Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I don't see Fernandez getting as much as Barea whether he deserves it or not, Fernandez is an 2 guard that hasn't scored effeciently in the league, he also isn't exactly a great defender. And his next contract will be probably about 3 years for 10-14 million in that range, when that contract is up he will be 30 and most likely get payed less. In sum in 6 years I don't see him making 25 million (nor do I see Barea for that matter).
I'm not talking about over the next 6 years, I'm talking about per year.

There aren't going to be ANY 6-year deals in the NBA, so I don't see how that time scale is relevant. Sure, that's what he's being offered by Spain, but that ALL he's being offered - he'll never be an NBA star or win an NBA championship or have a chance to earn a big NBA contract. If he signs in Europe, his basketball legacy will be reduced to "minor league hero" at best... Don't underestimate the ego of a Spaniard - the guy would have never joined the NBA if he wasn't interested in playing with the best of the best, plus he'd be selling himself short to cut and run for $25m when his maximum potential could net him a much bigger contract in the States.

I mean, $4.2m/year is Steve Blake money... You don't think Rudy Fernandez can earn Steve Blake money in the NBA? I bet Rudy does...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-04-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #42
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
...Fernandez is an 2 guard that hasn't scored effeciently in the league, he also isn't exactly a great defender. And his next contract will be probably about 3 years for 10-14 million in that range...
First off, not sure how you think you can put a dollar and year estimate on Rudy's next contract (let alone close the book on his NBA resume) when he's still a year away from free agency and hasn't played a game with the Mavs yet. His play next season will determine his value. Second, 3 years at 14 million (your number) is 4.67 million per year, which is ~ $500,000 a year more than the reported European offer. Setting aside the head-scratching fact that you're talking down the guy's earning potential in the states while at the same time talking it up, you've basically made UD's point for him. The Spanish offer is hardly so good that he can't afford to pass it up.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 07-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #43
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Then why did he come over here in the first place?
He obviously dreamed of a Ginobili like career, not a Sergio Rodriguez one. Rudy was a great talent in Euope, an elite player, but the circumstances just weren't right. first it was the role, and playing time, Portland misused him (as a spot up shooter) then after that nasty fall, even the remaining of his confidence was gone. He's a borderline all-star talent, but i don't think it will ever happen to him in the NBA. At this point, this offer is a no brainer. He has to take it. It sucks for us, but that's the reality.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #44
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
. At this point, this offer is a no brainer. He has to take it. It sucks for us, but that's the reality.
Oh. Okay.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #45
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all

Quote:
He obviously dreamed of a Ginobili like career, not a Sergio Rodriguez one. Rudy was a great talent in Euope, an elite player, but the circumstances just weren't right. first it was the role, and playing time, Portland misused him (as a spot up shooter) then after that nasty fall, even the remaining of his confidence was gone. He's a borderline all-star talent, but i don't think it will ever happen to him in the NBA. At this point, this offer is a no brainer. He has to take it. It sucks for us, but that's the reality.
Well, he's getting a fresh start at a team with great chemistry, an offense tat fits his strengths, a shooting guard spot up for grabs and another Euro as the man.
This is THE chance for Rudy to right his NBA career.

It's not a no brainer to throw away this chance before it even starts.

Last edited by stuportremens; 07-04-2011 at 02:13 PM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:56 PM   #46
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

I'm just glad the decision is his, and not mine to make.

On the other hand.... hm.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #47
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Unless Rudy has already set his mind to go back to Spain after next season, it seems a bit premature to draw any conclusions as it relates to his future in this or another league based on the Real Madrid offer. Let's just say that A LOT can happen in an entire year.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #48
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I mean, $4.2m/year is Steve Blake money... You don't think Rudy Fernandez can earn Steve Blake money in the NBA? I bet Rudy does...
Its OLD Blake money.

4.2m last season will be like getting 3m with the next CBA, i expect an average salary drop of at least 25% for the "non stars".
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #49
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Oh. Okay.
Not because of the money, at least that's not the most important factor. I agree with you, theoretically, he could get a bigger contract than in Europe. But if you're familiar with his situation, i think you have to agree with me, it should be a no brainer. The guy is home sick, he stated numerous times he wants to go home, his role with us would be marginal at best, i mean, why would he wanna play in the NBA at this point?

