a run for their money, and I expect the East to win. >>

Why doesn't that surprise me?
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote