Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jason Terry: What is his trade value?

It seems to me that the player most likely to be traded in the offseason, at least according to "common wisdom", is Jason Terry. I've already seen (and discussed) quite a few trade scenarios involving Terry, but in my mind a lot of them probably overvalue Terry and/or undervalue the players coming from other teams. With that in mind, I thought I'd open it up for discussion: What is Jason Terry's trade value?

My two cents:

Jason Terry is obviously a very good player. He's just below an All-Star level. His PER for his three years in Dallas has been 18.4, 18.4, and 18.9, respectively. His scoring efficiency is off the charts for a guard, at least during the regular season. He's also improved his defense to the point where he's an average defender, statistically speaking. So what's the problem?

Terry is not a point guard. He doesn't have the ballhandling or the passing skills you'd want in a point guard, and he doesn't have the court vision either. He can occasionally rack up big assist games if the Mavs are hitting all of their shots in their set offense, but he just isn't a playmaker who consistently creates for others. Defensively, he's not a good fit at the point guard spot, either, because (despite his improvements) he still seems to be a step slow against quicker point guards.

Terry also isn't a traditional shooting guard. While he is a great shooter and he has the ability to drive, he lacks the size to get off his own shot consistently against bigger defenders. If you put a big, long defender on him, he can be significantly bothered. On defense, he just doesn't have the size, height, or strength to guard bigger SGs. They can either post him up or shoot right over the top.

So there's the problem. Terry is a "tweener". A "combo" guard. A man without a position. What's wrong with that? Well, IMO, it severely limits the number of teams that can fit him into their scheme, offensively and defensively. In order for him to be a good fit, it seems to me that he needs to play with an excellent wing player who can create for his teammates and allow Terry to just be a scorer and spot-up shooter. On the defensive end, that wing player needs to be able to cover a number of positions so that Terry can guard the weaker offensive player in the opposing backcourt.

One other thing. Terry's not a spring chicken, and he makes a lot of money now, so any team looking to acquire him would have to have pretty immediate championship (or deep playoff) aspirations.

So what teams fit this definition? IMO, there are only a few:

Houston (McGrady)
Los Angeles (Kobe)
Cleveland (LeBron)
Miami (Wade)

All of those teams are weak at the PG spot. All of them would be able to utilize Terry because they have wing players who can create for their teammates and help Terry out defensively. And, all of those teams seem to need another guard/scorer who can take the pressure off of their dominant wing player to score all of the points.

Bottom line, if you're looking to deal Terry, I think the deal has to go through or involve one of those four teams.

Thoughts?
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #2
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

KG -- off the top of my head, the only thing here that really blows my skirt up is JET for Andrew Bynum + whatever is necessary to make the deal work....

...but, I understand that the Lakers were reluctant to consider giving up Bynum for Kidd, so Bynum for JET seems even less likely.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i do like your wisdom, you think about this stuff constantly which is awesome. Maybe he would fit in with Kobe in LA.

Last edited by MavsX; 05-22-2007 at 12:48 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of depends on how the ping pong balls land.

Boston, Memphis, maybe even Seattle might be interested if they end up with the first couple of picks. Terry as a shooter with Oden controlling the inside and one nice slasher ie Pierce, Wallace, etc would be a load. Terry can play point in a half court game. He can shoot as a spot up shooter.

I can see what you are talking about, but I don't see him in Houston because of Adeleman there, and Adeleman will want a passing guard (not Terry's strength).

LaLa land would send back ? ?
Miami would send back ? ?
Cleveland would probably be a good fit and maybe a Terry/Gooden deal could be reached, but that even seems a little strange to write.

I think the draft will determine what destinations are and aren't available, just my opinion.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
....Terry as a shooter with Oden controlling the inside and one nice slasher ie Pierce, Wallace, etc would be a load. Terry can play point in a half court game. He can shoot as a spot up shooter.....
Terry for Al Jefferson, maybe?

I don't know if Boston would do that and I don't know how the salaries work....

...but I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why Boston, Memphis, or Seattle would be interested in Terry. None of those teams are going to contend for a few years.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #7
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos

I'd be Savovic-shocked if they did something like that.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #8
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I'd be Savovic-shocked if they did something like that.
yeah -- but a fellow can dream......
Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #9
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

No way on Al Jefferson. He's one of the more underrated young stars in the game right now.

I think Terry holds about the same value now that he had when we aquired him. He's a few years older and more expensive, but he's also improved, and shown that he can come up big in the playoffs and is not afraid to take big shots.

I think you can get a borderline all star in return for Terry, depending on the circumstances.

I'm also not convinced he'll only be valuable to contenders. A bottom struggling franchise could see Terry as a charismatic guy that will become a fan favorite, and his tweener status won't matter as much to them, they'll just want him to come in a score, and entertain.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #10
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
No way on Al Jefferson. He's one of the more underrated young stars in the game right now.

I think Terry holds about the same value now that he had when we aquired him. He's a few years older and more expensive, but he's also improved, and shown that he can come up big in the playoffs and is not afraid to take big shots.

I think you can get a borderline all star in return for Terry, depending on the circumstances.

I'm also not convinced he'll only be valuable to contenders. A bottom struggling franchise could see Terry as a charismatic guy that will become a fan favorite, and his tweener status won't matter as much to them, they'll just want him to come in a score, and entertain.
That's a lot of money to pay somebody to be a fan favorite.

I stick by what I said. I think the list of teams that would have serious interest in Terry is pretty short.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I can't see them moving Jefferson.

I can see them moving Paul Pierce though, if they get Oden. They would need a PG that can run a half court offense with Jefferson and Oden. They would need a PG that can shoot lights out, and dump the ball down low-- Terry can do that.

Would it take more than just Terry, sure : but I can see where Boston might make the deal if it were sweetened properly.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM   #12
alexamenos
Diamond Member

yeah -- I just really like Jefferson's game and I'd love to see him play more often (as a Maverick!?).

please consider this my contribution to the "hey, maybe we can trade two scrubs and 2nd round pick for Lebron James" genre of trade-talk literature..
Old 05-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

Great post. The players from those teams that interest me and might be available are:

Lamar Odom (first choice, may not be available)
Shane Battier
Udonis Haslem
James Posey (FA)
Sasha Pavlovic (FA)
Anderson Varejao (FA)
Larry Hughes
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:33 AM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That's a lot of money to pay somebody to be a fan favorite.

I stick by what I said. I think the list of teams that would have serious interest in Terry is pretty short.
You may very well be right. But, I do think he can bring more than just being a fan favorite, and bad teams do give out big contracts.

I wonder if the Clippers would send us Mobley for him. Would you do that deal?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #15
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

If they are going to run a Princeton-style offense with Adelman in Houston, Terry could be very valuable to them. How about Terry for Shane Battier and Luther Head? The salaries work.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
alexamenos
Diamond Member

the only guy in that list that really helps the mavs (as a replacement for JET) is Odom --

He can do a little something inside, at least against small-ballers;
He can pass the basketball.

(I love battier's game, but I don't see it as an upgrade over what JET provides)
Old 05-22-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger
If they are going to run a Princeton-style offense with Adelman in Houston, Terry could be very valuable to them. How about Terry for Shane Battier and Luther Head? The salaries work.
I don't really understand how Battier would help our team. I think he's an underrated player, and I like his game, but he's kind of a poor man's Josh Howard.

Not sure they bring enough different things to play together.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #18
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
KG -- off the top of my head, the only thing here that really blows my skirt up is JET for Andrew Bynum + whatever is necessary to make the deal work....

...but, I understand that the Lakers were reluctant to consider giving up Bynum for Kidd, so Bynum for JET seems even less likely.
maybe after the way their season ended, they'd be a little more willing...

i'd love to see what Avery and Co. could do with Bynum.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...2389&teams=2~6
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lamar Odom
Shane Battier
Udonis Haslem
James Posey (FA)
Sasha Pavlovic (FA)
Anderson Varejao (FA)
Larry Hughes
Lamar Odem -- where are you going to play him. He is a PF/SF w/o post up game. He is a distributor, and doesn't play the defensive end with the passion he plays on offense. He ends up a backup PF on the Mavs.

Battier/Haslem/Varejao -- very good players, but they are hustling PF's that look great beside dominant Centers. They are Eddie Najera when they don't have that Center.

Posey/Pavlovic -- I have no interest in -- IMO they are a downgrade from Terry.

Hughes -- he is a less efficient Terry, might as well keep the one you have.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #21
Stranger
Golden Member

I think having Battier and Howard would improve our defense and rebounding significantly (especially since Battier would be replacing the undersized Terry as a started). He would be more of a roleplayer on offense than Josh, a guy who would look for open three-pointers and putbacks. His three point shot is more reliable than Josh's. He may not be ideal, but I don't see too much of a problem with having two swingmen like Howard on the team.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
You may very well be right. But, I do think he can bring more than just being a fan favorite, and bad teams do give out big contracts.

I wonder if the Clippers would send us Mobley for him. Would you do that deal?
No. Mobley is 32, and he really isn't that much bigger than Terry.

I think the only trade that's going to end up making some degree of sense for both teams is Terry for Hughes (we'd have to add some salary to match). I don't know that I'd deal Terry to get Hughes.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:43 AM   #23
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
No. Mobley is 32, and he really isn't that much bigger than Terry.

I think the only trade that's going to end up making some degree of sense for both teams is Terry for Hughes (we'd have to add some salary to match). I don't know that I'd deal Terry to get Hughes.
Man, I would MUCH rather have Mobley than Hughes. Mobley is still an undersized SG, but he's a good 3-4 inches and 30-40 pounds bigger than Terry.

I'm not sure I'd do it either, but I have ZERO interest in Hughes, that's for sure.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 05-22-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Stranger
Golden Member

Quote:
Lamar Odem -- where are you going to play him. He is a PF/SF w/o post up game. He is a distributor, and doesn't play the defensive end with the passion he plays on offense. He ends up a backup PF on the Mavs.
I think you may be underrating Odom. If they would take Terry for him I would make the trade in a second. We would play him at small forward and move Josh to shooting guard. He can play in the post, and he averaged nearly as many assists as Terry last year. He would also be a huge asset against teams that force us to go small, and he makes it very tough to double Dirk with small forwards.

Last edited by Stranger; 05-22-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think you ma be underrating Odom. If they would take Terry for him I would make the trade in a second. We would play him at small forward and move Josh to shooting guard. He can play in the post, and he averaged nearly as many assists as Terry last year. He would also be a huge asset against teams that force us to go small, and he makes it very tough to double Dirk with small forwards.
Maybe, but I am a fan of Odom. I just think that he is a Dirk-lite. If you play him at SF, then he is going to get to guard the McGrady's, Pierce's, Carter's of this world, and I haven't seen him be able to do that so far.

That would be a very interesting lineup though, if this were the only move done in the offseason.

Harris, Howard, Odom, Nowitzki, Damp/Diop (depending on matchup).
Very interesting to say the least.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Maybe, but I am a fan of Odom. I just think that he is a Dirk-lite. ...
I don't quite see it this way -- to me he's less *Dirk-lite* and more *Dirk-complementary*. His passing skills would really help this team and I would swear that I've seen him do some nice things inside at least against the Phoenix's of the world.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Man, I would MUCH rather have Mobley than Hughes. Mobley is still an undersized SG, but he's a good 3-4 inches and 30-40 pounds bigger than Terry.

I'm not sure I'd do it either, but I have ZERO interest in Hughes, that's for sure.
I can't really disagree with this. I'm not a big Hughes fan. At all.

But, I think Mobley is also a less efficient version of Terry. He's not a good defender, isn't any better as a passer or creator than Terry, and really doesn't do anything as well as Terry does. He just offers more size.

I don't think that's enough to do the deal.

It may be really tough to find a way to deal Terry.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Re: Odom, I see no way that LA would give up Odom for Terry. If they deal Odom, they'll be packaging him to try and land a big star like Jermaine O'Neal, Garnett, or Kidd.

EDIT: As for Varejao, I think Cleveland wants to keep him, and it'd have to be a sign-and-trade. Same for Kapono, and I'm not really comfortable paying Kapono what it would take to make such a deal work. Also, I don't think Kapono's enough in return for Terry.

Last edited by kg_veteran; 05-22-2007 at 11:58 AM.
kg_veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

jthig - One other thought about Mobley. A Mobley/No. 14 for Terry/No. 34 trade might have some appeal. What do you think?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #30
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Re: Odom, I see no way that LA would give up Odom for Terry. If they deal Odom, they'll be packaging him to try and land a big star like Jermaine O'Neal, Garnett, or Kidd.
yeah, but I think the Lakers are being a bit optimistic if they think they can get O'Neal or Garnett for Odom straight up.

I elsewhere put forward Howard for Odom. I think Kobe could use a guy like Howard more than Odom -- Howard could take some of Kobe's scoring early and some of Kobe's defense late....who cares if Howard can't or won't score in the 4th quarter so long as you've got Kobe?

....plausibly, I think Dirk would benefit more from a guy like Odom than Howard.

then again, I'd hate to see J-Ho in a Lakers uniform.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #31
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I didn't say straight up, I said in a package. I think LA would have to offer Odom/Bynum/No. 1 to get O'Neal.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #32
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

I think Kwame Brown is more likely the center of a Lakers trade than Odom. How does adding Terry for Odom help LA?

Houston is a horrible trading partner, not to mention that they play in our division.

Cleveland would definitely be in the Finals with Terry. Have you seen Hughes this post-seaon? He's been awful! Much rather have Gooden, but once again how does that help Cleveland?

Nobody on Miami really helps us win a championship either.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM   #33
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
I think Kwame Brown is more likely the center of a Lakers trade than Odom. How does adding Terry for Odom help LA?
LA could use a true scorer to take some of the load off of Kobe for extended periods of time.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #34
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
jthig - One other thought about Mobley. A Mobley/No. 14 for Terry/No. 34 trade might have some appeal. What do you think?
Hmm. I think I might do that.

#14 in this draft is a pretty nice pick.

On your point about Mobley not doing anything as well as Terry, the thing he does well is play an actual SG position. I'm personally not AS concerned with the prototypical size of a SG (although it's certainly preferable), but rather with the prototypical ROLE of a SG.

Mobley could come in and bring a lot of what Terry gives this team, except that it wouldn't be at the expense of Harris or whatever PG this team wants to play.

It's not a perfect scenario, that's for sure. I'd prefer a lot more from my SG spot. But I think Mobley might fit better than Terry. Maybe.

I do think I'd do that deal if those draft picks were involved. If nothing else it chops three years off the contract, while getting a (possibly) similarly productive player.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #35
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
I don't see why Boston, Memphis, or Seattle would be interested in Terry. None of those teams are going to contend for a few years.
You don't think with Terry the Celtics become a contender in the East? Honestly, I don't even see why they have the worst record in basketball anyway. But if they get that #1 pick they definately become contenders. I was listening to some idiot on ESPN 103.3 on the weekend from Boston and he believes that if they don't get the #1 pick then they will trade out because they actually feel they can contend right now but only with Oden and not Durant. I'm not sure where JET would fit with Boston because they are high on Delonte West but maybe in a 6th man role?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #36
alexamenos
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
You don't think with Terry the Celtics become a contender in the East? Honestly, I don't even see why they have the worst record in basketball anyway. But if they get that #1 pick they definately become contenders....
A Jefferson/Oden frontcourt is gonna be a contender for a long, long, long time.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #37
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
A Jefferson/Oden frontcourt is gonna be a contender for a long, long, long time.
Could be an overnight change. T. Allen was really coming on this year before he got injured. G. Green came on too.

PG: West/Rondo
SG: Sczerb/Green
SF: Pierce/Allen
PF: Jefferson/Gomes
C: Oden/Perkins

This lineup in the east could definitely get in at 8 or 7 seed if they are healthy. They could trade Telfair and/or Sczerb for anything needed

Last edited by MascisMan; 05-22-2007 at 01:55 PM.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #38
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
One other thing. Terry's not a spring chicken, and he makes a lot of money now, so any team looking to acquire him would have to have pretty immediate championship (or deep playoff) aspirations.

So what teams fit this definition? IMO, there are only a few:

Houston (McGrady)
Los Angeles (Kobe)
Cleveland (LeBron)
Miami (Wade)
Good list. I could also see Philly being interested in Terry. Not because they're looking at a deep playoff run anytime soon, but they've got a GM who's trying to save his job and needs to show definitive improvement next year.

Outside of those teams though, I don't think there's much of a market for the guy. As you've already said teams are going to be scared off by something, be it his contract or him being a tweener.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #39
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan
Could be an overnight change. T. Allen was really coming on this year before he got injured. G. Green came on too.

PG: West/Rondo
SG: Sczerb/Green
SF: Pierce/Allen
PF: Jefferson/Gomes
C: Oden/Perkins

This lineup in the east could definitely get in at 8 or 7 seed if they are healthy. They could trade Telfair and/or Sczerb for anything needed
if that lineup becomes reality and they stay healthy and oden really makes as much of an impact as ppl think he will then that might even put them at around #4 or 5 in the east.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #40
argo

argo is on a distinguished road

I think Terry would do well in Portland as a PG next to Roy.
I also think they would rather add vets then add more youth.

Depending on what they get in the draft,

I could see Terry ,Ager and a future for Joel Przy. Webster, and Jack.

Both teams would benifit from that trade.
argo is offline   Reply With Quote