Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-09-2001, 11:00 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Lets try a change of pace. Rather than ripping the various Mavs who have had a bad game or a bad series, let's try being positive.

Booth is a valuable backup and change of pace for Bradley. We need to resign him.

Bradley played better than I ever imagined he would. We definitely need to resign him.

Buckner played very well. Showed a lot of energy. Definitely the third or the fourth guard off the bench next year.

Eisley might have played himself into a role for next year. If we can't come up with a better backup point, I'll be satisfied with him.

Finley is our All-Star. We need to resign him.

Najera is a guy who hustles the entire time he is in the game. Definitely a keeper.

Nash was gutsy all season. He moved himself into the top ten point guards in the league.

Nowitzki is a superstar in the making. The sky's the limit.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2001, 11:08 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

1) Yes, I agree. Booth MUST be re-signed.

2) Though he has played better then I thought he would this series, he hasn't played good enough to change my mind. Let him go, he's not the answer.

3) Buck needs and should be a bigger part of the team next year. He's tooo good. #1(maybe 2) backup at SF.

4) No comment. Still haven't decided on him.

5) Yep, MUST re-sign Fin.

6) Effort and Energy. That's always a plus. He should be a bigger piece to the puzzle next year.

7) Yes, I agree.

8) I agree here too. Needs to become the #1 option.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 11:15 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Those are all great points MFFL, but the fact remains that as it stands, the Mavs do not have what it takes to compete with the top tier teams in the league. There's a reason why the Lakers and Spurs have manhandled us all season long. The team DEFINITELY needs an upgrade at the pf and guard positions.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2001, 11:19 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

All I'm saying is that discussion should wait UNTIL the off-season. Emotions are running hot right now and rational discussions rarely happen when clouded by emotions.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:22 PM   #5
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Yea you're right. There's nothing to be ashamed about here. Going from 40 wins to 53 is no small feat, and neither is upsetting the Jazz in a Game 5 at the Delta Center to advance to the conference semi's. Just hate the thought of getting swept. The Mavs have not dropped more than three in a row so far this season. What a horrible time for that stat to change.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:26 PM   #6
MFFL
Guru

What the Mavs have accomplished this year is incredible. The development of Nash and Nowitzki made this year a success just by themselves. Add the energy of Cuban and the playoff victories - I'm very happy. We got experience this year. We may get "experience" again next year. But the future is so bright with this team.
Old 05-09-2001, 11:31 PM   #7
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yes, I agree. Mavs made the playoffs for the first time in 11 years. I believe I predicted the mavs to win 43-46 games this year and barely make the playoffs, if at all. They've severly past my expectations. And it feels GREAT! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] . Couldn't be happier with this season.

Old 05-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i'm concerned, it is basically the off season now.
let's discuss what the mavs need to do
all good points mffl.

the problem is that the mavs have too many people that they are developing.
they're developing booth, developing wang zhizhi, developing harvey, getting najera experience.
that's too many roster spots devoted to developing people for a team to compete in the playoffs.
hopefully, next year some of the developing guys will be ready to give the mavs some good minutes, but the mavs must have a big body at either power forward or center.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:13 AM   #9
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

In keeping with the positive atmosphere attempted...

"My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!!!!"
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:22 AM   #10
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

hehe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Something else positive. New arena next year. New Uniforms.

Old 05-10-2001, 11:22 AM   #11
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Hey, they are going to win 4 in a row baby!!!
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 11:27 AM   #12
giostar

Well... thats positive, but not realistic...

I predicted this team would win 50 games this year. I think next year they win 50, but I have to agree with DJ, this team needs an upgrade at PF or Center and backup point guard. But it there any team out there that can stop Duncan or Shaq? I dont know what the answer is as this Juwan Howard deal was good in alot of senses, but wont win a championship.

Old 05-10-2001, 11:29 AM   #13
giostar

One more...

Its REAL sweet to be discussing how to win a championship rather than who we should take with the 7th or 8th pick in the draft. This team has come a LONG way.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:32 AM   #14
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I will be so happy to get rid of the puke green and blue combination. I LOVE the new colors that reflect Cuban's payback time attitude. The logo is a little fancy, but again it's a helluva lot better than our current one.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

yep..the mavs don't have the defense down low to win a championship
do they have anyone on their team that can play good enough defense at the 4 or 5 spot to solidify the mavs needs in the future?
Old 05-10-2001, 12:48 PM   #16
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I keep hearing Harvey but I have yet to see it.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:47 PM   #17
MFFL
Guru

giostar you are the man! Its REAL sweet to be discussing how to win a championship rather than who we should take with the 7th or 8th pick in the draft. How very true. What a ride we've been on this year.
Old 05-10-2001, 02:56 PM   #18
MFFL
Guru

I think Harvey is only 20. He left college after his freshman year. It takes those early-out players more time.
Old 05-10-2001, 03:44 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

yep, i know, but how long is it going to take him to get to where he's productive enough to log 20 minutes a game for the mavericks?
Old 05-10-2001, 04:15 PM   #20
MFFL
Guru

Jermaine O'Neal turned 22 right before the beginning of this year. Garnett was 21-22 when he started establishing himself. Dirk is 22. Maybe Harvey can start helping the Mavs after next year.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:17 PM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Yeah, I say after next year. Sign a guy like Jerome Williams to a 1 year deal to back up Howard.

Old 05-10-2001, 04:26 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

hopefully harvey will pan out and be a similar player to dennis rodman
that would be nice
Old 05-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #23
djb
Administrator

The boy's got some serious hops but really really needs to work on his shot. Hopefully Kiki can work some of his mojo on him.
Old 05-10-2001, 04:30 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

i don't know if people remember, but dennis rodman actually had a decent shot early in his career
Old 05-10-2001, 08:06 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

If I remember correctly, most of his scoring was a result of his offensive rebounding. He is one of the greatest pure rebounders ever.
Old 05-11-2001, 07:49 AM   #26
MFFL
Guru

GREAT article by Mike Fisher.

http://www.dallasbasketball.com/headline_b.asp?pr=
Old 05-11-2001, 04:25 PM   #27
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

hehe, they started a "Lets be positive" type thread at the LMF too. Here it is.

> 1. Mavs got to the playoffs.
> > 2. Mavs got to the second round.
> > 3. Mavs won 53 games in the regular season
> > 4. Nellie recovered from his cancer
> > 5. Mavs appeared on National TV more than twice this year
> > 6. Dirk looks like he is maturing and is developing a low post game
> > 7. Nash is one of the top point guards in the league.
> > 8. Free Chalupas
> > 9. Face Painting at Reunion
> > 10. A new Arena next year.
> > 11. New logo
> > 12. Juwan Howard is now here
> > 13. Wang ZhiZhi is now here.
> > 14. Finley looks like he is learning to drive to the hole.
> > 15. Finley made the all-star
> > 16. Dirk and Nash were invited to the three-point shooting contest
> > 17. Donnie Nelson showed he is a very good coach
> > 18. Mark Cuban and all his freebies
> > 19. Mark and all his appearances on different TV shows.
> > 20. No ticket price increase!
> 21. Najera didn't get cut, is making a contribution and showing potential
> 22. The Mavericks don't have an overloaded roster of players begging for playing time
> 23. Bradley has come on strong in the playoffs
> 24. The Mavs have at least equaled the Stars in performance this year
> 25. Free agents will no longer see the Mavericks as the Siberia of the NBA

26. They have good team chemistry
27. Seems like they are good guys
28. We are young
29. Dirk hasn't reached his potential yet

Old 05-11-2001, 05:14 PM   #28
djb
Administrator

I'm surprised Murph hasn't shot down point 12 yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2001, 05:19 PM   #29
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I'd have to say, all in all, an excellent season! Definately better than what we had been seeing over the past decade.
Old 05-11-2001, 10:12 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

That was a pretty comprehensive list rob. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2001, 11:42 PM   #31
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Oh, that's not my list, it's a list someone started at the LMF forum. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2001, 07:37 AM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

you forgot something
dirk and finley making several all nba teams...most of the time second or third team...but don't forget that.

and another,
the season is almost over
the mavs get nash, dirk, and finley some rest
Old 05-12-2001, 04:28 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

I noticied that we are playing a lot better today. They just needed the extra day of rest.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:27 AM   #34
Murphy3
Guru

it's unfortunate that dirk wasn't full strength for any of the first 3 games.
and nash wasn't feeling great for game one.
well, it's nice to think about what if...
Old 05-13-2001, 08:43 AM   #35
MFFL
Guru

After yesterday's win I am convinced this would be a tied series if Dirk hadn't got food poisoning.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:47 AM   #36
Murphy3
Guru

possibly so
how sweet would that be, being tied with the spurs 2-2.
Old 05-15-2001, 07:43 AM   #37
MFFL
Guru

From Gary Adornato of dallasbasketball.com

Imagine this: imagine if Dirk has opened another door in his career – and to date, he has never stepped backwards from a level he’s reached. Imagine if Nash, free of the Olympic strains, secure in the knowledge of his capabilities and place within the game, comes back in good health and continues his own growth. Imagine if Finley and Howard spend a driven summer, armed with the specific knowledge of what remains for each to add, and they progress. Imagine that… and then imagine the players that will line up for the Mavericks’ mid-level exception slot, the players that will be harassing their agents for a trade to Dallas.

Imagine a Maverick team even better, even deeper than the one that played this season, its players moving to their peak years, its roster bulging with talented options, its arena electric, its game a joy. “There isn’t any player in this locker room who wanted it to end like this,’’ Howard said. “It’s a weird feeling in my stomach to feel it’s over.’’

And weird feeling, but a happy feeling. Imagine, and have a happy off-season. It is coming, and coming now.
Old 05-15-2001, 08:23 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

imagine if dirk works on his inside post moves
imagine if finley works on his banhandling and is able to drive better.
imagine if howard comes off of the bench as the sixth man
imagine if bradley could be more consistent
imagine if najera, harvey, wang and booth develop into consistently usable parts.
imagine if nash was actually healthy and semi rested
Old 05-18-2001, 09:06 AM   #39
MFFL
Guru

Just bumping up a good thread.
Old 05-19-2001, 09:01 AM   #40
Murphy3
Guru

be careful, you might get griped at because it's not old enough to bump up