He knows he probably won't get the minutes to command that bigger contract, which at absolute best, could be bigger anything he could get in Europe. But at this point, after 4 wasted years, would you blame him if he just wants to go back to his family, and friends, to his beautiful homeland, where the weather is always nice, and people see him as a superstar? I mean, if that's not a no brainer situation, than what is it?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #50
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuportremens View Post
Well, he's getting a fresh start at a team with great chemistry, an offense tat fits his strengths, a shooting guard spot up for grabs and another Euro as the man.
This is THE chance for Rudy to right his NBA career.

It's not a no brainer to throw away this chance before it even starts.
At this point i think it is, but i hope i'm wrong, and you guys are right. Rudy is an amazing talent, he was really an all-around superstar in Europe. Scorer, playmaker, passer, shooter, with great athleticism. I was really rooting for him in the NBA, and it was so sad to see him underachieve that badly.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #51
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not because of the money, at least that's not the most important factor. I agree with you, theoretically, he could get a bigger contract than in Europe. But if you're familiar with his situation, i think you have to agree with me, it should be a no brainer. The guy is home sick, he stated numerous times he wants to go home, his role with us would be marginal at best, i mean, why would he wanna play in the NBA at this point?

He knows he probably won't get the minutes to command that bigger contract, which at absolute best, could be bigger anything he could get in Europe. But at this point, after 4 wasted years, would you blame him if he just wants to go back to his family, and friends, to his beautiful homeland, where the weather is always nice, and people see him as a superstar? I mean, if that's not a no brainer situation, than what is it?
Well, like I said earlier in the thread, if he goes back, it will be because he's homesick. The deal financially is not that great at all. And maybe he is really homesick, but I do know a lot of that was just not being happy with his situation in Portland.

If he goes, I understand. But I certainly don't think it's a "no brainer." I'd think it's actually going to be a very tough decision for him with many competing considerations.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #52
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...his role with us would be marginal at best...
Huh? The guy stands a good chance of being an entrenched 20+ mpg starter on one of the league's top teams. How is that marginal?
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM   #53
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Huh? The guy stands a good chance of being an entrenched 20+ mpg starter on one of the league's top teams. How is that marginal?
How is he gonna play 20+ minutes? Jet will play 30 minutes a night, Roddy has to play unless we want to trade him, so unless we don't bring back any of Butler, José, and Stevenson (yes, all of them) i can't see him playing more than 15 minutes per game. Make no mistake, Rudy can't play small forward. I'd love to see what kind of minute distribution you had in mind.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:23 PM   #54
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, like I said earlier in the thread, if he goes back, it will be because he's homesick. The deal financially is not that great at all. And maybe he is really homesick, but I do know a lot of that was just not being happy with his situation in Portland.

If he goes, I understand. But I certainly don't think it's a "no brainer." I'd think it's actually going to be a very tough decision for him with many competing considerations.
Well, i hope you're right and he stays, and if that will be the case, i also hope i'm wrong about his playing time. But i want Roddy to play first and foremost, because of his potential. If both José and Stevenson signs, it will be an absolute logjam at the SG spot. Well, i guess it can be a good thing.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 07-04-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #55
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
How is he gonna play 20+ minutes? Jet will play 30 minutes a night, Roddy has to play unless we want to trade him, so unless we don't bring back any of Butler, José, and Stevenson (yes, all of them) i can't see him playing more than 15 minutes per game. Make no mistake, Rudy can't play small forward. I'd love to see what kind of minute distribution you had in mind.
For one thing, JET (since they started using him purely as a SG) has traditionally played 30+ mpg because the Mavs have lacked any other quality offensive option at SG. If Rudy can find his game with the Mavs, he'll give them something they've not had, and JET won't have to play 30+ mpg for Dallas to have a functioning offense. Second, what we're really talking about here is Rick's willingness to cut players' minutes back to well below their career averages when the team's depth affords him the opportunity. If you doubt that he'll do so look no further than the Mavs SF rotation the first couple months of last season. Caron's career high in mpg is 39.9, and Marion's averaged over 40 on a couple of occasions, yet last season when both were healthy neither guy was playing more than 30 mpg, and that was with Marion getting minutes at PF. If Rudy plays up to his potential (and that is the best case scenario), he'll be getting 20+ mpg.

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 07-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #56
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure if the Mavs have enough depth (backup PG) and general scoring (Terry) they have no problem with Kidd and Terry going to 24min per game.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #57
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

My only fear is that if he takes the deal AND "honors" his final year with the Mavs, he will be very disinterested and unenthusiastic (while looking forward to going back home).

Basically it could be a reverse bizarro contract year. Instead of playing for a contract, he would be playing to hurry up and finish the season. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by MascisMan; 07-04-2011 at 10:43 PM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #58
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan View Post
My only fear is that if he takes the deal AND "honors" his final year with the Mavs, he will be very disinterested and unenthusiastic (while looking forward to going back home).

Basically it could be a reverse bizarro contract year. Instead of playing for a contract, he would be playing to hurry up and finish the season. Hope I'm wrong.
"Rudy Fernandez made his decision: He's staying in the NBA. The Spanish guard will honor his contract with Dallas and then he will decide what to do with his career." Marca.com

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#gP3-r169H
Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #59
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
"Rudy Fernandez made his decision: He's staying in the NBA. The Spanish guard will honor his contract with Dallas and then he will decide what to do with his career." Marca.com

I guess he figures this next season can't be any worse than his last one. I hope this doesn't prove to be a distraction but I'm sure he'll be more motivated than ever to get his career back on path.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #60
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Dangit, I *almost* threw down a "book it" on this one. Ah well. I'm happy he put this to rest quickly.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #61
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Dangit, I *almost* threw down a "book it" on this one.
coward.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #62
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
I guess he figures this next season can't be any worse than his last one. I hope this doesn't prove to be a distraction but I'm sure he'll be more motivated than ever to get his career back on path.
Yeah, I see no reason why he would be a distraction - he has the perfect opportunity to earn a huge NBA contract right now and the only way to do that is to bust his ass. If he thought Spain's offer was his best chance to get paid, then he probably would've taken it...

Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #63
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't worried he would of accepted the deal anyway.

He seemed WAY too excited about becoming a Mav.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #64
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Excellent news. That lob trophy paying some dividends I think. But the team itself has to be a bigmdraw for him.

Pretty confident in his abilities as well, I like that. Carlisle is going to be all over his shooting.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #65
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, i hope you're right and he stays, and if that will be the case, i also hope i'm wrong about his playing time. But i want Roddy to play first and foremost, because of his potential. If both José and Stevenson signs, it will be an absolute logjam at the SG spot. Well, i guess it can be a good thing.
Roddy will be lucky to be Rudy after this year with the Mavs i expect. I have a lot of faith in Carlisle putting players in spots to succeed. Roddy hasn't been able to show anything consistent about his game.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #66
LonghornDub

Quote:
Dangit, I *almost* threw down a "book it" on this one. Ah well. I'm happy he put this to rest quickly.
When in doubt, always err on the side of a "Book it," "Bet the farm," "Mark it down," etc. Always a good idea to throw one of those bad boys down.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #67
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
When in doubt, always err on the side of a "Book it," "Bet the farm," "Mark it down," etc. Always a good idea to throw one of those bad boys down.
ESPECIALLY if you want the opposite to happen!
Old 07-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #68
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Phew ... feel like we dodged a bullet there.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #69
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Nice.

Not buying the Rudy vs. Booby bit. Booby needs to develop as a PG. And with JJB's departure still a distinct possibility he may yet get his chance.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #70
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I don't know for sure how Fernandez is going to work out in Dallas, but I am very excited that he is planning to wait a year before making any decisions.

Perhaps I am an eternal optimist, but I think he has a real chance to blow up in Dallas. I can really imagine him taking off here.

But I think it speaks highly of the Mavs and the culture here that he wants to see how things go before taking more money and being the biggest star back home.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #71
euroRudy

euroRudy is on a distinguished road

Rudy Fernandez will pass on a six-year, $26 million offer from Real Madrid.

Fernandez would have become the highest-paid player in the Spanish ACB.

Fernandez is due to make just $2.2 million during the 11-12 season before becoming a restricted free agent next summer.

Dallas traded its 26th overall pick, Jordan Hamilton, to the Portland Trail Blazers for Fernandez as part of a three-team, draft-night swap. The Mavs also sent the 57th pick to Portland and received point guard Petteri Koponen.

According to the report from Marca.com, support from Mark Cuban helped convince Fernandez to decline the offer.
Via ESPN
euroRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #72
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroRudy View Post

Fernandez would have become the highest-paid player in the Spanish ACB.

Fernandez is due to make just $2.2 million during the 11-12 season before becoming a restricted free agent next summer.

Dallas traded its 26th overall pick, Jordan Hamilton, to the Portland Trail Blazers for Fernandez as part of a three-team, draft-night swap. The Mavs also sent the 57th pick to Portland and received point guard Petteri Koponen.

According to the report from Marca.com, support from Mark Cuban helped convince Fernandez to decline the offer.
Via ESPN
Championship clout.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #73
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroRudy View Post

Via ESPN
...Now what kind of support would that be? At least there is nothing quoted. I thought owners can't communicate with players.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #74
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
...Now what kind of support would that be? At least there is nothing quoted. I thought owners can't communicate with players.
If the Mavs were smart (and the usually are), they made their optimism about Rudy's bright future with the Mavs and in the NBA very clear to him before the lockout kicked in.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #75
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
If the Mavs were smart (and the usually are), they made their optimism about Rudy's bright future with the Mavs and in the NBA very clear to him before the lockout kicked in.
Hell, I'm sure they communicated their intentions before the trade even happened...

Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #76
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33 View Post
I don't know for sure how Fernandez is going to work out in Dallas, but I am very excited that he is planning to wait a year before making any decisions.

Perhaps I am an eternal optimist, but I think he has a real chance to blow up in Dallas. I can really imagine him taking off here.

But I think it speaks highly of the Mavs and the culture here that he wants to see how things go before taking more money and being the biggest star back home.
Good to read you again, sir!

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 AM   #77
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Basically all Fernandez did is say he was going to wait, either way he has a contract with the mavs for this season.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #78
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

If....(I mean if...) Rudy does have his break-out year, and his talents fit the Mav's scheme...the line-up of Kidd, Rudy, Caron, Dirk & Chandler and second team with Barea, Jet/Roddy, Peja, Marion and Haywood (or any combination of the top ten Mav's players) looks pretty deadly...Well balanced all the way through...I know that some of those players may not be back (Barea, Peja), but it has to be hard to face a team that has two good starting line-ups...If you are trying to beat the Mavs..you are just going to have to be lucky...With the new found/championship confidence, the Mavs are going to be hard to beat next year.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #79
sefant77
Guru

Smart decision by Rudy.

If he leaves he is done with the NBA forever. if he has a semi-breakout year (maybe as starter) he can easily get 3-4 years/12milion. If he has a hard year in Dallas he can get a similiar 4-5 year contract with Real (probably).

With 29 or 30 he can still go back to spain to get a fat three year contract. Or another one in the NBA.

Sure, there is some risk for him to lose a few million longterm if he really doesnt "make" it in the NBA but also the risk to throw away prime years in the NBA (with maybe even higher salary).
Old 08-15-2011, 09:30 AM   #80
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sportando.net/eng/europe/...fernandez.html

Quote:
Real Madrid agreed to terms with Rudy Fernandez
The Spanish player will sign a four-year deal
Spain
According to Spanish media (Onda Madrid was the first one to report), Rudy Fernandez agreed to terms with Real Madrid for the next four seasons. The Spanish guard will return to NBA just for the season 2011-12 when lockout ends playing with Dallas Mavericks who acquired him via trade during in June.

In the summer 2012, Rudy Fernandez will definitely return to Spain and Real Madrid.

Rudy has played with Portland Trail Blazers in the NBA averaging 9.1ppg, 2.5rpg and 2.2apg in 218 games and 24.1 minutes of action.

The deal will be official before the end of the current week and Rudy will reportedly earn around €3M per season.
For some reason, I feel his heart wont be in Dallas the year he plays here and wont give us 100%.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
return of the quack!, supwitchugirl