Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paxson trying to send Tim Thomas to Spurs or Suns

Nets notebook: Looks like Thomas may go West
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

ATLANTA -- The Nets' pursuit of Tim Thomas took a sharp turn for the worse Sunday night, when Chicago's buyout provisions expanded to include a demand that the forward find future employment outside of the Eastern Conference.

Bulls GM John Paxson told agent Arn Tellem that he is determined to give Thomas the money he has left on his $14 million contract and allow him to become a free agent, but only if Thomas subsequently signs with San Antonio or Phoenix.

The negotiation continued yesterday with no settlement. But Paxson has control of the discussion: If Thomas is not waived by Wednesday, the Paterson native won't be eligible for the playoffs regardless of what team he chooses to play for.

Rest of Article

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot imagine that Stern likes this. This circumvents the trade deadline in a sense.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

If there are teams that I don't want to see Tim Thomas on they would be the Rockets, Spurs and Suns.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #4
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

Tim Thomas is a no good hack that had so much praise coming out of Villanova and fell flat on his face when he got to the NBA. I don't have any statistics to back that up, it is my opinion. I think he sucks. please let him go to the Spurs or Phoenix so he can screw up their teams.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Why would Paxson care where Thomas signs? I understand the Eastern Conference thing but why did he single out the Suns and Spurs?

I am confused.
Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Why would Paxson care where Thomas signs? I understand the Eastern Conference thing but why did he single out the Suns and Spurs?

I am confused.
He's trying to divert Thomas away from the Nets and the Sixers.

Bulls are trying to cop the 8th playoff spot--they are vying with Philly for the 8th spot, and play the Nets twice more this season. Bulls are done with both Phoenix and San Antonion for the year. Thomas wouldn't have the opportunity for payback.

Sounds like a lot of money, though, just to try to improve team's chances at the last playoff slot.

Paxson may just be trying to get him to take a lower buyout, so that he can go to an Eastern team (or anywhere he wants). Deadline is coming up too for players to qualify to be on playoff rosters.

Last edited by MavKikiNYC; 02-28-2006 at 04:44 PM.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo

I am confused.
Yea that's wierd. Why would you want him on a contender at all? What if the Spurs or Suns don't want him?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Maybe Tim Thomas is really a hollowed out wooden horse and Paxson is using him to inflitrate the camps of his sworn enemies. That would also explain why he's been playing so poorly.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

" Paxson trying to send Tim Thomas to Spurs or Suns"

and I'd like to send my credit card bill to Bill Gates
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #10
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

The Spurs are interested cause it's been talked about in the SA Express. I haven't read any Phoenix articles but I imagine the interest is there as well.

The first articles I read stated that Paxson only wanted Thomas to go West. I figure the Spurs and Suns were singled out because they're playoff teams. I don't imagine Thomas wants to sign with a non playoff team at this point in the season.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #11
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone pursue tim thomas? Thats like pursuing an std. You dont pursue them. You might get stuck with them when you thought you were getting something else but you dont EVER pursue them.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 02-28-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Tim Thomas sucks, but if he goes to the Suns I bet he puts up some decent numbers. It seems like you could put Woody Allen on that team and he'd score, like, 8 points a game or something.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #13
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Sounds similar to when Cuban wanted Finley to go to an Eastern team.
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It's wierd. It's like the trade that isn't. How can they try to dictate where he goes? I am thinking that Stern or Hunter will put the wood to this. It is almost (in a way) a circumvention of the trade deadline. Kind of.

Last edited by Drbio; 02-28-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:21 AM   #15
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Sounds like Thomas to the Suns could happen.

Nets losing out on Tim Thomas
Suns likely to land Paterson native

Wednesday, March 01, 2006
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Nets didn't play last night, but they may have suffered the biggest setback of their season.

The resolution of the Tim Thomas buyout agreement was nearly final last night, and it included the provision that the Paterson native would not play for an Eastern Conference team once he is released to become a free agent.

According to a league official, Thomas is headed to Phoenix, which has a frontcourt shortage because of the recent loss of Kurt Thomas, who might miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his foot.

Here's the worst part: Another league official who spoke with agent Arn Tellem yesterday said the Nets were Tim Thomas' first choice.

But on Sunday night, Chicago GM John Paxson told Tellem he wouldn't release the 6-10 forward to a team in the East because it could affect the Bulls' playoff ambitions. After three days of negotiations, Tellem agreed to accept Paxson's terms or risk the possibility that the Bulls wouldn't let Thomas out of his contract.

If Thomas weren't waived by today, he would have been ineligible for the playoffs. He will receive nearly all of the $5.1 remaining on his contract.

The Nets had hoped to plug Thomas into their rotation as a backup forward, one who can spell Richard Jefferson and Jason Collins, and occasionally swing to two-guard. He always has been defensively challenged, but his athleticism and ability to run the floor would have been assets for a Nets team that has received little bench help all season.

Rest of article http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index....260.xml&coll=1
Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:02 PM   #16
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

He probably is a good fit in run and gun Phoenix.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote