Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-01-2003, 06:01 PM   #41
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Should the Mavs try to get another big body?

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
so in other words LRB, we would be getting a totally average player......sorry, not interested. When I think of what they need, names like Eddie and FOrtson to not come up as players I want to use as comparisons....
they need someone who will have an impact...
I guess maybe what I'm saying is I am willing to trade Walker or Jamison if that would get an a big who would make a difference... an impact player....not an All Star, but more than Eddie, Fort, or Mihm or Bradley...if a trade of one of those two or a package will get that here then I am all for that!.....not a Mihm hater, but looking for more....
I would hardly call Mihm average. While he's definitely not star quality, he's above average for a center. And I wouldn't give up any of the Big 5 or Bradley to get Mihm. Anyone else that we can trade is fair game. Remember that excludes our rookies, we can't trade them by NBA and collective bargaining fiat.

If we could take our spares and get just an average center, it would be a great deal. I don't see it happening. FA is our best place to look. Again, we're not going to get someone that good. But we don't need someone that good. Look back at some of the stats for the Bulls centers during their 6 years of titles. Nobody really stands out, but they were good enough to get the job done. They were tall, decent sized (ie not skinny), but were either career spares or washed up stars. That's all we need. Think about it would you rather have a 6'8" spare in the middle or a 7'0" spare?
sure I'll take the seven footer..but a spares a spare...they dont help the team....

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
00-01 CLE 59 43 19.8 .442 .000 .794 1.80 2.90 4.70 .3 .34 .90 1.36 2.60 7.6
01-02 CLE 74 60 22.4 .420 .429 .693 1.80 3.50 5.30 .3 .24 1.20 1.31 3.50 7.7
02-03 CLE 52 0 15.6 .404 .000 .724 1.80 2.70 4.40 .5 .35 .73 .92 2.40 5.9
03-04 CLE 16 1 18.4 .520 .000 .711 2.40 3.90 6.30 .6 .38 1.06 1.00 2.10 8.3
Career 201 104 19.5 .431 .273 .730 1.80 3.10 5.00 .4 .31 .98 1.20 2.90 7.2

Mihm may still be a project.....but he had three years to show something...and has not to me at least....and I'm a horn fan.....maybe one day he'll have a great game against the Mavs and I'll come around[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...nah
remember, all these numbers come with an * because he has been in the EAST!!! Just dont think hes an answer

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2003, 06:14 PM   #42
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

Tyrone Hill anyone?
Old 12-01-2003, 06:17 PM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Tyrone "over" the Hill????nah.....stay young and atheletic...not old and crusty....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 12-01-2003, 07:09 PM   #44
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Hakeem?
If he's healthy enough to play 15 to 20 minutes a night, sure.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:17 PM   #45
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
so in other words LRB, we would be getting a totally average player......sorry, not interested. When I think of what they need, names like Eddie and FOrtson to not come up as players I want to use as comparisons....
they need someone who will have an impact...
I guess maybe what I'm saying is I am willing to trade Walker or Jamison if that would get an a big who would make a difference... an impact player....not an All Star, but more than Eddie, Fort, or Mihm or Bradley...if a trade of one of those two or a package will get that here then I am all for that!.....not a Mihm hater, but looking for more....
I would hardly call Mihm average. While he's definitely not star quality, he's above average for a center. And I wouldn't give up any of the Big 5 or Bradley to get Mihm. Anyone else that we can trade is fair game. Remember that excludes our rookies, we can't trade them by NBA and collective bargaining fiat.

If we could take our spares and get just an average center, it would be a great deal. I don't see it happening. FA is our best place to look. Again, we're not going to get someone that good. But we don't need someone that good. Look back at some of the stats for the Bulls centers during their 6 years of titles. Nobody really stands out, but they were good enough to get the job done. They were tall, decent sized (ie not skinny), but were either career spares or washed up stars. That's all we need. Think about it would you rather have a 6'8" spare in the middle or a 7'0" spare?
sure I'll take the seven footer..but a spares a spare...they dont help the team....

YEAR TEAM G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
00-01 CLE 59 43 19.8 .442 .000 .794 1.80 2.90 4.70 .3 .34 .90 1.36 2.60 7.6
01-02 CLE 74 60 22.4 .420 .429 .693 1.80 3.50 5.30 .3 .24 1.20 1.31 3.50 7.7
02-03 CLE 52 0 15.6 .404 .000 .724 1.80 2.70 4.40 .5 .35 .73 .92 2.40 5.9
03-04 CLE 16 1 18.4 .520 .000 .711 2.40 3.90 6.30 .6 .38 1.06 1.00 2.10 8.3
Career 201 104 19.5 .431 .273 .730 1.80 3.10 5.00 .4 .31 .98 1.20 2.90 7.2

Mihm may still be a project.....but he had three years to show something...and has not to me at least....and I'm a horn fan.....maybe one day he'll have a great game against the Mavs and I'll come around[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]...nah
remember, all these numbers come with an * because he has been in the EAST!!! Just dont think hes an answer
Sike you forget that Delk is only a spare. So giving a short spare for a tall spare is usually really good. And spares do help a team. They just are the main factors that stars are. Again all we need to do is follow the Jordan Bulls example find a few decent spars to man the middle. Guys with size. We don't need stars, they will cost us our strength and will cost more than they return. Sure if Indiana wants to do a straight up trade of Jamison or Walker for J O'Neil with spars as filler to make the salary cap work, sure I do that in a heart beat. And if Bill Gates wants to send me a check for $1,000,000.00 if I'll cash it, I'd do that one also. Don't think either scenario will happen.

Just remember that the Mavs are the most loaded team in the NBA for positions 1 through 4. Nobody even comes close. But the 5 spot is our glaring weakness. All we have is one injured center. That's it. Everyone else is a PF. So we just need a spare to give us a little relief here. Somebody to plug the dike enough so we can overwhelm people at the other 4 positions.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:18 PM   #46
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: bogey
Hakeem?
If he's healthy enough to play 15 to 20 minutes a night, sure.
talk about a great locker room guy....he's the best! plus he can show off the bling!....a little more meaningful coming from Dream than Avery.

Old 12-01-2003, 07:23 PM   #47
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Hakeem - great
D Rob - doubt it but sure
Ewing - no thanks

any chance of Shaq joining our team for a playoff run? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 07:27 PM   #48
sike
The Preacha

any chance of Shaq joining our team for a playoff run? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][/quote]

so very........very.........very..............funny.. ..............for me to poop on!

Old 12-01-2003, 07:52 PM   #49
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Scoobay
Hakeem - great
D Rob - doubt it but sure
Ewing - no thanks

any chance of Shaq joining our team for a playoff run? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
About the same as monkey's spontaneously flying out of my ass in the next 15 seconds.

What we need to get is a rugged player, who can rebound, block a few shots, and has at least enough O not to totally embarrass himself. He should be at least 6'10" and preferably 6'11"+ has to weigh 240+ but hopefully 250+. Good for about 15 to 20 minutes a night. Average about 0.7+ blocks in that time and 4.5+ rebounds. and 4.0- fouls. Ability to commit the hard foul without being a dumbass like Fortson is a major plus.

In other words this guy is a spare. But a decent spare at center. something just to slow down the bleeding.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:03 PM   #50
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

I think the answer may be to wait until next off-season. There will be some good big men on the market that we can probably grab for the MLE. The two that interest me most are Big Jake out of Memphis and Foyle in Golden State. Both are raw, but Foyle is a good rebounder and great shot-blocker, and Big Jake has great size. His offensive game seems to be coming along a bit too. Jake is starting for Memphis now, so they may spend to keep him. In that case, we might be able to pick up Stromile Swift, who is undersized but can really get up and block shots.

None of these guys are superstars, but they're good role-players, and for the right price they could make a difference in Dallas.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 05:34 AM   #51
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Misfit Mav
I think the answer may be to wait until next off-season. There will be some good big men on the market that we can probably grab for the MLE. The two that interest me most are Big Jake out of Memphis and Foyle in Golden State. Both are raw, but Foyle is a good rebounder and great shot-blocker, and Big Jake has great size. His offensive game seems to be coming along a bit too. Jake is starting for Memphis now, so they may spend to keep him. In that case, we might be able to pick up Stromile Swift, who is undersized but can really get up and block shots.

None of these guys are superstars, but they're good role-players, and for the right price they could make a difference in Dallas.
The better solution may well be found next year. That would mean not making a deperate trade, though there is at least on that I'd do in a heartbeat on Dec. 21st. I really don't think that a trade is our most likely option. We can pick up a FA with a contract for just this season. Then get the permanent solution next season. But we need help now, not next year, although we'll probably still need it then. All we need is a stop gap measure to get us by until we can get a more permanent solution in next year's FA.