Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-22-2002, 09:42 AM   #1
NYMavFan

NYMavFan is on a distinguished road

<< Mavericks come courting Lewis
Frank Hughes; The News Tribune

Knowing that free-agent forward Rashard Lewis has been unhappy in his dealings with the Seattle Sonics, the Dallas Mavericks have contacted him about the possibility of arranging a visit to the Western Conference semifinalists, according to sources.

Meanwhile, the Sonics on Sunday lost forward Olumide Oyedeji, who signed a contract with the Orlando Magic, and the team is going to lose guard Earl Watson, who signed an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies.

The most Dallas could offer Lewis is its mid-level exception, a $4.5 million salary. Lewis could take that and re-enter free agency next season, when six teams are projected to have money under the salary cap. Or, Lewis could accept a three-year deal for $15 million and obtain his Bird rights with Dallas, which would enable Dallas to give Lewis a maximum contract in the summer of 2005.

Watson signed a three-year, $4 million offer sheet with the Grizzlies on Friday. While Seattle has 15 days to make a decision on whether it wants to match the Grizzlies' offer and retain Watson, it would be required to get under the salary cap to do so.

Frank Hughes

>>

NYMavFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2002, 09:53 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not sure why he'd want to come in to dallas and play 3rd-4th fiddle for much less money than what he's worth..but, if he'd like to do that for a year or three..that's cool with me.

i like his game and i can only see him improving
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 09:59 AM   #3
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Nash, Fin, Lewis, Dirk, Raef

VanE, Griffin, TaW, Najera, Bradley, Russell, Oakley, Esch, Wang, Sekularac

LOG JAM
Old 07-22-2002, 10:02 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

of course it would be a logjam..but any time you get a chance to upgrade like that..you take it.

najera, griffin, and TAW would see their minutes drop from where we thought they'd be if the mavs sign Lewis.
Old 07-22-2002, 10:02 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

actually there´s still some guys missing in this roster:

AJ, and some guy we might get off the buckner deal ...
Old 07-22-2002, 10:16 AM   #6
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

<< i'm not sure why he'd want to come in to dallas and play 3rd-4th fiddle for much less money than what he's worth..but, if he'd like to do that for a year or three..that's cool with me.

i like his game and i can only see him improving
>>

I think the theory is that it would lead to a Derrick-Anderson-to-Portland scenario.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:23 AM   #7
Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown is on a distinguished road

I am dreaming about this possible opening day lineup.

PG Steve Nash/Nick Van Exel
SG Michael Finley/Adrian Griffin/Tariq Abdul-Wahad
SF Rashard Lewis/Matt Harpring
PF Dirk Nowitzki/Eduardo Najera/Charles Oakley
C Raef Lafrentz/Wang Zhi Zhi

Although we need more interior muscle and rebounding, I think Rashard would fit very well with our system. He's a high percentage shooting perimeter player that will be better than any one on the team in creating his own shot in a couple years. I think he can utilized at times in a potential BIG lineup with him at shooting guard. The guy can also rebound, run, and play defense. No need to bring in the Griffin's and Abdul-Wahad for defensive purposes. Just keep Rashard in there and let him replace Finley at SG, when Fin goes out. I think Fin's game is peaking and I don't mind the Mavs picking up one last star offensive player. If he came to the Mavs, I still see Dirk being the #1 option, but eventually Lewis could replace Fin as the #2 option, with Fin next, then Nash, who'll go back to serving his primary ball distributing role in a couple years.

We still need interior defense, and we can use Nick Van Exel and/or Wang Zhi Zhi to pick up a big man, but NOT olowakandi or thomas. Brian Grant, maybe. I like Elden Campbell, but we'll see . . . first, we should try to get Lewis and sell him on the fact that Cuban is the most loyal owner in the NBA (unlike the Sonics) and we'll give him the max in 3 years.
3. Heidi Klum - the source of my perspiration
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 AM   #8
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I know Nellie and Cuban have managed to pull some rabbits out of their hats before but I don't see this one happening. The smart thing to do in todays NBA marketplace is to sign a long-term deal, anything else would be taking a risk. I'm sure Lewis and his agent will eventualy give in to this fact.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

True, but Lewis is only 22. He gets full bird rights again in three years if he signs with a new team.

If I were him and Seatle wasn't willing to pay market value, I'd go somewhere else for the mid-exception for 6 years with a player opt-out clause after 3 years. That is what I would do. Not sure it is possible under the CBA.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:04 PM   #10
Dirk77
Banned

Dirk77 is on a distinguished road

I don't really see Lewis ever being a higher option then Fin.
Dirk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:06 PM   #11
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

It be sweet if they landed Lewis cause then they wouldn't sign Russell. They would probably let Buck leave for nothing also. If they landed Lewis I think all attention would be payed Najera and Wang, and that's it.(no more additions)

C Lafrentz / Bradley / Esch
PF Dirk / Wang
SF Lewis / NAJERA(pf &amp; sf)/ TAW
SG FIN / Griff / SEk
PG Nash / NVE / AJ

Old 07-22-2002, 01:10 PM   #12
Stressboy91

Stressboy91 is on a distinguished road

Maybe I am wrong, but couldn't Rashard force a sign and trade and because he would be BYC, he could get signed for let's say 8 mil to start and the Sonics would only have to take back 4 mil for him. Dallas also has a 900k trade exemption according to realgm so dallas would send them Mladen, trade exemption, 1st rounder, eschmeyer(his salary works) or maybe they sign and trade Najera at 5 mil (BYC 2.5) 3 years, mladen and trade exemption. Then again maybe I'm not reading the CBA stuff clearly. Can anyone clarify?
Stressboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:14 PM   #13
Nellie
Golden Member

I thought we used the trade exemption in the Hardaway deal last year(?)
Old 07-22-2002, 01:16 PM   #14
Stressboy91

that was a ~3mil execption that Miami still has. It says we have a 900k one right now. Most teams in the league have 1 around the 1 mil mark with only the Bucks 4.6mil and Heat having big ones.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:16 PM   #15
Dooby
Diamond Member

<< Maybe I am wrong, but couldn't Rashard force a sign and trade and because he would be BYC, he could get signed for let's say 8 mil to start and the Sonics would only have to take back 4 mil for him. Dallas also has a 900k trade exemption according to realgm so dallas would send them Mladen, trade exemption, 1st rounder, eschmeyer(his salary works) or maybe they sign and trade Najera at 5 mil (BYC 2.5) 3 years, mladen and trade exemption. Then again maybe I'm not reading the CBA stuff clearly. Can anyone clarify? >>

This doesn't work b/c we are over the cap. We can't send $5M in salary away and take back $8M. We still would have to give away at least $8M in salary.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:19 PM   #16
Stressboy91

Doobie, so what you are saying is the only way to work that kind of trade would be to include one of the teams under the cap so they would take the extra 3-4mil in salries that Seattle could not take but we have to give up.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:21 PM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

I think that Rashard Lewis for the mid-level exception would obviously be a great pick-up. If it happens, it will be purely a money decision--Seattle is lowballing Lewis (at least in his mind--I actually think their offer is a fairly legitimate gauge of his worth). Only a couple of teams can offer more than Dallas and none of them so far seem interested. Dallas is willing to give him the exception and given Cuban's track record Lewis could probably figure that in a year or two, when the CBA allowed it, he would get paid.

I agree he would be 4th option and I doubt he'd like that--even though that's really where what he has shown in the league so far puts him--a great 2nd-4th option. But if we could use him for 2 years then trade him at an inflated rate to some team that assumes he will be even better when they showcase him as opposed to his role playing in Dallas, I'm even more for this possible signing..
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 01:24 PM   #18
Dooby
Diamond Member

Yeah, but using Najera creates our own BYC issues. We could only take back $2.5M for trading Najera at $4.5, which Najera ain't worth anyway (numbers are guesses). You could use NVE in a three-way.

Outside of a 3-way deal, I don't see how you get this done. Thish is the kind of deal that the BYC clause was designed to prevent, so I guess it works.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:25 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

RLewis may never be a great #1 guy..but i can see him as a #2-#4 guy that plays solid defense..i have no problem with them bringing him in
Old 07-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #20
Nellie
Golden Member

If Lewis does leave Seattle for the exception elswhere, the chances of that team being the Mavs are extremely low. Houston is where Lewis is from and has been outspoken in his desire to play there some day. Word is the Rockets are willing to give him their exception too which means we are SOL.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:29 PM   #21
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

actually if we can do a multiple sign and trade it won´t cause too much problems - just have to make sure that all players are sign-and-tradees ...

something like signing buck and najera, sending them to phillie, they sign harpring, send them to seattle, they sign lewis, send him over to us.

all involved can make around 4-6 million i believe then, and contract lengths may make this work.

then sign oakley for the vet minimum, get russell (whatever we need him for) and a big guy for the exception, and done.
Old 07-22-2002, 01:32 PM   #22
Dooby
Diamond Member

Nope. BYC issues make that scenario impossible.

Old 07-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #23
Stressboy91

Do you think the Clips would swing the deal for us in exchange for Najera. I know they already have a huge draw, but Najera would be a great marketing tool for the owner who might be on the way to pissing off the fans again. In that scenario, Lewis would have to agree to start at 9 mil 6-7years and at that starting price his raises are smaller over the life of the contract, that makes him 4.5milBYC(Dallas), we S&amp;T Najera 2milBYC(Clipps), Avery Johnson 5mil(Seattle), Mladen(Seattle), 1st rounder(Seattle), trade exception, Clipps 2nd rounder to dallas to make the exchange.

Seattle: gets 5 mil Avery johnson and picks which is within the 15% of the 4.5BYC.
Dallas: give Najera 2milBYC Johnson 5mil and trade exception for a total of about 8 mil to get 9mil player which is within the 15%. (Again this is complicated stuff and if this is wrong and we have to get 7.5mil back, then maybe the Clips send us Rooks along with Rashard which would be 4.5BYC+2Mil which is within 15% of what the 7.5mil we sent out.)
Clipps: get Najera at 4 mil per year.

There are other ways the clipps could work the deal, maybe they would want AJ instead to have a pg with some experience if the Miller deal never happens, then they could package the players to give to the sonics and they keep Najera and AJ. All of it is just a wild thought.
Old 07-22-2002, 02:15 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

well, one thing that would help the mavs over the rockets is that the mavs may be able to compete for a title very soon..whereas the rockets...it could be awhile
Old 07-22-2002, 02:49 PM   #25
Nellie
Golden Member

<< well, one thing that would help the mavs over the rockets is that the mavs may be able to compete for a title very soon..whereas the rockets...it could be awhile >>

I wouldn't sell the rockets too short. There is a lot of talent on that team and they have kicked our ass on more than one occasion.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Of course..they do have alot of talent..but, i think it's a few years, 3-4 before they can become an elite team... now, they'll definitely be able to compete for a playoff spot this year (at least, that's what i think).

now, if lewis wanted to compete for a title in the next 2-3 years, dallas is about as good of a place as any to do so
Old 07-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #27
Nellie
Golden Member

<< now, if lewis wanted to compete for a title in the next 2-3 years, dallas is about as good of a place as any to do so >>

I hope you are right. I'm not sure I am as optimistic about that but it sure would be nice.
Old 07-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #28
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with murph on houston. For one thing it will take yao 2-3 years just to be competent. And except for stevie, they don't have much else. They had to play small ball all year and their small ball showed up our perimeter defense problems big-time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

i said they are &quot;about as good as any&quot;.. not as good as any..,there's the lakers and the kings that are better...rlewis would help lessen the gap.. but the mavs would still need an inside presence
Old 07-22-2002, 04:52 PM   #30
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Houston doesnt seem like they would be more appealing than Dallas, Hou has a lot od ball hoggin' gaurds. I think if he came here Nash and Fin would gladly give some of the scoring load to him. THen Nash would be able to rest more cause you wouldn't need his scoring as much, also Fin could concentrate on D and rebounding More.
Dirk - 23 ppg
Fin 15- 20
Lewis 15-20
Nash 12-18
Raef too
Old 07-22-2002, 10:39 PM   #31
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Man im so hyped right now if Mavs could get Rashard Lewis this would be a fantastic pick up. In my eyes I think Rashard is still a project and and a damn good one too. And plus he is only 22 years old and can get u anywhere from 15-17 a game? I would love to bring him in here especially for the 4.5 mill exception. He also has a lil small post up game I saw him do a couple times in the playoffs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote