Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-21-2002, 12:35 AM   #1
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

GO FOR IT CUBAN AND NELLIE!!!!

Got this from a poster at DB.com

Lewis annoyed by Sonics' latest attempt to sign him
Frank Hughes; The News Tribune

Seattle SuperSonics free-agent forward Rashard Lewis is extremely unhappy with the team's efforts at re-signing him, sources say, and is considering leaving for another team.

According to one source, the Sonics offered Lewis $49 million, less than half of the $102 million contract he is seeking.

Lewis also recently learned that the most the Sonics can offer him while staying below the luxury tax threshold is $56 million, and he became extremely disappointed, a source said, to the point where he is considering signing a short-term contract with another team for its mid-level exception.

The source of Lewis' displeasure is that he believes that the Sonics are being disloyal to him after he displayed the loyalty they sought two summers ago.

Then, Lewis had a six-year, $46 million offer from the Toronto Raptors that he turned down because he believed the Sonics indicated to him that if he re-signed with them, they would pay him in the future.

At the time, Lewis signed a three-year, $13.2 million deal with an escape clause after the second season, which he exercised in June.

Now, the Sonics are believed to be offering Lewis only a few million dollars more than he had turned down from the Raptors even though he has two more years of experience, including last season, when he averaged 17 points and seven rebounds a game.

It appears the Sonics' approach to this negotiation is that no other team can offer Lewis as much money as they can, so they are willing to chance that Lewis will make the sound financial decision of a long-term deal rather than make decisions based on emotion.

"It's not the first year of the contract that counts," Sonics general manager Rick Sund said. "It's the size of the total package.

"If Rashard wants to go to another team, there is nothing I can do about that."

Lewis is asking for $90 million from Seattle because that is equivalent to the seven-year, $86 million contract that Vin Baker has, and Lewis - whom the Sonics have tabbed as a future cornerstone - believes he contributes more to the team than Baker.

But what has Lewis nearly as frustrated with the Sonics' opening offer, a source said, is that the team agreed to a contract Wednesday with center Jerome James for three years and $15 million, with an opening salary of $4.5 million - only $500,000 less than Lewis's opening salary would be, despite James averaging 5.6 points and 4.1 rebounds.

James and Lewis had been in contact talks for the past week, sources say, and when James called Lewis on Wednesday to tell him he had come to an agreement, James asked Lewis if he would accept a contract for $54 million. Lewis, the source said, was so upset that he had to end the conversation.

If Lewis does not re-sign with the Sonics, he has several options. He could take a three-year, $15 million deal from another team to earn his Larry Bird rights, which would enable him to re-sign with that team for any amount.

Or, he could sign a one-year, $4.5 million contract and go back into free agency next summer, when six teams will have substantial money under the salary cap to pursue a list of free agents that include Jason Kidd, Tim Duncan, Alonzo Mourning and Jermaine O'Neal.

Sources say Sonics management has heard rumors of Lewis' displeasure and are doing everything they can to reassure him he is part of their future. But for now Lewis is concerned more with the size of his contract than what he thinks are empty promises.

Might sign with another team for the 4.5??? That is us, baby. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't he from the Dallas area?? I know he is from Texas, but isn't his hometown near Dallas?? Lewis at SF would be awesome. And please, spare the "He doesn't give us what we need" comments. If anyone says anything about Kurt Thomas I will shit myself. True, we don't get a defensive player in the low post, but our rebounding will improve slightly and maybe we can still add some sort of banger through a S & T. While he doesn;t fulfill our needs I don't think you can pass this kid up at 4.5 million dollars.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2002, 12:47 AM   #2
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

He would definitely fit in with the young, quick Mavs. His defence is good too. (I believe he was in the top 10 for steals?) He could jump right in and start at the 3.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:50 AM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If Houston gets him for the mid-level... OHHH I'm gonna be so mad.

But -- this is a money argument, and it'll come down to money in the end... so most likely, he'll go to who can give him the most money now, which is Seattle.

Man, wouldn't he solve the SF issue. Goodness.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:04 AM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< He would definitely fit in with the young, quick Mavs. His defence is good too. (I believe he was in the top 10 for steals?) He could jump right in and start at the 3. >>

Just out of the top ten for forwards, but 1.46 steals a game is good stuff. He increased it by .3 steals a game last year. He averages more steals than Garnett.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 01:06 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of steals - Finley's steals dropped from 1.4 per game 2 years ago to .9 per game last year. WTF?!?
Old 07-21-2002, 01:11 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

Of course Nash's dropped as well - 1.0 to .6
Old 07-21-2002, 01:14 AM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

From the stories I'm reading, Seattle has indicated time and time again that their not going to give him the money that he is asking for.

It's the classic pissing match going on right now. The only hope is that he gets pissed off and leaves for the mid-level exception.

However, I don't see our name mentioned anywhere, but I'd hope Cuban is looking into possibly getting him. I'd be furious if he ends up in Houston for something we can offer him.

Old 07-21-2002, 01:21 AM   #8
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I think he's asking for too much. You sit here and say that you need to do something before you earn money for it.

But then you look at what they just gave James. Would you be happy if you were Rashard, making $500k more than James? I'd find it somewhat insulting. He's definately not a max player but Seattle should give him more than their current offer.
Old 07-21-2002, 11:40 AM   #9
Base Line Guy
Golden Member

Base Line Guy is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Marko will be in the hunt. He would be a natural fit!

BLG
Old 07-21-2002, 08:18 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

who do you think the mavs give up to get him in a sign and trade?... finley?

RL in a mavs uniform isn't going to happen.. i can't see it...he's a young and very talented player that is only going to improve
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 09:58 PM   #11
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Would you give up Reaf for him?????
I would
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:04 PM   #12
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Me too.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #13
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

why not throw in finley?
if we can trade finley for an unproven Rookie like Yao Ming we can easily trade him for a guy like rashard lewis ...
Old 07-21-2002, 10:24 PM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

S - A - R - C - A - S - M

just in case someone dont get it
Old 07-21-2002, 10:32 PM   #15
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

The only way Rashard is a possibility is if he gets is draws in a bunch and decides to leave Seattle. Then, our mid-level is as good as anyone elses.
Old 07-21-2002, 10:45 PM   #16
DirkNash1341

DirkNash1341 is on a distinguished road

I don't think anybody mentioned a sign and trade, Murph. I was referring to what rhylan said. Lewis becoming upset and leaving Seattle for someone's 4.5.
DirkNash1341 is offline   Reply With Quote