Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-29-2004, 12:19 PM   #1
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road
Default Jiri Welsch

Any of you guys think he would command more playing time than Howard or Daniels?

I don't see it for the simple fact that Nellie never plays young guys till this year.....and Jiri has had a year long wrist injury that has contributed to his inconsistency all year.

Add to this that Howard and Daniels are just more talented than Jiri. All Welsch can do is just shoot and he's not very consistent at that either.
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of
Default RE:Jiri Welsch

Mavs Creed:

“The Mavs organization will never draft or trade for a player that doesn’t excel at defense. We don’t care how well they excel at offense. If they don’t play great defense, they won’t put on a Mavs uniform.”

Sincerly

Mavs Management
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
PubaNWO

Default RE: Jiri Welsch

Jiri actually does a very very good job of moving his feet and keeping the offensive player infront of him.

I really like Jiri. He's a fiesty player and has a tenacious heart.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

'If they don’t play great defense, they won’t put on a Mavs uniform"

Defer to this part of the Mavs Creed. Doing a good job of moving his feet does not qualify as playing great defense. Jiri is a very good offensive player who is not a great defender. No thank you. There are better options.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched a whole lot of Jiri, but he's looked like he's capable defensively from what I've seen. That said, I'm obvously very happy with our rookies, and I don't think Jiri would be ahead of either of them on the depth chart.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Jiri actually played pretty damn good defense this season. I don't look at either of the two Mavs rookies and say that they're better than Jiri on that end of the court.

Perhaps they will be. They probably should be. But, I don't think that they are at this point.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #7
PubaNWO

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Jiri actually played pretty damn good defense this season. I don't look at either of the two Mavs rookies and say that they're better than Jiri on that end of the court.

Perhaps they will be. They probably should be. But, I don't think that they are at this point.
I think Howard has shown he's a solid defender....he can block shots and usually keeps his man infront of him.....let's not forget he's been playing with nagging leg injuries in the latter parts of the season.

Jiri has had some really solid defensive games and shut down guys like Tmac.

Old 04-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #8
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen more than a few Celtics games this season, and I will say that Howard is in a different universe than Jiri with his rebounding production, and is hands down a better on the ball, and off the ball defender than Welsch.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He should be. However, Howard has alot of mental lapses defensively at this point. Howard simply loses his man in traffic far too often to be considered a good defender.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Howard's an amazing rebounder at the SF position, no doubt. I was only able to find 2 SF's in the league who rank ahead of him in rebounds per 48 minutes, those being Donyell Marshall and Lamar Odom.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:21 PM   #11
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Lets not forget that this was Welsch's second year. I expect both of our rookies to be vastly superior to Welsch next year. Welsch is a fairly average shooting guard. Both Daniels and Howard have the ability to be spectacular at their position.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:50 PM   #12
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Jiri Welsch is a great all-around player. He is incredibly quick, and doesn't let people get past him. He contests shots well and always seems to be running in 5th gear on the court. On offense, he's capable of putting up big numbers with few minutes. Whenever Pierce is cold, he is the one that picks up the slack a lot of the time. However, he's still young and is far from hitting his prime. If he came to Dallas, he'd improve even more, and become a great replacement for Finley, who'll be done in a few years anyway. Bring him here... he'd be a great replacement for Daniels. He wouldn't be outplaying Daniels or Howard, but he would be a great asset off the bench.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Quote:
He should be. However, Howard has alot of mental lapses defensively at this point. Howard simply loses his man in traffic far too often to be considered a good defender.
yeah, but good defender and better than Jiri are two different things, right?
Old 04-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #14
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsman55
Jiri Welsch is a great all-around player.
In the playoffs Welsch averaged 8 points, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 boards, and a half steal in 26 minutes per game. He's the definition of average.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:30 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Lets not forget that this was Welsch's second year. I expect both of our rookies to be vastly superior to Welsch next year. Welsch is a fairly average shooting guard. Both Daniels and Howard have the ability to be spectacular at their position.
It would be a huge disappointment if Daniels and Howard weren't both better defenders than Jiri next year. They have no excuse not to get there. But, the mental mistakes have to stop. I suppose that could be a product of being in their first year.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:42 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
It would be a huge disappointment if Daniels and Howard weren't both better defenders than Jiri next year. They have no excuse not to get there. But, the mental mistakes have to stop. I suppose that could be a product of being in their first year.
It is easy to forget that they came straight from college. They may be incredible basketball players but they had not faced NBA opponents in their careers before this season. The quickness of the guards and the size and strength of the forwards was quite a shock. Daniels is incredibly fast but he's not used to having people close to his speed defending him. They got their regular season NBA and postseason experience; now it's time that they go home and work on what they saw. I'm excited to see both of them next year.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #17
PubaNWO

I still don't see Jiri getting more minutes than Howard or Daniels.....

Jiri loses confidence easy and gets down on himself.....

but he is a quality and efficient scorer who just needs to shoot better at the foul line....

I just can't stand it when Paul argues with on the court and rags on him....it's not helping!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:54 PM   #18
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Quote:
In the playoffs Welsch averaged 8 points, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 boards, and a half steal in 26 minutes per game. He's the definition of average.
Don't judge him based on this year's playoff performance alone. Would you consider Finley a mediocre player simply because of his lowly performance this year in the playoffs?
Old 04-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #19
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
All Welsch can do is just shoot and he's not very consistent at that either.
Quote:
Puba, I'm not making fun of you, but could you explain this a little bit more? I just want a little bit of clarification of why you rip on him in one post and praise him in the other. Once again, not making fun, just want you to go a little more in-depth so I can figure out what you were trying to convey. Peace.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #20
PubaNWO

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Puba, I'm not making fun of you, but could you explain this a little bit more? I just want a little bit of clarification of why you rip on him in one post and praise him in the other. Once again, not making fun, just want you to go a little more in-depth so I can figure out what you were trying to convey. Peace.
Well I was refering to offense in the first post mainly.

But overall he's only shown to be just a shooter....he stopped playing hard nosed defense about a month and a half before the playoffs.

But even with those flaws I STILL LIKE HIM! Mainly because he is a fiesty player and has a tenacious heart!

I understand that one can seem to get confused with my posts......most aren't very credible and the rest are psuedo-serious.
Old 04-29-2004, 07:22 PM   #21
mavsman55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well I was refering to offense in the first post mainly.

But overall he's only shown to be just a shooter....he stopped playing hard nosed defense about a month and a half before the playoffs.

But even with those flaws I STILL LIKE HIM! Mainly because he is a fiesty player and has a tenacious heart!

I understand that one can seem to get confused with my posts......most aren't very credible and the rest are psuedo-serious.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up. And you're right too, he does play with a lot of heart. The defense can be worked on, but we all know that he has the potential to be a great player. Bring him to Dallas.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think jiri would have been a nice addition this year. At least someone who can hit a 3.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #23
PubaNWO

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Well I think jiri would have been a nice addition this year. At least someone who can hit a 3.
I know you were DYING to bash on AW here... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good to see you're holding back, dude....
Old 04-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #24
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Heck there isn't anyone on the team that can hit a three consistently except stevie, mike, dirk. And dirk's been suspect all year. Last year we had nve, raef, raja, williams, griffin. No contest.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 09:46 PM   #25
Max Power
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Don't judge him based on this year's playoff performance alone. Would you consider Finley a mediocre player simply because of his lowly performance this year in the playoffs?
Finley is having a poor series this year. Last year vs the Spurs he was spectacular.

And most of the board is trying to run Finley OFF, why would we want another player who isn't stepping up his game.