Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-21-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/3706273.htm

Actually, the Mavericks may be one of those teams. Word is that Dallas owner Mark Cuban, who has had an interest in Knicks guard Allan Houston in the past, may be interested enough to swap guard Nick Van Exel for Sprewell, believing that the Knicks' guard/forward could play alongside Mavs guard Michael Finley.

But that doesn't appear to be Cuban's only option.

The Heat are said to be interested in Van Exel (for Miami forward Brian Grant) as well, after they heard that free-agent guard Rod Strickland, who was expected to return, may be heading to Indiana to play for Pacers coach Isiah Thomas.
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

I would approve of both those trades, but we'd need to sign a back-up pg to go with AJ
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:27 PM   #3
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Don't care for the Grant idea, just don't think he worth all that, but Spree is a badass and an old Nellie player, I would do it, but what would we do for a back up PG. I think we will hang on to NVE at least until the trade deadline.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:40 PM   #4
Dirk77
Banned

If we were able to sign a pg, i'd take nick for Grant
Old 07-21-2002, 09:45 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm much more interested in getting Spree than Grant.

If that were to happen, would we be able to get that pg they drafted in the 2nd round? Wasn't it rumored that the Knicks drafted him for us anyway? Milos Vujanic.

As for a backup...what about John Celestand?
Old 07-21-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Just don't think grant would help us, pretty good rebounder, but not great, not very good offensively, he would definitly not be liked by Nellie. I like spree, him and Finley would be our finishers, we would have some sweet dunks.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:55 PM   #7
foglemann
Golden Member

MFF, I don't know who that John guy is, but if we do get Grant, I did think that Omar Cook was a great pick up, the kid can ball.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:00 PM   #8
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Celestand played for us last year on the summer league team...or was that the year before? He played well but there wasn't really a chance he was going to make our roster. We were full at the time.

He's playing pretty decent for us this time around, too. Him and AJ could back Nash nicely, imo.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:09 PM   #9
Dirk77
Banned

NY's draft guy was Frank Williams.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I was talking about the 2nd round pick, Dirk77. Milos Vujanic.

Thanks for looking, though.

I doubt he'd get much playing time, if any at all, but it would be nice if the Mavs actually kept a young prospect to groom behind Nash for a change.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:42 PM   #11
Dirk77
Banned

oh, sorry.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:28 PM   #12
foglemann
Golden Member

I still say Omar Cook as a good back-up point guard. Very quick, cutting, extremly excellent passer, and he can shoot ok. Just doesn't have much size. I like him a lot, Lead the NBDL in assets and didn't even play for them all year.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #13
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Why on earth would we rather have spreewell than Grant? Spreewell would give us ANOTHER perimeter player. But hey, he can dunk so let's get him? Give me a break. Spree is as streaky as they come. Without looking, I'd say he only shoot marginally better than NVE.

Grant is a SOLID post defender. Probably TWICE the post defender than any of our current crop. He can't score. Who cares? We don't need someone who's going to do what Finley already can. We need someone who can do what Dirk/Raef/BWS can't.

Give me Grant, the guy who plays a position of need.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

<< I still say Omar Cook as a good back-up point guard. Very quick, cutting, extremly excellent passer, and he can shoot ok. Just doesn't have much size. I like him a lot, Lead the NBDL in assets and didn't even play for them all year. >>

Yea I agree it would have been nice to develop Omar Cook more. I still think he is gonna be atleast a decent point guard int his league and maybe even more.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:10 AM   #15
Lvubun1

Lvubun1 is on a distinguished road

<< Why on earth would we rather have spreewell than Grant? Spreewell would give us ANOTHER perimeter player. But hey, he can dunk so let's get him? Give me a break. Spree is as streaky as they come. Without looking, I'd say he only shoot marginally better than NVE. . >>

Actually your wrong, NVE actually shot better this year .409 to .403 I agree 100% i don't understand the Spreewell stuff either, the Mavs are suppose to be getting bigger not adding to a already high-powered offense. What does Spree bring that the Mavs don't already have, BG while having a lackluster season, last season he was considered one of the top 5-10 PFs in the league. If the Mavs aren't going to try to get a big man I would rather have NVE then Spree. First off, NVE knows his role, his shots per. were 4th right where they should be, Spree isn't a 10-11 shot guy, he will start and shoot probably about as much as Finley more then Dirk and Nash. In New York he was option 1a along with Houston who was option 1b, and still complained about shots, don't see Spree as the 4th option and being happy. Remember NVE's problem wasn't complaining about getting shots like Spreewell's it was playing for a loser.

Also think we wondering in &quot;Fantasy&quot; Basketball or Playstation 2 land. Lets get a big-named player for a year then when we get tired of him lets try out another big-name player, just like you do in video games, it was exciting at first to have NVE but it got old now lets get someone else. By the trading deadline Spree's head will be on a stick with everybody hoping for another big-name player
Lvubun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:44 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Lest we forget....Spree has three years 41 million remainging. It's not like we can just move him or the Knicks would have already done so. And those legs aren't as good as they used to be. Spree is getting older....not better...
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:46 AM   #17
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If the Mavs aren't going to try to get a big man I would
rather have NVE then Spree.

Amen brother.....amen!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:58 AM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

well, i think spree is the better player... but, i have no bones to pick with anyone that would rather have nve than spree.. nve can be a serviceable backup PG whereas spree would be playing a position where the mavs have enough players already
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:14 AM   #19
foglemann
Golden Member

I don't consider Grant to be all that great, he has Zo, Not wang/Bradley/Esch/Reaf to back him up if he lets his man get by. He barely has a career average of eight rebounds per game and also, the guys gets hella money for playing a premier position and he's not even that good. I'm sorry, he's fat with fat dreads, but that is it, he would not solve our problem, just make the logjam at PF even worse.

And for Spree, I think he would be good here, but of course we would be able to use Nick in a better way. I don't think they would get spree, but Nash/Spree/Fin/Dirk/Reaf would be a bad ass team IMO.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:25 PM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Spree sucks. He is obviously of bad character, and he plays a position which we are currently STACKED. Spree's old.

Brian Grant is NOT fat, he's jacked. Do you remember when Miami kicked our asses this year in Dallas? B Grant had Dirk tied up. He's a great man-to-man defender. Let's not diminish what 8 rebounds is.

8 rebounds from B Grant at PF, 8 from Raef at C, and 10 from Dirk at SF is 26 rebounds. AND we've got a frontline that won't give up layups as if they were Enron stock.

10 rebounds from Dirk, 8 from Raef, and Spree's 4 give us 22 rebounds. We also have yet another buffet at the hoop.

Oh, and how's this for a nightmare. Spreewell shot 200 times MORE than dirk did this past season. He also played 41 minutes a game. Can you see him coming here and being happy? Maybe, but he'd still jack up some shitty shots. But hey, he'd help our gangsta appeal.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:35 PM   #21
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk had 30 and 24 against Miami I though? Hardly tied up.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:54 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Umm...you're wrong. I'm referring to the game in March. The one where he only had 21 and 6.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:04 PM   #23
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

who'd ya'll prefer Grant, thomas, or Oak?

Old 07-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

thomas
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 06:31 PM   #25
Dirk77
Banned

21 is hardly tied up.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:51 PM   #26
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Considering the way Dirk was playing at the time it was...

Besides, that's only one of my contentions. Read the rest.